Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I started going to the gym super early to avoid the January crowds, which is great, but the stoplights (about six of them) on the way to the freeway are all timed such that when the one you're waiting at turns green, the next one turns yellow, and you stop at each one, even if there's no traffic on the side streets. It takes five minutes to go eight blocks, at 5 in the morning, with no traffic. It's infuriating because the lights change regardless of whether anyone's in the turn lanes or waiting at a stoplight at the side street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I think a while ago there were people itt complaining about how their partners were terrible at planning stuff like birthday parties? Thats what I want to complain about today. My birthday is coming up, and originally my husband and I were going to go out for a nice supper on Friday and have low-key drinks with his sister on Sat. Which was totally right up my alley. Yesterday he let it slip that he actually invited a poo poo ton of people over on Sat for like a 'suprise' drink-fest style party. Which I was not expecting, and I so so so don't feel like doing that at all. Also, since I don't really have that many friends who can attend (most live far away and/or have young babies), it's pretty much only his friends and their weirdo girlfriends who are actually coming. Ugh. So basically, he threw himself a party for my birthday. We are leaving for Europe in a week too, which means that on top of all the packing, organizing and craziness involved with that, I'm also going to have to spend my weekend cleanin the whole house (pre- and post-party). Thanks, husband! Happy birthday to me!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Make sure you tell him how you feel.

I'm serious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

#humblebrag much? "My husband is throwing a big party and then I'm going to Europe ugh"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

#humblebrag much? "My husband is throwing a big party and then I'm going to Europe ugh"

Yeah, to be honest I broke out in a cold sweat at just the thought of experiencing such a thing. It's almost as bad as the time I inherited a million dollars and had to decide how to invest it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
There's one person at the plasma donation center I go to who refuses to listen to me about anything. I've had these veins my entire life, and I know from experience that they are small veins and the easiest one to stick is my left arm. All the other employees know this but this one lady won't listen, tries to stick my right arm because I'm right-handed, wags the fuckin needle around under my skin for a few minutes THEN concedes that maybe she should try my other arm. Then when they're dumping saline in to make up for the volume of plasma lost, my arm hurt, which I know from experience will be solved if they turn the flow rate on the machine down a little, but this fuckin woman just tells me "it's only saline" in a dubious voice as if there's no way for having room temperature saline pumped at high speed into your veins to ever be uncomfortable at all. I have to wait until she's with a different donor so that ANY of the other employees can come over, immediately understand when I say my arm hurts, and adjust one setting on the pump to make me comfortable again. From now on I'm just gonna specifically request anyone else instead of her if she tries to touch me because she's done that bullshit with the needle three times now and I'm fuckin sick of having both my fuckin elbows torn up because she assumes anyone who isn't her must be an idiot who knows nothing about their own body. So fuckin many medical people are like that and while I realize that you get ground down over time by all the people who genuinely are ignorant, once you are so burnt out that you assume everyone is a lying moron who can't even accurately report their own comfort levels it is time for you to change careers tbqfh

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Have you considered not going? All that angry can't make for good plasma. It probably tastes like burnt rubber and Red Hots.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

every other employee in the place is a reasonable person who doesn't spend five minutes digging around in my arm with a sharp bit of metal

I'd like to think I'm allowed to be fuckin annoyed about somebody fuckin digging around in my arms with a sharp bit of metal, for gently caress's sake

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I'm just sayin' man when some little cancer child or femoral artery person gets Fury Plasma and starts administering suplexes to their distraught loved ones that'll be on you.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Sorry for coming across as braggy. I don't mean to. The only reason we can afford to go to Europe is because my Dad died and left me some money, a little bit of which we are using to take a belated honeymoon to his fave places and try to have some fun after a lovely, lovely year.

Anyways, I also did tell my husband, and he felt bad about it, and now I feel bad about making him feel bad, so my plan is just to go with it and have fun. So peeve solved I guess?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

WPYF 31 ACTION NEWS: THE PEEVE SOLVERS

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I call them Amish driver.

Two lanes are merging. Well, one is merging to the other. Do you, as a driver in the lane that is ending:

A. Speed the gently caress up so you can pass as many cars as you can
B. Zipper merge.

THEY NEVER CHOOSE B. NEVER. gently caress YOU AMISH DRIVERS WHO REFUSE TO ZIPPER!

So you speed up, and the dude behind you speeds up, and today we almost had a five car pile-up because no one in that loving lane wanted to zipper!

Peeve: work surveys. I am a driver. But the higher ups decided the best thing to get customer feedback is to physically hand our customers a flier with the survey address on it, and ask people to rate us. Nowhere on the flier does it have our names. And we can only hand out to certain customers (not our regulars who might actually give us great reviews, go fig) and yes, you do get a discount....on printing. Most of our deliveries are not loving print orders. But hey, better than sending them an emailed survey, right? Who the gently caress wants to type in https://www.survey.driver.asap/1200012010/zex./qwertyonemax/suckitbush.com

I hate the thought behind loving surveys. "Needs improvement" or 9/10 is an automatic fail? gently caress YOU.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

I'm just sayin' man when some little cancer child or femoral artery person gets Fury Plasma and starts administering suplexes to their distraught loved ones that'll be on you.
Is that bad? Listen, bud, they'll have rageioactive blood

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I call them Amish driver.

Two lanes are merging. Well, one is merging to the other. Do you, as a driver in the lane that is ending:

A. Speed the gently caress up so you can pass as many cars as you can
B. Zipper merge.

THEY NEVER CHOOSE B. NEVER. gently caress YOU AMISH DRIVERS WHO REFUSE TO ZIPPER!

So you speed up, and the dude behind you speeds up, and today we almost had a five car pile-up because no one in that loving lane wanted to zipper!

You do realize that zipper merging means waiting to the last minute to merge, and everyone goes in at the spot of the lane mergin, alternating one lane after the other, like a zipper. Doing A leads to B.

Going in to the continuing lane whenever you see an open spot is NOT zipper merging, and is actually much worse for traffic flow. So, speeding the gently caress up and passing cars, waiting til the last minute... that's actually the best option for everyone, and is what zipper merging actually refers to.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
People bringing up emotions as if they inherently invalidate any argument ever.

"Oh, are you only saying we should do this thing because the status quo makes you feel bad? Well checkmate emotionailures."

Like are you sitting alone in your hovel surrounded by only the bare necessities, carefully calculating the optimal way to allocate your resources so as to best serve your completely logically derived goals and values? No you're not, because you're not a loving robot. You pursue the things that make you happy and fulfilled because they give you the good feels and avoid the things that make you sad, or put up with them insofar as you have to, like everyone goddamn else. What you really mean is "the feelings of people and groups I don't belong to or empathise with don't matter, because it doesn't effect me."

Also applies to people who say things like "if you choose to be offended." No, I don't choose to be offended. I don't choose to feel anything, that's basically one of the defining points of what emotions are. You don't get to pick and choose the ones you like and neither does anyone else, so take some loving responsibility for the impact of your words and actions on the people around you.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I loathe and hate those recipes that are like 'throw some frozen meatballs into a pan and heat them up then for sauce add some salt and pepper to some ketchup!' Like no, gently caress you! I want to make the meatballs and sauce, not warm up some pre-made poo poo! That's not a loving recipe that's just throwing junk from your fridge or pantry together.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
A rather minor one: eggs with weak shells. There always seems to be one in the pack where you go to crack it with the same strength as the rest and it just completely explodes. It always ruins my morning because raw eggs are particularly annoying to clean up.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This is how people selling vehicles on Craigslist near me all take their photos now

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This is how people selling vehicles on Craigslist near me all take their photos now

Why exactly? So you don't miss the blurry truck in the photo? Have they forgoten about the perfectly feasable red mspaint circle?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

He's not trying to sell it, that's a POV shot of a drunk dude who just barfed in the parking lot and thinks the truck is laughing at him

"gently caress you, fuckin' truck. Don't...don't look at me like that, fuckin' truck."

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Helios Grime posted:

Why exactly? So you don't miss the blurry truck in the photo? Have they forgoten about the perfectly feasable red mspaint circle?

Covering up the license plate I assume.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

yo rear end is grass posted:

Covering up the license plate I assume.

Obviously. But why? What will anyone do with that info? If you aren't in law enforcement what could you do with a plate number?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Obviously. But why? What will anyone do with that info? If you aren't in law enforcement what could you do with a plate number?

Laugh at them when it says something like 100 GAY or 69 BUTT

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

And also: why not just MS Paint over the license plate?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

A rather minor one: eggs with weak shells. There always seems to be one in the pack where you go to crack it with the same strength as the rest and it just completely explodes. It always ruins my morning because raw eggs are particularly annoying to clean up.
Eggs with tough shells are worse. You go to crack it and it just doesn't work. Then you have to try to work out how much force you need to use to break the shell but not the yolk and about half the time I get it wrong.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

And also: why not just MS Paint over the license plate?

Because the average craigslist user is probably just above the IQ level of being retarded

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

FUCK YOU AMISH DRIVERS

:aaa:

Anyway, one of my many, many pet peeves is when Spotify decides that I must want to hear one particular song all the time forever so it keeps coming up. It's never even a particularly good song, it's usually just a song I picked to round out a playlist.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My point wasn't really that people should do it, just that inconsiderate and loud neighbors are an unfortunately unavoidable part of renting an apartment. It was also more directed at the noise-creating people - if you want to do something that bothers most people, the responsibility should be on you to go to greater lengths to avoid bothering people. And like I said in the part of the post you didn't include, even houses aren't without their problems, but generally they are significantly reduced and you'll never be woken up by people stomping on your ceiling or whatever. Noise problems are one of those things that are terrible to live with/through but unfortunately there's just not much you can do beyond earplugs/white noise unless you have one of the few landlords that exist that care enough about enforcing the noise rules in the lease on a tenant in otherwise good standing.

I used to have an upstairs neighbor who would beat his girlfriend and scream all night. It would start at 11PM and wouldn't end until about 9AM. Every night. Screaming, yelling, swearing. I could hear every word. We called the cops on them dozens of times but she wouldn't press charges.

Then, they were gone. They were replaced by a group of traveling circus elephants that would practice tumbling all through the night. "Thump, thump, thump, thump, (pause), KABOOM!" Every single night. It was loving pleasure to hear compared to the endless domestic dispute.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

You do realize that zipper merging means waiting to the last minute to merge, and everyone goes in at the spot of the lane mergin, alternating one lane after the other, like a zipper. Doing A leads to B.

Going in to the continuing lane whenever you see an open spot is NOT zipper merging, and is actually much worse for traffic flow. So, speeding the gently caress up and passing cars, waiting til the last minute... that's actually the best option for everyone, and is what zipper merging actually refers to.

The problem is when they still don't zipper. Instead, a dozen cars all rush and try to cram in front of one car, who has enough room to let one car in, leading to pileups. gently caress, I tried to zipper merge and let just the one car in, and two more almost took off my front end. A third I laid the horn on for, and he still fought to get ahead of me for a good minute. No, dude, you don't all merge in front of one car, you space the poo poo out! Especially if the car behind me has left space and is waving you to merge there!

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Ugh, upstairs neighbors. The lady who lives above me now is better than the previous couple who blasted the same R&B playlist at top volume every day/night. I had to sleep during the day so sometimes I'd bang on the ceiling but they'd just bang back. Had to sleep in my boyfriend's car a few times.

But this new girl is heavy and it sounds like she never, ever stops pacing her apartment when she's home, and the floors are really creaky. I can't come up with any explanation for it but it's like she never sits down or stands still. Then her boyfriend comes over and they get in screaming matches and he punches the walls and slams up and down the stairs :(

timefly has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jan 27, 2017

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
When zipper merges work, they work great. Everybody gets it, we're all on board, and there are no problems.

Unfortunately, when they don't work, everything goes to poo poo immediately, because once one guy fucks it up, everyone else goes all tragedy of the fuckin' commons and it's a race to cut off as many people as you possibly can and elbow your way into the lane.

It's even worse in Texas because zipper merges never work here. Every trip to the store is a combination demolition derby/funny car race.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
My mom constantly buys food we never eat. The only time she has a craving for said food is when we don't have it but when we have it, she never eats it and we end up throwing it away. Or she never checks to see if we have something and buys more of said stuff, causing the cupboards to overflow. I really need to start donating some of this stuff. Or if it has an expiration date find someone who wants it before it goes bad.

Oh but THIS time she will eat it, she swears. Not like the 80 other times when she said she would eat it and never does.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

bean_shadow posted:

My mom constantly buys food we never eat. The only time she has a craving for said food is when we don't have it but when we have it, she never eats it and we end up throwing it away. Or she never checks to see if we have something and buys more of said stuff, causing the cupboards to overflow. I really need to start donating some of this stuff. Or if it has an expiration date find someone who wants it before it goes bad.

Oh but THIS time she will eat it, she swears. Not like the 80 other times when she said she would eat it and never does.

Why don't you eat some of it? Or better yet, cook a nice dinner from it and feed both of you.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bean_shadow posted:

Mom sucks at cooking but I'm too much of a lazy poo poo to learn to cook myself :qq:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm guessing it's food that nobody else in the house likes. Sort of like when my dad would buy a bunch of Hostess stuff that I wasn't a fan of and say he bought it for me because he was too fat. The difference is he would eat the whole bag within a week.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
You guys are making me feel pretty lucky today. My upstairs neighbors are really quiet, and the most I hear is them traipsing down the stairs right outside, but that's probably because the stairs are iron so everything clangs.

And for as bad as bay area drivers are (do not get me started on slowpokes in the left lane), they can at least manage a decent zipper merge.

The only peeve I have with my neighbors is that their guests sometimes park in my assigned spot, but that's rare. We only have one space per person, so guests have to park on the street, but our little building has some hidden spots where people can park. They're technically fire lanes, but this is on private property so they don't get ticketed, but they would get towed or whatever if there was a real emergency. One of the "extra" spaces is right next to my window. It's not a fire lane, just kind of extra space for people in the parking lot to back out of their spaces. Since I'm on the ground floor and there's not much to look at, I keep the blinds shut most of the time, but it's still really freaky to wake up at 8 am on a weekend or whatever and hear doors slamming inches from my bedroom window.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My roommates throw entire boxes into the recycle bin and fill it up within two days of it being emptied and refuse to break down their drat boxes and I hate it.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

bradzilla posted:

Mom sucks at cooking but I'm too much of a lazy poo poo to learn to cook myself :qq:

Nice try, but yes I do know how to cook and I eat what I can but some is stuff I don't like. When I shop I don't buy poo poo I know I won't eat.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

My boss has a lot of dumb ideas and when they are exceptionally dumb he will try to 'lead' the office into implementing the idea rather than just telling us to do it.

"We need to stop telling customers when their shipment is delayed because it causes them to cancel their order. I think you will agree that it is much more sound to......"

It made me realize when you hear the phrase " I think you will agree.." that person is probably trying to sell you bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I honestly don't care if people smoke but weed smells gross as hell, and the dudes downstairs (who, as we all know, are already really loud lol) smoke weed all goddamn day, inside! and it seeps into our apartment, in the hallway, etc. and I guess we need to go talk to them but... why.

both my husband and brother said they were woken up this morning around 6am because of the smell, in addition to a bunch of noise.

:sigh: