Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I am yet to see a way to shink a virtual disk and actually reclaim the space without spending a huge amount of ops doing it. Growing is no problem and can happen on the fly, you're much better setting smaller disks and dealing with people bumping in to the limits and cleaning up at that point before expanding allocations than letting idiocy or a malfunctioning application brim a drive with garbage which then cascades in to your storage replication and backup sets.

in virtualbox at least it's easy to set it so guest OS TRIM commands cause the disk file to shrink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jewel posted:

oh my God, furbies have an accessible debug menu and it shows up in their eyes and the future owns

wonder what the BoM cost would have been to be able to address the LCDs separately instead of having them mirror each other (and thus restoring their ability to wink)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Dylan16807 posted:

in virtualbox at least it's easy to set it so guest OS TRIM commands cause the disk file to shrink.

that works on babby's first vm running on a single ssd. do that against a real storage array and youre back to disk ops city

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/823337091719397377

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

america, where you only have to report security breaches if they affect your investors rather than the actual people breached :911:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

america, where you only have to report security breaches if they affect your investors rather than the actual people breached :911:

Not true in California at least.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Not true in California at least.

Most infosec breach legislation as it impacts customers is on the state level IIRC. I imagine (hope) states are going initiate investigations in the wake of the federal investigation

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

flosofl posted:

Most infosec breach legislation as it impacts customers is on the state level IIRC. I imagine (hope) states are going initiate investigations in the wake of the federal investigation

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

BiohazrD posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so, uh this is maybe a thing

quote:

Russia arrests top manager at Kaspersky cybersecurity firm on treason charge

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

john mcafee was right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flosofl posted:

unless you mean a federal investigation into why yahoo engineers weren't in the crowd at the inauguration or if any of them voted for clinton, :lol:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hobbesmaster posted:

unless you mean a federal investigation into why yahoo engineers weren't in the crowd at the inauguration or if any of them voted for clinton, :lol:

are you now or have you ever been a member of the democratic party?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they were always unusually insistent on saying they never analysed russian gov malware, even after the us dropped the iocs mentioning samples they had analysed prior

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they were always unusually insistent on saying they never analysed russian gov malware, even after the us dropped the iocs mentioning samples they had analysed prior

I heard that he was under investigation before he joined Kapersky

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's being reported that the charges relate to his work for russian internal cyber-security, before he joined kaspersky, but since he's going to be tried by a secret military tribunal it's not like that's verifiable.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I mean its prob hard to know youre analyzing gov malware until you actually start analyzing

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pr0zac posted:

I mean its prob hard to know youre analyzing gov malware until you actually start analyzing
given an unknown source sure, but you can have an idea given targets beforehand. either way i say unusually insistent based on how other firms discuss their nation's malware as well

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/dogboner/status/824355598565330944

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao

anonymous starts a shooting war with china by hacking the president's twitter - coming 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
there was some article today that said that trump is tweeting from his old, decrepit android phone

we're going to have a press conference where he's like "what is cyka blyat and why is it all over my phone? it's nonsense! it's just these made up words"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Shellphish did a pretty amazing dump of all the poo poo they did for the darpa wizard grand challenge: http://phrack.org/papers/cyber_grand_shellphish.html

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Phone posted:

there was some article today that said that trump is tweeting from his old, decrepit android phone

It's not like he has to worry about the Russians hacking his phone, so why should he worry?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's some good stuff in the Mirai source code:

code:
                table_unlock_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME);
                // If path contains ".anime" kill.
                if (util_stristr(realpath, rp_len - 1, table_retrieve_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME, NULL)) != -1)
                {
                    unlink(realpath);
                    kill(pid, 9);
                }
                table_lock_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME);
Seems that Mirai was a variant of killallnerds.exe all along.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Probably just a random guess. VMware/Hyper-V defaults the OS disk to 40-50gb and encourages you to split that in to other disks for data vols so they can be tiered differently, apply ssd caching, whatever. It's a pretty good giveaway for a VM and potentially an analysis sandbox, especially if you are checking for the disk size and not the volume size since I don't think you can get anything smaller than 60gb ssd's in a normal desktop these days.

As for overhead for thin provisioning, you get a little bit of a write penalty as the virtual disk inflates and writes to new blocks (typically allocated in chunks of a couple MB) but there's not a lot of scenarios where this will have quantifiable impact in most use cases

i've run into garbage-tier craptops from major brands with celerons, windows 10, and 32gb emmc for storage

yes lady your computer is running slowly. yes i know you just bought it. no there is nothing we can do about it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

spankmeister posted:

There's some good stuff in the Mirai source code:

code:
                table_unlock_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME);
                // If path contains ".anime" kill.
                if (util_stristr(realpath, rp_len - 1, table_retrieve_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME, NULL)) != -1)
                {
                    unlink(realpath);
                    kill(pid, 9);
                }
                table_lock_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME);
Seems that Mirai was a variant of killallnerds.exe all along.

lmbo

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Security Fuckup Megathread - If path contains ".anime" kill

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/824614107034820609

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

lmaoooooooooo

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there was a similar garbage tweet the day before that got quickly deleted iirc

any conf on that being his password

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
guess i'm safe, all my paths contain anime

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
snowden died in vain https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/25/presidential-executive-order-enhancing-public-safety-interior-united

quote:

Sec. 14. Privacy Act. Agencies shall, to the extent consistent with applicable law, ensure that their privacy policies exclude persons who are not United States citizens or lawful permanent residents from the protections of the Privacy Act regarding personally identifiable information.

if you're not a us citizen get your poo poo out of us services. probably if you're us citizen too :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Truga posted:

snowden died in vain https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/25/presidential-executive-order-enhancing-public-safety-interior-united

if you're not a us citizen get your poo poo out of us services. probably if you're us citizen too :v:

well thats kinda the same as before, but explicit, no?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powaqoatse posted:

well thats kinda the same as before, but explicit, no?

How so? Legal residents and visitors to the US enjoy the full protection of law.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

How so? Legal residents and visitors to the US enjoy the full protection of law.

Well, yeah, but now it's also legal. Until now there was that safe harbour replacement thing: http://fortune.com/2016/02/02/looks-like-data-will-keep-flowing-from-the-eu-to-the-u-s-after-all/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

to the extent that the law can be flexed, for compelling reasons like "because we can" and "gently caress you"

don't put your pii on a server in someone else's country or your own country

• Locked thread