Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Cavelcade posted:

Man I had the opposite experience. I had no idea what I was getting into with ds1 and I absolutely loved it. I still think it plays really well. The sl1 playthrough of it was one of the most satisfying game experiences I've had.

I played and loved it back in the day but I agree with you in the sense that I was expecting jank in my recent playthrough, and was pleasently surprised coming straight off of DS3. Sure it's no DS3 but overall the game plays well and combat still feels great.

Slap on a high res texture mod, DSFix, and maybe the connectivity mod for more populated multi and that there is a quality loving experience that still puts current day releases to shame. And it's gorgeous to boot.

Still waitin' on that Bloodborne PC port, Myazaki-san.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Considering that the PS4 uses the x86-64 architecture just like many PCs, I wonder how hard it would be to manually port it. Probably somewhere between "no free weekends for a year" to "holy gently caress this is madness", but still in theory possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KingSlime posted:

Ask Sony about it! I'm sure they'll do it just as soon as they team back up with Atlus to port Demon's Souls.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bloodborne is never ever coming to PC

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

is skyrim ever worth revisiting

I can't even play witcher 3 cause the mechanics feel so lovely

whats a good game to play between souls and other games... zelda?

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 26, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Something that isn't an RPG. Souls games have ruined RPGs for me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nothing feels good to play for a while after a Souls marathon, you just need to go away and read some books or something until your memory of good rear end gaming fades away a bit

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Comedy answer: Lords of the Fallen.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I wish someone would make a game like the movie Dredd 2012 but a video game of that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

well, you have nioh in a couple weeks or so :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never really got that sentiment, Souls games are cool but I wouldn't want every game to play like it. I like lots of different types of games and quite happily play them before, during and after playing a Souls title.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Nioh ruined Souls for me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Only thing I'm slightly sad about with Nioh is the lack of character creation. RPGs where you have that level of character development feel a bit off to me if you don't get to make your own lady dude.

Maybe the defined plot will be different from Lords of the Fallen and actually interesting, though.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

dishonored 2, not even remotely similar but that works in it's favour

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

A MIRACLE posted:

I wish someone would make a game like the movie Dredd 2012 but a video game of that

Play Spec Ops: the Line.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NGDBSS posted:

Considering that the PS4 uses the x86-64 architecture just like many PCs, I wonder how hard it would be to manually port it. Probably somewhere between "no free weekends for a year" to "holy gently caress this is madness", but still in theory possible.

Sony consoles have always been loving horrific puzzle boxes and the PS4 isn't an exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hxEUm-pHUE

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dark Souls gets in your brain. I have been bouncing between my SL1 DS run and Resident Evil 7 and I can't tell you how many healing items I've wasted because heal in RE7 is attack in DS.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

weekly font posted:

Dark Souls gets in your brain. I have been bouncing between my SL1 DS run and Resident Evil 7 and I can't tell you how many healing items I've wasted because heal in RE7 is attack in DS.

I've mainly been switching between Division and DS3, and the amount of times I have almost wasted an estus chug because I went to reload is...a lot.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
play HITMAN, during contracts and escalations you can't save, so you start to learn the level and AI and how you should move etc or you die and have to restart

sounds kinda familiar...

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Comedy answer: Lords of the Fallen.

Confession: I kinda liked LotF. Or at least tolerated it enough to complete it once. Also I was desperate for a new Souls-like and it was close enough.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I got a lords of the fallen when it was free or cheap. Is it worth installing to check out?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah. Just dont level dex. It sucks.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Dark Souls also makes it annoying to switch to Persona 4, because the camera movement is reversed.

Iretep posted:

Yeah. Just dont level dex. It sucks.

wat r u a casual etc

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I had fun in LotF with the greatsword moveset where the running attack has very little windup time and makes the weapon damage hitbox move ahead slightly of the weapon physics hitbox so it kills the enemy and makes them ragdoll all over the place.

Just remember that the game won't let you do fashion souls and that you are expected to upgrade and replace your weapons and armour every so often when you find new ones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lords of the Fallen is good up until a few hours in when you reach the demon world and then it just goes to poo poo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Lords of the Fallen is good up until a few hours in when you reach the demon world and then it just goes to poo poo.

Yeah, that area has a lot of annoying enemies.

Lords of the Fallen is just simply put badly designed. It's almost fine--they clearly took a few lessons from Souls that you should learn, and built large interconnected zones with numerous side paths and alternate routes. They have a slightly more linear focus, but the game has this arcade-like feel to it anyway so it sort of just feels like another nod to stage-based action games like Castlevania.

The problem is that the game just doesn't communicate very much to you. I remember there was a boss fight I wandered into and hoo boy it's another dude in armor but this one was like a mage or something as well. He had a bunch of magic spells and stuff, nothing TOO weird, but then he'd do this big charge-up attack and insta-kill me and I couldn't stun him out of him, I couldn't hide behind a rock, I couldn't dodge it.

Puzzled, I went online and discovered that at the far end of the battle field there were some gazebos that for some inexplicable reason would keep me safe from his instakill moves. When you're inside them you can see some magic symbols but otherwise they look completely ordinary, like any other environmental detail. This mechanic is never introduced prior to this, it's essential to the fight, and it's incredibly poorly communicated. Lords of the Fallen had maybe three talented members of its staff and then a whole crew of humps and the result is an aimless mess of a game with dull, unsatisfying combat that punished you for trying to play it "as intended" and rewarded you for dicking enemies over with shield bases.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I never really got that sentiment, Souls games are cool but I wouldn't want every game to play like it. I like lots of different types of games and quite happily play them before, during and after playing a Souls title.

I mostly agree since I still enjoy lots of good and fun games.

But first/third-person RPGs are kinda ruined for me from it to be honest. Like I just got Shadow of Mordor and most of it is pretty fun like sneaking around ambushing Orcs and poo poo, but the basic combat feels so loving poo poo to me compared to Souls games. And though I was never a huge fan of Witcher's combat anyway, I now can't stand it for the same reason.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Balobam posted:

dishonored 2, not even remotely similar but that works in it's favour

I bounced hard of that. And I loved the first one. The stealth felt lovely and there are more collectables then a drat ubisoft openworld game.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 26, 2017

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just wish there were Souls clones that gave me cosmetic control of my character. It's an incredibly basic feature but most players don't want to use a generic white dude given the choice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I just wish there were Souls clones that gave me cosmetic control of my character. It's an incredibly basic feature but most players don't want to use a generic white dude given the choice.

Theres talk in the Nioh thread about playing as different characters. It seems you are magically changing your appeance to fit story wise, but nobody loving knows. Go to Nioh thread for more.

Also you make a good point, the DS char created is super lovely, but adds a bunch despite how lovely it is.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it even possible for the Ashen One to not have a pointy nose.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The strangest thing is how long the Ashen One's neck is.Also, I made my man-mode dude really buff like I do with all my man-mode dudes and all armor looks hideous, huge, and fat. My paladin just went with the default body type and everything is fine.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That sounds dreadful 8-bit. I really hate it when I feel punished by a game for ignorance of things it made no effort to let me know.
Souls games are pretty tight lipped but there's always the wiki which feels like a part of the game to me (obsessively looking at weapon charts is half my DS experience) and you can brute force your way through if you don't know the nuances.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah that boss is right before the demon hell zone. I got the game free from PS+ and played til there and it was whatever. Really can't recommend playing it. It's so bland.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Insurrectionist posted:

I mostly agree since I still enjoy lots of good and fun games.

But first/third-person RPGs are kinda ruined for me from it to be honest. Like I just got Shadow of Mordor and most of it is pretty fun like sneaking around ambushing Orcs and poo poo, but the basic combat feels so loving poo poo to me compared to Souls games. And though I was never a huge fan of Witcher's combat anyway, I now can't stand it for the same reason.

Dark Souls 1 killed all other RPGs for me as well. If you have to have something similar, Dragon's Dogma is a hoot, but it's very janky compared to Souls (healing is done from a pause menu, etc). The game itself is just fun though.

Other than that, play different games. I've been playing Subnautica, XCom2, Total Warhammer, League and HotS and having fun. I'll hop back on and play DS3 or BB when I want some solid combat but otherwise exploring other genres is great.

I also enjoyed Nioh and that's coming pretty soon. Finally the real deal and a game I enjoy even more than Souls is Monster Hunter but you need a 3DS and it can be very difficult to get into, even coming from Souls. If you get sucked in though, there's easily 500+ hours there between 4U and Gen.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The grinding required in MH is a war crime. I want to like those games.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I played MH3 on the WiiU, cooped with my friend who was on his game boy, we made it pretty far but yeah, there doesn't seem to be an "end" to the game, it really is just killing monsters

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The grinding required in MH is a war crime. I want to like those games.

The go out and gather grind is all but gone. The kill this monster 10 timed to build an armor set is still there and frankly, the core gameplay loop so it will never be gone. It can go from, fun to fight, to chore real fast.

Generally you don't have to grind up through the medium stars. Hell Monster Hunter 4 had credits roll at that point. Then baring a few new monsters there a lot are pallet swaps. That's about where I fall off. I don't particularly want to grind to build a special type weapon to fight a special monster, but some people thrive on that. To each his own. I get a lot of gameplay out of it before I burn out, even knowing there are 100s and 100s more.

TLDR: If you want 50-100 hours gameplay you don't have to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I bounced hard of that. And I loved the first one. The stealth felt lovely and there are more collectables then a drat ubisoft openworld game.

really? it felt like a straight improvement in every mechanical way to me - what about the stealth put you off?

there are a lot of collectables tho, but to be fair the majority of them at least have some substance, like letting you level stuff up or the bone charms