Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Real hurthling! posted:

for honor looks bad but will sell 10 times as much as better game nioh

the combat is like you need to hit where the guy isn't guarding and vice versa

Im gonna buy for honor and nioh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bombadilillo posted:

On a scale from Mash A to Dark Souls, hows the combat?

Its like Dynasty Warriors with some Rock Paper Scissors on top. Not exactly Dark Souls but more action-based than most games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm reading something that says people in the for honor beta should have invites for 3 friends? If you guys wouldn't mind looking into that...

Yeah Nioh is way better but I'll play both of em.

If that's true and its easy, ill post codes in a few hours. I didnt see an option in the email.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i will get for honor on my standard ubisoft timescale of when it is less than 20 dollars and has proven itself to be not rear end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So never

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hey i got r6:S eventually

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Real hurthling! posted:

i will get for honor on my standard ubisoft timescale of when it is less than 20 dollars and has proven itself to be not rear end.

Waiting for For Honor forever.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I started the For Honor download before I went to work so hopefully its done by the time I get home

I hope it clicks with me

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I will buy Nioh for sure, maybe For Honor?

Bombadilillo posted:

On a scale from Mash A to Dark Souls, hows the combat?

Sort of in the middle. Basis of combat is that you have an up, left, and right stance and you make your attacks on those stances with either light or heavy attacks. There's also a fist attack that you can guard break and then throw people with, like I won my first duel in this game by elbowing a flippy ninja in the face then tossing her off a bridge. There's standard blocking, parries, dodges, dodge rolls, that sort of thing. Each hero has their own unique abilities too, like I only play the Knight guy so he has like a special bonus where his Up light attack comes out super fast and if his first light attack hits you can't block the second one, that kind of thing. It can get pretty cool figuring out combos when you're tied to a Stamina system, so like I can run at them when I'm not locked on, hit Heavy attack for a special move, lock on, light attack, hit square to do a charging shoulder attack, light again, then when they're reeling I can try for an up-close guard break and if it lands I can like bash them in the face and either smash them with a Heavy attack or try to throw them into a wall for a Tekken-like wall bounce and hit them on the rebound with something else. The game has a bunch of little tutorials you can play and more in-depth tutorial videos that explain more intricate combo mechanics and the like, but it's pretty fun! I dunno if it's $79.99 CAD fun but from what I've seen it's not a dumpster fire.

There's a whole "Feat" system going on too, like healing, buffs, rage mode, "killstreak" like attacks and the like but unfortunately they're not present in Duel modes and are apparently restricted to the 4v4 quasi-Domination/MOBA/Dynasty Warriors mode which I haven't gotten to try yet!

As an aside, this game has some really neat customization going on. You can modify your guy's helmet, chest piece, arms, and weapon with gear you "salvage" (either after a battle or from your standard in-game currency [which you earn by fighting and can probably buy in the full version] purchase menu) that modify your stats, can be upgraded, and it's even got a vanity system going on for your stuff so you can make your gear look like what you want without being forced to wear something you don't like. Your standard color schemes, a medieval equivalent to COD tag making with making your own Shield Crest, unlockable stuff, you know the sort of thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was going to ask about customization so that last paragraph has my attention. If the combat feels visceral enough I will give it a whirl! I mean, beyond the beta I just got into

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't play against humans in for Honor but against ai the fighting feels a lot better than the last beta.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just watched the intro video to the For Honor beta and this setup is exactly like something I doodled in a textbook in middle school.

Now what it needs is a mode where there's, like, one player with a Rainbow Six Siege loadout fighting against 24 of these guys

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I couldn't pause and restart the download so I put the system in rest mode and then started it up again. The download sped up but I'm sure the servers are getting rammed. I should've started the download before I left for work.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Of course there's an emergency update the minute I start playing. At least I got through the tutorial first. From five minutes with it, the combat does feel pretty meaty, not like a musou game, so it's got that going for it at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How do you all have invites and I don't :smith: I've been following For Honor since it was first announced.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zaphod42 posted:

How do you all have invites and I don't :smith: I've been following For Honor since it was first announced.

What's your Ubisoft Club name? I could try and figure out how this Friend Invite thing goes.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
For Honor is rad.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

What's your Ubisoft Club name? I could try and figure out how this Friend Invite thing goes.

If you figure it out post it. I'm not gonna struggle to figure it out. But I will give out codes if somebody does.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

If you figure it out post it. I'm not gonna struggle to figure it out. But I will give out codes if somebody does.

I'll gladly take a code if someone does and then you do. Really want to try this out to see if it's worth plunking down :60bux: on so close to the release of Nioh, which I know is worth my time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The story in Yakuza 0 is so drat engaging. It just hooks you nearly straight away.
So good! The writing is absolutely excellent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The story in Yakuza 0 is so drat engaging. It just hooks you nearly straight away.
So good! The writing is absolutely excellent.
Yeah, the only story problems I had with it relate to how it hooks into 1 (and they changed 1's to compensate in the remake). I guess it's always hard to make prequels hook up with older works perfectly.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Don't see option for codes. Sorry.

drat for honor is actually good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, the only story problems I had with it relate to how it hooks into 1 (and they changed 1's to compensate in the remake). I guess it's always hard to make prequels hook up with older works perfectly.

I haven't played 1 or 2 and only know the story through the catch up videos in 3.
I'm really looking forward to playing Kiwami as I hear they've really done a lot of work on the remaster.

6 looks amazing though, I think that's being ported before Kiwami?

I might wait until I play that before I play 6. There's been so many games in the last six months that I can reasonably see myself not having to buy any more games this year and I'll be happy. Someone else posted earlier about this being another golden age and I have to agree, my PS4 library has nearly doubled in the last few months.

e: ah it's Kiwami this summer and 6 in early 2018. Excellent!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The main problem I have with Kiwami (other than that 1's story is mostly the same and is kind of bloated) is the Majima everywhere system. You CAN have too much of a good thing. It makes his actual story appearances have less impact.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

For honor is good. I can tell its deep enough that anybody who wants to scratch the dark souls PvP itch is probably better served here.

I don't care for mobas but the main mode seems to be very along those lines. The 2 vs 2 seems to 99% who gets the first kill because 2 vs 1 is just impossible unless they are low health.

I like pve more then PvP so I think Nioh is where I will be spending my time. But this is very good for PvP.

Mostly I guess I'm surprised its not lovely. I don't know if I want to grind to get new characters. Cause all the missions for money are to play the game mode that doesnt loving work. Ill check back tomorrow and see if I can.

If you were interested in this game at all its worth a serious look.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For Honor will have a single player campaign I think

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For Honor will have a single player campaign I think

Its got the option to just play bots in every mode. So the campaign is probably a curated bot experience.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 27, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is RE7 really the 7 hours I keep hearing thrown around? I'm about 5 hours in and I have only hit one of the three major locations I heard about so that feels like a really low estimate. In general poop sockers seem to make games sound way shorter than they are when they start listing their playtimes.

How far through it am I if I just followed ma baker into the well and popped out by a gate shortcut to the RV?[ Kind of feels like I am at the half way point but who knows. I really dawdle in games like this though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It would be neat if it had an actual proper story campaign that set you up against increasingly difficult AI in the various game modes to the backdrop of a story. That way it would be its own standalone thing that also introduces you to the game's gameplay in a focused but more organic fashion. I'd be surprised if they bothered to put in that effort though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Genocyber posted:

It would be neat if it had an actual proper story campaign that set you up against increasingly difficult AI in the various game modes to the backdrop of a story. That way it would be its own standalone thing that also introduces you to the game's gameplay in a focused but more organic fashion. I'd be surprised if they bothered to put in that effort though.

From what I played so far. The AI is WAY harder then players. Everybodies probably getting their legs. But the AI murders me and I hold my own PvP.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I loved Yakuza 1 because of feels attached to the Japanese launch but I think Y2 is my favorite.

The loving Y1 US dub is something to experience. I hope a localized Kiwami with option for US VO comes out. That would be awesome.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

From what I played so far. The AI is WAY harder then players. Everybodies probably getting their legs. But the AI murders me and I hold my own PvP.

I have killed like, one enemy so far in straight-up fighting. Every other kill has been backstabbing someone who's already locked onto someone else

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For Honor is ok. You know when it will be best? At a reduced price for duels and 2 on 2.

I feel like a lot of times frustrating poo poo happens to you that you can't do much about.

Fast-characters just get you playing "do your best to react to which direction the attack is coming from then you get grabbed it thrown.

It has moments of potential. When it's fun, it feels like Dark Souls meets that old Jedi Knight duel mode.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have killed like, one enemy so far in straight-up fighting. Every other kill has been backstabbing someone who's already locked onto someone else

You can BACKSTAB

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
For Honor looks really cool, if anyone has a spare invite lying around im WandleCax on ubisoft club if that's how it works

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

After playing a bit of the beta I think For Honor 2 will be awesome.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Wandle Cax posted:

For Honor looks really cool, if anyone has a spare invite lying around im WandleCax on ubisoft club if that's how it works

Sent you a friend invite just now. Starts with J.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Adaptabullshit posted:

You happen to have any other spare invites? :allears:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Genocyber posted:

You happen to have any other spare invites? :allears:

Why, I do! Send a friend invite to Jakisnator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Adaptabullshit posted:

Thank you friend!