Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Antti posted:

Advent can flashbang you in LW2? Pavonis have finally gone too far.

I am not joking.

Advent can do pretty much everything you can do. There are very clear parallels between trooper types and XCOM classes.

Then they get Codexes, Gatekeepers, mutons, Chrysalids...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Coolguye posted:

the strategic game, imo, is actually strictly inferior to vanilla because it gets in your loving way constantly and has a lot of kludge that just isn't needed nor fun.

I honestly disagree with you on this point. I really don't find it to be too much of a chore in LW2 and thought that the vanilla strategic game was not difficult at all, but extremely unsatisfying with the number and type of interruptions to your progress. By contrast, in LW2 it seems to me that the interruptions, while more numerous objectively, are subjectively more meaningful to your overall progression. Although I do have to add the caveat that I've only played LW2 for like 5 days. Well, I've played like 40 hours on those 5 days, but this is a REALLY LONG game with LW2, and vanilla would have had me finish the game well within those 40 hours.

It's also possible that I am getting decent RNG on my strategic game. I can't rule that out.

But holy crap did I get my rear end kicked last night. I think I was thinking a bit too much with the organization of squad setups. It's nice to have 4 squads set up, but realistically I can only feel confident with two concurrent infiltrations with my A and B squad respectively. Last night I was saving my A squad for a difficult upcoming story mission and tried to run my B and C squads. . . big mistake. Lesson learned.

Well I had too many units in my barracks anyway. :xcom:

Also for me the 'under Avenger' bug results in a savefile where my units from the completed mission retain the experience and promotions from the mission when I reload, but I have to play the mission again. Like Groundhog Day. Loading up an autosave from within the last battle doesn't help.

The 'bug' where I couldn't rescue a VIP because I couldn't hack open a vehicle door may actually have been caused because my unit's weapon had no ammunition, which is supposedly a Firaxis bug. I'd never experienced that prior to LW2, but it's a thing, I guess.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 26, 2017

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but do squads have any tactical benefit?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I'm pretty sure they don't, they're just an easy way to remember which officers tend to go with which troops, since troops get a bonus for attending missions with the same officer as usual.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Antti posted:

Advent can flashbang you in LW2? Pavonis have finally gone too far.

I am not joking.

No, they can loving use grenade launcher flashbangs. AKA: Worse than just flashbangs.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Darkrenown posted:

All of XCOM are Faceless, just none of them realise that everyone else is. The entire rebellion is aliens trying to set up the remaining human forces for a fall, not knowing there are literally no humans still fighting :wow:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Dongicus posted:

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but do squads have any tactical benefit?

I think it may be that it's just an easy way to keep units together to maximize the esprit de corps benefit for serving under the same officer. Otherwise I can't see any tactical benefit.

efb

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dongicus posted:

Officers confer stacking willpower bonuses to people every time they on a mission together, so if you build a squad around an officer you will maximize the morale buff.

Edit: This buff only works with the officer in question, so if your guy has been on 5 missions with officer #1 and 2 missions with officer #2 then these won't stack together.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 26, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Having played a bit of LW2 I think I might have to upgrade the difficulty (from regular to classic) unless it ramps up in-game. I'm not that far yet, it really is a long war, but after having fumbled a bit in the beginning and gone into some real suicide missions due to not understanding infilitration I've now realized that I have a very large degree of control over encounters in terms of enemy strength and when and where to pull out. Couple that with aggressive use of flashbangs and area suppression to essentially lock down enemy groups, as well as indiscriminate use of explosives in most missions (since I often can't get the corpses anyway), it's all kind of suspiciously easy.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Randarkman posted:

Having played a bit of LW2 I think I might have to upgrade the difficulty (from regular to classic) unless it ramps up in-game. I'm not that far yet, it really is a long war, but after having fumbled a bit in the beginning and gone into some real suicide missions due to not understanding infilitration I've now realized that I have a very large degree of control over encounters in terms of enemy strength and when and where to pull out. Couple that with aggressive use of flashbangs and area suppression to essentially lock down enemy groups, as well as indiscriminate use of explosives in most missions (since I often can't get the corpses anyway), it's all kind of suspiciously easy.

Have you completed the 3 liberation missions for a region, network tower, and advent hq? That's when it gets real.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

Have you completed the 3 liberation missions for a region, network tower, and advent hq? That's when it gets real.

No, I haven't really done much more than guerilla ops, retaliation misisons, finding the spy, supply raids and that kind of stuff. But, if you say that difficulty ramps up, then I'll believe you, because I was suspecting something like that which is why I was kind of apprehensive about just starting a new game on classic.

e: Overall though I feel like LW2 is more forgiving than the original, I've certainly had far fewer "gently caress, you, have another pod of thin men"-moments in this one than I ever had playing LW for Enemy Unknown. And I'd chalk that up to what really seems to me to be increased control over encounters in terms of equipment, abilities and the infilitration mechanics as well as possibly how the the patrol AI of the aliens works.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 26, 2017

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Randarkman posted:

e: Overall though I feel like LW2 is more forgiving than the original, I've certainly had far fewer "gently caress, you, have another pod of thin men"-moments in this one than I ever had playing LW for Enemy Unknown. And I'd chalk that up to what really seems to me to be increased control over encounters in terms of equipment, abilities and the infilitration mechanics as well as possibly how the the patrol AI of the aliens works.

That's weird because I'm finding LW2 to be way heavier on the "gently caress you" moments on iron man/commander than LW1 was. My biggest complaints are:

-one turn after breaking stealth it seems like most of the other pods on the map barrel into me from every direction without being directly alerted

-countdown timer and the sheer number of pods means that losing concealment early on a mission has gone from "extra challenge" to "instantly scrub the mission"

-holy poo poo the rate at which high percentage shots graze or do minimal damage is making me crazier than full on misses somehow

I've had some fun moments overall and it's still satisfying to pull off unlikely missions against tough odds, but more often than not it just feels like there are a few too many layers of dice rolls weighted against me. It goes from challenging to just grindy and unenjoyable, and this is coming from someone who really liked LW1 and played through it at least a few times.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
As soon as you get the ability to buy exosuits do so, cause shredders will instantly make half of a pod trivial. You'll probably lose drops, but gently caress it, you won't lose dudes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you're used to solving all your problems with grenades you'll already be accustomed to seeing that "loot destroyed!" message.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I have a Sharpshooter with Serial who has Cool Under Pressure and Rapid Reaction from AWC perks. Basically the god sniper.

And Shredder & 'Lethal' (+2 Damage) :q:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 27, 2017

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Lunethex posted:

I have a Sharpshooter with Serial, Cool Under Pressure and Rapid Reaction from AWC perks. Basically the god sniper.

Aim is really nice for Sharpshooters as well. It's basically a free advanced stock that doesn't use an upgrade slot.

Do people usually spread out their AWC perks or try to train a few super soldiers?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I know it probably goes against their grand vision but I turned on the option in the ini that lets me see the AWC skills below the first ones without training them, I'll definitely train a super soldier if they have some incredible perks waiting for them.

I just realized Kill Zone can be an AWC Perk in place of all the overwatch buffs, I wish she had gotten that now :(

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 27, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Unrelated! If anyone has XCOM 2 on PS4, jump into a quick match on multiplayer so we can both get the stupid trophy and then never touch it again. My squad's five stun lancers and an Andromedon, stars of the hilarious new ADVENT sitcom.

e: took me a half hour but i did it.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 27, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

YoungSexualNorton posted:

That's weird because I'm finding LW2 to be way heavier on the "gently caress you" moments on iron man/commander than LW1 was. My biggest complaints are:

-one turn after breaking stealth it seems like most of the other pods on the map barrel into me from every direction without being directly alerted

-countdown timer and the sheer number of pods means that losing concealment early on a mission has gone from "extra challenge" to "instantly scrub the mission"

-holy poo poo the rate at which high percentage shots graze or do minimal damage is making me crazier than full on misses somehow

I've had some fun moments overall and it's still satisfying to pull off unlikely missions against tough odds, but more often than not it just feels like there are a few too many layers of dice rolls weighted against me. It goes from challenging to just grindy and unenjoyable, and this is coming from someone who really liked LW1 and played through it at least a few times.

Well, I find that you have many more options for crowd control in LW2 than in LW1, which makes controlling the flow of an engagement easier and the way extraction works you can usually get out of a situation that goes south if you are proactive (calling for evac is a free action and you can still evac after dashing).

There's also the matter of, at least for the guerilla ops and stuff, choosing your battles, sit the mission out if you can't infilitrate a squad you are comfortable with to 100%, accept longer odds and possible losses if the reward is worth it.

Dick Trauma posted:

If you're used to solving all your problems with grenades you'll already be accustomed to seeing that "loot destroyed!" message.

Don't forget rockets. Ambushing large pods with rockets, especially if they are up on a collapsible building or something, is just the loveliest thing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

never not swarm a troop transport or supply raid mission. bring everyone and reap the spoils.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Gyshall posted:

Holo Targeting - Rapid Targeting, Hi Def, Phantom, Independent Tracking, Conceal, Multi - basically the best officer class build. This guy is here to buff the poo poo out of the squad and give good crits and aim bonuses to the squad.

this is amazing and it bears emphasizing that the reason it is amazing and is good on every mission type is that neither holotargeting nor command break concealment so you have a forward scout (something you want anyway) that can have a real impact on fights while staying undiscovered

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I know it probably goes against their grand vision but I turned on the option in the ini that lets me see the AWC skills below the first ones without training them, I'll definitely train a super soldier if they have some incredible perks waiting for them.

Which ini has this?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Somebody confrim if this is true or wrong:

At first I thought Advent strength just comes out of nowhere, but apparently they are mostly coming from neighbouring zones so if they increase the strength in one zone they reduce it in another, so the "taking Advent's attention" missions might have a point other than getting more rookies.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Roobanguy posted:

never not swarm a troop transport or supply raid mission. bring everyone and reap the spoils.

Kills for everyone!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Don't forget rockets. Ambushing large pods with rockets, especially if they are up on a collapsible building or something, is just the loveliest thing.

Give your technical an SMG and sneak him in close and you can do something even better, ambush with a flamethrower :)

Not only does it do damage, but it has a 75% chance to inflict burning (which makes a unit take damage and be unable to attack for two rounds), and makes a lot less noise than a rocket. There's also a perk that adds a chance to disorient and panic to it, which makes it an incredible ambush weapon; spray down an entire pod and between the damage, panic, and burning odds are most of them will never get to attack.

Looks like it might be too good since in the future it's getting nerfed to a 60% chance to inflict burning.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
What difficulty should I play LW2 on for the first time? I finished the vanilla on legendary multiple times.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Captain Gordon posted:

What difficulty should I play LW2 on for the first time? I finished the vanilla on legendary multiple times.

I never even tried to play XCOM2 on legendary, and I've been playing LW2 on veteran. OTOH, I watched/read a lot of advice for LW2 and restarted a few times after getting a feel for new strategies.

If you want to jump into it, I'd say veteran. If you're already familiar with many of the changes and new tactics people are finding, probably commander.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lynx posted:

Which ini has this?

I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\Config\XComLW_AWCPack.ini

You just flip

This: ALWAYSSHOW=false
to this: ALWAYSSHOW=true

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Shoutout to the enemy reinforcements who landed directly on top of my evac point and then proceded to destroy the only ladder up to it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lester Shy posted:

Shoutout to the enemy reinforcements who landed directly on top of my evac point and then proceded to destroy the only ladder up to it.

This is one of those moments where you realize the AI just did exactly what you would do if you were playing in its position. :v:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Bholder posted:

Somebody confrim if this is true or wrong:

At first I thought Advent strength just comes out of nowhere, but apparently they are mostly coming from neighbouring zones so if they increase the strength in one zone they reduce it in another, so the "taking Advent's attention" missions might have a point other than getting more rookies.

Yeah, barring Off World Reinforcements that can come every...20ish days or so?, increases in ADVENT Strength will be coming from other regions.

Generally speaking the exceptions a Region will have to granting reinforcements will be:

1) It doesn't have enough to spare

2) The player has activated the resistance in the region and it has the black site, psi gate, or Forge. (ie can't make a plot mission easier by drawing away enemy elements once you've made contact with that region)

3) The region is currently invading a Liberated region

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

blow up the evac zone to make a new one spawn.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

blow up the evac zone to make a new one spawn.

...across the map in a parking lot full of cars.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
several months in and tbqh i'd much rather just have the spectacularly amazing advent instead of worthless xcom troops at this point

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
When an ADVENT Mec and Officer pop out of the fog of war and take cover next to a car being fueled and a fuel pump at a gas station and your Tech has just enough space to set them all off in a grand explosion? Delicious.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Can Kill Zone crit?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lunethex posted:

Can Kill Zone crit?

All reaction fire is no crits unless you except with the skill that lets it crit.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah. Cool Under Pressure.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh god. I have a supply train that I can raid. 4 men with infiltration boost can get in on Extremely Heavy. Do I dare? My first mission with dudes in Predator Armors, Nanoscale Fiber Vests, and an EXO suit for my techie to get an extra rocket. Do I dare? :(

edit: Pods of 8? And my first rocket didn't even kill any of them? This'll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

that's why you always ask for truth