Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Scudworth posted:

She died of skin cancer when they were kids.

I think they were all in college/high school, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And after the funeral they went to Golden Corral.

They do have a stepmother, Carol, who is famous for stuffing them full of pasta in the legendary Spaghettageddon episode.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Episode 17 of The Adventure Zone, at about the 58:40 mark:

Griffin as Garfield the Deals Warlock is loving hilarious to me.

"I shall meet YOU in a test of wits as well, wits and wagers! ...if you so choose, but if you lose, your first child is MINE!"

"I will have your child!", he says.

"Are you TUFF ENUFF??", he says.

"WITS AND WAGERS!", he yells, apropos of nothing.

I can just imagine a shopkeep NPC with a bunch of preloaded dialogue lines just shouting them out with no player response whatsoever, and you can tell Griffin is cracking himself up too

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The Modern Leper posted:

:55 - a blink and you'll miss it shot of their mom. :smith:

Conrad_Birdie posted:

really sweet and awesome to honor her like that tho

Wow, who knew that the McElroy brothers were actually sons of the model in the Kodak Digital LAD Test Image
http://www.chicagofilmsociety.org/projects/leaderladies/dscn3303/

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

Wow, who knew that the McElroy brothers were actually sons of the model in the Kodak Digital LAD Test Image

:drat:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
New TAZ!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

ALFbrot posted:

We all were having a nice moment, Mr. Spoilsport :colbert:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Griffin put up some notes on The Suffering Game on the TAZ tumblr, which are a pretty good read if a) you're kinda down on The Suffering Game or b) you wanna see how Griff thinks about making things work, which is heck of interesting.

also the new TAZ dropped

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I'm listening to one of the latest Still Buffering episodes, and holy poo poo Teylor needs to get a new mic. It's pretty much

Sydnee: *says something*
Rilegh: *says something*
Teylor: *blown out sounds*
Rilegh: *says so *more blown out sounds from Teylor* mething*

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ElNarez posted:

Griffin put up some notes on The Suffering Game on the TAZ tumblr, which are a pretty good read if a) you're kinda down on The Suffering Game or b) you wanna see how Griff thinks about making things work, which is heck of interesting.

also the new TAZ dropped

Color me surprised that there's so many people who aren't enjoying this arc, because I love it to pieces. Maybe it's because of the type of player and DM that I am, because I really enjoy situations that put characters under duress and force them to make tough choices. It's a noticeable departure from the usual tone of the series, but honestly I don't think it's that far of a cry from the finale of Eleventh Hour.

Plus the rougher the story gets, the more involved Magnus seems to be, and that's frankly my favorite part.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The audience in Heartbreak was deffo inspired by this
https://youtu.be/GHhD4PD75zY

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Yeah this arc is great, I like the boys are finally under pressure for the first time

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Morpheus posted:

So I'm listening to one of the latest Still Buffering episodes, and holy poo poo Teylor needs to get a new mic. It's pretty much

Sydnee: *says something*
Rilegh: *says something*
Teylor: *blown out sounds*
Rilegh: *says so *more blown out sounds from Teylor* mething*

I think there was something wrong with that recording. Rileigh actually put up a short apology on the feed about it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
New Car Boys is up!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Interesting how Merle is always very vocal about being mean and swarthy, but when he does a good, kind thing, he clams up. It's almost like he wants to be seen in a negative light. Maybe he just doesn't want to get people's hopes up about him.

This was a fantastic episode, great character moments, very funny, cool fights, and what an ending!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got a call from my apartment complex today saying my application was approved, and as soon as the call ended, I mentally thought "Who's a good good credit boy?"

I don't think any media empire has affected my vocabulary as much as this aside from Homestar Runner.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

kmzh posted:

I think there was something wrong with that recording. Rileigh actually put up a short apology on the feed about it.

Oh hey, so she did! Well that's good of her then.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think it's a fun arc but it definitely stumbled due to the long breaks between chapters but the groundwork of My Cousin, My Cousin and Me had to be laid

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

My Cousin, My Cousin and Me had to be laid

Ewww.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Nick has really upped his editing game this time

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I got a call from my apartment complex today saying my application was approved, and as soon as the call ended, I mentally thought "Who's a good good credit boy?"

I don't think any media empire has affected my vocabulary as much as this aside from Homestar Runner.

Good good is even more infectious than jorb at this point.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
And to think it was just a throwaway bit for snacks on planes

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

ALFbrot posted:

hahaha i'm a doofus. I thought she looked like griffin in the still image, too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Good good is even more infectious than jorb at this point.

JEEEERAAAAAB

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
"I CAN'T WAIT TO CAST 'AXE'!"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

inthesto posted:

Color me surprised that there's so many people who aren't enjoying this arc, because I love it to pieces. Maybe it's because of the type of player and DM that I am, because I really enjoy situations that put characters under duress and force them to make tough choices. It's a noticeable departure from the usual tone of the series, but honestly I don't think it's that far of a cry from the finale of Eleventh Hour.

Plus the rougher the story gets, the more involved Magnus seems to be, and that's frankly my favorite part.

I've never played Dungeons and Dragons. I don't hate the arc, but it's just a little too rote for me. The constant cycle of fight-sacrifice-fight-sacrifice prevents the cast from exerting much agency and Griffin's reminders about the "black clouds of smoke" seem to put a damper on the cast's jokes for fear that they could accidentally feed the liches. Conceptually, it makes sense to introduce a real, permanent threat as the penultimate peril but it gives the arc an oppressive atmosphere. As much as I enjoy Griffin's storytelling, I started listening to this podcast for the goofs and it's tendency to veer off into strange territory. Neither of those things are really the focus of this session. I don't know what this says about me, but my approach to the arc after the first round of sacrifices would have been to say, "screw this" and keep accepting penalties ad infinitum. That's not because I would want to game the narrative/radio show format, but because I really detest the antagonists and how little control the cast seems to have.

I haven't read any fan theories (or this thread really), but my expectation would be for the story to veer into Portal territory wherein the cast escapes to the space between the rooms. If that's the case, it will be a relief. I'm ready for them to wreck some poo poo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Griffin seems to be worried that listeners find the arc too cruel, but that hasn't been my issue with it-- the intensely high stakes are fine by me.

I think the issue is more that it's a very claustrophobic, on-rails arc, designed around repetitive attrition. And while I just said I like the stakes of the sacrifices, what I don't like quite as much is how detached they are from organic context. The one that had the most impact was the machine falling on Taako's head, because it was an actual thing that happened to him.

Hopefully the next episode delivers on changing the game-- really, the main reason to set up a rigid structure like this is the catharsis of smashing it up.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

When Griffin was first describing Taako's price of becoming ugly I was pretty amused, because Taako could totally work something like a beer gut or some wrinkles or receding hairline through sheer charm and confidence, but when he refined it to "for the first time in your life you will look normal," man, that felt bad to imagine. Looking exotically ugly would've been a smaller price to pay than a doomed life of mundanity.

:smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I was really worried while Taako considered his sacrifice on behalf of all the fan artists who draw Taako super hot.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Empress Theonora posted:

I was really worried while Taako considered his sacrifice on behalf of all the fan artists who draw Taako super hot.

I found it hilarious for the same reason.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Empress Theonora posted:

But in normal amazing Taako form he turns it around by immediately casting Illusion magic to look the way he did before. That's such a Taako thing to have to do and I hope he tries to have it in effect at all times. It went from being a bummer for his character to adding depth and making him more interesting.

Also, one quick mini-prediction: I think Griffin is silently keeping a tally of all the black Negativity Fog that THB spew, and the more they rack up, the harder the final boss of this arc will be. Or something like that.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
griffy ain't keeping track of spell slots, i'm not sure he's keeping track of their suffering emissions either.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Honestly, the one I thought where Griffin would be a motherfucker was when he asked Merle to give up his memories of his arch-nemesis. From a meta-game standpoint, that's an easy yes because it doesn't really affect anything and the guy isn't going to show up in the campaign (probably), but it still hurt to hear. I probably would have actually yelled "Griffin, you motherfucker" if he had chosen the memories of Julia instead.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In a last minute move Griffin makes them all chubby ethnic Steven Universe characters and the crowd goes fuckin wild

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really super into the arc for a lot of the same reasons as other people. It feels really on the rails, and with the sacrifices just being things that happen in an instant instead of part of the story they don't really carry that much impact. Merle lost an arm and it became a big part of his character because of how it happened. I couldn't actually tell you all the sacrifices they've made because they're chosen at random and then don't really ever come up again.

Also part of the reason is I am incredibly invested in the metastory at this point. Magnus' prison sneaking mission right at the beginning was the best part of the arc and now there's just this guy with them that has more of that but he's not really doing anything. I'm just completely over the structure of this place and every moment I want them to say gently caress it and burn it all down. I'm sure it will be great when it gets to that point, but this is now the third challenge where they haven't and it's getting pretty boring.

Also as an aside I know it's really who cares cause it works for the story, but how can the twins scan their memories of things and not just see static? There should be nothing to populate this room. And I know it's come up before with other spells but this is the first time I've noticed, Taako can't cast Hunger of Hadar. It's a warlock only spell. I know this because I'm playing a campaign as a warlock who is pretending to be a wizard because of prejudice against warlocks in this world and I have to be careful who I cast this spell around because they might know. It really, really doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things because it's a very cool spell, but it was one I noticed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

I've never played Dungeons and Dragons. I don't hate the arc, but it's just a little too rote for me. The constant cycle of fight-sacrifice-fight-sacrifice prevents the cast from exerting much agency and Griffin's reminders about the "black clouds of smoke" seem to put a damper on the cast's jokes for fear that they could accidentally feed the liches. Conceptually, it makes sense to introduce a real, permanent threat as the penultimate peril but it gives the arc an oppressive atmosphere. As much as I enjoy Griffin's storytelling, I started listening to this podcast for the goofs and it's tendency to veer off into strange territory. Neither of those things are really the focus of this session. I don't know what this says about me, but my approach to the arc after the first round of sacrifices would have been to say, "screw this" and keep accepting penalties ad infinitum. That's not because I would want to game the narrative/radio show format, but because I really detest the antagonists and how little control the cast seems to have.

I haven't read any fan theories (or this thread really), but my expectation would be for the story to veer into Portal territory wherein the cast escapes to the space between the rooms. If that's the case, it will be a relief. I'm ready for them to wreck some poo poo.

This podcast is very much an improv exercise with the four participants. (as any DnD game ought to be) Good improv, as I understand it, happens when your fellow actors have a "yes, and" mentality, taking what you give them and rolling with it. What you're suggesting is the opposite, kind a "no, but" mentality. If you don't like the way the story is going , you can talk with your DM about it, but don't just have your character sit down and refuse to play the game until your DM makes up something else.

Asiina posted:

Also as an aside I know it's really who cares cause it works for the story, but how can the twins scan their memories of things and not just see static?

They're dead. Remember how Noelle could hear the staticed out stuff just fine?

Asiina posted:

And I know it's come up before with other spells but this is the first time I've noticed, Taako can't cast Hunger of Hadar. It's a warlock only spell. I know this because I'm playing a campaign as a warlock who is pretending to be a wizard because of prejudice against warlocks in this world and I have to be careful who I cast this spell around because they might know. It really, really doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things because it's a very cool spell, but it was one I noticed.

I had a feeling about that. Is the player's handbook super unclear about which spell goes to which class or something? I understand that concessions have to be made for podcasting (no spell prep was a good choice) but this seems like a fair place to draw the line. If Magnus can't cast a crazy Warlock spell, Taako shouldn't be able to cast a crazy Warlock spell.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think they just have a stack of cards they flip through, and arent really looking at the handbook. But then again Clint's tried to cast wizard spells too so who knows.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The 5e spell organization system is abysmal, but that should still be clear. If they're using the spell cards, which I think they've referenced previously, it should be even more apparent.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ariong posted:

This podcast is very much an improv exercise with the four participants. (as any DnD game ought to be) Good improv, as I understand it, happens when your fellow actors have a "yes, and" mentality, taking what you give them and rolling with it. What you're suggesting is the opposite, kind a "no, but" mentality. If you don't like the way the story is going , you can talk with your DM about it, but don't just have your character sit down and refuse to play the game until your DM makes up something else

That's fair and I apologize for the apparent display of bad gamemanship. I think I am just getting frustrated with how little progress the characters seem to have made and am ready for, as Asiina said, " to [have them] say gently caress it and burn it all down." Kind of doubt I would ever play Dungeons and Dragons, but I'll keep your advice in mind if the opportunity ever arises.

The McElroy Family seems cool and I wish I had discovered this podcast empire a little sooner than I did.

thebardyspoon posted:

For me the only issue with this arc is that there's no fun NPCs for them to bounce off or have conversations with, like Angus, Hurley, the BoB crew or the people in the town in the last arc. Those are the most memorable bits of the previous arcs to me, less so the fights and the "story" stuff.

I feel this too. I really miss the different NPCs and the liches have been really one-note thus far.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For me the only issue with this arc is that there's no fun NPCs for them to bounce off or have conversations with, like Angus, Hurley, the BoB crew or the people in the town in the last arc. Those are the most memorable bits of the previous arcs to me, less so the fights and the "story" stuff.