Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I use WSUS for Windows, more looking for something to do Adobe, Java, etc. Something to buy and drop in with minimal configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
PDQDeploy seems to be well-loved, but I've never used it. Its sister product, PDQInventory, is good.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Priz posted:

I know basic IT stuff... desktop support, some unix over the years... most of my job as of late is troubleshooting PC/Mac stuff... so my knowledge/training has really dropped off...

I was given a server and asked to purchase an OS as inexpensive as possible. They wanted something recent... so reading the versions we decided/agreed upon Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials as the comparison chart we saw limited it to 25 users with no CAL stuff to pay additionally for... ram and other limits but all those fell within our needs... so it seems like an inexpensive option so it was purchased. It was bought for remote desktop (the people who work from home can login since another server in the building is old - it runs Server 2003 & running Windows 2000 for remoting in on and it's always in use) for some of our employees and run shipworks primarily...

After installing it was realized that it can't join our existing domain and that it's pretty much the wrong version of server we purchased. :( I know we need something else to work... not sure of my options. Someone I know mentioning in passing that I should check out Xenserver as that might be something worth exploring... but that's as far as that went (they've never actually used it).

Can anyone provide advice/suggestions on where to go from here? Trying to think of a good inexpensive solution for coworkers to remote desktop in as well as something to run Shipworks (and eventually other things I assume).

Xenserver is a virtualization platform, you would still need Windows Server licenses.

Anywhere you find Windows Server standard edition for less money than the Microsoft store is not legit and you may as well go to that place with the pirate ship for your copy.

What is this "server" you were given?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Priz posted:

I know basic IT stuff... desktop support, some unix over the years... most of my job as of late is troubleshooting PC/Mac stuff... so my knowledge/training has really dropped off...

I was given a server and asked to purchase an OS as inexpensive as possible. They wanted something recent... so reading the versions we decided/agreed upon Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials as the comparison chart we saw limited it to 25 users with no CAL stuff to pay additionally for... ram and other limits but all those fell within our needs... so it seems like an inexpensive option so it was purchased. It was bought for remote desktop (the people who work from home can login since another server in the building is old - it runs Server 2003 & running Windows 2000 for remoting in on and it's always in use) for some of our employees and run shipworks primarily...

After installing it was realized that it can't join our existing domain and that it's pretty much the wrong version of server we purchased. :( I know we need something else to work... not sure of my options. Someone I know mentioning in passing that I should check out Xenserver as that might be something worth exploring... but that's as far as that went (they've never actually used it).

Can anyone provide advice/suggestions on where to go from here? Trying to think of a good inexpensive solution for coworkers to remote desktop in as well as something to run Shipworks (and eventually other things I assume).

Windows 2012 R2 Essentials can join an existing domain, it just needs to have all of the domain controller functions moved to it within 21 days of joining. I'm sure there's a way to extend that if needed.

Priz
Mar 1, 2003

thebigcow posted:

Xenserver is a virtualization platform, you would still need Windows Server licenses.

Anywhere you find Windows Server standard edition for less money than the Microsoft store is not legit and you may as well go to that place with the pirate ship for your copy.

What is this "server" you were given?
The version of Windows Server 2012 R2 we bought was from amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAIBC0I/

The server is a HP ProLiant SE316M1 which has 2x2.27GHz cpus and 84GB of memory currently.

IE: with other machines in here... (and another main network), I don't think it'd be possible for it to be the dc...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't think of any good reason why it couldn't be the DC, it would just take a bit of work to move those roles off the other servers and onto the new one. Not trying to be a dick, but this is one of those instances where it makes sense to pay someone who knows what they are doing to come in and straighten things out for you guys.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What exactly are the rules surrounding Essentials?

Could you just make it a RODC with no FSMO and forget about it? It would be pretty dumb, even in an entry level product, to prevent you from say giving Microsoft twice as much money so you could have a pair of DCs.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

What do you guys use for enterprise 3rd party patch management? Don't care about the costs, just want it to be easy to use.

I've used Shavlik Patch for just about every environment I've taken charge of. It integrates nicely with SCCM and is pretty easy to manage. The software library hits all the right marks for me.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 17, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I'm going to install the demo for the Shavlik standalone product, also probably GFI, and Cloud Management Suite.

We do have SCCM but we only use it for OS deployments, never for software or patching.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

Butt Management Suite.

Extension keeps on delivering

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

PDQDeploy seems to be well-loved, but I've never used it. Its sister product, PDQInventory, is good.

I just got licenses for both on the new year.

Either works great as standalone products, but having both together is pretty loving cool.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

We do have SCCM but we only use it for OS deployments, never for software or patching.
How the gently caress

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Cause it's just me and I don't have the time nor the patience to learn how to do more.

Oh I guess we use it for AV too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you're using it for AV then you're like 75% of the way to using it for patching (at least for just Microsoft products).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I use WSUS so I'm good with Microsoft patching. It's everything else that we currently don't do at all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Why would you pay for SCCM but not use the core features it's meant for :psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We get it with our core cal licensing. Took us years to even get this far. We didn't pay for it separately. We used to use Zenworks and McAfee.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would you pay for SCCM but not use the core features it's meant for :psyduck:

Where I am, replace "SCCM" with "LANDESK" and I wonder the same thing. At least in that case the answer will likely be "because it's LANDESK."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My dudes, I just watched the new security feature rolled into win 10 v1511\later and Server 2016 called credential guard.

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/deep-dive-into-credential-guard-16651

fortunately each video module are only 5 minutes long. Really neat stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

incoherent posted:

My dudes, I just watched the new security feature rolled into win 10 v1511\later and Server 2016 called credential guard.

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/deep-dive-into-credential-guard-16651

fortunately each video module are only 5 minutes long. Really neat stuff.

It's my favourite feature too and is reason alone to move to Windows 10 despite all the other benefits :hfive:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Can anyone point me to a good guide/outline of group policy settings I should use to limit and hopefully seriously stymie the proliferation go malware/bloatware poo poo on workstations?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gozinbulx posted:

Can anyone point me to a good guide/outline of group policy settings I should use to limit and hopefully seriously stymie the proliferation go malware/bloatware poo poo on workstations?

The one that standardizes who is allowed to be in the local admin group. The one that covers windows updates and enforces them to install and reboot. The one that covers with removable media. Web and email control aren't really well done in group policy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening has a good start, and his point about web control and email control are spot on. I'd suggest looking at something like OpenDNS for web filtering and Mimecast for spam / email AV filtering.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gozinbulx posted:

What sickening said. I would look up Microsoft's recommended baseline group policy, but Sickening gave you the stuff to get started with.

Depending on your size/budget you can use appliances or applications to do email and content filtering. I work with a lot of fortigates/fortinets that act as firewalls and content filters, they seem to do a good job at both, but I'm not a security guy so perhaps there are better ways to go about it, and obviously it depends on your current environment.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 23, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/end-user-device-security

and

https://usgcb.nist.gov/usgcb/microsoft/download_win7.html

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks guys, alot to go by.

Out of curiosity, is there a group policy method to forbid the execution of msi's or other installer packages (short of whitelisting executebales and banning everything else)? All these workstations are non-admin yet i swear to god every couple of months I walk in and loving ROBLOX player is on there, I don't even know what it is (some kind of game thing) and I have no idea how they are allowed to install it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gozinbulx posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a group policy method to forbid the execution of msi's or other installer packages (short of whitelisting executebales and banning everything else)? All these workstations are non-admin yet i swear to god every couple of months I walk in and loving ROBLOX player is on there, I don't even know what it is (some kind of game thing) and I have no idea how they are allowed to install it.

Well in theory controlling where they can browse on the internet would help this. Applocker is fine-ish. It just takes a lot of planning and the realization that it isn't a catch all. You really need to get control of email and web before you can expect to make any real progress beyond the basics.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes, almost all of these applications 'install' and execute out of the user profile directories because it doesn't require admin credentials, and there is a gpo that can prevent the running of executables from those directories. This will break some things ( Dropbox, for instance ) but you can work around that as needed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Has anyone really used LAPS yet? (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3062591.aspx)

Our current setup is ERPM and we disable built-in admin/guest, then create a separate admin and utilize ERPM to manage/rotate the password as needed. Moving forward we would disable guest and then let LAPS manage the built-in admin password. This will save our client roughly 200K a year, so it's something that is getting pushed, provided we don't hit showstoppers.

For those that have used it, any issues/gotchas/whatevers?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

MF_James posted:

Has anyone really used LAPS yet? (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3062591.aspx)

Our current setup is ERPM and we disable built-in admin/guest, then create a separate admin and utilize ERPM to manage/rotate the password as needed. Moving forward we would disable guest and then let LAPS manage the built-in admin password. This will save our client roughly 200K a year, so it's something that is getting pushed, provided we don't hit showstoppers.

I use it and have never had an issue with it - it doesn't have to manage the built-in admin account, if you wanted to keep using the separate admin account.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MF_James posted:

I have LAPS about 50% deployed right now, should have 100% coverage in a couple months.

LAPS is enforced by GPO and AD ACL's.

The extended attributes do store the password in plain text, but if you follow the instructions for setting permissions, you should have a reasonable expectation of security.

Passwords only update when the computer boots up and processes group policy. The password reset works be setting the expiration date to the current date-time.

The GUI is terrible, but the powershell module is great.

wyoak posted:

I use it and have never had an issue with it - it doesn't have to manage the built-in admin account, if you wanted to keep using the separate admin account.

This is the way I do it as well, and afaik is the recommended best practice, since the built-in admin sid is a known constant.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Perhaps we aren't going back to the built-in admin account. Initially I thought LAPS could ONLY handle the built-in, but perhaps it has changed since I last looked at it (it's been a while). I am not specifically involved in the project, but figured I'd see what others have experienced.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, you can specify what account it rotates the password on - one of the domains I manage a previous admin decided to put in a GPO that renames administrator to something else entirely.

Works great, especially if there's an instance where someone is remote and you have to give them admin to fix their vpn client or whatever, who gives a poo poo if you give them the password, mark it to reset the next day. That, combined with a set of group policies that purge all local admins except the specified IT groups as well as a per-computer account security group makes it very easy to audit who has local admin. Wanna give someone local admin? Just create a domain local security group named "%COMPUTERNAME% Administrators," drop the person in there, and they're good to go.

If that user you give the local admin to is smart enough to add themselves as local admin, this GPO will blow them away at the next gpo refresh interval.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 26, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

devmd01 posted:

Yeah, you can specify what account it rotates the password on - one of the domains I manage a previous admin decided to put in a GPO that renames administrator to something else entirely.

Works great, especially if there's an instance where someone is remote and you have to give them admin to fix their vpn client or whatever, who gives a poo poo if you give them the password, mark it to reset the next day. That, combined with a set of group policies that purge all local admins except the specified IT groups as well as a per-computer account security group makes it very easy to audit who has local admin. Wanna give someone local admin? Just create a domain local security group named "%COMPUTERNAME% Administrators," drop the person in there, and they're good to go.

If that user you give the local admin to is smart enough to add themselves as local admin, this GPO will blow them away at the next gpo refresh interval.

"Large letters + small letters"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

painpoints from what i've read over at /r/sysadmin

quote:

If you delete the computer account from AD you lose the password for the local admin account.
If you take an image of the machine and later roll it back you have no means of looking up the local admin password from the time the image was taken.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

incoherent posted:

painpoints from what i've read over at /r/sysadmin

1. Don't delete computer objects unless the hardware is being decommissioned.
2. If the computer is still a member of AD, the password will update.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

re #2: It falls under those "lost trust with the domain" situations. I agree with not deleting the object. There has to be a hard reason to delete it (or reuse object names).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

incoherent posted:

re #2: It falls under those "lost trust with the domain" situations. I agree with not deleting the object. There has to be a hard reason to delete it (or reuse object names).

In that situation I'd prefer to re-image the computer fresh, then extract any data I need from the backup image separately. If that's not an option you're already in a special shitflake situation and there are a bunch of tools out there for wiping local passwords.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Crosspost from infosec thread

https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Windows+SMBv3+Denial+of+Service+Proof+of+Concept+%280+Day+Exploit%29/22029 (vuln analysis)
https://github.com/lgandx/PoC/blob/master/SMBv3%20Tree%20Connect/Win10.py (PoC)
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/867968
https://isc.sans.edu/diaryimages/smbexploit.pcap (sample pcap, look at the bytes on packet 27)

quote:

Windows SMBv3 Denial of Service Proof of Concept (0 Day Exploit)

A "Proof of Concept" (PoC) Exploit causing a blue screen of death on recent Windows version was released on Github earlier today. The exploit implements an SMBv3 server, and clients connecting to it will be affected. An attacker would have to trick the client to connect to this server. It isn't clear if this is exploitable beyond a denial of service. To be vulnerable, a client needs to support SMBv3, which was introduced in Windows 8 for clients and Windows 2012 on servers.

Right now, I do not see a Microsoft statement regarding this exploit and the vulnerability triggered by it. Of course, it is best practice to block port 445 inbound AND outbound on your firewall, limiting the impact somewhat.

quote:

Microsoft Windows fails to properly handle traffic from a malicious server. In particular, Windows fails to properly handle a specially-crafted server response that contains too many bytes following the structure defined in the SMB2 TREE_CONNECT Response structure. By connecting to a malicious SMB server, a vulnerable Windows client system may crash (BSOD) in mrxsmb20.sys. We have confirmed the crash with fully-patched Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 client systems, as well as the server equivalents of these platforms, Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

Note that there are a number of techniques that can be used to trigger a Windows system to connect to an SMB share. Some may require little to no user interaction.

Exploit code for this vulnerability is publicly available.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

StorSimple is now available as a VM rather than the fairly high entry price of the physical appliances.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/storsimple-new-offers/

I don't think this is a Nasuni competitor since it doesn't appear to try and provide the global file share across multiple offices, but it's a very keen price if the features work for you.