Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Two quick stories related to elevators and toilets.

In my building people love to stand right up against the elevator door. The second the door opens they push their way inside refusing to let those already in the lift get out! One day I got snippy with a lady that did it to me constantly saying "Pardon me. I'll just ride back down with you and try to get off again on the second pass" and proceeded to ride back down giving her my best angry IT guy stare the entire way.

I am constantly having to :yikes: when I enter a bathroom stall in my building because people routinely get poop on the seat. ROUTINELY. One day I even found a fork laying on the stall floor with poop on it! I need a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

RFC2324 posted:

I was thinking something along these lines... the warmer it is the worse things stink

I don't want to pee or poop in subzero temperatures, I don't care how much less it stinks. (Also, I have a few colleagues that routinely go take a 15 minute dump, it stinks enough anyway)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Marketing department pisses me off.

I think everybody can agree that marketing can go gently caress itself with a cactus.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SwitchbladeKult posted:

In my building people love to stand right up against the elevator door. The second the door opens they push their way inside refusing to let those already in the lift get out! One day I got snippy with a lady that did it to me constantly saying "Pardon me. I'll just ride back down with you and try to get off again on the second pass" and proceeded to ride back down giving her my best angry IT guy stare the entire way.

I am constantly having to :yikes: when I enter a bathroom stall in my building because people routinely get poop on the seat. ROUTINELY. One day I even found a fork laying on the stall floor with poop on it! I need a new job.

Hmm, the "close door" buttons work just fine at my job, at least on the two elevators I use. <shrug>

Toilets... good god. :cry: A few years back, before Medical Records moved to a different building, there were *constant* calls to Facilities regarding assorted :nms: :barf: issues, ranging from, well, *everything possible* on the seat (piss, poo poo, blood) to the same on the floor, blood or poo poo on the walls of the stall or room, et cetera. *Always* in the women's staff restroom, where clients can't get access. :ohdear:

What I noticed a lot in the staff men's restroom was either toilet paper or paper towels in the loving urinal, paper towels in the toilet, or someone using 5-7 paper seat covers and clogging the toilet. (May have been mixed in with a ton of toilet paper, or paper towels as well.)

Oh, and good news for Facilities! (This is a lie.) The norovirus outbreak at the nearby homeless shelter, where a lot of our clients come from, is back!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SwitchbladeKult posted:

One day I even found a fork laying on the stall floor with poop on it!

:psyboom:

I hope he enjoyed his fecal lasagna

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Volmarias posted:

:psyboom:

I hope he enjoyed his fecal lasagna

Someone was probably pulling poo poo out of their rear end with it, apparently this is a thing, do not ask me why I know :nms:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MF_James posted:

Someone was probably pulling poo poo out of their rear end with it, apparently this is a thing, do not ask me why I know :nms:

Oh, I believe you and assumed the same thing.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MF_James posted:

I feel like I've posted this far more than normal lately; but what the actual gently caress :stare:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Thread title is weirdly literal today... :stonk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There is more than one person in our office who cannot piss without firehosing the seat and floor, and then doesn't loving clean up after themselves either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

There is more than one person in our office who cannot piss without firehosing the seat and floor, and then doesn't loving clean up after themselves either.

we have a wall pisser

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bob Morales posted:

we have a wall pisser

Side wall or back wall behind the toilet?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

SEKCobra posted:

I don't want to pee or poop in subzero temperatures, I don't care how much less it stinks. (Also, I have a few colleagues that routinely go take a 15 minute dump, it stinks enough anyway)

Holy gently caress, shitters should be chilly. If I'm going to exert myself that much, I want to keep cool.

But in all seriousness, our bathrooms are upwards of 30 degrees celcius, and its horrible. There's a reason, and they are supposed to be that warm, but it loving blows.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Siochain posted:

Holy gently caress, shitters should be chilly. If I'm going to exert myself that much, I want to keep cool.

But in all seriousness, our bathrooms are upwards of 30 degrees celcius, and its horrible. There's a reason, and they are supposed to be that warm, but it loving blows.

Why on earth is that justified?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I work at university and just received email from system administrator for our department, that mails sent to faculty email from google's (and yahoo's, but gently caress yahoo) domain have a chance to silently die because the domains are flagged as frequent originator of spam and I should manually change spam filter settings for my email address to stop it from auto deleting spam. So far so good.

But apparently the system administrator at university's level refuses to unflag google's domain, because it is "irrelevant in our country". Given that roughly half of my students write me from gmail address, I just might have to kill him.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our provider only gives us a /29 of IPv4 space and doesn't do IPv6, and has no timeline for when they might support it :negative:

Apparently I am supposed to feel good about this because new customers get CGNAT and no IPv6 (hint: they don't, they just go somewhere else).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Side wall or back wall behind the toilet?

side wall

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
kink in the hose. Probably your boss, the old guy against sugar and sensical naming schemes for folders.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was it splashback from seat pissing or just a stream directed at the wall?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Sinestro posted:

Why on earth is that justified?

I work at a mine, and the bathroom for the admin building is one of the dry's (see link: http://www.atcosl.com/en-ca/Products-and-Services/Speciality-Buildings/Mine-Drys)

Something like that. So, its hot to dry out gear.

loving sucks to drop a deuce in that heat, though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Siochain posted:

I work at a mine, and the bathroom for the admin building is one of the dry's (see link: http://www.atcosl.com/en-ca/Products-and-Services/Speciality-Buildings/Mine-Drys)

Something like that. So, its hot to dry out gear.

loving sucks to drop a deuce in that heat, though.

Seems like a lovely place to put a shitter.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Weatherman posted:

Regarding email missends: lol if you don't have an automatic two-minute delay rule configured on all outgoing emails. That has saved me in more than handful of occasions.

Gmail added this at some point and it's glorious.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Seems like a lovely place to put a shitter.

Only place to put it hahah.
The "benefits" of being a mine in the middle of nowhere.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

xiw posted:

Gmail added this at some point and it's glorious.

Same. That undo button is handy, though Gmail's implementation is more limited than a general delay. (Click away from the page? Guess what just got sent!)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

SwitchbladeKult posted:

In my building people love to stand right up against the elevator door. The second the door opens they push their way inside refusing to let those already in the lift get out!

I do the opposite at home: I love standing nose-to-door and barging out the moment it opens. Sometimes backwards without looking if I've got a handcart full of groceries. I don't care how loving goony it is; I'll plow through assholes who don't understand that A: don't stand in front of the loving doors and B: you let people out before you get in. I'm 6'4", overweight, and pushing a bicycle out of the elevator: I'm exiting the elevator before anybody boards it. Period. I live on the last floor so until they let me out the elevator isn't moving.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Siochain posted:

There's a difference between chilly and -5 degrees celsius. Obviously I don't want to start sweating just by walking in the door, but outside temps are in the -20 - -10 °C range right now, so it is cold as gently caress.

MisterOblivious posted:

I do the opposite at home: I love standing nose-to-door and barging out the moment it opens. Sometimes backwards without looking if I've got a handcart full of groceries. I don't care how loving goony it is; I'll plow through assholes who don't understand that A: don't stand in front of the loving doors and B: you let people out before you get in. I'm 6'4", overweight, and pushing a bicycle out of the elevator: I'm exiting the elevator before anybody boards it. Period. I live on the last floor so until they let me out the elevator isn't moving.

I also have a handcart because I currently don't own a car anymore and it's the only viable way to go grocery shopping via tram.

e:
Actually it's more like a grandma's shopping trolley but w/e

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have the same issue getting off the tube - motherfuckers just try and get on as soon as the doors open. I've taken to barging through the crowd to clear a path for the people behind me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

People do the same thing here. Or almost worse - They will stand right outside the door and wait for people to get off, which you can't because they're all in the way.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

People do the same thing here. Or almost worse - They will stand right outside the door and wait for people to get off, which you can't because they're all in the way.

gently caress them. Doubly so if they then complain about it taking too long.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Pissing me off: I can't sleep. I've gone through every medication they make for insomnia but some days my body just decides "no, you're going to stay awake until 5AM gently caress if I care about the consequences".
Not pissing me off: :yotj:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Moatman posted:

Pissing me off: I can't sleep. I've gone through every medication they make for insomnia but some days my body just decides "no, you're going to stay awake until 5AM gently caress if I care about the consequences".

Sounds like you're stressed out.

Luckily a :yotj: can help with that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Weatherman posted:

Regarding email missends: lol if you don't have an automatic two-minute delay rule configured on all outgoing emails. That has saved me in more than handful of occasions.

Until you have to endure someone painfully demonstrating that email they send to a colleague from a their work address arrives slower than email from their personal address and what is is the issue and why have we got a problem with our system and I don't understand why we have this problem and I will talk to the CEO after this discussion and inform him that we have a major problem with our email being very slow and IT, Weatherman especially, aren't doing anything to resolve it.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo pissing me of: Ricoh!

We used a a piece of software to split scanned delivery notes and invoices, rename them and put them in a folder structure so they can be called up in our ERP program. I say used because mid december, the software broke because we virtualized the server and changed the Windowse license key to the virtual one. Of course, the software is no longer supported so I have to find a replacement. As this is part of our Invoice Approval Workflow, it's pretty critical and people are bugging me left and right about when it's going to be fixed. Since the previous program worked pretty well, I go to the same supplier to ask what they recommend (i.c. Ricoh). They get me an offer, not exactly cheap but this is urgent so I accept, stressing that we need this asap.

Between Christmas and newyear I don't hear from them. To be expected, so I don't really fret about it. The first week of January passes and I still hear nothing. I start sending mails and calling people to ask when the install is going to be. Finally, halfway January, an engineer is scheduled. He's on site for about half an hour when he tells me he has the wrong license and there's nothing he can do until the right one is ordered. I give him the same specs I used to get the quote, and according to him, those are pretty clear. After a couple of days, they tell me the new license is going to add about 20% to the quoted price. I agree, as long as they just come and get it up-and-running as management is on my rear end! After this, silence ...

Getting really loving tired of this, I manage to find another piece of software that does exactly what we want at about 1/4th of the price. So, we contact Ricoh to let them know that we're cancelling the order. Suddenly, it's not a problem to return calls or schedule installs. They'll also talk to their legal department if we cancel.

If they'd just done what they were supposed to do in a timely fashion ... But now it's a shitshow with legal treats, my boss (the owner) in involved and I'm getting stressed out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We use a program called Drivve on our copiers to route documents based on some barcode, it's a pain in the dick.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

my buddy just messaged this me about his job:

they just handed me 2 encrypted CDs
and said "get into these"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sudo rm -rf posted:

my buddy just messaged this me about his job:

they just handed me 2 encrypted CDs
and said "get into these"

My favorite--absolute favorite--is when I get contacted about a customer who needs to restore. This customer elected to use a private encryption key rather than our default ones. Then lost the key. And cannot remember the passphrase they used to generate the key.

Support has invariably spent hours trying to help them.

They're always enraged and incredulous when I say that no, I cannot do that. Not won't, but can not. That's the entire point of encrypting your backups. There's a huge red warning when you elect to make your own key that says there is absolutely no recourse whatsoever if you lose the key file and cannot remember your passphrase. That data is gone forever.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Moatman posted:

:same:

I feel you fello goon. I've had sleeping problems since I was a child and nothing that's healthy works. I can't combine :yotj: and Benadryl every night. I could but I want to live to see AI murder humanity.

sixth and maimed posted:

poo poo pissing me of: Ricoh!

gently caress Ricoh. I ended up logged in as a completely different one of their customers by hitting refresh on their poo poo website too many times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

C'mon you wimps, we've all seen this stuff on TV. You just get a usb drive with your decryption software and wait a few minutes (hopefully the armed security guards don't find you before it hits 100%) and boom you got the data.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Getting vendor quotes then changes directions and requiring different hardware after bringing the quote up not once but twice. It always end up as I thought it'd be more can we also do X Y and Z then but then we don't need A A was a work around. Okay so I need to drop some stuff add some stuff and it's not that much more pretty much the same price. How about you tell me what the ideal solution is and how much you want to spend and I get you something that is cheaper?

I'm not the vendor I want this to be as cheap as possible while still doing everything you need and being easy for me to manage.

I fear I'm going to piss the vendor off these aren't even large business problems like 4-5 digit problems. It's a mid sized company transitioning into a large size while still having a small sized mentality. We made 7 figures profit last quarter why do you care about a $700 difference in a $9000 project?

Obviously I can't outright say that, my role is not managing money, though having a department budget instead of project budgets would fix this a ton.

e: unknown project budgets until the price is at the sweet spot then it's well sounds right I was expecting X+$200 or can you get it down a bit? I was expecting $X-200.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm watching Cisco product update webinar and the host is doing fine, but there is someone else with their mic unmuted (or maybe sitting right next to this guy) who sounds like they're banging doors open and shut and belching. Very professional.