Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Relatively new to the game and managed to pull 3 banners so far. I'm about to do one more and I'm wondering if it's worth doing a second on volume 2. I was relatively lucky first time since I got platinum sword, Excalibur and twin lance. Is it worth going for the grimoire manamune and terras rod? Also any recommendations on the armour slot to pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Pulled Krille BSB and a dupe Alphinaud Deployment Tactics.

Little sour I pulled a dupe on a giant banner I have basically nothing on, but that's my mage BSB count at 2 now.

I actually have an interesting possible setup now -

Hope BSB, Krille BSB, Selphie BSB, Ley lines and Deployment Tactics.

Three (stackable) faith buffs, ProShellga access, Hastega, Quickcast and Radiant Shield.
Downsides - no Medica or Wall. RWing Arc's instant medica/pblink would own, but I'm still wall-less and no wall *and* no native Medica is probably a little too much.

I also have no mage hones :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I pulled twice. First pull got me Terra's OSB and BSB. 2nd pull got me her SSB. I previously had no relics for her. This game really wants me to use her now. I cracked her 80 cap because I had MC3s laying around.

I'm really happy about this because I have very little good mage gear and this helps a ton. I also just like Terra. She's really good even without relics but she's a Death Star now.

There's also the fanboyism factor. FF6 is my favorite of the main numbered series and I always liked Terra as a character.

QUESTION: Can someone please explain the CPU Nightmare boss fight? I checked reddit and even the detailed explanation is hard to figure out. I know which breakdowns to use on which orbs but apparently there's a timing issue I'm missing. I also can't seem to consistently get it to put up the barriers after killing both orbs.

After the orbs regenerate I use the breakdowns the way it's described, but then Multi-Break doesn't seem to cause the orbs to go haywire the way they should. Could someone do a simple step-by-step guide please?

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Do big exp events like the recent greens one come around very often? Feeling tempted to burn the last of my stock of eggs getting some characters to 80 to attempt ultima raids. Seems like nightmare dungeons are probably off the table until I get a deeper roster, and a much deeper ability pool.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok. I'm gonna get that damned hot potato curada dungeon over and finished with today. I have arc and minwu as healers with their ssb instant curaga medicas. I have yshtola with her pro-shellga and ss2, along with tyro and his sg as mitigation and both have like 400 mind. I also have tyro and onion knight fully kited out with ninja magic, hitting the magic cap. Tyro has an r4 phantasm and r4 water veil with a water boost armor with the mako might rm. Onion knight has an r4 gust, an r2 smoldering fire and a wind boost armor with the ninja rm.

All I'm missing is native hastega. I guess I'll make my rm that, as there's nothing else an rw can do for me. Unless I bring some sort of white magic attack bsb, but I have a strong feeling it won't be that helpful.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Curada boss is weak to holy right? I picked up Hope BSB + OSB and Cid Raines BSB since last time nightmares rolled around so :getin:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

QUESTION: Can someone please explain the CPU Nightmare boss fight? I checked reddit and even the detailed explanation is hard to figure out. I know which breakdowns to use on which orbs but apparently there's a timing issue I'm missing. I also can't seem to consistently get it to put up the barriers after killing both orbs.

After the orbs regenerate I use the breakdowns the way it's described, but then Multi-Break doesn't seem to cause the orbs to go haywire the way they should. Could someone do a simple step-by-step guide please?

Phase 1 is just a burn phase. Both nodes need to die at roughly the same time, and that time needs to be before the CPU's countdown finishes.

You'll know Phase 2 has begun when you see the red Physical Barrier / laser. At this point, use Armor Breakdown on the Defense Node.
Shortly or immediately afterwards, you will see the red power circle, at which point you should use Power Breakdown on the Attack Node.
The Defense Node's next action will be to put up the purple Magic Barrier, which you should respond to by using Mental Breakdown on it. If your Mental Breakdown goes off before the Defense Node puts up the magic barrier, it won't work.
The Attack Node's next action will be to put up the purple magic circle, at which point you should use Magic Breakdown on it. If your Magic Breakdown goes off before the Attack Node puts up the magic circle, it won't work.
After all four breakdowns have been used and all four barriers dispelled (you should see messages that the nodes are "overheating"), use Multi Break. The Defense Node should start healing you and the Attack Node should start blasting the CPU core. Use this time to do as much damage to the CPU itself as you can, but avoid AoE damage since if you kill the nodes you'll advance to Phase 3 - a damage race which your party is almost certain to lose.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Nah, it actually is the instant cast. Basically the only situation where the ether is going to result in better net damage is if you're able to get Tiamat to 3 hits, major AoE fights, or wind resistant/weak to something else situations.

The VAST majority of the time best DPS is just spamming command one for Chain instant wind damage. It's great because it's a chainable instant cast - like Raines - but on a BSB with a matching EnElement. As icing, the commands are coded as Summon, so you can use materia that boost that school to great effect as well, freeing up Devotion et al for others. (Also, it's one of the few offensive BSB's that won't make Valigarmanda counter and kill you because of this. M)

Well that's exciting. I already spent some motes to open up 5* Magic, I assume Alph's BSB is future proof enough to dive the Summoner stuff? There's like 12% more summoning damage there.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Philouza posted:

Well that's exciting. I already spent some motes to open up 5* Magic, I assume Alph's BSB is future proof enough to dive the Summoner stuff? There's like 12% more summoning damage there.

Yes.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Varance posted:

This is what happens when the nightmare draw decides to gift you a bunch of Blood Swords. Meet the real TERROR BALTIMORE:

:stare:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The magic softcap is 1054 fyi. With Devotion and a single Faithga they'd have Terra over it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Valigarmanda was fun, though it was kind of tedious to wait on the barriers to line up just right (I know you don't have to but I keep killing the orb and resetting everything if I dont)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Valigarmanda was fun, though it was kind of tedious to wait on the barriers to line up just right (I know you don't have to but I keep killing the orb and resetting everything if I dont)

If you have enough summon hones,.or a summon bsb you can brute force it pretty easily.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Combo posted:

Also never use optimize.

At least optimize is better now than it was at launch. Constantly prioritizing shared SBs over everything else was hell

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

AweStriker posted:

Phase 1 is just a burn phase. Both nodes need to die at roughly the same time, and that time needs to be before the CPU's countdown finishes.

You'll know Phase 2 has begun when you see the red Physical Barrier / laser. At this point, use Armor Breakdown on the Defense Node.
Shortly or immediately afterwards, you will see the red power circle, at which point you should use Power Breakdown on the Attack Node.
The Defense Node's next action will be to put up the purple Magic Barrier, which you should respond to by using Mental Breakdown on it. If your Mental Breakdown goes off before the Defense Node puts up the magic barrier, it won't work.
The Attack Node's next action will be to put up the purple magic circle, at which point you should use Magic Breakdown on it. If your Magic Breakdown goes off before the Attack Node puts up the magic circle, it won't work.
After all four breakdowns have been used and all four barriers dispelled (you should see messages that the nodes are "overheating"), use Multi Break. The Defense Node should start healing you and the Attack Node should start blasting the CPU core. Use this time to do as much damage to the CPU itself as you can, but avoid AoE damage since if you kill the nodes you'll advance to Phase 3 - a damage race which your party is almost certain to lose.

Oh ok. I'm not waiting for the barriers to show up. I'll try being less pro-active. Thanks!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

NEVER OPTIMIZE should be written on every FFRK goon's soul in words of fire

please never use that garbage function, just save your own premade teams and use your load re: synergy and abilities/sbs/rms

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So I'm building babies first mage team and I need advice. Here is what I'm working with

Tyro with wall
Krill with sheepsong
Alphinaud with deployment tactics
Rinoa BSB
Yuna with BSB2

Am I overlooking dumb stuff like overwriting buffs and does this team Comp make any sense?

Beyond that, what sort of abilities should I be looking to pack/hone? I've never messed with any magic but I got your standard full breaks/downs curaja and protect/shell.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think optimize is that bad anymore outside of a few oddities like if you wanna make tyro a mage.

The most important thing is to put the characters with fewer weapon options near the top so they get first dibs.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Farg posted:

So I'm building babies first mage team and I need advice. Here is what I'm working with

Tyro with wall
Krill with sheepsong
Alphinaud with deployment tactics
Rinoa BSB
Yuna with BSB2

Am I overlooking dumb stuff like overwriting buffs and does this team Comp make any sense?

Beyond that, what sort of abilities should I be looking to pack/hone? I've never messed with any magic but I got your standard full breaks/downs curaja and protect/shell.

Looks like a solid backbone! If you have any good and complementary SB's for a support or dancer (say, Rikku's Mug ATK/RES, or Faris burst, etc), you can consider swapping them in for Tyro and using an RW wall sometimes.

Alternately keep Tyro and load up your friends list with Raines BSB's and murder everything.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Optimize works just fine for outfitting your grinding party with RS weapons for the dailies. It saves a lot of time.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok, curada nightmare demolished. I'm glad I decided to heavily invest in ninja magic, because I needed drat well every hone. I was super sloppy too, only did 2 hits of the launcher to the guardian. I also got the affliction break nightmare done, as I forgot to finish it last time. It was super easy. I didn't even need to bother with 3 dooms, I could have done it with 2.

But now I'm looking at the current apocalypse dungeon, and I do not see how I can possibly deal enough damage to chew through 445k health. Maybe if I rely on shadow and minifilia's bsb's? 455k hp is loving insane though.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

RagnarokAngel posted:

The most important thing is to put the characters with fewer weapon options near the top so they get first dibs.

This is exactly what I do and outside of some weird niche stat preferences on occasion optimize works just fine.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Sprite141 posted:

Ok, curada nightmare demolished. I'm glad I decided to heavily invest in ninja magic, because I needed drat well every hone. I was super sloppy too, only did 2 hits of the launcher to the guardian. I also got the affliction break nightmare done, as I forgot to finish it last time. It was super easy. I didn't even need to bother with 3 dooms, I could have done it with 2.

But now I'm looking at the current apocalypse dungeon, and I do not see how I can possibly deal enough damage to chew through 445k health. Maybe if I rely on shadow and minifilia's bsb's? 455k hp is loving insane though.

The multi-player dungeon? Is there any reason you want to solo it, because goons can help you blow it up pretty easily.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
So I'm just now realizing... since Tenets of the Fayth is a Magic + Mind buff, that means it stacks with other Faithga SB's then?

(shame I don't have any other native Faithgas than Witch's Hat...)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Combo posted:

The multi-player dungeon? Is there any reason you want to solo it, because goons can help you blow it up pretty easily.

Oops, no I meant the torment dungeon.

Also, this may sound stupid but when you're calculating damage and poo poo, how do you add in the soft cap for stats? I'm trying to figure out how hard jecht is gonna hit with my r2 maxed out lifebane. Using just the normal damage calculations gives me about 82k total from that, which seems a bit too high for a torment dungeon.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
So I'm using this current opening Nightmare dungeon to catch up on about 4-5 Nightmares I didn't feel like fighting.

What exactly is the Necrophobe's gimmick? Neither Prof. Mog nor anyone in the forums of the official strategy site can provide a straightforward explanation. I'm assuming there's a way to get rid of/affect his barriers so he won't instakill everyone in his final phase, but... how?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SuperHappy posted:

So I'm using this current opening Nightmare dungeon to catch up on about 4-5 Nightmares I didn't feel like fighting.

What exactly is the Necrophobe's gimmick? Neither Prof. Mog nor anyone in the forums of the official strategy site can provide a straightforward explanation. I'm assuming there's a way to get rid of/affect his barriers so he won't instakill everyone in his final phase, but... how?

Do you have a source of magic blink? That's the easiest way to handle phase 3. That and Dismissal.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Shock Trooper posted:

So I'm just now realizing... since Tenets of the Fayth is a Magic + Mind buff, that means it stacks with other Faithga SB's then?

(shame I don't have any other native Faithgas than Witch's Hat...)
Yes. Mag+Mind is a 623 buff which is also used by Selphie's BSB and one of Serah's SSBs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/ has a list of the different buffs and what stacks, along with plenty of other info.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
CPU status: power creeped. I destroyed him before he even got to phase 2 :getin:

Now my only nightmare left is...necrophobe :ohdear:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Necrophobe is stupid easy. You don't have to worry about phase 3 if he doesn't get there, and he shouldn't. I have a ton of ssb's, stacking buffs and 2 bsb's for my support characters. I ended up only using a shout level buff and one bsb for damage. Most everything else was managing the doom timers.

Just pump up everyone as best you can with synergy. Faris with dash bite and thief's revenge, minifilia with saint's cross. Hit him hard, with 3 doom timers up he's a loving chump.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I hit my head against him a few times with a full synergy team before I realized I didn't need to do that thing and swapped out Ramza and Faris for Tidus and Y'shtola. With a boosted osb and wall wrathed into Asylum (so Tyro was free to use keeper's tome) he went down easily and I got all medals :toot:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Beasteh posted:

please never use that garbage function, just save your own premade teams and use your load re: synergy and abilities/sbs/rms

Optimize + fix is generally much faster than starting from scratch. Optimize will, in my experience, generally pick the correct weapons and correct accessories, sometimes get a couple armors right, and you have to set abilities & SB's yourself. If premade teams work for you, then great, but in my experience they are of limited utility.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

rujasu posted:

Optimize + fix is generally much faster than starting from scratch. Optimize will, in my experience, generally pick the correct weapons and correct accessories, sometimes get a couple armors right, and you have to set abilities & SB's yourself. If premade teams work for you, then great, but in my experience they are of limited utility.
Optimize sets default SBs on everyone and is therefore crap nonsense!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Optimize sets default SBs on everyone and is therefore crap nonsense!

Yes, that is annoying, but taking the SB's off is easy enough to do.

Or if you're running a daily, don't even worry about it because who needs SB's for that

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
For my levelling party I have them equipped standard (with four +exp RMs) and saved under favourites. When I'm grinding dailies optimize works great for all my synergy equipment.

I'm long past being able to auto-battle the highest difficulty dailies though I guess?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

What Nightmare is best to start with for a newbie like me?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Mill Village posted:

What Nightmare is best to start with for a newbie like me?
Depends on your SBs! If you have a bunch for combat people, Demon Wall is nice and easy. If you have SBs for black mages, you can probably destroy Ultima Buster.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Well, just cleared Reraise (Evrae got power-creeped by Yuna, Ysh'tola and Minwu's Bursts along with Vanille's Ether Medica and SG) and Curada (With Onion Knight the Fire Ninja taking Ysh'tola's Place because gently caress beating the Guardian the Hot Potato way: I had enough Fire-Resist Accessories his counter benefited my SB Gauges)...

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Depends on your SBs! If you have a bunch for combat people, Demon Wall is nice and easy. If you have SBs for black mages, you can probably destroy Ultima Buster.

I'm currently using a team with Asylum, Maria's Song, Sheepsong, Arbiter's Apocrypha (I just got this one today), and Beryl Serpent (or Sea Lord's Broadside if that's better).

Some of the other SBs I have that might be good are Trueblade of Legend, Winds of Home, Unsung Hero, Gilgamesh Morphing Time, Seething Waters, High Dive, Unshaken Resolve, Trigger Happy, Seal Evil, and Lunatic High.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Beasteh posted:

That might be why I'm struggling then :v That's basically all I've been using since the beginning.

• Locked thread