Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I wouldn't mind a few more production chains - especially if I start disabling biters in future games - but Bob's seems to add way too much stuff for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

seravid posted:

I wouldn't mind a few more production chains - especially if I start disabling biters in future games - but Bob's seems to add way too much stuff for no good reason.

To add, I wouldn't be against more delayed time-gating using research for these new production chains. With large-scale iron and steel coming up around the same time that oil does, I wouldn't enjoy having another parallel task. Having more "end-game" production chains would be nice, if only as an alternative (or complement?) to rocket production.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Is there an announced release date for 0.15? My googling only leads to old forum posts saying it's coming soon.

I'm in love with flamethrower turrets, they're amazing at beating large enemy rushes.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
anyone know of a mod that can read the recipe of an assembly machine to the circuit network? i want to have a blueprint thats a group of assembly plants feeding active provider chests, and I want the inserters to enable when plant recipe signal = 0. So they only run if logistic network calls for it, basically. But without me having to manually set up each inserter (and invariably loving one up, leading to an infinite supply of something dumb).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is there a good explanation of how the pipe fluid dynamics work when different materials are in the same pipe? I tried to make the equivalent of a rainbow belt for liquids but it seems like a full pipe of heavy oil exerts zero pressure on an adjacent pipe tile of petroleum gas.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there a good explanation of how the pipe fluid dynamics work when different materials are in the same pipe? I tried to make the equivalent of a rainbow belt for liquids but it seems like a full pipe of heavy oil exerts zero pressure on an adjacent pipe tile of petroleum gas.

Yes, the explanation is "only one type of fluid can be in a pipe." You can't do a rainbow pipe.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Solumin posted:

Yes, the explanation is "only one type of fluid can be in a pipe." You can't do a rainbow pipe.
From what I can tell the setup I made would still work if it was possible to "empty" a pipe (or tank) via pumps, but that seems to only happen some of the time. How exactly do pumps work?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If the other side of a pump is not the same fluid or an empty pipe, it's not going to drain. Since a pipe system tends to spread out its fluid equally, you need to fully empty that section of pipe the pump is servicing before another fluid will be pushed into it.

Also be sure the pump is connected to your power grid. I'm pretty sure you already know this but it's one of those idiot moments that can slip the mind.

EDIT: Could also get a screenshot of the setup for easier trouble-shooting?

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Is there a way to reset your password? I caved and wanted to try out mods but the mods thing requires a password. I just threw in... something... in that field when I first got the game and now I have no idea what it was :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC you get diminishing returns trying to empty a pipe with a pump because level becomes a big part of the flow calculations, especially in isolated rainbow spots where it becomes the only impetus to flow.

It feels like in any case you are counting on trying to make a pipe completely empty and virgin you end up waiting until trash collection decides the pipe is empty. Pumps and fluid consumers eat it fast till there's a fraction that doesn't want to do anything until the cleanup code says enough is enough.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh god

I decided to tear up my old factory and rebuild it as I was running out of space and had kind of painted myself in a corner. And hey, that's what construction bots are for, right?

10 hours later and I'm still trying to get things back in order.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I started a game with Arumba's pack with Bob's mods and Angel Ores.

Dear god.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Demiurge4 posted:

I started a game with Arumba's pack with Bob's mods and Angel Ores.

Dear god.

Does it include the petrochemical refining as well?
Because if so, may god have mercy on your soul.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh god

I decided to tear up my old factory and rebuild it as I was running out of space and had kind of painted myself in a corner. And hey, that's what construction bots are for, right?

Never tear down, just build newer and better off to the side. More production is always better.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh god

This poo poo always happens to me. I tore down my old rail station that handled all my ore shipments and it's been twenty hours and it's still not remade.

Edit: I forgot to mention since literally no ore is coming in, production has ground to a halt. I've got tonnes of pollution produced from my boilers to keep all the idle stuff powered and my roboports charged since I've got hundreds of construction bots tearing things down, building stuff, then tearing that stuff down because I'm not happy with how it is. I've been mainly occupied with ensuring boilers have a steady supply of coal (which keeps running out super quick) and that the defenses are strong enough to keep repelling these drat biters.

It's gotten to the point where I just want to start a new map but I figured I'll wait for the new patch.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 21, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tesla was right posted:

Does it include the petrochemical refining as well?
Because if so, may god have mercy on your soul.

I think so yes. I can see about a million chemical processes in the research tree.

I'm going to stay at it. It's good training for my field.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Demiurge4 posted:

I think so yes. I can see about a million chemical processes in the research tree.

I'm going to stay at it. It's good training for my field.

Just remember that Angel's has a lot of redundant methods for producing the same things. There's also a decent number of uses for waste material, as you can recombine it back into something useful.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Just remember that Angel's has a lot of redundant methods for producing the same things. There's also a decent number of uses for waste material, as you can recombine it back into something useful.

Yeah so far I've noticed that the ore sorter gives a good return on the process by duplicating ores. The problem is that it creates slag and without slag processing or filter inserters (green science) I can't reliably get rid of it so it just sits in the machine. I've gotten tin and lead production up though so the next step is to get some green science and get the those techs but man there's a lot of steps involved in creating them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah so far I've noticed that the ore sorter gives a good return on the process by duplicating ores. The problem is that it creates slag and without slag processing or filter inserters (green science) I can't reliably get rid of it so it just sits in the machine. I've gotten tin and lead production up though so the next step is to get some green science and get the those techs but man there's a lot of steps involved in creating them.

Try loaders. They're part of the mod pack. Each loader has filters that can be set, and if you place a loader and then rotate it, you can configure it between removing material from an attached chest or warehouse and adding a material to an attached chest or warehouse. Arumba's rocket per patron playthrough has a pretty good setup using them in the early game.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Demiurge4 posted:

The start is a terrible grind. I have a save with 2 or 3 days played time where I've just started the real (ie second) main factory, sorted out all ore type processing, got slag and gems under control. I ran out of interest before I got knuckled down and sorted the whole oil/gas mess. One way to deal with the early problems is using chests. From the crusher to a chest and let assemblers pick the stone out - no filters needed. Same with the sorter and slag.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Demiurge4 posted:

Definitely try loaders, I don't think I'll be able to play without them anymore.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Field report: Loaders are kind of amazing and once I realized that silo's aren't actually limited to only their given ore type (its entirely cosmetic) I managed to create a very efficient crusher to sorter network that feeds into my smelters.

Pollution is becoming a problem though and I think this pack has rampant AI.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Returning to this game after a break has made me realize that it's possibly my favourite game of all time. With the exception of a couple of quality of life mods (that Bottleneck one is new since I last played and great) the vanilla game still holds enough interest and challenge to keep me going and I don't think I really need any more complexity.

At the moment I'm not really bothered about rockets and spending most of my time playing with the logistic and circuit networks. How well the game runs and how it manages to keep track of everything without a hitch (or glitch) never fails to impress me either. Also, the updates to trains since I last played are pretty sweet.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Ratzap posted:

The start is a terrible grind. I have a save with 2 or 3 days played time where I've just started the real (ie second) main factory, sorted out all ore type processing, got slag and gems under control. I ran out of interest before I got knuckled down and sorted the whole oil/gas mess. One way to deal with the early problems is using chests. From the crusher to a chest and let assemblers pick the stone out - no filters needed. Same with the sorter and slag.

I have been playing around with a Bob's/Angle's pack for a month or so now. I am convinced that the trick is to not dick with all the fancy ore processing crap until you can do the full chain of it. The intermediate steps don't seem to increase ore yield all that much and the by products range between useless and useless until much later in the game.

If you start by just setting up a mine->crush->smelt for dark blue, light blue, brown, and red ores. This will get you a steady stream of iron, copper, tin, lead, and crushed rock these plus a wood source will be all you need for a long time.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
can someone link the bob's / angel's super mod?

like, I want to maximize optimize global maxima gradient-ascent find the purest 9 9s of autism possible

Hagop
May 14, 2012

This is the mod pack I am using: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=31146

Be warned this is like pack is like carfentanil grade autism. If I was not playing with a team of guys I am not sure I could even stand it (and I don't really mind playing gregtech).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hagop posted:

I have been playing around with a Bob's/Angle's pack for a month or so now. I am convinced that the trick is to not dick with all the fancy ore processing crap until you can do the full chain of it. The intermediate steps don't seem to increase ore yield all that much and the by products range between useless and useless until much later in the game.

If you start by just setting up a mine->crush->smelt for dark blue, light blue, brown, and red ores. This will get you a steady stream of iron, copper, tin, lead, and crushed rock these plus a wood source will be all you need for a long time.

I did pretty much that. The 2nd base I got half build does the all but the last step (refining). I have warehouses full of processed ores and factorios churning out plates. It's just so loving huge and tedious though.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Are there any mods somewhere between vanilla and Bobs? Bobs is just too over the top for everything for my taste but something more than vanilla would be nice.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been watching a series of Youkis Modpack. It is far more complex, but basically entirely optional. Seems to kick in around the midgame roboport range.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LtSmash posted:

Are there any mods somewhere between vanilla and Bobs? Bobs is just too over the top for everything for my taste but something more than vanilla would be nice.
What parts of Bob's do you like/dislike?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I did pretty much that. The 2nd base I got half build does the all but the last step (refining). I have warehouses full of processed ores and factorios churning out plates. It's just so loving huge and tedious though.

It is, when I switched to full chain processing I when with a satellite base setup. Having a mini base setup to just handle one step of the process gets the size down to reasonable and makes cloning simple when you need to up throughput.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Maybe someone here could be interested, the Factorio team is looking for a 3D artist!

https://www.gamedev.net/classifieds/item/5107-3d-artist-factorio/

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I started playing this a few days ago and I think I'm overlooking some fundamentals that maybe some goons can help me with. I'm playing through the campaign to get a feel for all the systems and although I'm not very far I think I'm not learning important lessons. I am having a difficult time producing things like steel, ammo, and research units or both kinds. This was painfully obvious in the mission they introduce railways, because I was unable to build a rail engine although I was able to repair the tracks to the north west and south east mines. I had to export the ore via very long conveyor belts which worked but was slow and surely not ideal. By the end of that map I was running out of resources to build the last AP rounds needed to advance and only had enough processed materials coming in for one assembler to make the ammo. The next base building map is the one that introduces oil, but I can't get research units quick enough while also building ammo and I guess carting it up to the shaky defenses the map starts with.

For example, for the mission that introduces oil, my first goal is research units. So I break make some belts and assemblers to take the copper and iron that's already being mined and make research 1. I think I need to leverage more of the long-reaching injectors because I could only get two assemblers making the research 1 unit. Getting the research 2 units are even more difficult due to the more elaborate requirements and require me to siphon off iron sheets into injectors. Around this time I started receiving alerts that all of my turrets had run out of ammo and that biters were destroying my defenses. So now I have ammo issues to worry about and trying to get that in place slows everything else down. None of this is even really touching on my inability to make enough steel to make significant railway lines or cars.

So my questions: When starting a campaign map should my first order of business be expanding the provided mining operations so I have more ore to work with, then expanding the smelters and storage also provided? Is there a way around bee-lining for ammo and either building a massive belt to the front line or delivering it by hand to keep my base from being overrun? I'm being a filter at work at the moment so I can't check, but does the wiki have sample layouts for assembly centers for things like steel and research units (kind of like the Dwarf Fortress has for engineering projects). Any other advice for someone just starting out? I like games like this, things like Infinifactory and Big Pharma, but I think the game has higher expectations for my ability to produce than I can muster at this point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
More mining means more production means more end products. Never stop building.

The campaigns are sort of weird microcosms of activity that doesn't always translate to sandbox but are good examples of what the cookie cutter designs for mining and manufacturing are if you don't want to check out youtubes.

Cookie cutter is maybe the wrong word for Factorio designs. The beauty of the supply chain is that everything is used to build everything else, so you see general ideas more often, and truly cookie cutter designs only pop up for a couple staples or post end game bases meant for producing unimaginable shitloads of stuff.

Ratios can help shore up production issues, and show whether its your design or a lack of materials holding things up. Lets take research 2 as an example. 6 assemblers making research 2 is a "good start." It can supply something like 7-20something labs depending on the cycle speed of whatever tech is chosen. 6 assemblers making research 2 in turn need (less than but we'll round up to) 1 assembler making basic inserters. So its useful to get 1 assembler making basic inserters, and it puts those inserters on a belt touching the 6 assemblers making research 2.

So what does 1 assembler making basic inserters need? Electronic circuits, gear wheels, and iron plates. Iron plates are used for everything, so you likely have a main trunk or a bus as its often called of iron plates getting delivered everywhere. Raw materials and plates are easiest handled reactively because the accounting gets nuts. So, gear wheels. One iron gear wheel can supply one assembler making inserters. So you can have an assembler directly next to it making gear wheels, and the wheels get passed directly from one to the other. This is useful because gear wheels make 2 per 1 iron plate, which can clog up belts comparatively because you are making more voluminous things.

That leaves electronic circuits. You need one electonic circuit assembler for 1 basic inserter assembler. Basic circuits take wire, another thing that makes more voluminous stuff. This is where a cookie cutter build first pops its head in. 1 electronic circuit assembler needs 1.5 wire assemblers, so most people take the cookie cutter option where you take 3 assemblers making wire, and they directly feed 2 assemblers making electronic circuits. You then deliver those circuits to the inserter assember. And usually other places. Green circuits turn into your lifeblood eventually.

That's all kind of confusing in words. Its a bit easier to puzzle out in the game itself and checking youtubes when you have a question that a google search can parse. Oh wait, i forgot this guide exists. Its basically the manual that should come with it. Its 100% up to date but the major stuff is all there, and it has examples of some of the actual cookie cutter builds like power stations and that green circuit build I mention.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Thanks for the reply, that jives with some of the optimizations I was working out in my head. Can I get clarification on what a bus or truck looks like? Reading it in the OP I imagined it was like a hub for my factories, but is it actually a long belt or series of belts that carts product through to different assembly centers? In some images I see two rows of two belts, is that a bus? I haven't made anything like, my bases have been more "I need gears so let me make a long winding belt to the nearest open space then try to jam as many inserters and assemblers and belts as I can in an area". It's.... not ideal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The difference between a super serious designed bus and spaghetti transport is often philosophical. The basic idea behind a bus is a trunk and branch situation. From beginning to end you need all the iron and copper plates in the world. So to start you mentally mark a through way from your smelting area to infinity. Along this throughway you have belts meant to take iron and copper plates from where there is not space to where there is space. You take branches off this trunk to subfactories making something specific. For example, you have a science 1 branch and a science 2 branch where you use a belt splitter to take off enough copper and iron to make the final product.

People get serious business about bus design, but its mostly academic. The first google result is an example of a serious business bus. But you don't need multiple lanes, rebalancing mechanisms etc. until you get into seriously large business. I usually keep a template of 2 wide in my head and with a few markers, because you can launch a rocket in sandbox without multiple lanes of plates. My factories definitely split the difference between bus and spaghetti but you can get an idea of how you can use a bus to organize without falling into the pit of theoretically perfect multi lane balancing and other weird stuff nerds get into.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A bus is like a highway that carries resources. It's a centralized place for assembly areas to take input from, and stick output onto. This way, you don't have to worry about pathing a belt from each assembly area to each other assembly area that requires its output, you just have to have each area be connected to the bus. This also allows you to build your factory in a more modular way. If, for example, you notice you need more green chips for something, you can just stick more green chip assemblers at some point along the bus that feed into your depleted green chip belt or shut down some green chip hungry machine you have, and it just works, since the green chip consumers don't care where their green chips come from, and the green chip producers don't care where they go.

In short, yeah, it's just a bunch of belts running in parallel, but the power comes from its modularity and infinite extensibility.

Here's a random picture from the internet of a main bus based factory

This is what main bus factories look like in general, even if this one is a little messy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A bus is also a good idea for your first playthrough when you don't really know how much of X/Y/Z you're gonna need down the line. Am I going to need more gears later? I don't know, let me just stick it onto the bus and be done with it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you bus an expanding resource like gears I will fight you irl. Never bus gears or wire. Only bus plastic bars if you hate pipes (very valid reason to bus plastic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

If you bus an expanding resource like gears I will fight you irl. Never bus gears or wire. Only bus plastic bars if you hate pipes (very valid reason to bus plastic).

:agreed: