Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Kraps posted:

In the next exercise, you are going to stop breathing.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm almost caught up with Wolf-359 and it's real real good.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Mr E posted:

I'm almost caught up with Wolf-359 and it's real real good.

They announced next season is going to be the final one. I'm actually pretty ok with that, seems like we're moving towards a natural conclusion point.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

LordZoric posted:

They announced next season is going to be the final one. I'm actually pretty ok with that, seems like we're moving towards a natural conclusion point.

I'm fine with that too. No reason to continue for a ton of seasons, I'd rather have an end.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

LordZoric posted:

Agreed. If they kept with the sitcommy style of season one, it could maybe go indefinitely, but once the premise of "we're going to die unless we get the hell off this station" was established, then there was no natural way to keep it going. A lot of shows would just keep throwing obstacles at them for years, but that would get old fast, so I'm glad they're going to close the book on it.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Agreed. If they kept with the sitcommy style of season one, it could maybe go indefinitely, but once the premise of "we're going to die unless we get the hell off this station" was established, then there was no natural way to keep it going. A lot of shows would just keep throwing obstacles at them for years, but that would get old fast, so I'm glad they're going to close the book on it.

I was concerned that they might end up spinning their wheels with the story after Season 2 raised the stakes but it kept a good pace. Really excited to see how things wrap up. Equally excited to see what Gabriel Urbina and crew have in mind for another series after this.

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy

Amateur Sketch posted:

The writer must have done his research on the cages and whatnot, he described them pretty well.

I think this every time I listen to The Magnus Archives. Every statement sounds like they brought someone on to describe the nuances and details of that job. From the garbage man episode (which now has me triple bagging my cats litter just in case) to the slaughterhouse episode, they really manage to not only give enough background to establish the scene but it makes it feel that much more real. 1

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Oh my gosh an episode of Wolf 359 based on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, how can I love this show even more.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's amazing how consistently good the Magnus Archives is. Some episodes are stronger than others, but I can't think of any that were bad.

I have to wonder if a (large) contributing factor to that is the difference in mindset between Brits and Americans. The Rusty Quill guys have been consistent in saying they have a five-season arc for TMA, and it's obvious that knowing in advance where your end point is is a huge benefit for pacing and whatnot. Compare that to most any American-made horror podcast, where they seem to start with some fairly clear story goals, but as soon as they get a little bit of popularity, all that goes out the window as they try to milk it for everything they can (just how many Patreon campaigns do these people expect fans to back?). The Black Tapes and TANIS are probably the worst offenders, though Small Town Horror is going down this route, and Archive 81 is going...somewhere (this one may turn out to be good, of course, but the drastic shift in direction is worrisome).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My favorite are the people out the gate on day 1 with no previous content going "hey give us money on Pateron for special content and mini episodes"

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

It's amazing how consistently good the Magnus Archives is. Some episodes are stronger than others, but I can't think of any that were bad.

I have to wonder if a (large) contributing factor to that is the difference in mindset between Brits and Americans. The Rusty Quill guys have been consistent in saying they have a five-season arc for TMA, and it's obvious that knowing in advance where your end point is is a huge benefit for pacing and whatnot. Compare that to most any American-made horror podcast, where they seem to start with some fairly clear story goals, but as soon as they get a little bit of popularity, all that goes out the window as they try to milk it for everything they can (just how many Patreon campaigns do these people expect fans to back?). The Black Tapes and TANIS are probably the worst offenders, though Small Town Horror is going down this route, and Archive 81 is going...somewhere (this one may turn out to be good, of course, but the drastic shift in direction is worrisome).

I think thanks to serious competition by Netflix and Amazon, TV producers in the US are more open to seasons and series that are less than 26 episodes per season long, which British TV has been doing much longer. Hopefully this trickles down to drama podcasts, more than it already has.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Len posted:

My favorite are the people out the gate on day 1 with no previous content going "hey give us money on Pateron for special content and mini episodes"
You mean like the Box did? I'm still bitter about how terrible that was.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 26, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Terrible Opinions posted:

You mean like the Box did? I'm still bitter about who terrible that was.

Yeah. The beginning episodes were rough but listenable. But then she did a literal #blacklivesmatter in the middle of her paranormal story involving haunted stretch Armstrong dolls and I just kind of checked out.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Am I the only one who couldn't get into Magnus Archives? It just seems like some guy reading creepy pastas. I went through three episodes and at best there were a few creepy moments. I guess it goes somewhere eventually?

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 26, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Magnus Archives builds up really really well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just finished binging all of Ars Paradoxica, at least everything that's out so far. I'm... so-so on it. I find Sally to be an incredibly annoying character, both in how she's depicted and used as a fictional character and just from thinking about what it would be like to spend time with her. I also think that for the most part, they don't really use the historical setting all that well. Sally, a character whose entire personality can be summed up as "obsessed with 21st century pop culture to an extremely unhealthy level" doesn't really seem to care that she's in the 1940s. Sexism and racism and other issues are barely touched on. The few times they actually try to reference contemporary historical things, they make some very easy and glaring errors (which I would be more lenient about if, in their Time-Lapse podcast, they didn't bust Bill and Ted for doing the same thing).

The second season, however, is a big improvement (I gather I'm one of the few people to think so, though). They move away from Sally and they move from a general linear storytelling in a supposedly period setting to being more an anthology about various interesting ways time travel could be used for espionage. There were a lot of neat ideas (although again, after listening to Time-Lapse, they seem to have gotten a lot of inspiration from Primer and Timecrimes) and a lot of the one-off or occasional characters were a lot more fleshed out than the regular cast.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Magnus Archives builds up really really well.

Yeah it's really loving good and the writing quality is way above most creepypasta.

Plus Jonny manages to change tone and inflection based on who wrote the statement in really impressive fashion (and there may be an explanation for that within the lore of the show.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Listened to Mabel, I was pretty into it. I'm a little disappointed that the story did not really resolve as much as it did just... end. I was a little disheartened that there was going to be a season two, but they are going with a new distinct story, and not trying to do Black Tapes Bullshit with it.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Personally I want to see just how many times Richard Strand can order Alex out of his office, declaring he's done working with them, only to come back a few days later.

Tanis I can live without because I listened to all of Season 1 and almost burst out laughing at that really strained plot twist at the end.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Paul Zuvella posted:

Listened to Mabel, I was pretty into it. I'm a little disappointed that the story did not really resolve as much as it did just... end. I was a little disheartened that there was going to be a season two, but they are going with a new distinct story, and not trying to do Black Tapes Bullshit with it.

Wait they are ending that story there? It seems really incomplete.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah it's really loving good and the writing quality is way above most creepypasta.

Plus Jonny manages to change tone and inflection based on who wrote the statement in really impressive fashion (and there may be an explanation for that within the lore of the show.

Plus the different cases start to link up in different ways. I've been re-listening out of order to get a better idea of the Leitner Books plot and the Jane Prentiss plot, and they make more sense when concentrated than spread out with side stories in between.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Wait they are ending that story there? It seems really incomplete.

They released a teaser for the new season and it's an Irish woman reading letters, so maybe it's related but I doubt it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

LordZoric posted:

Personally I want to see just how many times Richard Strand can order Alex out of his office, declaring he's done working with them, only to come back a few days later.

Tanis I can live without because I listened to all of Season 1 and almost burst out laughing at that really strained plot twist at the end.

The next to last episode of Tanis season one ended with "person X and person Y are really the same person!" and I was confused because I couldn't remember who either of those people were. I think I eventually stopped listening when they hinted that Tanis did 9/11 and wrote the Voynich Manuscript.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Jurgan posted:

The next to last episode of Tanis season one ended with "person X and person Y are really the same person!"

*dramatic thud*

I have that problem with both TBT and Tanis, they keep having characters return who haven't been featured for lengthy amounts of time and I have no clue who they are.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ornamented Death posted:

The Black Tapes and TANIS are made by Canadians, though I don't dispute your thesis.

I also think that British entertainment is about having a goal and sticking to it. Other nationalities have perpetual ADD.

Paul Zuvella posted:

They released a teaser for the new season and it's an Irish woman reading letters, so maybe it's related but I doubt it.

Juniper and Lily were discussed at length in a few episodes of Mabel. Lily is the daughter who went missing. Juniper is the name scratched into Lily's closet. I don't think they're ending the story right where they did.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LordZoric posted:

*dramatic thud*

I have that problem with both TBT and Tanis, they keep having characters return who haven't been featured for lengthy amounts of time and I have no clue who they are.

I like that they've established a few times that Black Tapes and Tanis are at least officially in the same shared universe, which means that the main guy from Tanis is in a relationship with a different woman on each podcast.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I like that they've established a few times that Black Tapes and Tanis are at least officially in the same shared universe, which means that the main guy from Tanis is in a relationship with a different woman on each podcast.

Nick's quite the ladies man. Though I always wonder if they're supposed to be actually happening for real or are just stories in each other's universes. Like several times Alex has visited Nick and he says he's "working on the latest episode of Tanis." You'd think there'd be some crossover on the actual plots of the two, but you never know with Pacific Northwest Stories.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I think they said specifically that they weren't intending to cross them over - though it does seem like something that would be down Dr. Strand's alley. I still enjoy both shows, even if their narrative got a little strained. I'm really looking forward to season 3. I even bought a Tanis shirt because I liked the style but its a bit too short for me, which is a bummer. Oh well. :(

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Wolf359: hey remember that funny episode where the aliens copied Eiffel's voice? Let's make an episode like that again except this time it'll be horribly depressing!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Kraps posted:

Wolf359: hey remember that funny episode where the aliens copied Eiffel's voice? Let's make an episode like that again except this time it'll be horribly depressing!

Was once funny, but now horribly depressing/dramatic sums up Wolf359 pretty well. Not that that's a bad thing at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kraps posted:

It reminded me of this:

clickhole posted:

Barry Wilmore

“You never know true beauty until you see Earth from space, or true terror until you hear someone knocking on the space station door from outside. You look through the porthole and see an astronaut, but all your crew is inside and accounted for. You use the comm to ask who it is and he says he’s Ramirez returning from a repair mission, but Ramirez is sitting right next to you in the command module and he’s just as confused as you are. When you tell the guy this over the radio he starts banging on the door louder and harder, begging you to let him in, saying he’s the real Ramirez. Meanwhile, the Ramirez inside with you is pleading to keep the airlock shut. It really puts life on Earth into perspective.”

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
New episode of Mabel is out, continues where the story left off.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Kraps posted:

Wolf359: hey remember that funny episode where the aliens copied Eiffel's voice?

You mean the one where there was a massive explosion that left Eiffel lost in deep space? Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call that funny on the whole.

LordZoric posted:

Nick's quite the ladies man. Though I always wonder if they're supposed to be actually happening for real or are just stories in each other's universes. Like several times Alex has visited Nick and he says he's "working on the latest episode of Tanis." You'd think there'd be some crossover on the actual plots of the two, but you never know with Pacific Northwest Stories.

The only one he was confirmed being in a relationship with was Amalia, the Russian woman. There was one very funny (I think intentionally) bit where Nic was talking to some friend of his and it was like, "So, you and Veronica are doing it, right? Huh? How about Meerkatnip, she's gotta be hot? Come on, you're loving, right? You can tell me!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jurgan posted:

The only one he was confirmed being in a relationship with was Amalia, the Russian woman. There was one very funny (I think intentionally) bit where Nic was talking to some friend of his and it was like, "So, you and Veronica are doing it, right? Huh? How about Meerkatnip, she's gotta be hot? Come on, you're loving, right? You can tell me!"

One of the last episodes of the last season of Tanis, there's a pretty blatant indication that Nick and Meerkatnip meet up to bone at the end of the episode.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

One of the last episodes of the last season of Tanis, there's a pretty blatant indication that Nick and Meerkatnip meet up to bone at the end of the episode.

Cool, I quit around S2 ep 8.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Chairman Capone posted:

I gave up a long time ago but I find that funny because she always acted like she couldn't stand him.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Kraps posted:

Yeah I agree, Wolf 359 is amazing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

having a main character with the name "meerkatnip" was one of the things that made me hate Tanis because of how stupid it is.

Also now the main character fucks a human being he exclusivly refers to as "Meerkatnip" makes me wish Tanis never existed.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

having a main character with the name "meerkatnip" was one of the things that made me hate Tanis because of how stupid it is.

Also now the main character fucks a human being he exclusivly refers to as "Meerkatnip" makes me wish Tanis never existed.

I don't know, it seems totally plausible that someone would use that as an online handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The TV show "Orphan Black" has a similar hacker who uses "MK" as their handle. Wonder if one took from the other.

And yeah, I have no problem with Meerkatnip. Totally plausible internet handle.

• Locked thread