Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
https://gfycat.com/SmartSlowGuineafowl

I knew I was forgetting to do something since buying that Adamantoise mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vadoc posted:

Or just start buying the next step items in the meantime.

No sense in doing that, Singing Crystals are like Aether Oils: Something you absolutely should get by doing the quests rather than tomes, if you can help it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Zandar posted:

Couldn't they just change the number of points a sand gives?

E: I mean, they changed light values for Nexus and mob counts for Animus, not sure why this would be different.

light values are also again just values in a database that add to another value in a different place in a database

the treated sand increase, bonus RNG and all that jazz are tightly tied into static graphical images that all would have to be re-localized, plus all the visual sliders and numbers on them aren't actual text, they're images

they will always go for the easier options

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

ilifinicus posted:

light values are also again just values in a database that add to another value in a different place in a database

the treated sand increase, bonus RNG and all that jazz are tightly tied into static graphical images that all would have to be re-localized, plus all the visual sliders and numbers on them aren't actual text, they're images

All this said, there's still no reason to spend your Umbrites and sands now unless you desperately need those two inventory slots, so you can save them anyway. Then all your bases are covered.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
So I just bought the Fan Fest Stream for Frankfurt about a month in advance because there's a code being passed around that lowers its price to about 21 euros (roughly $19.50 USD). If you think you're definitely going to get the stream in the end, it may be a good idea to buy it now so you can use the code and get it discounted.

Code: S3Agv7

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

The stat sliders are irrelevant, since nothing about them would change. All of the graphical images except the bonus are tied into current values of treated crystal sand/stats, which can already be any number. There isn't even any message other than the bonus when you create treated sand. If they don't change the bonus, it doesn't seem like they'd need to update the images at all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Grimace posted:

So I just bought the Fan Fest Stream for Frankfurt about a month in advance because there's a code being passed around that lowers its price to about 21 euros (roughly $19.50 USD). If you think you're definitely going to get the stream in the end, it may be a good idea to buy it now so you can use the code and get it discounted.

Code: S3Agv7

Not working for me in the UK, :rip:.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Yeah, this was my main gripe with the penultimate/antepenultimate MNK relic. It's awful because a surprising number of Monk body pieces just kind of end at the bicep and depend on their corresponding arm gear or an equivalent to cover up the rest of the arm, but the gauntlet part of the relic only extends to the wrist, which left your entire forearm and elbow uncovered and awkward looking.

On the other hand, Sultan Fists worked great with the Flame Lieutenant's Coat and other tops with long bulky sleeves that would cover large gloves anyway. The Starlight top from the 2013 Christmas event that has mittens built into the shirt works especially well, unless it bugs you that you get saw blades jutting out of your mittens when you fight (why would this bug you).

It's true that they look weird with tops that have short or tight sleeves, but not all weapons go with every glamour anyway.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 26, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I really do hope they increase the relic to 275 because I really don't want to use the alex spear it's so bad.

I'm sitting at 1150 crit right now. I'll have to dip below 1000 to use the alex spear (det/ss) and still have enough accuracy for raiding. :rip:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

They already said they will add a victory lap step to raise it to 275, like the Zeta step in 2.x.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Thinking on it, I don't think cutting the tomestone cost of aether oils is really a meaningful nerf, since the 3500 lore would still be better spent on umbrite. Getting the oils by running Crystal Tower for 5 weeks and and also getting 11 umbrite is better than getting all oils in one week and having no umbrite, since finishing umbrite in 5 weeks is unlikely. Why isn't there a daily/weekly quest for umbrite? (I'm still mad about umbrite)

Also, I see they fixed that bannable bug that allowed people to use pomanders outside of the deep dungeon. Neat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Philonius posted:

They already said they will add a victory lap step to raise it to 275, like the Zeta step in 2.x.

I know, but I know people that are worried because of the "Saga complete" that you get at 270.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

we've already data mined the 275 icons in the game files, do not worry

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I really do hope they increase the relic to 275 because I really don't want to use the alex spear it's so bad.

I'm sitting at 1150 crit right now. I'll have to dip below 1000 to use the alex spear (det/ss) and still have enough accuracy for raiding. :rip:

Supposedly for DRK the stats on our Alexander weapon are so bad for us that the 270 Shire weapon is better, I'm not sure how stark it is for Dragoons but might be good to check something similar

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Supposedly for DRK the stats on our Alexander weapon are so bad for us that the 270 Shire weapon is better, I'm not sure how stark it is for Dragoons but might be good to check something similar

I don't play DRG, but my understanding is that the relic is better by like a tiny iota.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stormgale posted:

Ive got the dark sword and yeah its parry/SS. But my next highest dark weapon is i235 so i use it.

PLD sword is loving sick though

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ive got the dark sword and yeah its parry/SS. But my next highest dark weapon is i235 so i use it.

PLD sword is loving sick though

It's still I think within 1% of the 270 sword, i'm coming at this from starting back up 2 weeks ago though so the 270 sword is a hell of an investment as well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stormgale posted:

I seem to recall reading that this isn't especially uncommon when it comes to 5 ilvl increases, because the weapon damage increase is only +1 so having a significant amount of optimal stats when the 5ilvl increase weapon doesn't have them makes up for it.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
My question for Stormblood: Is there any known catchup mechanic for people who, say, never cleared Heavensward? I'd love to try out the new expansion but if it means having to play through the full expansion or level a job up from level 1 I'll pass on this one

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I seem to recall reading that this isn't especially uncommon when it comes to 5 ilvl increases, because the weapon damage increase is only +1 so having a significant amount of optimal stats when the 5ilvl increase weapon doesn't have them makes up for it.

It's especially true for tanks when you go from an item that has crit/det to one that has parry on it. For other jobs, going from optimal to least optimal just makes the upgrade far less significant.

For reference:
DRK i270 Shire: 2725 weighted
DRK i275 Alexander: 2704 weighted
(True difference is closer to 9.5 due to how tank weights actually work)

DRG i270 Shire: 1496 weighted
DRG i275 Alexander: 1505 weighted

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Luna Was Here posted:

My question for Stormblood: Is there any known catchup mechanic for people who, say, never cleared Heavensward? I'd love to try out the new expansion but if it means having to play through the full expansion or level a job up from level 1 I'll pass on this one

They've already announced that they will make catch-up potions that will skip you to Stormblood available in their online store, not sure of the timetable though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hyper Inferno posted:

It's especially true for tanks when you go from an item that has crit/det to one that has parry on it. For other jobs, going from optimal to least optimal just makes the upgrade far less significant.

For reference:
DRK i270 Shire: 2725 weighted
DRK i275 Alexander: 2704 weighted
(True difference is closer to 9.5 due to how tank weights actually work)

DRG i270 Shire: 1496 weighted
DRG i275 Alexander: 1505 weighted

While the shire spear may not be technically as good as the alex spear, neither is as good as my relic at 270. I have accuracy on it, but to take that accuracy off of it means i lose around 200 crit with the alex spear and around 50 or so with the shire spear (because i'd have to remove crit melds for accuracy).

Shire is good for any non-accuracy related things, but i've also had misses in the current expert dungeons with 640 accuracy.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

i am tim! posted:

They've already announced that they will make catch-up potions that will skip you to Stormblood available in their online store, not sure of the timetable though.
I think the initial idea was just to skip ARR though? So at least that means no starting from level 1, but it does mean clearing HW.

Which is good since HW is good. It doesn't have the horrible pacing issues the early leveling stuff in ARR did, and if you really dislike the main story stuff in HW I can't imagine you'd enjoy Stormblood much either.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They're talking about jump potions to skip story (ARR at least to start), but honestly Heavensward story is really good and not exactly an onerous thing that falls under the category of "ugh, do I haaaaaave to" annoyance. Just because something isn't the newest and greatest doesn't mean it ceases to be good in its own right.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

As an AST, I like the relic just for the ability to micromanage my accuracy. I recently rejiggered the relic so that when combined with baked pipira pira, I am at exactly the accuracy cap. No waste.

Man, I really hope stormblood dumps accuracy. Parry needs to either vanish, or be overhauled too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They had said around 3.3 that a parry overhaul was coming in HW changing it to be a determination like stat but then i never saw anything else about it.

And the relic is great because i can have 4 SS on it so in can hit 625 without too much trouble.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think they eventually changed their mind on that and delayed it because raids and balance or some poo poo?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Truga posted:

I think they eventually changed their mind on that and delayed it because raids and balance or some poo poo?

Makes sense it would be hard to balance right now.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Truga posted:

They probably decided it would be easier to include it as part of the 4.0 changes once they had already committed to that.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Vil posted:

They're talking about jump potions to skip story (ARR at least to start), but honestly Heavensward story is really good and not exactly an onerous thing that falls under the category of "ugh, do I haaaaaave to" annoyance. Just because something isn't the newest and greatest doesn't mean it ceases to be good in its own right.

That's not why people want to skip it. People want to play the game with their friends and possibly goons for some reason.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Asimo posted:

loving bastards nerf umbrite already. :argh:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'll be that guy who buys the oils.

How often are people running Circus?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No sense in doing that, Singing Crystals are like Aether Oils: Something you absolutely should get by doing the quests rather than tomes, if you can help it.

Unless you're actively on that step because the next thing you can get for ore is crazy cheap and you only need a handful of them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

m.hache posted:

I'll be that guy who buys the oils.

How often are people running Circus?

ST and WoD have actually had pretty decent queue times lately, at least in Aether. LotA queue is still a crapshoot though.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The only thing keeping me from really worrying about the 4.0 changes is yoship mains a BLM, so I know he won't gently caress us over :ohdear:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

My ACT is reporting tiny values for everything, but people seem to be in the same relative positions they would have been. Cooldown timers and TTS triggers are working fine. ACT is granted firewall access and running as admin. I've tried toggling network parsing on / off. What else can I check?

Example:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thundarr posted:

ST and WoD have actually had pretty decent queue times lately, at least in Aether. LotA queue is still a crapshoot though.

I'd recommend trying to queue them the day of reset because you'll have more people wanting it Tails and to get the Oil. I'd imagine the first number tapers down over the week. (Maybe spikes on Monday because people realise they need to get it done?)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

My ACT is reporting tiny values for everything, but people seem to be in the same relative positions they would have been. Cooldown timers and TTS triggers are working fine. ACT is granted firewall access and running as admin. I've tried toggling network parsing on / off. What else can I check?

Example:

did you turn on parse-by-potency instead of parse-by-damage?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think so, but I can check later. Maybe it was enabled somehow when converting my old configs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Luna Was Here posted:

What's the point of even playing if you skip 2/3 of the games content, holy poo poo.

• Locked thread