Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

inthesto posted:

Parks & Recreation

Well, that explains why Eleanor talking about Tahani sounds so much like Leslie talking about Anne to me. Same person was writing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I started poking around some of the promotional material back before the show launched just to see if there were any clues or hints there.

There wasn't really, but this was pretty funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Ted Danson so talented that he did smiles that can be seen as kindly or menacing depending on what you know or is it just that I'm biased now

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Ted Danson so talented that he did smiles that can be seen as kindly or menacing depending on what you know or is it just that I'm biased now

He definitely looks evil in that pic, and it's interesting they wrote "Good" on it when everyone else's character posters were just decorated. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that picture was intentional.

I remember reading back during the hiatus that Kristen Bell and Ted Danson knew the arc of the season, but no one else in the cast did. There's an interview where D'arcy Carden says KBell filmed them all as they were told the truth. Hopefully those reaction vids will show up online eventually or at least as extras on the S1 release.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's so cool that Ted Danson has recovered from the nadir of "throwing a hot dog down a hallway" to become one of the greatest actors on television again.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I saw a bunch of new posts and panicked that the show had been cancelled or something

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It's so cool that Ted Danson has recovered from the nadir of "throwing a hot dog down a hallway" to become one of the greatest actors on television again.

Hahah what is this referencing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

You legitimately probably don't want to know, it was kinda pathetic and very mean.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Escobarbarian posted:

After he broke up with Whoopi Goldberg he described sex with her as being like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

After he broke up with Whoopi Goldberg he described sex with her as being like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

Haha, my mother obliquely referenced this today and I had no idea what she was talking about

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

.....well precision was right :(

edit HAHAHA JESUS CHRIST

quote:

Danson experienced substantial negative press attention on October 8, 1993, after his appearance in blackface at a Friars Club comedy roast in honor of Goldberg. In his monologue, Danson made extensive use of offensive racial stereotypes, used the word "friend of the family" more than a dozen times, and ate a watermelon, angering such guests as Montel Williams and Mayor David Dinkins.[26][27] Goldberg defended the sketch, explaining that she had helped write much of the material and referred Danson to the makeup artist who painted his face.[28] Danson and Goldberg issued statements emphasizing "the Friars Club tradition of raucous and over the top humor" and describing those offended as newcomers who "were uncomfortable with what to expect".

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 25, 2017

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Huh. I've heard that phrase all my life and had no idea it came from Ted Danson.

Thinking further, he probably didn't invent it, but he may have brought it into the pop culture lexicon when he said it.

Anyway, I prefer the nasty public exchanges between Tom Arnold and Roseanne Barr, two people you don't need to feel bad about

Roseanne posted:

Oh, and by the way, I've just been artificially inseminated. And I have sixteen babies inside of me! And that oughtta keep "Hard Copy" on forever! And it was not painful, just so you know. It was just a little prick, kind of like having sex with Tom. And it only took a minute!

Tom posted:

Even a 747 looks small in the Grand Canyon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think we might be in The Bad Thread now :(

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Huh. I've heard that phrase all my life and had no idea it came from Ted Danson.

Well, I don't think he invented it. I heard one of my uncles make that reference once when I was a kid, and that was well before Mr. Danson thought it'd be a good idea to show up at a public event (roasting his girlfriend Whoopie Goldberg) after asking his makeup artist to give him the "Full Jolson."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think Whoopi was lying when she defended the blackface and said she wrote it with him though, so I'd dock them both a few thousand points for "aggressively bad cultural awareness"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

precision posted:

I think we might be in The Bad Thread now :(

In a surprise twist, we always were

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'd rather this than endless speculation on how things ACTUALLY work that we have no possible way of knowing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ I wrote this and then started watching the first episode and within a minute thought "I wonder if the EMT was REALLY Eleanor's ex"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Escobarbarian posted:

Fargo is goddamn fantastic

I wish Season 2 would go on Hulu already.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

pwn posted:

Thinking further, he probably didn't invent it, but he may have brought it into the pop culture lexicon when he said it.

Anyway, I prefer the nasty public exchanges between Tom Arnold and Roseanne Barr, two people you don't need to feel bad about

gently caress Tom Arnold but that's a pretty good burn.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ok, so if Sean is Michael's boss what was that conversation they had about "I bet your boss would be mad" in the bedroom? That conversation doesn't make sense if they were boss/employee and were both in on it.

Also was Mindy in on it too?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Ok, so if Sean is Michael's boss what was that conversation they had about "I bet your boss would be mad" in the bedroom? That conversation doesn't make sense if they were boss/employee and were both in on it.

Maybe he's being sarcastic? I think Sean is Michael's boss because Michael gets excited when he asks for more info about the plan and he's at the head of the table.

Here's a question, why does Michael's office have a security guard? Inter-demon conflict? Escapees?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They have a real problem with stapler theft

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Your Taint posted:

I'm definitely assuming that Mindy and the medium place were part of the ruse and not real.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Your Taint posted:

My guess is that Shawn is in a superior position to Michael, but in another department, and thus not really his boss despite having a degree of authority.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm definitely assuming that Mindy and the medium place were part of the ruse and not real.

Janet said her powers stopped working when they entered The Medium Place, which is indicative of ... something.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Going to the Medium Place was Janet's idea and she wasn't in on the plot.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mindy lived in the Medium Place for 30 years. Shawn made references to having not made a judgment in 29/30 years, implying this is the judgment and he is well-aware of the Medium Place. Trevor is on her orientation video; Trevor is in on Michael's plot They can use the walkie-talkie from one specific Bad Janet to one specific Good Janet, yet "don't know where they are". I'm guessing they did the four-hour countdown so they could force the fight where they have to decide who goes to the Bad Place, which (improvised!) could have occurred with or without Jason and Eleanor.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah this stood out when I rewatched the first episode. Also the part when Michael's says something about 4 good people living next to each other, and how that makes him happy. I'm not going to rewatch the rest of the season but I like how they've been dropping hints the whole time and I missed it. However, Im sure if you told someone that theres a surprise ending to the season I bet 90% of people would guess it.

Anyway, good show.

There is something to be said for a well done magic trick. Once we all know how the trick is going to be done, then it should be over, but the best magicians manage to redirect our attention every time. So you can either spend all your time saying that you called it, or express some admiration at a trick well done.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 26, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

This show has almost no fat. It's mind-boggling on my rewatches to see how nearly every line advances the plot, characters, or atmosphere. I had written off Kabletown for not wanting to try anything remotely unorthodox, but approving a high-concept, fully-serialized comedy that had Netflix written all over it is pretty daring. It's also the first example I can think of where someone honestly went out to carbon-copy one very specific style of storytelling (LOST), change the genre, format, ton, AND improve it in every single way. This could turn out to be one of the best shows ever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been rewatching and have to echo the many, many comments about how much it opens up and how satisfying it is

Ted Danson's delivery of "The problem....IS ME!" is incredible

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

inthesto posted:

My guess is that Shawn is in a superior position to Michael, but in another department, and thus not really his boss despite having a degree of authority.

But Michael goes to (I assume) Sean/Shawn to get permission to erase their memories. We don't see him ask, but it's implied, as he runs out of the room and it's implied he talks to Sean.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
But... we do see him ask. He asks and Shawn says ok but if it goes sideways again Michael is done.

Also, more evidence that the Medium Place is real--in the ep where Michael announces he's retiring, Michael says only Janet can operate the train to other Places, which I'm assuming is the truth, as Janet doesn't contradict him on that, so it doesn't seem to me like Michael or Shawn had any power where Janet took them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Going to the Medium Place was Janet's idea and she wasn't in on the plot.

It's entirely possible that Janet is in on the plot and is a double agent. In the first episode, he did give Eleanor and Chidi a soundbite of what was happening in the Bad Place at that moment, so sure she could have just been referencing the skin-flaying torture part, but it's not like she's unaware of what/where it is.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm outta here before you fuckers ruin this show for me.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I still reckon Chidi's in on it. Dude claimed to be a Senegali French speaking Nigerian and yet in his flashbacks dude clearly speaks Generic American English and he spent his entire life being indecisive and gutless - whereas all French speakers are haughty and rude. J'ACCUSE, WHICH YOU WOULDN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND, YA BIG FECKER YE.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

raditts posted:

It's entirely possible that Janet is in on the plot and is a double agent. In the first episode, he did give Eleanor and Chidi a soundbite of what was happening in the Bad Place at that moment, so sure she could have just been referencing the skin-flaying torture part, but it's not like she's unaware of what/where it is.

Or it's all implanted memories in the stolen robot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

"Again, not a girl." :v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I really like how the show has all these fancy CGI screens and other effects, but the way Janet pops in and out is just a "boop" and a cut to a different angle. And the inter-Janet-com is just talking into and out of wide-open mouths, as opposed to lip-synching the dialog or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like that they don't go overboard with special effects.

I actually think that crazy poo poo happening in the pilot was like, the weakest part.

• Locked thread