Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Make a custom scenario with permanent Toxic Fallout? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Finally got a bulk goods trader to show up after almost a year without one.

The caravan shows up at the edge of a map right next to a hungry bear. Bear munches one of the caravan's chickens so the guards and merchant all attack, the merchant happens to be RIGHT next to the bear so she goes into melee.

Merchant gets her leg shot off in the ensuing firefight, goes into shock. Rest of the caravan kills the bear and just leaves.

:sigh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why not call one in? Can't afford the fee?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tribal start is an interesting challenge. I've researched all the first level techs but it still says I'm neolithic and have to pay insane penalties. Is there a way to "civilize" or increase my tech level?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
nope, enjoy your slow growth

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I managed to club to death a pirate with an assault rifle, all we had were clubs, the odd knife, and pillas. I feel very strong now.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Tribal start is an interesting challenge. I've researched all the first level techs but it still says I'm neolithic and have to pay insane penalties. Is there a way to "civilize" or increase my tech level?

yes!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735268789

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You don't even really need to copy his design(s) verbatim, the idea behind how they're built works really well. Here is a base I had going and it was pretty easy to defend from raids (granted I only played about a game year before getting distracted). Just letting them waltz into the entrace area where your guys can shoot at them from doorways works really good.

where do you put the gun turrets in this kind of design?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Oh sure come into my house and sleep at the foot of my bed.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why not call one in? Can't afford the fee?

Yeah, I've got a ton of stuff to sell, but have not seen an exotic or bulk goods trader in a while now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dejawesp posted:

get one of the opposite sex and breed living bombs to throw at pirate bases

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I feel like Space Rimworld would almost have to be 3-D.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zhentar posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not... but no, it's ZorbaTHut.

Wasn't so much sarcasm, more like wishful thinking. You sure do seem to know a lot about the game.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Ah, yeah, I spend way, way more time than is reasonable analyzing the decompiled source (to the point that I have an ILSpy fork just for better RimWorld decompilation). But we're much better off with Zorba being the new dev. While I am pretty good at figuring out how things currently work, my strength past that is only with figuring out ways to do the same thing better. I practically no creativity for new systems and content.

Tynan did give me access to post bugs in the official bug tracker, though. A16 included fixes for about 40 bugs I had reported.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's really awesome. Thanks for helping make the game more enjoyable for us!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Know what I want? Something that makes getting pawns over addiction easier. Make it something that fulfills their drug need but keeps withdrawal symptoms, so they don't have the massive morale penalty but you still have something else to deal with. Go-juice withdrawal in incredibly rough to the point where very slight injuries are incapacitating due to pain, so honestly it's not like there aren't already big downsides.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i use smokeleaf for that, on go-juice especially. pain is still a problem, yes, but a joint goes a long way toward making the morale penalties bearable.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Dejawesp posted:

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to feed my family.

(It was just the one rat.)

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

BrainMeats posted:

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to feed my family.

(It was just the one rat.)

That's a mean rat

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Was the finger lost to the rat, or was it already gone?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I think it was already missing from another critter. Not so much a mean rat as the worst mercenary. She would go on to lose a leg and one of her bad ears to the vicious wildlife.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
embrasures would be balanced if the raiders where not stupid and/or had more explosive weapons.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Boomalopes are hilarious for defense. Get a small herd of them outside your gate/firebreak and let them feed off grass and do their thing most of the time. When raiders stop by set up a boomalope animal zone right on top of their asses and watch the charge of the lightly explosive brigade. If you have enough to make it through the first wave of casualties/explosions and get boomalopes right in the middle of the raid, things tend to sort themselves out pretty quick with chain explosions and setting raiders on fire.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
With the surgery chat, I decided to throw together a simple new mod real quick. Sane Surgery Success Chance. It changes the success chance of "modern" surgeries (simple prosthetics, dentures, remove body parts/harvest organs, install organs) so that with regular medicine, your doctor's surgery success chance is the actual success chance (i.e. same as it was in A15). For peg legs, your doctor's surgery success chance is the actual success chance with herbal medicine. Bionics & brain implants are unchanged.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 26, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Baronjutter posted:

I managed to club to death a pirate with an assault rifle, all we had were clubs, the odd knife, and pillas. I feel very strong now.

This is the best post to describe that feeling of joy when your tribals beat a pirate raid

Also zhentar, keep up the good work

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Danaru posted:

So for anyone using the magnetic shield mod, when it says "considerable heating", it doesn't mean uncomfortably hot and annoying your colonists, it means three digit temperatures and everything/one catching on fire:supaburn: Put that poo poo outside, vents aren't enough.

Uh yeah about that, my mag shield just loving burst into flame because of rain induced short circuit. :stonk:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Put it in a small building with vents connecting to the outside? Or just build a roof over it outdoors I guess.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
between that bit of poo poo and the fact that the orbital beacon things need open sky which of course ruins the things you want to sell I would really like a retractable roof to be a thing added to the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Thefluffy posted:

between that bit of poo poo and the fact that the orbital beacon things need open sky which of course ruins the things you want to sell I would really like a retractable roof to be a thing added to the game.

Orbital beacons don't need open sky

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah literally anything sensitive i just put a 4 pillars in and build a roof over it. hell if i just have a stockpile of random crap that i just want to throw whatever into, i'll do the same thing. 4 pillars. one roof. simple. done. if you think poo poo getting rained on is annoying, think of how bad it gets when something you care about gets hit by goddamn lightning. or a stray mortar round from a siege.

roofs are great and go up very quickly, there's very little reason not to put a roof over all trafficked areas. i mean be aware that you will need some artificial light or else you'll get the In Darkness moodlet but a couple of standing lamps is not a big deal.

e: like here's an example of my current compound just to show off what i'm talking about

yes it's basic but note that it's still fall of 5501, things are harshly utilitarian right now. point is, note what all is shaded because i've roofed it. both geothermal vents? roofed. the random as gently caress outdoor stockpiles? roofed. most of the animal area? roofed. i am not having a bolt of lightning or a sudden flashstorm kick up and cause a ton of damage, that's bullshit. in addition to being good at preventing some crap in the first place, remember that grass cannot grow if an area gets no light, so all of these roofed off areas also implicitly become firebreaks as well. i still need to get around to replacing those initial wooden walls with stone sometime soon to be sure, but i've had two out of control brush fires just stop cold at the random places i've roofed off because there was nothing more to burn. these firebreaks required no real work on my part to install since roofs go up so fast.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 26, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've never roofed geothermal vents, don't they get stupid hot inside?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They can, but if its not actually walled in it won't get very hot and it'll dissipate very quickly.

I noticed that at some point the penalties for being in a small place (Like when mining) and "cabin fever" have been removed, which I am very happy about.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

I've never roofed geothermal vents, don't they get stupid hot inside?

It has no negative effect on them in my experience. I roof them in and build double granit walls around them.

I just had the worst game. I started on a mountain map and built into the hill. I dug out the rooms, place furniture. I noticed that cables cant be placed in natural rock walls. So I gradually had to tear down existing walls and replace them with carved marble so I could put in cables.

While mining out rooms I discovered old ruins. Had a bad fight with the aliens and then took 6 Cryo pods. I opened these and out bursts 6 panicked humans. There was a fire fight and I took 5 of them prisoner, plus a raider. My ram shack colony of 6 now has 6 prisoners a well. And these 6 prisoners and their lovely moods and antics brought down the whole colony in record time. One person I managed to convert to my side was of course a pyromaniac who set the meager food stores on fire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

Orbital beacons don't need open sky

And when they did you could just put the beacon unroofed and then cover everything around it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Dejawesp posted:

It has no negative effect on them in my experience. I roof them in and build double granit walls around them.

I just had the worst game. I started on a mountain map and built into the hill. I dug out the rooms, place furniture. I noticed that cables cant be placed in natural rock walls. So I gradually had to tear down existing walls and replace them with carved marble so I could put in cables.

While mining out rooms I discovered old ruins. Had a bad fight with the aliens and then took 6 Cryo pods. I opened these and out bursts 6 panicked humans. There was a fire fight and I took 5 of them prisoner, plus a raider. My ram shack colony of 6 now has 6 prisoners a well. And these 6 prisoners and their lovely moods and antics brought down the whole colony in record time. One person I managed to convert to my side was of course a pyromaniac who set the meager food stores on fire.

Sometimes its best just to leave the prisoners die on the floor and do "Selective" recruiting.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Sometimes its best just to leave the prisoners die on the floor and do "Selective" recruiting.

What about all the organs I could harvest?

Ever noticed that when you want to murder someone by organ harvest they just won't loving die. But try to give someone a new tooth and you end up taking the head off.

Hey that gives me an idea. If I set a prisoner up for double peg legs, in a regular bed, performed by the gardener and with herb medicine. Will the colony take a mood hit for his murder?

Found a good quote on vanilla surgery

quote:

Zubat Man 25 Jan @ 3:35am
Level 20 doctor, Legendary quaility medical bed, vitals monitor, sealed well lit air conditioned sterilized room, futuristic Glitter world medicine.

"Ok, Time to install this bionic foot! off with the old foot in with the new!"

*Chops off ear*

"Oops... Oh well, may as well throw this 5000 dollar bionic foot away"

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 26, 2017

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
What's the name of the mod that balances walls and doors of the various stone types to be equal with each other?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Coolguye posted:

yeah literally anything sensitive i just put a 4 pillars in and build a roof over it. hell if i just have a stockpile of random crap that i just want to throw whatever into, i'll do the same thing. 4 pillars. one roof. simple. done. if you think poo poo getting rained on is annoying, think of how bad it gets when something you care about gets hit by goddamn lightning. or a stray mortar round from a siege.

roofs are great and go up very quickly, there's very little reason not to put a roof over all trafficked areas. i mean be aware that you will need some artificial light or else you'll get the In Darkness moodlet but a couple of standing lamps is not a big deal.

e: like here's an example of my current compound just to show off what i'm talking about

yes it's basic but note that it's still fall of 5501, things are harshly utilitarian right now. point is, note what all is shaded because i've roofed it. both geothermal vents? roofed. the random as gently caress outdoor stockpiles? roofed. most of the animal area? roofed. i am not having a bolt of lightning or a sudden flashstorm kick up and cause a ton of damage, that's bullshit. in addition to being good at preventing some crap in the first place, remember that grass cannot grow if an area gets no light, so all of these roofed off areas also implicitly become firebreaks as well. i still need to get around to replacing those initial wooden walls with stone sometime soon to be sure, but i've had two out of control brush fires just stop cold at the random places i've roofed off because there was nothing more to burn. these firebreaks required no real work on my part to install since roofs go up so fast.

Two quick questions about this base design:

1. How do you deal with manhunter packs or just mad animals if your colonists need to go outside to get food?

2. What's going on with that crazy workshop room? Are those tables all usable?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

prom candy posted:

2. What's going on with that crazy workshop room? Are those tables all usable?

From the looks of it they're back to back and all the actual crafting spots have chairs on them, so they should all be both usable and pawns using them will sit down and be comfortable during use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Oh wow I vastly underestimated a manhunter pack of boomrats. My veteran hunters and marksman who had held off large packs of mechanoids and raiders all died. At least I am at the point where the only thing I need to escape are components. Is there a recommended way to manufacture components? It seems to be taking forever.