Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Gonna get your bun squeezed in that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aramek posted:

Gonna get your bun squeezed in that.
I'm guessing that's the plan

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm guessing that's the plan

Hey man don't shop, er, kinkshame.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

strangemusic posted:

Along a similar line:

I will be buying a new laptop, because my Macbook got stolen at loving Chipotle.

(To hell with the new MBP though, likely going to pick up a System76)

This is your chance to get a real computer.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Make computers great again

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

neongrey posted:

Probably not, the lack of water solubility is probably gonna be an issue there.

My preferred cleaning method there is simmering it in milk and making hot chocolate, but on anything bigger than a vape stem this is probably both impractical and unwise.

Ultrasonic cleaners do work well on pipes, but will elevate the temp of the liquid, so use isopropyl and keep a eye on the temperature.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

PCOS Bill posted:

This is your chance to get a real computer.

Ehhh, the MBP I had was plenty good. And it ran Pro Tools without being a huge dick about audio settings, which is a thing I need that Windows does terribly. I'm just not paying the obscene $3500 for a new one and having to screw about with the new port scheme and everything.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I just scooped up a bike part from the Springfield Armory called the XD. My first handgun, was thinking about something smaller and single stack but carrying isn't necessarily in the cards so I went with a larger double stack. No real accessories yet as I haven't applied for my LTC, it came with a lock, and I've got lots of leftover cleaning supplies.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Hot dog pajamas:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L7VTL46/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485383335&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Runner up had the best title of a product ever:

Rolo has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jan 25, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

If this were made from like a good merino/poly blend I would be unable to resist it.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.
decided to man up and buy some boots worth a drat

Red Wing Iron Ranger 8111s. i sprung for the vibram mini-lug sole tho

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I did a similar thing about a year ago and about some Allen Edmonds Normandy boots and they are loving awesome. I'm sure you'll love your boots too. Quality footwear is a pretty great way to spend your money.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Muffin Rhino posted:

Nice! I picked up some last year with a ridiculous coupon code I don't think was supposed to work on shoebuy. They're awesome boots, but just be aware that there's a pretty long break in period on these before they're comfortable

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

betterinsodapop posted:

Bought a loving fridge because mine poo poo the bed. Goddamnit.

A good mattress pad can minimize long-term damage from refrigerator accidents, hth.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That reminds me I need to clean up my boots. Nothing like a quality pair of shoes that will last a life time if you keep them cared for

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Muffin Rhino posted:

I'm drooling over here.
Those are one lovely investment that I would love to afford.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nice! I picked up some last year with a ridiculous coupon code I don't think was supposed to work on shoebuy. They're awesome boots, but just be aware that there's a pretty long break in period on these before they're comfortable

I wore mine for a few months before the toe box was good, now I wear them pretty much daily.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

As someone who wears through the soles and backs of his oxfords from a single year of daily wear, the concept of a boot lasting years of use fills me with a tremendous amount of skepticism.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Aramek posted:

As someone who wears through the soles and backs of his oxfords from a single year of daily wear, the concept of a boot lasting years of use fills me with a tremendous amount of skepticism.

The uppers can indeed last decades, quality leather is an incredibly durable material if you take care of it.

The soles on those last awhile as well, because of the steel shank/leather construction, but they do wear out eventually. However, decent boots are designed to be replaceable when the soles do wear out. Any cobbler can resole a goodyear welt, but the glue and materials on your oxfords are pretty much a one and done.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I've already discussed at legnth my pair of Doc Martens oxford's that are only beginning to fail after 20 some years of semi regular wear. Even the lovely combat boots are used to wear all the time would last two or three years.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aramek posted:

What shoes are you buying?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
You'll have to slap new heels and soles on them, but that's not a ton of money. Just take care of the leather. I've had pairs of good boots (Allen Edmonds, Frye) last years.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My daily wear shoes were a pair of Chinese-made Chuck Taylors (it's ambiguous as to whether or not they were legit Chucks or knockoffs copying all of the trademarks really well) that I wore almost every day from June 2016 until the winter. I took them to New York twice and put anywhere from 5 to 10 miles on them every day for a good 2 weeks straight.

And of course, before the second trip the sidewall of the sole on one shoe had already started to peel away. A month later the sole itself began separating. They're still wearable and I don't notice while walking, but if I keep wearing them it's only a matter of time before they fall apart altogether. I've found that it's better to have 3 or 4 pairs of shoes that I can match with different outfits, so they're all in rotation instead of walking several miles a day every day. I've relegated China to "I'm too lazy to lace up high-tops and it's not appropriate to wear my bright-rear end Hokka running shoes", which is a shame because they're pretty attractive and go well with a ton of different outfits. I do have boots but only one pair is particularly fashionable and I only really wear them to shake things up or turn myself 6'4.

I also stopped buying the same crappy $40 tennis shoes every year or two and replacing them when they die out.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I've already discussed at legnth my pair of Doc Martens oxford's that are only beginning to fail after 20 some years of semi regular wear. Even the lovely combat boots are used to wear all the time would last two or three years.

I suspect you wouldn't get near the wear out of current production Docs, and it makes me sad :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dogbrisket posted:

I suspect you wouldn't get near the wear out of current production Docs, and it makes me sad :(

Oh yeah, I bought a pair of Docs at some point back in like 06-ish, they started looking like dog poo poo within a year and were super uncomfortable.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
New Docs and new Converse are dogshit. Totally disposable.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Doesn't Doc M. have a premium line that's made in England and guaranteed for life, or something like that?

I've been thinking of Red Wings for ages, but so far I haven't quite been able to justify the cost when you can get two or three pairs of perfectly adequate boots for the same price. I like the idea of boots lasting years but I'm not sure I'm willing to put in the work that requires.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

See and I want to believe "just buy a pair of Allen Edmonds, they'll last more than a year" but I see the 300+ and go "that's a lot for something that's just gonna die in a year like all the others" so it's a disposable cycle.

:v:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

betterinsodapop posted:

I bought Docs last year and a hole wore into the top of the toe, where it creases as you walk. Absolute garbage.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I bought a pair of these and I like them a lot
:shrug:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...uJ2L&ref=plSrch

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

betterinsodapop posted:

If you want Converse and want brand new instead of an old pair that's already worn, go for their 70s line. They're made with more care and canvas of double thickness, so tough that the high tops stand up by themselves. Likewise, if you want PF Flyers buy the Made in USA line. Most of the production is done in Boston and they include things like leather reinforcements and pigskin lining to make them much higher quality than the normal ones.

Just keep in mind that in both cases you're paying a premium over the normal price, since they're not really meant to be disposable shoes that you replace once a year.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
A good pair of shoes is a great investment and will last you for decades. I don't know much about the canvas shoes (I've had my converse for years, but they do fall apart noticeably eventually, but if you replace the soles it's fine - however, I'd rather just buy a new pair for ~$70 rather than resole for like half that), but leather shoes like the Red Wings here or the ones I have https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/49464?page=mens-katahdin-iron-works-engineer-boots are incredible, even if you don't take care of the leather (you should). The leather molds to your foot once you break them in, they look fantastic, look even better with age and wear and tear, and the high-quality construction will last you for at least a decade. Ditto for high quality dress shoes - though for those, you generally want to keep them out of lovely weather, aka rain and snow.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want Converse and want brand new instead of an old pair that's already worn, go for their 70s line. They're made with more care and canvas of double thickness, so tough that the high tops stand up by themselves. Likewise, if you want PF Flyers buy the Made in USA line. Most of the production is done in Boston and they include things like leather reinforcements and pigskin lining to make them much higher quality than the normal ones.

Just keep in mind that in both cases you're paying a premium over the normal price, since they're not really meant to be disposable shoes that you replace once a year.

I bought a pair of the made in USA PF Flyers and they fell apart in less than a year of daily wear. I don't even walk a ton, maybe around 10k steps a day on average. Was really sad that despite the premium on them they still fail quite fast.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: shoe chat, I bought a pair of Red Wing Beckmans back in 2011. Uppers have held up very well, had to send them back in 2014 to be resoled because I was an idiot and wore them daily through the winter three years in a row. The leather part of the soles repeatedly got wet & dried, eventually cracking as a result.

Basically, if you get a pair don't wear them when it's wet outside or buy a pair of overshoes.

Content:

Dewalt DCF899P1 lithium ion powered impact wrench. Averages 700 ft-lbs of torque and can peak over 1000 :getin:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cuz gently caress it, why not. Not bad, would eat again if I was drunk or :350:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to try it. Local food critic likes it a lot.

quote:

On my first bite I tasted oil and wished the spicy coating had been a little crisper; on the second bite I didnt care, and by the time I had polished it off I loved it. The tomatoes could have been a little riper, but when mixed with the hot shell, the crisp lettuce and the creamy dressing, it didnt matter. I ordered a second one, just to be sure. Yep. I still loved it.

As I walked the mile back to the office, the buzz of the spices stayed with me almost the entire way. Im glad the developers didnt tone down the heat or sweeten up the ingredients to meet the lowest common denominator palate.

Hey, whats good is good. No need to apologize.

If this chalupa had been served with a Manhattan at Comstock Saloon or an Anchor Steam beer at the nearby ballparkeven with a $10 or $12 price tag it would be a sell out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Casu Marzu posted:

Cuz gently caress it, why not. Not bad, would eat again if I was drunk or :350:

Oh dunks.
I decided to have Taco Bell for lunch tomorrow because I have the day off and nothing to do.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just installed a 2nd gen Kwikset Kevo smartlock on my front door and it works really well. I was a bit scared because the customer reviews were really polarized but I've had no problems. And you can still use it as a regular lock if anyone else is a technophobe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjzcXeq8lw

Having to install a 20 minute software update on my lock is pretty weird though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Muffin Rhino posted:

I just snagged a black pair two weeks ago. I'm loving them so far. I might get another pair in the oxblood or the brown that you got. I got mine as seconds from Sierra Trading Post for a pretty decent deal.