Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DiHK posted:

You didn't have the Red Cross truck roll through your hood with lovely cafeteria foodfor a little variety?

Anyway :hfive:

Nah, but I actually really liked the MREs and, because I was younger and repairing stuff all day every day, the calorie count didn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bewbies posted:

Non military but nautical question, I don't know where else to ask this.

I was in a wiki hole that led me to Titanic yesterday, which then led me to RMS Carpathia. I noticed that Titanic's displacement was over 6 times that of Carpathia, which struck me as very odd: it is a much larger ship obviously, but....that much larger? If you do a draft times beam times length as a (very) rough estimate of internal volume, Titanic is only about 2.5 times the size of Carpathia. They also had roughly the same passenger capacity. So, how was Titanic so much heavier than Carpathia?

Boilers and engines, mostly. Titanic had a huge machinery installation.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Skoal
Kodiak
Cope

You know, dip

You mean "chaw".

:clint:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Boilers and engines, mostly. Titanic had a huge machinery installation.

We certainly know the displacement wasn't spent on compartmentalization.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Much worse, it was spent on half-assed compartmentalization.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I have learned so many new words today.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

You mean "chaw".

:clint:

Nah. Chaw is actual chewing tobacco.

Dip you don't chew.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I read that Skoal Snus as Skoal Anus.

Isn't chewing/dip tobacco quite bad for you?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Carcer posted:

I read that Skoal Snus as Skoal Anus.

Yes, but nowhere near as bad for you as smoking is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carcer posted:

It's a fast track to cancer like most forms of tobacco consumption. Plus the spitting is gross.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a fast track to cancer like most forms of tobacco consumption.

Snus might cause a moderate increase in risk of pancreatic cancer but doesn't seem to increase lung or oral cancer rates at all. If you took every smoker on the planet and converted them to snus it'd be a public health miracle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...Pubmed_RVDocSum
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090728201734.htm

And I don't think you have to spit, so it's nowhere near as repulsive as dip.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Phanatic posted:

Snus might cause a moderate increase in risk of pancreatic cancer but doesn't seem to increase lung or oral cancer rates at all. If you took every smoker on the planet and converted them to snus it'd be a public health miracle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...Pubmed_RVDocSum
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090728201734.htm

And I don't think you have to spit, so it's nowhere near as repulsive as dip.

Snus is still horrid tasting so I find when I do it I still spit.

Edit: in case you were wondering I'm a habitual user so if I'm happy to be THE source on all the disgusting smokeless tobacco info you want.

Edit 2: Yes I want to quit real loving bad, but it is hard.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

*pointlessly telling you to quit like you haven't heard it millions of times*

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Crazycryodude posted:

*pointlessly telling you to quit like you haven't heard it millions of times*

I tell myself daily. It's cool.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd be more scared for my digestive system with Russian, Ukrainian, and Kazakhstani rations than MREs. Just tons of fatty meat waiting to clog your arteries. They especially love poo poo like tushonka and tourist's breakfast where the meat is packed in massive amounts of fat.

I get that potted meat uses fat to help preserve it, but these are modern cans. There's no reasonable explanation for why the food is still packed in it beyond Eastern Europe being a very sad place.

I think "poor countries having to feed large armies" is a pretty reasonable explanation unless that falls under "very sad place". I'm not entirely sure if the opposite situation, wealthy country that can hire nutritional scientists, makes a place "happy" though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eej posted:

I think "poor countries having to feed large armies" is a pretty reasonable explanation unless that falls under "very sad place". I'm not entirely sure if the opposite situation, wealthy country that can hire nutritional scientists, makes a place "happy" though.

There's definitely a lot of science that goes into MREs. The simplest explanation is "They're like canned food, just with flexible pouches instead of cans", but there's actually a ton of work put into figuring out the best nutritional balance for every ingredient and making sure that the food not only remains safe to eat for years, but also remains palatable (you can have food remain safe to eat but look and taste gross, like when Doritos go stale).

A lot of other countries make heavy use of commercial components, both domestically produced and imported. It was a laugh trying the British and Danish rations and seeing how both nations buy from OrifO for almost all of their goods, to the point of having some identical components.

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/war-and-pizza/

Pretty quick podcast on the American MREs and their history.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

I was in a wiki hole that led me to Titanic yesterday, which then led me to RMS Carpathia. I noticed that Titanic's displacement was over 6 times that of Carpathia, which struck me as very odd: it is a much larger ship obviously, but....that much larger? If you do a draft times beam times length as a (very) rough estimate of internal volume, Titanic is only about 2.5 times the size of Carpathia. They also had roughly the same passenger capacity. So, how was Titanic so much heavier than Carpathia?

I'd always assumed the Titanic was basically the most luxurious luxury liner of its day, with more ornate furnishings and whatnot so instead of having painted planking as the floor of the recreation room they'd have covered it in tile, or packed more/more complex equipment in the rec room. More carved wood, glass, wrought iron, etc all over adding up.

e: Some dick replaced my fish with Hindenburg and I'm going to loving leave it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 27, 2017

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

As already mentioned, it's mostly down to the machinery installation. Titanic had 29 boilers, two main engines (each of 15,000 horsepower) and an exhaust-steam turbine (16,000 horsepower), and a service speed of 21 knots. Carpathia, a smaller ship designed for 14 knots, had two boilers and two engines of around 1300 horsepower each. Each of the Titanic's boilers weighed about 100 tons when full of water and the bedplates for the engines alone weighed 150 tons each. The Titanic's hull contained 1200 tons of rivets. All this stuff scales exponentially so a ship that's 2.5x the size ends up displacing 6x the water.

As for the passenger capacity, they were designed for different purposes. Carpathia was designed for the Italian emigrant trade - a route that had almost no first/second class traffic. Of her 2,500 passengers over 2000 were in steerage accomodation. The density of the berths was high and there was no need to provide all the two dining rooms, the Palm Court cafe, the Parisian Cafe, the writing room, smoking room, lounge, gymnasium, squash court, Turkish bath etc. etc. that the Titanic had for its first class passengers, who also had more spacious cabins. Basically Titanic's passenger density was much lower. Not only was the White Star ship designed for a very different purpose but between the Carpathia being launched in 1902 and the Titanic setting off in 1912 the trans-Atlantic emigrant trade had contracted significantly from its peak, especially that from Britain/Ireland/Northern Europe. Steerage traffic was much less important to the WSL, which was one of the reasons why Titanic's steerage accomodation was so relatively sophisticated (superior to a lot of other ships' second class) - they were starting to cater more for tourist traffic and seasonal immigration rather than packing penniless peasants in as tight as possible for a one-off, one-way voyage.

MilHist Content: Titanic's older sistership, the Olympic, was requestioned as a troopship during WW1 - unlike the big Cunarders the Olympic-class weren't designed as auxiliary cruisers because they were built with American money rather than Admiralty subsidy, this being one of the reasons why they were slower but more luxurious than their red-funnel rivals - and was painted in a multi-coloured brown/blue/white 'dazzle' scheme. While transporting American soldiers to Europe she sighted a German submarine, the U-103 and tried to ram it. The U-Boat's pressure hull was split open by one of the liner's propeller blades. This was part of the Olympic's long and distinguished career of hitting other ships but the only intentional one.

PittTheElder posted:

Much worse, it was spent on half-assed compartmentalization.

If I may be pedantic (in a history thread!) the compartmentalisation was half-assed *for the incident the ship found herself in*. For any practical purpose she was, as described, 'virtually unsinkable'. She could float with any two compartments flooded, or the forward four. This is significantly better watertight subdivision that a lot of modern-day passenger ships. The collision with the 'berg opened a few seams in the fifth compartment - enough to make the sinking inevitable but no civilian ship before or since has ever been in a situation where it has needed to sustain that sort of damage. Even in the event the Titanic took over 2.5hrs to go down. You can have too much compartmentalisation: The Lusitania, with damage confined to two compartments and naval-grade watertight design, rolled over and sank in 18 minutes precisely because of the longitudinal watertight bulkhead keeping the flooding to one side of the ship. Yet another problem with designing liners that can play at being cruisers.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 27, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maimgara posted:

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/war-and-pizza/

Pretty quick podcast on the American MREs and their history.

Monthly reminder that I have a thread where I (and several other goons) eat military rations for fun and research. See Western Europe, Eastern Europe, all the obscure American ones you've never heard of like the Meal (Cold Weather), and more! The latest ration eaten is a Humanitarian Daily Ration, and I ain't gonna ask how the seller got one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

bewbies posted:

Going by the numbers on wikipedia, a brick shaped Carpathia would displace 36,100 MT to a box shaped Titanic's 81,600 MT. If we assume the Carpathia to have the same block coefficient, she would displace about 23,100 MT at full load, or a bit less than half Titanic's full displacement.

Long and short, someone put the wrong displacement on Wikipedia for the Carpathia, or it's the lightship (completely empty) displacement.

Remember that displacement is a function of immersed volume, so everything gets cubed at some point. Alternatively, if you took the Titanic and removed the engines, fancy wood and all that stuff, she'd stay the same size... she'd just float a lot higher in the water. If you have two ships of the same size and shape floating at the same draft in the water, physics say they have to weight the same amount.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

BalloonFish posted:

If I may be pedantic (in a history thread!) the compartmentalisation was half-assed *for the incident the ship found herself in*. For any practical purpose she was, as described, 'virtually unsinkable'. She could float with any two compartments flooded, or the forward four. This is significantly better watertight subdivision that a lot of modern-day passenger ships. The collision with the 'berg opened a few seams in the fifth compartment - enough to make the sinking inevitable but no civilian ship before or since has ever been in a situation where it has needed to sustain that sort of damage. Even in the event the Titanic took over 2.5hrs to go down. You can have too much compartmentalisation: The Lusitania, with damage confined to two compartments and naval-grade watertight design, rolled over and sank in 18 minutes precisely because of the longitudinal watertight bulkhead keeping the flooding to one side of the ship. Yet another problem with designing liners that can play at being cruisers.

I'm confused. If she could float with any two compartments flooded, then how does opening a few seams in the fifth compartment make the sinking inevitable? Isn't that only one compartment flooded? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EggsAisle posted:

I'm confused. If she could float with any two compartments flooded, then how does opening a few seams in the fifth compartment make the sinking inevitable? Isn't that only one compartment flooded? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something...

The four forwardmost compartments being flooded would have left the ship in a survivable state, but the fifth was opened up. This made the ship bow heavy enough that water could flow above the watertight bulkheads.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
More like water-loose compartments, really.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Ugh, how does the water flow over the bulkheads? Shouldn't there be water tights ceiling in the way or something?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BalloonFish posted:

Longitudinal bulkheads were a contentious thing in naval design precisely for that reason. They can be useful but they require counterflooding in many cases. I believe you can balance off vital hits with flooding to non-vital sections which has value but not failing deadly has a lot of value too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Krengel Diary Part 25

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11 Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15 Part 16 Part 17 Part 18 Part 19 Part 20 Part 21 Part 22 Part 23 Part 24

4 November: Finally I am totally fit for front line duty, or so the doctor tells me. All I can do now is just sit around and wait, go into the city, see friends and relatives, and go to the cinemas. I do have air raid patrol duty, however. We listen to the Fuhrer's speech on 8 November. I met Willi who has recently been promoted to Lt. Colonel. We celebrate on the evening of the 10th in a beer hall.

11 November: I'm in Zossen today for practice shooting; 36 rounds fired, 26 hits scored, 13 of them bull's eyes. Later I return to Berlin. Dad visits me. He's staying in the Magdeburg Hof Hotel. More air raids at night on Berlin. I will be taking Dad back to the railroad station on the 18th. On 22 November we have really heavy air raids on Berlin. I'm on alert all night; heavy damage. I catch an S train to Innsbruck Square in Berlin, and then have to walk through the burning streets. At 3 PM I reach Bellevue to see Mrs. Growitz' daughter. Mrs. Grotiz just sits in her burned out house - dazed. I took her to Lankowitz to her relatives. We expect another heavy raid tonight.

24 November: We have several more air raids. Karl-Heinz lost everything in the fire. I take my family to Lichterfelde. We have to walk because Anhalter Station is in ruins. I return to my barracks late.

25 November: We are detailed to help in the rescue and relocation of Berliners. I take the company Kubelwagen jeep and tell all my men to move out with the people's furniture to Pankow on the outskirts of Berlin. On the 26th we again have a heavy air raid on Berlin. I am ordered to B-Nikolasee. I found out in a letter from her that Erika has a baby but she will not marry the father. We're on clearing rubble duty at Lutzow square.

I request and get a leave pass to go by train to Eger to visit Erika. She looks well and the baby is wonderful. I am not really sure what I came for but I wanted to see her. On 3 December I say goodbye to Erika and get a train to Berlin. During the night, there is an unusually heavy air raid on Leipzig. I reach our barracks at 11 AM on 4 December. I am on duty in Berlin, assisting in clearing debris with my company until 20 December. On the 21st I get Christmas leave to Nuremberg. I'm home for Christmas for the first time since 1940 and we celebrate. I received many good books for my library. On the 25th I work in my library. Maria is visiting and we have an excellent dinner of goose and Knodel.

26 December: I have lunch at the Schmiedel's, without father who stays at home. He's not very well. We hear the radio news that our battleship Scharnhorst was sunk. I have been seeing operas and on the 29th I will return to Berlin. As soon as I arrive, w ehave another air raid. I'm 6 hours late. On the 30th, a new group is formed; I'm now Chief of Group 208.

31 December: We are celebrating the New Year in our barracks; much drinking and plenty of toasts to 1944. I finally get to bed at 2 AM.

3 January: I am training 15 new recruits on the PaK 75mm. We are also learning how to retreat in a bad situation. I managed to visit Willi in Wilmersdorf; twice he's been bombed out now. Traveled to Zossen for new training and was able to buy several books in Berlin on my return.

19 January: Not much has happened except that we went to Zossen to practice cannon firing. On 30 January there was a heavy air raid on Berlin. We were sent to Kaiser Alley to rescue people trapped under rubble. It looks like this will be our assignment for a while. I met a new lady friend named Lore on 8 February and by chance, I saw Monika in Wannsee the next day, but I am spending my free time with Lore. Nothing to report of importance, except air raids continue on Berlin.

15 February: Nothing of importance has happened lately. Today Karl-Heinz came to visit me in our quarters and we had a unit inspection, which went very well. On the 17th I visited our company's winter garden that we made and Lore came for a visit. I did have a minor accident on the 18th and almost broke my arm; had a tooth extraction on the bottom left on the 21st.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So that's his way of telling us he's Erika's baby-daddy right? Loving this look into civilian Germany as things start to go downhill.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I dunno, why would he be so opsec about it in his diary that he wrote for himself?

Still, very much a humanizing moment when he goes to visit her.

You know, between helping with the raid cleanup and tapping rear end

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

So that's his way of telling us he's Erika's baby-daddy right?
probably not--the child is healthy, so i doubt it's krengel's genes

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Krengel Diary Part 26

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11 Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15 Part 16 Part 17 Part 18 Part 19 Part 20 Part 21 Part 22 Part 23 Part 24 Part 25

24 February: We are training at a re-created Russian village with me in charge of 2nd Company.

25 February: We are still in training at the Russian village. Nothing of importance is happening, but Lore visits me often here.

4 March: During our training, the first full-scale daylight air raid on Berlin takes place.

6 March: There is a massive air raid on Berlin at noon, several fire bombs fall in our area. The Metro Train line to Wannsee is totally blocked.

Lore arrives on 10 March. She lost everything in the last air raid but she is otherwise well. On 16 March I received a message that Dieter Goeschen is KIA - my best friend for over 10 years.

17 March: Our new Battle Group commander arrived today and new recruits were sworn in to our Fuhrer. I visited with Lore's relatives (Frau Meissner).

19 March: Today is Wehrmacht Day. I have 14 days of leave coming so I take Lore on a short trip to Pomerania. The first few days I spend with Lore in Berlin, going to the opera and visiting relatives, but on the 30th, Lore has to leave. I board a train to Nurember and the train runs into a heavy air raid at Furth. I arrive home at 7 PM; all are well.

1-7 April: On leave in Nuremberg, nothing important happening, but my throat is swollen and I have a fever. I manage to get up and visit the local Wehrmacht Medical Officer, who orders me to the hospital. He suspects diphtheria and gives me injections of calcium. I have several bad nights.

9 April, Easter Sunday: I spent my Easter in the hospital but got to feeling much better by the 10th. My mother brought my belongings to the hospital as I have been transferred to Herzogenauchach Hospital. I stay there until June 14, then I am released for several weeks of convalescence treatment.

4 July: I returned to Berlin and met a new girl named Kathy B. I reported to my unit and got detailed to 1st Company as a "Not fit for Duty" person. I'm on light duty most of the time.

20 July: There was an attempt on our Fuhrer's life today. He is slightly injured. In Berlin, all government buildings are out of bounds today; otherwise, things are quiet.

30 July: We get a little more background news regarding the attempt on our Fuhrer's life. Reichsfuhrer Himmler has now been promoted to Commander of the Replacement Army and Guderian is now Chief of the General Staff.

6 August: Today I met Inge Strudthoff and have fallen in love with her.

21 August: I request to be transferred to a combat unit. On the 25th I get a short leave to attend the wedding of my brother and Maria in Nuremberg. The wedding is in the Moritz Chapel. The reception is at the Schmiedel's house.

27 August: The Schmiedels visit our house for dinner.

Today is the 5th anniversary of me being in the Wehrmacht.

I return to Berlin on the 28th and the next day I get transferred to a new front unit. Inge visits me in the evening.

2 September: Today I reported to 1st Lt. Noding regarding my transfer. He offered me a post as an instructor but I declined his offer. I have 2 days leave to sort out my future university matters. On the 6th my request for front line duty is denied, so now I'm in training with the Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck weapons. I get 2 days leave on the 23rd and go with Inge to the theater and help Karl-Heinz move his furniture into his new home in Lichterfeld. On the 25th I go to see the medic for bad stomach problem. On my own request, he discharges me on the 29th. I see Inge in the evenings.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GAIL posted:

probably not--the child is healthy, so i doubt it's krengel's genes

:master:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Ugh, how does the water flow over the bulkheads? Shouldn't there be water tights ceiling in the way or something?

I'll try and keep this brief because it's not really military history (although there is a Shipwrecks/Diving thread if anyone wants to take this further?):

If you're designing a ship for maximum survivability then yes, you make the watertight bulkheads meet a watertight deck so they can't overflow from one to the other. That's what warships do because part of their expected role is to take considerable damage. For a passenger liner safety features such as watertight compartmentalisation (and lifeboats!) were (and, within the limits of the law, still are) a balancing act between keeping the ship afloat if it's damaged, cost, practicality and passenger accomodation. You can't have a six-storey Grand Staircase if you have a watertight deck halfway up your ship. High-paying passengers don't want to be in a warren of ladders and companionways. And if you make a true watertight deck, how do the people inside those compartments get out?

Also, another one here loving the Krengel Diary. It's so disarmingly 'modern' and humdrum. Love the way you get snippets of info of the other big war events through a filter of distance, propoganda, hearsay and misunderstandings, too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Krengel: spends two months healthy, then gets hospitalzied for two an a half month.

Immediately taps some other girl upon exit, then falls in love with the third girl.

Krengel
Who's the Wehrmact CO
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
(Krengel!)
You're drat right
Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his brother arian?
(Krengel!)
Can ya dig it?
Who's the hanz that won't cop out
When there's danger all about
(Krengel!)
Right on
You see this fritz Krengel is a bad mother
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' about Krengel
(Then we can dig it)
He's a complicated man
But no one understands him
Not even the doctors
(Krengel!)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Krengel Diary Part 27

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11 Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15 Part 16 Part 17 Part 18 Part 19 Part 20 Part 21 Part 22 Part 23 Part 24 Part 25 Part 26

1 October: I went to see Karl-Heinz and Maria and ahd lunch with them. Inge and I are visiting Nikolasee. Lore telephoned but I only spoke briefly with her as she is helping build the East Wall fortifications. Inge returned home to Althagen on the 3rd. I find time to visit a dentist. I'm in charge of guard duty until 6 PM. I wrote a long letter to my parents.

8 October: Inge is in Berlin and we visit relatives, local restaurants and friends. My request for transfer to front line duty is being reconsidered, so I get a short leave pass and depart for Nuremberg on the 13th. Write letters to Inge. Willi visits with family. I get a nice letter from Inge on the 16th.

19 October: There is another heavy air raid on Nuremberg. I volunteer for rescue operations.

20 October: A telegram arrives with orders for me to report to my Commanding Officer immediately, so I leave home and return to Berlin, but was told nothing when I arrived. There are rumors that we are to form a new front unit. I met Inge a few times in Berlin. I get new uniforms on the 24th but so far, I have no orders.

26 October: I finally get some news. I have been transferred to the front, so I say goodbye to Inge and others and depart by train from Anhalter Station at 11 PM. On the 27th I am still on the train and pass through Halle, Bebra, and Fulda. I finally arrive at training PaK range Wildflecken on the 28th at 3 PM. My new commander is Major Geiser. I'm detailed to be the commander of a 7.5cm PaK Unit of Headquarters Company.

30 October: Today I received the arm band "Feldhernhalle", and got 8 days home leave. I choose to stay in Berlin with Inge and visit Karl-Heinz and Maria.

4 November: Today is probably the last time I will see Inge. On the 5th I go by train to Nuremberg, buy writing paper for our company and stay home until the 7th.

8 November: I depart Nuremberg and travel through Fulda and Schmalnau and arrive in Valwerda at 3 PM. Its only November the 8th but I start writing my Christmas letters to Inge. We have a memorial service on the 9th [anniversary of the November 9th, 1923 Beer Hall Putsch] and march to the Feldherrnhalle. Our training continues on AT guns and radio communications. On 13 November we get a new vehicle, a diesel Tatra SdKfz, 220 horsepower, 234/3 with a 75mm L/24 cannon.

You God damned goon, Krengel! :argh:

[There are no further entries in the diary until the following month.]

7 December: We are ordered to get ready to move out.

15 December: We arrive in Prague early and travel on to Uschtinietz. On the 16th we take quarters in private houses until our camp is ready.

18 December: We are in northern camp Milowitz in an Anti-Tank group. In the evening, the radio reports on the Ardennes battle.

23 December: We have our Christmas party with the Commander included. My Christmas mail brings a long letter from Inge with a photo. The rest of Christmas was the usual guard duty and Duty Officer's work. On the 31st we celebrated New Year's Eve.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Wow Krengel gets around. Thanks for translating!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Wow Krengel gets around. Thanks for translating!

I'm not translating anything :ssh: Whoever did bugs me with this whole Puma shindig.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I wonder if the diary is so hilariously blunt in german.
"Got out of hospital. Bought 200 eggs. Won iron cross. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

I wonder if the diary is so hilariously blunt in german.
"Got out of hospital. Bought 200 eggs. Won iron cross. "

As far as I understand it, acquiring writing paper could be a hard task at times according to a summary of an Italian war diary I'm trying to get my hands on. This is why some entries are short. Low on paper.

Also, nabbed a War Diary/Memoir collection of the Japanese in Indonesia. I've only read the first portion of it and its already got a decent amount of backstabbing, sacrifice, BANZAI!, and facts/counter-facts. Can't wait to read more!

"Masubuchi, who remained in Sumatra throughout the war as the 'benevolent father' of the comrades, shot himself at the time of the Japanese surrender, thus making himself a part of Sumatra forever."

:smith:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 27, 2017