Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that was almost fishmech-like, how you addressed the assumed implication of a tiny part of my post, rather than the actual point therein

i don't care if your quiz is "fair", i'm saying your entire methodology of interviewing is wrong

i don't think there's anything wrong with chatting through a problem with a whiteboard around because that's something that my actual team does all the time.

making it the only thing that matters, or turning it into language specification trivia hour sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:agreed: there are good things about white boarding, and yeah it literally is realistic because sometimes you have to talk to other people to solve problems

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

there are a wide variety of situations for which whiteboards and doing stuff on whiteboards is useful. coding is not one of them.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like if you're that hard on for some whiteboarding action take the biggest project on their resume and ask them to block diagram it and explain it to you, as this is a thing that whiteboards are suitable for

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

The Management posted:

okay, let me address your main point:
writing on a whiteboard is a communication and presentation exercise. the point is to convey how you approach problems and reason about them and if you can explain that to the interviewer. it is a discussion. the resulting code is a collaboration derived from the interviewee gathering requirements and feedback from on their approach.

if I just wanted them to bang out something, it would be much faster on keyboard and it would also tell me very little about them.

alright, well i understand where you're coming from. i'm about to do what i just yelled at you for, and focus on a single word of your post. i'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, i could address some of the points you brought up because i partly agree and partly disagree... but really what i'm trying to get at is captured in one word that you used: "exercise"

i don't make interviewees do exercises of any kind. i talk to them like human beings. i read their resume, which is relevant to the job description or it wouldn't have gotten this far, and i ask them questions about the projects they've worked on in the past. i might present a related issue that we've encountered and see how they would have tackled it. i'm interested in their personality, work style, approach to problem solving, etc. just as you are. i find that this tests communication and presentation skills thoroughly. i can tell if they're bullshitting. can't you?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bloody posted:

like if you're that hard on for some whiteboarding action take the biggest project on their resume and ask them to block diagram it and explain it to you, as this is a thing that whiteboards are suitable for

this is correct

other uses of a whiteboard in an interview process:

* expressing a sequence diagram
* class diagrams
* E-R diagrams

the pattern is not code. if you want someone to code in an interview then you should pair with them in some small project that is based in the reality of what they'll work on.

last dude I interviewed, we took his initial programming assignment and enhanced it in a pair session

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

this was my interview for current job

first interview was exactly what you said, second interview they gave me a 2 page design doc and told me to sketch out the major components and discuss where the problems would be etc

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
if your candidate literally breaks down trying to reverse a string in the language of their choice then idk maybe that's a good sign that they are not a very good programmer. if they can do it then it certainly doesn't mean that they are a good programmer, but it's a reassuring smoke-test

it's also good to know that a candidate who's majorly struggling with something harder than string-reversal can at least talk through what they're having difficulty with like a reasonable and easy-to-work with human being would, and that they're able to run with any direction and ideas that you give to them. this is usually done in front of a whiteboard because you probably don't have two hours to sit them down in front of a laptop and introduce them to a problem in w/e esoteric poo poo-heap of an industry you work in -- whiteboards and simple industry-agnostic problems are a common denominator that programmers should be able to somewhat competently work through.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
so I did a director interview before Christmas, a team interview last week, and now they want to have a follow up phone call with one of the team members tomorrow? I'm glad I'm still in contention but what the hell, the first two should have been enough.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

devmd01 posted:

so I did a director interview before Christmas, a team interview last week, and now they want to have a follow up phone call with one of the team members tomorrow? I'm glad I'm still in contention but what the hell, the first two should have been enough.

are you a time traveler or are they interviewing you backwards?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Management posted:

are you a time traveler or are they interviewing you backwards?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

please reverse our hiring process using only bitwise operations

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

devmd01 posted:

The director interview first is a bit of a red flag

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jre posted:

title inflation means the director could just be the team lead in which case it's normal

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

title inflation means the director could just be the team lead in which case it's normal

a director is an executive, not an employee, and is subject to different laws in all kinds of cases (particularly stock regulation). any idiot can't just call himself a director at most companies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but every idiot can be made a director so those regs apply to them. see VP at banks

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

implement atoi(), for example, without any library functions.

code:
function atoi($string){ return "vous"; };

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

jre posted:

director of it infrastructure, not exec level.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

devmd01 posted:

director of it infrastructure, not exec level.

Director is a specific role with legally enforced responsibilities in the UK which appears not to be the case in the US then. I've seen places where director has to micromanage every hire and its a :redflag:

Appointing a director requires submitting documentation to companies house for example, so its not an empty title here.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jre posted:

Director is a specific role with legally enforced responsibilities in the UK which appears not to be the case in the US then. I've seen places where director has to micromanage every hire and its a :redflag:

Appointing a director requires submitting documentation to companies house for example, so its not an empty title here.

in the US companies get to declare who their executives are (there's no official titles below some C*O). but in most large companies, at least public ones, director is an executive role and has the legal responsibilities of an officer of the company.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my company has a shitload of vps and directors lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
our lowest ranking salesperson out-titles my boss, who runs an eight person team

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

GenJoe posted:

if your candidate literally breaks down trying to reverse a string in the language of their choice then idk maybe that's a good sign that they are not a very good programmer. if they can do it then it certainly doesn't mean that they are a good programmer, but it's a reassuring smoke-test

it's also good to know that a candidate who's majorly struggling with something harder than string-reversal can at least talk through what they're having difficulty with like a reasonable and easy-to-work with human being would, and that they're able to run with any direction and ideas that you give to them. this is usually done in front of a whiteboard because you probably don't have two hours to sit them down in front of a laptop and introduce them to a problem in w/e esoteric poo poo-heap of an industry you work in -- whiteboards and simple industry-agnostic problems are a common denominator that programmers should be able to somewhat competently work through.

Eh - after reading your comment, I take back a little of what I said about white boarding. It can be useful to demonstrate that the candidate has an understanding of things like recursion and stack-based execution. The obvious counterpoint to that is whether recursive solutions are ever relevant to the job at hand and in most scenarios, they aren't what you want.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

code:
function atoi($string){ return "vous"; };

code me like one of your french girls

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

krooj posted:

Eh - after reading your comment, I take back a little of what I said about white boarding. It can be useful to demonstrate that the candidate has an understanding of things like recursion and stack-based execution. The obvious counterpoint to that is whether recursive solutions are ever relevant to the job at hand and in most scenarios, they aren't what you want.

maybe recursion isn't what /you/ want, but I'd be perfectly happy working with functional languages on the daily.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have two offers plus a major award and raise at current job (which i like )

dunno what to do

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

dunno what to do

pick one?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

put the offers up your rear end op

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

take the major award and also the best offer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

dunno what to do

first decide if you want to stay or move. why did you look for a job in the first place? more money doesn't fix problems, it just lets you ignore them for a while (unless the problem was not enough money). if you stay, will you be fed up and looking for another job a year from now?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Accept both offers. Actually work at which of the three jobs you want the most. Collect 3 paychecks as long as possible.

This works a lot better with remote jobs. One day I hope to goad someone into actually doing it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
argh, I loving hate LinkedIn. what a piece of poo poo site and app

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

They wouldn't let me delete old recommendations that weren't relevant to my current job/had my old name in them. I ended up just deleting my account since all I ever got from it were cold calls from help desk outsourcers asking for my deadname. Trash.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

On-site in bound in like two weeks. Guess it's time to cram algo/ds + domain-specific knowledge + review my experience and be able to explain all of it/ hype it up

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Management posted:

also how precarious it is to creep on ppl

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Accept both offers. Actually work at which of the three jobs you want the most. Collect 3 paychecks as long as possible.

This works a lot better with remote jobs. One day I hope to goad someone into actually doing it.

i worked at a dying dinosaur company that autoconverted you to a remote employee if you didn't badge in a certain number of times a month to reduce real estate costs at some of our bigger locations

seems like that + having a manager in a different area would be fantastic cover to hold 2-3 jobs down simultaneously remotely

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

we're like 90% sure one of our remote BAs is doing this.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that's a great way to be fired from both jobs when your old company tells your new company what you've been doing.

edit: aka the chris ziegler

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if youre important enough of a cog in any massive corporate machine for anyone to notice you beyond your direct management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
somebody at my workplace worked for two places at the same time in a massive conflict of interest way and was fired from both places iirc

i mean you can work two places here you just have to do paperwork and each employer needs to know about it and time commitments and etc

• Locked thread