Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

anthonypants posted:

are people assuming that's a password or did someone actually verify that. because people butt-dial on twitter all the time

Usually that'll be in the form of predictive text nonsense though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

are people assuming that's a password or did someone actually verify that. because people butt-dial on twitter all the time
assumptions. i figured it was butt-dial when it first happened yesterday, but two days in a row at around the same time

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hunter2

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
uh ignore that last message

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
why, it only comes up as ******* for me

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hunter2!

e: https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/824678929214636033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shoulda waited a couple more days w disclosure to make it more embarrasing

but i guess twitter fame

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
a non-it person has had the built-in domain\administrator account credentials and used it to have that user logged on to a couple of workstations to pilot some new software that we're migrating to and i just found out about it. apparently my boss didn't think it was that big a deal, but we've had people from this company remote into these machines and do ~whatever~ and who knows what they've actually done. gonna bring this lil incident up to my boss's boss because this is insanely stupid

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
the NSA did nothing wrong spying on foreigns that's its job

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.zdnet.com/article/breach-site-leakedsource-raided-by-feds/

quote:

Breach site LeakedSource apparently raided by feds
The site obtained a massive hack of over 400 million AdultFriendFinder accounts last year.
Zack Whittaker
ByZack Whittaker for Zero Day | January 26, 2017 -- 18:13 GMT (10:13 PST) | Topic: Security

LeakedSource, a for-profit breach notification site that helped break the news of some of last year's largest data breaches, has apparently been raided by law enforcement.

News of the raid, which can't be confirmed at the time of writing, first broke on Thursday through a note posted on a vritual markets forum earlier in the day.

LeakedSource's website appears to have been pulled offline.

The note reads:

quote:

"Yeah you heard it here first. Sorry for all you kids who don't have all your own Databases. Leakedsource is down forever and won't be coming back. Owner raided early this morning. Wasn't arrested, but all SSD's got taken, and Leakedsource servers got subpoena'd and placed under federal investigation. If somehow he recovers from this and launches LS again, then I'll be wrong. But I am not wrong. Also, this is not a troll thread.

The location of LeakedSource members isn't known, nor which law enforcement agency was allegedly involved.

LeakedSource shot to prominence last year for providing reporters, myself included, access to some of the largest data breaches and hacks in living memory, including AdultFriendFinder, Russian internet giant Rambler.ru, and millions of accounts associated with Twitter.

But the service drew controversy and criticism for allowing users to subscribe to the site in order to get access to raw data, including passwords.

Critics said -- rightfully -- that this could make hacking of other sites with similar user credentials much easier.

LeakedSource was just one of many breach database sites founded in the mold of non-profit service, Have I Been Pwned, which is considered the gold standard in breach notification because founder Troy Hunt deliberately doesn't store passwords.

"Handling data of this nature is a sensitive business," Hunt said in a message.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

atomicthumbs posted:

i've run into garbage-tier craptops from major brands with celerons, windows 10, and 32gb emmc for storage

yes lady your computer is running slowly. yes i know you just bought it. no there is nothing we can do about it.

lucky them, they are immune to viruses

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this seems way more likely
https://twitter.com/InspectorFletch/status/824642305487302656

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

when the hell did twitter support text->tweet and why the gently caress are those accounts using it

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

when the hell did twitter support text->tweet and why the gently caress are those accounts using it

since dumb phones were a thing and because 60 year old guys and tech.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Why, exactly, do you think that the max tweet length is the same size as an SMS message?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

twitter originally was conceived as an sms-based service hence its limit on characters

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

twitter originally was conceived as an sms-based service hence its limit on characters

it's also why a tweet of "m afreak you stink real bad" generates a DM

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Why, exactly, do you think that the max tweet length is the same size as an SMS message?
i knew the length was based from sms limits but:

OSI bean dip posted:

i didn't realise they kept the gateways active after throwing poo poo at a wall

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

SMS is 160, tweets are 140. 15 characters for username, plus certain special "control" characters at the beginning of messages like for dms, etc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i didn't realise they kept the gateways active after throwing poo poo at a wall

why wouldn't they keep them up. they're paying for a shortcode ( 40404 ) after all

tumblr still lets you make posts by calling them at 1-866-584-6757 (it makes it an audio post) and that's way more complicated

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

new root ca: https://security.googleblog.com/2017/01/the-foundation-of-more-secure-web.html

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pixaal posted:

Ticket phone call email all came in at the same time.

Someone is quitting in style:
All printed items now show the company name as WE SUCK DICKS 8====D

The "all users" permissions in our ERP software for some reason includes the ability to edit the company name. My favorite part is logging is disabled since everything already logs a username next to it so it just doubles up on everything (but a few functions that don't). Last time it was enabled it crippled the old server. Maybe my request to test logging on the new hardware will be approved.

We have hundreds of custom permission groups with tons of overlap and most people are members of 50+. I'm going to have to audit every one of these next week now. Which is also something I said should be done and have never been given time to do!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

anthonypants posted:

SMS is 160, tweets are 140. 15 characters for username, plus certain special "control" characters at the beginning of messages like for dms, etc

This is implementation dependent SMS* supports 140 bytes. 160 chars is possible, but you have to encode as 7-bit chars to do so.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

huh. just today I looked in my spam folder and found a long forgotten sign-up confirmation e-mail from them. clicked the link and the site was down. I open the secfuck thread and welp

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/gcluley/status/824972776675082245

clueless

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
have there been any reports of malware taking advantage of av vulnerabilities?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

redleader posted:

does it matter?

https://www.zerodium.com/program.html

quote:

Others / Techniques

Any other innovative research or techniques related to:

- Mitigation Bypass (e.g. ASLR)
- Mobile Baseband RCE
- Tor De-anonymization
- AntiVirus RCE/LPE

people will pay for them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it may not be worth it to count on a specific av program unless youre going for a specific target

i mean, youre limiting your attack surface if there are zero-days in the OS the av runs on, and probably the top 5 browsers all have bigger marketshare than any given av product too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

it may not be worth it to count on a specific av program unless youre going for a specific target

i mean, youre limiting your attack surface if there are zero-days in the OS the av runs on, and probably the top 5 browsers all have bigger marketshare than any given av product too

You exploit the AV because you can? No one goes "oh I have an rce but not use it because it's not popular enough."

Besides AV vulns often give you system access because AV vendors are so bad

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My favorite one is where the researcher tried to send the poc to the AV company, but their own corporate AV email system just happily executed the poc and never delivered the email.

Edit it was Tavis of course:

quote:

Project Member Comment 1 by taviso@google.com, May 15 2016
I think Symantec's mail server guessed the password "infected" and crashed (this password is commonly used among antivirus vendors to exchange samples), because they asked if they had missed a report I sent.

They had missed the report, so I sent it again with a randomly generated password.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=820

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 27, 2017

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

redleader posted:

I've heard rumblings.

AV and security products make great targets because they're highly privileged low quality code. They're absolutely perfect targets if you're doing something targeted and want to be sneaky.

If I wanted to get on your network all sneaky like I'd go for security boxes you've got (firewalls, AV boxes, MitM boxes, etc) first.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

apseudonym posted:

I've heard rumblings.

AV and security products make great targets because they're highly privileged low quality code. They're absolutely perfect targets if you're doing something targeted and want to be sneaky.

If I wanted to get on your network all sneaky like I'd go for security boxes you've got (firewalls, AV boxes, MitM boxes, etc) first.

yea thats what i mean

since theres basically holes in everything all the time, its better ROI for blackhats to keep av holes secret & sell/use on specific targets to keep them low-key

idk i might just be thinking wrong

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nah, you're right

hijacking a browser or the iot poo poo is great and all, but there's a lot of things they can't do. obviously you don't bother attacking av when making your kickass anime botnet because the potential amount of targets is an order of magnitude smaller

but if you're going to do espionage, sabotage, that sort of poo poo, figuring out what av your target office uses (often just telneting to their mail server and sending to a bogus address will send you a reply with SCANNED BY OUR SUPERSCANNER 9000) and attacking that is probably one of the better courses of action, because 2 posts up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well put :)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I doubt AV RCEs are going to be a serious risk for home/personal computers. There's enough fragmentation in the market that you're not going to get consistent payload deployment like going after the OS/browser/plugin trifecta and releasing an exploit through spam or ad channels is going to get it picked up on by the vendors quickly and a hotfix is going to get thrown in to their update channel and distributed to virtually all the endpoints inside a day or two. That's a whole lot of effort developing the payload for an RCE only to immediately bring yourself under heavy scrutiny and have your ingress cut off and your payload wiped in the next definition push. Government and corps should definitely be concerned since it will be worth the attacker's effort and the limiting targeting means you're more likely to go completely unnoticed and keep a permanent presence on their network.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I need the ability for one person in my company to send PII outside the organization. Right now she encrypts an archive, sends as an email attachment, and calls the other person with the archive password. Other orgs send her encrypted attachments through an external exchange--are any of these not awful?

What service should we use? Bonus if it integrates with Office 365 / Outlook somehow for these people.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 27, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
it doesn't matter if it is fragmented: the problem with av isn't really that

the problem is that the methodology of preventing malware from executing worked great back in 1995 when at worst you could get infected by a floppy diskette

once the internet became a mainstream thing and e-mail proliferated, the idea of having someone going through each sample and coming up with a signature was over. it was manageable for a long time only because the internet had yet to become something we need but the writing on the wall was there with the iloveyou virus back in mid-2000

the av industry's solution to this problem is to just add more "value" and rebrand themselves as endpoint solutions. this has resulted in them adding holes to their garbage and demonstrates an overall sloppiness in their approach

av is dead because it's worthless; install windows 10 and use the av that it comes with or use a mac

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm not disagreeing that the overall effectiveness is minimal these days (though I'm agreeing with shaggar that its still shooting down lowhanging fruit that could have caused problems). I do question how much of a realistic risk is poses to a home user verses a business and think folks here need to rethink the risk profile. Some of the vendors do things beyond what defender does like tracking botnet and malicious ad channel domains and IPs and killing the connection regardless of content. If MS moved the smartscreen up in to defender or as another OS component then the 3rd party AV market has nothing left of value in to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hed posted:

I need the ability for one person in my company to send PII outside the organization. Right now she encrypts an archive, sends as an email attachment, and calls the other person with the archive password. Other orgs send her encrypted attachments through an external exchange--are any of these not awful?

What service should we use? Bonus if it integrates with Office 365 / Outlook somehow for these people.

send the PII via rfc1097 & go all manchurian candidate

• Locked thread