Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Speaking of music, does anyone remember the name of the song used when Rean uses his "ogre power" to start soloing the Pantagruel? I used to know it's name, then forgot and it's killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lynkericious posted:

Speaking of music, does anyone remember the name of the song used when Rean uses his "ogre power" to start soloing the Pantagruel? I used to know it's name, then forgot and it's killing me.

I think that the first time blue destination plays

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Cake Attack posted:

the katakana is wrong for reinford, dunno about katarina

Looks like it does match, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Speaking of Akatsuki, did anyone get the Vita version working outside of Japan? It just complains that the connection environment might not play smoothly and then dumps me out to the title screen.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Cake Attack posted:

I think that the first time blue destination plays

Yeah, that's exactly it! Thanks, I'd been wanting to add it to a playlist, and it was destroying me that I'd forgotten it's name, and couldn't find it anywhere.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Blue Destination rules.

I started out being sad that Heated Mind replaced Glint of Cold Steel (I really like that song), but Heated Mind eventually grew on me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

lets hang out posted:

The battle music grew on me a lot

Okay yeah it has, a bit

Also it took some (a lot) doing, but I managed to get the bonus AP against the two jaegers :toot: (playing on Nightmare ofc)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Get used to that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Xanadu Next is extremely my poo poo. I recently got the ability to destroy boulders and am spelunking through a volcano mine or something. I love the idea of rotating out weapons to get skills, and even though you have to decide what points to put into what at level ups you're given a direction to do so thanks to the various equipment requirements. I've maxed out the Guardian that boosts weapon proficiency and am super close to doing the same for the HP boosting one, and now I just got one that gives me discounts at the store that I'm certainly going to try to max out too since that sounds useful. I'm constantly swapping weapons, guardians, and goals in and out in a very organic fashion as I progress.

The graphics look like butt but that's sort of understandable given when and where it came out.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Quick question: still at around 50 hours in CS1, and I'm at Heimdallr. I'm enjoying my time with it, mainly because the combat is good and the characters are pretty likeable, but like... the plot has been preeeeeetty slow so far, at least imo. I realize that it'll pick up later on the game, so I just wanted to know if CS2's plotline is as meandering or if it picks up right from the word go. Nothing explicit of course, just in general. Gonna play it either way, I'm pretty invested at this point.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
CS2 picks up way quicker than CS1 does, because the plot basically kicks into high gear right at the end of CS1.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

psychoJ posted:

Quick question: still at around 50 hours in CS1, and I'm at Heimdallr. I'm enjoying my time with it, mainly because the combat is good and the characters are pretty likeable, but like... the plot has been preeeeeetty slow so far, at least imo. I realize that it'll pick up later on the game, so I just wanted to know if CS2's plotline is as meandering or if it picks up right from the word go. Nothing explicit of course, just in general. Gonna play it either way, I'm pretty invested at this point.

Yeah the thing about Trails games is game 1 is almost always Worldbuilding+Setting all the pieces, game 2 is when poo poo gets going.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Xanadu Next is extremely my poo poo. I recently got the ability to destroy boulders and am spelunking through a volcano mine or something. I love the idea of rotating out weapons to get skills, and even though you have to decide what points to put into what at level ups you're given a direction to do so thanks to the various equipment requirements. I've maxed out the Guardian that boosts weapon proficiency and am super close to doing the same for the HP boosting one, and now I just got one that gives me discounts at the store that I'm certainly going to try to max out too since that sounds useful. I'm constantly swapping weapons, guardians, and goals in and out in a very organic fashion as I progress.

The graphics look like butt but that's sort of understandable given when and where it came out.

I liked Xanadu next quite a bit but then petered out at one of the bosses, I should get back to it.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Alright, good to know! Looking forward to beating both and then waiting for the third one with the rest of y'all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My fav parts of the Trails series are the reunions

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm in Xanadu Labyrinth in Xanadu Next, still trucking along. Game remains exceptional but the inventory management is definitely wearing on me, having to go back and forth between gamepad and mouse constantly. There are innumerable potential quality of life improvements needed in this game, most importantly I feel I either need the ability to swap Guardians on the fly OR some of their effects should just be permanent, like the shopping/experience boosts. Since leveling up takes so long at this point I feel compelled to just stay with the Exp one constantly which of course means I'm ignoring leveling up any of the others.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/825690658828591105

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Were they even allowed to distribute them (Chinese versions) outside of China? Because that's a thing often disregarded by Chinese licensors.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
They weren't trying to distribute them outside of China.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/826134886310309888

It was 13% at the end of December so editing will probably be done within a month although who knows how long QA is gonna be

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

It was 13% at the end of December so editing will probably be done within a month although who knows how long QA is gonna be

Next year :v:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Cake Attack posted:

As someone in QA hell at work right now, QA lasts approximately for-loving-ever and then some. :smith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ganbare, xseed

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I kinda hope it doesn't come out too fast as much as I want to play it so it can put some space between it and the looming spectre of Persona 5

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Were they ever up on the main store though? That image looks like it's just showing them on the community/greenlight page and I know they took those down but I think that's normal? Like, they'd still have to get the games ready for steam and there's no way they would've started working before they were greenlit. There's removing the current DRM, building for steam, checking compatibility with modern operating systems and testing/bug fixes after all of that is done.

I mean, I guess they could have also just posted them without doing anything but that seems unlikely--they wouldn't have really needed to use greenlight to check interest if the main cost they were going to be paying out was steam distribution.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

I kinda hope it doesn't come out too fast as much as I want to play it so it can put some space between it and the looming spectre of Persona 5

I'm pretty sure there's no question that XSEED is smarter than that. It'll either be next month, really early March, or Summer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It has to be summer, there's like 10 rpgs coming out between now until the end of may, and at least 4 of them are triple A.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Hatsuu implies that they will be competing with P5. It probably doesn't matter since it's a steam only title with no physical release--they do not need to care about day 1, week 1, etc. sales as much. The release of something like P5 would less alter the actual release date and more alter the schedule on whatever marketing they'd want to give it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think Trails is really competing with P5 even if it came out on the same day. Some people who are into both and have limited funds might wait a couple months to pick up Trails 3rd, but I don't think P5 is really going to cannibalize their sales in the long run. People who care about Trails are gonna buy it eventually, and people who don't aren't gonna suddenly be swayed by 'woah, it's the third game in a tightly knit continuity AND it's mostly side-stories and character building without much main plot! I gotta get on this!'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in case anybody didn't know it was a thing, i highly recommend subscribing to the falcom music channel on youtube where someone dumps literally all of their musical tracks, including early 90s jdk band albums and music from games that never even got released outside japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVR0IwqrWrI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8RwNUXBnjg

good poo poo

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 31, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

note there are spoilers on that channel for cold steel 1 and 2

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

This stupid ice block puzzle has me super stumped. I'm like 99% sure it's just guarding a chest of gold but I can't be sure unless I solve it!! God I'm terrible at puzzles in video games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you want to cheat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLtkMJUZH0

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was willing cheat about 30 minutes ago I just couldn't find anything searching for "Xanadu Next Sliding Block Puzzle" or whatever.

E: And it had a tablet so it's a good thing I didn't skip it

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 31, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well don't worry you'll have more opportunities :rms:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Some magazine scans containing new screens from Cold Steel III:

Rean:

Altina in less lolicon-pandering outfit:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Now that accuracy with physical attacks is like an actual game mechanic you need to pay attention to in CS2, what I really find myself missing (he he) is an actual straight-up indicator of how accurate attacks are. What the game tells me is that Rean has 36 dexterity and +50% hit rate from his Hit 1. And what is that, exactly? Does he have a flat +50% to hit? Certainly not, or he'd be hitting everything all the time. Is it giving him his normal hit rate times 1.5? Well what is that hit rate then? It's certainly not 36%! And so on. It's frustrating to have to vaguely feel out how accurate everybody is and how modifiers affect that when this is such an important part of the game now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

equip hit 2 and never think about it again

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Or don't. I played through the game twice already and the decreased hit % never felt that bad.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Or use artes/s-crafts forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Now that accuracy with physical attacks is like an actual game mechanic you need to pay attention to in CS2, what I really find myself missing (he he) is an actual straight-up indicator of how accurate attacks are. What the game tells me is that Rean has 36 dexterity and +50% hit rate from his Hit 1. And what is that, exactly? Does he have a flat +50% to hit? Certainly not, or he'd be hitting everything all the time. Is it giving him his normal hit rate times 1.5? Well what is that hit rate then? It's certainly not 36%! And so on. It's frustrating to have to vaguely feel out how accurate everybody is and how modifiers affect that when this is such an important part of the game now.

Based on observed differences in hitting/dodging at different difficulty levels pretty sure it's +50% dexterity which is then used in an unknown calculation against enemy agility. Similar story for agility and the +evasion%. The game doesn't show your hit rate against a given target. Or a given target's agility/dexterity. I kind of wish they did since yeah otherwise the numbers feel kind of meaningless and it's hard to suss out the difference between 30 and 34 and such.

Though, at the same time, even on nightmare I've never felt the need to go beyond +100% for dexterity. Which I guess would actually be +150% with insight up so maybe even +50% would be fine there. Evasion is similar; 150% (100+insight) is usually good enough, though maybe not +100%. I kind of feel like, as with speed, enemy dex/agi must not keep up with your own growths as well either, so the later you get in the game the better any given +% actually becomes. It's also worth pointing out that they don't give damage estimations before attacking either--most games that you'd expect to give you hit rate estimations also do that so not doing both feels fair enough as well.