Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Nov. 24, 1994)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Some Guy TT posted:

You know, this is the same functional "joke" that Gilchrist uses all the time, yet these cameos never really bother me so much in Heathcliff. Maybe it's because they're not as obtrusive, or maybe it' just feels less out of place in Heathcliff's surreal environment.

Also helps that it isn't meta in telling you how clever the joke and artist is or crammed with more than one other IP drowning your eyes in references.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Also helps that it isn't meta in telling you how clever the joke and artist is or crammed with more than one other IP drowning your eyes in references.

Also helps not filling the panel with massive heaving breasts and beach boys lyrics.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

$(".item-comic-link-disabled").removeClass("item-comic-link-disabled");

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 26, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing about when Gilchrist puts old comic characters in his strip is that it's just nostalgia bait. All he's doing is saying "hey, remember this?" and that's it. It's just lovely "reference humor" in that the :airquote:joke is just the reference and that's it.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga probably could have thought things through a little more

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

This whole arc keeps making me flashback to how the weekend story started off with the Phantom casually shooting the poo poo in full costume with some random geezer who ran a gas station or something like that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

The mover guy is literally just Skip with a combover and a mustache.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because Riddick is awful. But not Gilchrist, Brooke, or Tinkersons awful.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

I love this comic

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that's an unusual turn for Retail.

Has Scott turned the corner? PHB is doing Trump stuff and PHB is a stand-in for idiocy.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Christ this comic is bad. The people in it are all terrible, the art is unforgivably bland where even Reply All is at least unique, and the dialogue is awful.

Is he saying, "[oh] boy" or calling his son "boy"?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Phimosissy posted:

Has Scott turned the corner? PHB is doing Trump stuff and PHB is a stand-in for idiocy.

My guess is that it's going to be a parable about how getting upset over tweets is ridiculous.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing about when Gilchrist puts old comic characters in his strip is that it's just nostalgia bait. All he's doing is saying "hey, remember this?" and that's it. It's just lovely "reference humor" in that the :airquote:joke is just the reference and that's it.

Like the entire book Ready Player One, except with 1980s nostalgia.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg™

Dustin

Mandrake

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cummins? More like Cumm Inside With Autistic Regularity

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting article that takes a deep dive into the personality of Marcie from Peanuts, with some cool strips. Bonus: no "Patty and Marcie are really lesbians, right, hurr hurr?"

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Indolent Bastard posted:

$(".item-comic-link-disabled").removeClass("item-comic-link-disabled");

Holy poo poo

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, a lot of the time it's Muppet Babies. And that's when he's saying, "Hey, remember when I worked on Muppet Babies? I worked on Muppet Babies. I was basically Jim Henson's protege. I was the foundation of the childhoods of all children of the 80's. Because of Muppet Babies. That I worked on."

Luann

If Slylock Fox were here, he'd never let her get away with that visibly steaming cup of coffee. :colbert:

The Amazing Spider-Man

So in the Newspaper Spider-Man Universe, any idiocy is possible, sure. But does anybody know what the protocol is for Random Alien Found in the regular Marvel Universe? The need for caution is understandable, yes, but is it really just "Throw him into Space Man Jail and maybe/maybe not dissect him and hope we don't get crawled by the rest of the people from his planet that we have undoubtedly now pissed off"?

More importantly, that raccoon is crossing his little legs!! :neckbeard:

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

If Slylock Fox were here, he'd never let her get away with that visibly steaming cup of coffee. :colbert:
Racist Slylock would blame it on some innocent raccoon, actually.

quote:

The Amazing Spider-Man

So in the Newspaper Spider-Man Universe, any idiocy is possible, sure. But does anybody know what the protocol is for Random Alien Found in the regular Marvel Universe? The need for caution is understandable, yes, but is it really just "Throw him into Space Man Jail and maybe/maybe not dissect him and hope we don't get crawled by the rest of the people from his planet that we have undoubtedly now pissed off"?

More importantly, that raccoon is crossing his little legs!! :neckbeard:
Extraterrestrials are regulated, policed, and punished by SWORD. If Rocket (being a pretty well-known member of an important space team) had proper clearance to be there, there'd be no problem at all.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Reed Richards could turn him into a cow.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (November 18-20, 1929)

Peanuts (January 29, 1970)

Funky Misplaced-apostrophebean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 9-10, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1930)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

painynumbs posted:

massive heaving breasts

Mods?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Inspector Danger would have shot Tiffany.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Selachian posted:

Matching tattoos.
You are a wizard.

Now I'm rooting for Iris getting a tramp stamp.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

You are a wizard.

Now I'm rooting for Iris getting a tramp stamp.

They should combine their interests and get matching Casablanca tattoos.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

THREE DAYS OF BALLARD STREET, FEATURING:

Interior decorating!

Fun times with commas! Depending on your reading this can either be saying that the hamster is named Larry, or that there is someone called Larry involved in this.

And a man who is ready to fish at a moment's notice.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Even with the drop in art quality, I still love Modest Blaise. The last panel of the last strip is great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Endless Mike posted:

Extraterrestrials are regulated, policed, and punished by SWORD. If Rocket (being a pretty well-known member of an important space team) had proper clearance to be there, there'd be no problem at all.

Except SWORD was replaced by Alpha Flight. Yes, that Alpha Flight. No, I don't know why.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (January, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1916)

The Gay Thirties (May, 1935, click for big))

Nice rear end.

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (September, 1940)

Tweedy (September, 1955, click for big)

Archie (September, 1955, click for big)

Jaf (1970)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (March, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2009, click for big)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

goatface posted:

Reed Richards could turn him into a cow.
That works out fine until people start drinking his milk.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set has a natural beauty.

Working Daze is a joke.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is just a simple misunderstanding.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Whoops, think I forgot to post my comics this morning.

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo explains how it is that this precocious little poo poo has any friends to begin with.

Big Nate is doing this still.

Wizard of Id actually makes a pretty funny "cartoon swearing" gag!

Curtis jesus christ Curtis why do you even go out of your way to talk to this girl do you actually like her you talk about how lovely she is all the time what the hell

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vargo posted:

Curtis jesus christ Curtis why do you even go out of your way to talk to this girl do you actually like her you talk about how lovely she is all the time what the hell

People making kid's media has always been convinced the tsundere-pigtail pulling-cooties act is perfectly healthy and romantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Six (October 27-30, 1955)

• Locked thread