Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
Sounds good. My main complaint about Sector/Planet Management AI was that it would accumulate minerals and energy but would very slowly upgrade or build new buildings on tiles with pops when it could afford it, if ever. I have not messed around with slavery/purging/robots in sectors but I know plenty of people have pointed out problems there. Reading the dev diary's about it sounds like you are changing slavery/purging mechanics to be more automated, which if I am right would also make sector pop management easier too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I'd just be happy with some moo style planet glassing via fleets. The "cost" should be severe diplomatic reactions from most of the galaxy plus the lost opportunity of invading and taking that planet.

The biggest issue with that it simply doesn't mesh at all with a PDS warscore system. You'd be able to knock out giant empires in a single war, which as it stands would completely unbalance the game.

I definitely want to get it into the game and I more or less know how to solve this conflict, but it's not coming in 1.5.

Kilravock posted:

Sounds good. My main complaint about Sector/Planet Management AI was that it would accumulate minerals and energy but would very slowly upgrade or build new buildings on tiles with pops when it could afford it, if ever. I have not messed around with slavery/purging/robots in sectors but I know plenty of people have pointed out problems there. Reading the dev diary's about it sounds like you are changing slavery/purging mechanics to be more automated, which if I am right would also make sector pop management easier too.

Sectors no longer make any decisions over slavery or purging in 1.5.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Xenophobes and Millitarists should not give one red poo poo if you glass a planet, maybe unless it's a kind they can use or something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'll take a shot at the race-mixing species-sharing too:

[code]"Avol Star Council"
={
key="Avol Star Council"
name_list="AVI2"
ship_prefix="AAS"
species_name="Avol"
species_plural="Avol"
species_class="AVI"
species_adjective="Avol"
species_bio="The Avol evolved as apex predators on the broad savannahs of Qrava. Avol are by nature solitary, maintaining few close connections on a regular basis. The difficulty of gaining access to other Avol's personal territory lead to the Avol's two cultural obsessions: storytelling and the exchange of gifts. Both practices served as social lubricants in the solitary Avol lifestyle, and became the basis of organized Avol society. Now, the Avol take to the stars with the same propensity for mythmaking and trade as their early ancestors."
portrait="avi6"
name="Avol Star Council"
adjective="Council"
government="plutocratic_oligarchy"
ftl=wormhole
weapon="tech_lasers_1"
planet_name="Qrava"
planet_class="pc_savannah"
system_name="Qratrafrana"
initializer=""
graphical_culture="avian_01"
city_graphical_culture="avian_01"
empire_flag={
icon={
category="spherical"
file="flag_spherical_13.dds"
}
background={
category="backgrounds"
file="circle.dds"
}
colors={
"burgundy"
"black"
"null"
"null"
}
}
ruler={
gender=female
name="Qutrok"
portrait="avi6_f"
texture=0
hair=0
clothes=4
}
spawn_as_fallen=no
ignore_portrait_duplication=no
spawn_enabled=yes
ethic="ethic_individualist"
ethic="ethic_militarist"
ethic="ethic_spiritualist"
trait="trait_slow_breeders"
trait="trait_deviants"
trait="trait_solitary"
trait="trait_charismatic"
trait="trait_venerable"
[/]

I agree a pastebin might be a good idea.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Have you followed that team that taught their AI to play Brood War on ladder?

It's not too surprising that an artificial insect can play as the Zerg, really. Starcraft's all about "gather resources/conquer territory" which happens to be a type of behavior that neurons are really, really good at generating.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Wiz posted:

Fun fact: The EU4 army AI essentially consists of one gigantic evaluation where each AI army asks itself 'which province do I want to be standing in' every single in-game day. It has no concept of strategy, no long-term plan, just a list of provinces ordered from 'most want to stand in' to 'least want to stand in' with dozens upon dozens of weights and special cases that have grown out of endless iterations.

This is amazing btw, and I can totally see this in action with regards to some of the AI's decisionmaking.

As a totally random aside (since this is the Stellaris thread after all) have you guys discussed much about how the lack of 'terrain' removes a lot of the interesting strategic decisionmaking from fleet combat compared to your other games? Exactly where and when a battle takes place doesn't seem particularly important, unless it's next to a bunch of military bases or something.

Before the game came out I was hoping that we'd have more localised terrain-like effects such as radiation fields, nebulae, asteroid belts (and yeah they're not realistic but rule of cool!) etc - which might not necessarily even cover all of a single system - and would give various bonuses or penalties in order to make strategic strongpoints and weak spots.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

I've basically completely recoded the sector AI in 1.5 to prevent unnecessary resource accumulation, and the new tooltip I added shows you exactly what they are planning to do with the resources they have.

I want to add a 'prioritize happiness' setting if there's time, too.

Wiz posted:

This stuff is easily my most awaited feature in 1.5. Keep killing it.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I'm brand new to this game and need some advice! I'm sandwiched between 3 civs and 1 of them is huge and hostile. I'm friendly with the other 2 and have a defensive pact with one. The big hostile empire is encroaching on my space but I don't have the forces to go to war, what should I do? Do i expand in another direction and try and eventually gain a military advantage or can I go about this diplomatically?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wiz posted:

I've basically completely recoded the sector AI in 1.5 to prevent unnecessary resource accumulation, and the new tooltip I added shows you exactly what they are planning to do with the resources they have.

This is the single coolest thing to me about the upcoming update - I like the idea of sectors but haven't been using them as I'm wary of the reported problems with them, so this is fantastic. (Well, using them when I have to because I want more planets, but you know what I mean.)

That said, my god this game is great. I'm a roleplay-heavy type who tries to play my individualist collectivists as they are, and it's fun! This game is just really good for whiling away the hours as I try to swipe a resource-rich planet from my neighbors - and unlike Civ V, I don't wind up in these loops where I make a few mistakes, get clowned on by the AI, and get mad. Instead it feels more...organic? Or, rather, more fun to play.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I'm brand new to this game and need some advice! I'm sandwiched between 3 civs and 1 of them is huge and hostile. I'm friendly with the other 2 and have a defensive pact with one. The big hostile empire is encroaching on my space but I don't have the forces to go to war, what should I do? Do i expand in another direction and try and eventually gain a military advantage or can I go about this diplomatically?
Prepare for war, but let the hostile civ declare war so the defensive pact is to your advantage. Try making a pact with someone else if possible. If/when the hostile civ declares war, try taking a planet or two of theirs as an objective.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

CrazyTolradi posted:

Prepare for war, but let the hostile civ declare war so the defensive pact is to your advantage. Try making a pact with someone else if possible. If/when the hostile civ declares war, try taking a planet or two of theirs as an objective.

Would it be a good strategy to try and build frontier outposts to contain their expansion for now?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Conquer the 1 smaller one you're not allied with. Then conquer the other one. Then conquer the big one.

The AI is not particularly aggressive, nor are they particularly great at managing their fleets. Assuming you can get to at least 'equivalent' fleet strength, you can probably defeat them, or at the very least run your fleet around tediously for 10 years while they chase you, until they eventually agree to a white peace having achieved nothing (wormholes make this really easy).

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Wiz posted:

A search engine playing Jeopardy is a much more fertile soil for machine learning because it has clear win/loss states.

Let's try to translate that to say, EU4. What's a win/loss state there? Well, clearly being annexed is a loss, so if the machine AI gets annexed it's making bad decisions. Only, which particular decisions led to it getting annexed? Was it raising stability, fabricating claims? Was it the alliance it formed? Furthermore, there are countries that are going to do much worse on average than others, so you'd have to filter for that as well. At some point you accumulate so much data, it's simply impossible to filter the useful stuff from the noise. You could have a crack team of AI experts going at it for decades and I still don't think it'd be better than something I can put together in six months with a utility machine and some heuristics.

That's if you want to use ML to play the entire game, though. It seems like a more natural way to incorporate ML would be in specific places where you have binary or categorical decisions (do I think I will win if I start a war with this person? which tech should I pick next?) and labeled training data (which can be generated by hand, or by watching good human players).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I just learned that making multiple defensive pacts really sucks when your opponent decides to declare on your smallest ally instead of you, meaning that no one else in your defensive alliance is actually going to help.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

How about "don't complain about the AI being broken when you're playing with mods?"

In regards to Civ, modders have always generally managed to "fix" the Civilization AI. Obviously it's never going to be truly competitive with a skilled human player, but the AI in IV and V was greatly improved by modders. That's why I've stopped complaining about the AI in Civ VI. Instead I'm complaining about the lack of SDK :argh:

I've found modding to be a great thing in general for strategy games of all kinds.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder if I can order one of my battleships to ram into this bad boy and shove it into the event horizon just to see what happens.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824682541370212352

In a galaxy where you can keep people in a blissfully unaware drunken stupor before you eat their balls, that's probably one of the more humane ways to meet your end.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I just learned that making multiple defensive pacts really sucks when your opponent decides to declare on your smallest ally instead of you, meaning that no one else in your defensive alliance is actually going to help.

The most human of moves.

Still, I feel like Defensive Pacts are almost pointless in this game past the very beginning, it's not hard to outbuild even an advanced start AI.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Sindai posted:

There was a good article on behavior tree vs utility AI on gamasutra a while back: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JakobRasmussen/20160427/271188/Are_Behavior_Trees_a_Thing_of_the_Past.php

The short version of this link said Jako...of the Past, and that's now my new roleplaying character, so good job.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The AI talk is fascinating. Its something I always wanted to play with but, I'm in life science so I wouldn't know where to start.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Azuth0667 posted:

The AI talk is fascinating. Its something I always wanted to play with but, I'm in life science so I wouldn't know where to start.

a non-trivial amount of synthetic decision making is modeled after natural decision making so your background is not irrelevant

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wiz posted:

The biggest issue with that it simply doesn't mesh at all with a PDS warscore system. You'd be able to knock out giant empires in a single war, which as it stands would completely unbalance the game.

I definitely want to get it into the game and I more or less know how to solve this conflict, but it's not coming in 1.5.

Seems to me that it would be a wargoal, like Cleanse Planet. Of course, I know even less about game balance than the average poster in this thread, let alone you (not to mention long term design goals, philosophy and what-have-you), so I imagine it's much more than a simple matter of figuring out how many wargoal points it would cost and the diplomatic consequences.

Thank you for talking about AI--very interesting, if at times apparently thankless work. Well, outside of threads like these, of course.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Checked Wiz's Twitter, and this is a smaller thing that got missed from earlier today:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824646924624154624
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824648593730629632
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824648693366321153

A nice little thing, I think. Will make the map look a lot better. Also more colors would be nice too.

Also, didn't notice at first, but the above black hole station seems to be an arthropoid station, I think. That's neat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

In that there are at least two mods that add more map/flag colors, I don't see why adding colors to the base game would provide much in the way of difficulty.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Checked Wiz's Twitter, and this is a smaller thing that got missed from earlier today:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824646924624154624
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824648593730629632
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824648693366321153

A nice little thing, I think. Will make the map look a lot better. Also more colors would be nice too.

Also, didn't notice at first, but the above black hole station seems to be an arthropoid station, I think. That's neat.

This is a fantastic change, though I'd love to see more flag colors as well.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

On a less AI nerd note, it seems like 1.5 brings in a load of options for happiness boosting stuff, have you guys been trying to make max happiness a decent stratgey again?

I know on release a max happiness stratgey was quite powerful but after tweaks to some things it seems to be secondary to things like "being collectivist with -ED tech" and "being individualist"

It could just be there's a way to make it work really well in the current game and I'm just not seeing mind you

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there any clue as to roughly when to expect 1.5? I've just bought this game and it's a bit daunting as I don't know where to start, and I'm wondering if I should wait for 1.5 as it sounds like it will change a lot.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

GotLag posted:

Is there any clue as to roughly when to expect 1.5? I've just bought this game and it's a bit daunting as I don't know where to start, and I'm wondering if I should wait for 1.5 as it sounds like it will change a lot.

I'm guessing 1.5 will be some time as there's no official announcement yet. Give it a couple playthroughs and familiarize yourself with the rest of the game in the meantime.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

I reckon April myself.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'd expect a few months seeing how there's no date yet.

Also, yesterday a friend and I started a game and we both rolled random races and I got a shitshow xenophobe militarist materialist race and how do I even play this thing? Everyone around me is also xenophones, which just makes things worse, so I ended up declaring war on the most dangerous and biggest one and vassalized them entirely in like 2 fights due to the AI doing a dumb thing with their fleet and letting me jump in on top of them with an autocannon fleet and promptly lost their entire fleet power with me losing only 2 corvettes.

But they were doing more harm than good as vassals so I just integrated them (which cost 1020 influence to begin with) and now I'm paying 2 influence per month to supress their sector cause they're really pissed off. At least I could demolish all the frontier outposts, since my borders increased by a factor of 2 when they intergrated :v:

What I want to ask is, is there even anything I can do to change this, or do I just ignore the problem and spend the influence forever? I don't think there's enough happiness buildings to change these guys' opinion, seeing how they used to be fanatical purifiers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Purge the xeno scum.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You could purify them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think if I do that I'll get thrown out of the federation post haste and that's the only thing keeping the horde at bay right now. Maybe after I build some more colonies and spaceports for a bigger fleet I'll explore that option.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Forcibly resettle the biggest troublemakers onto you shitholiest planet, release that planet as a vassal.
Which my autocorrect changed to "hassle" which also works.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Enslave their entire species and only suppress malcontented slaves. Boom, you've just cut your influence costs in half.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think this game plays a lot better if you set the planet incidence to 25% at game start. It makes the planets you do get more important, and can make terraforming actually worth doing in some situations.

Though I still think there are too many. I wouldn't mind being able to turn that slider down to 10% or even 5%.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I find that even at 100% there are often times where parts of the galaxy seem devoid of habitable planets or are just full of grabage planets that aren't really worth settling on. This often leads to huge areas where you're not able to exploit anything because there's no way to extend ypur influence through it, so it just sits unused.

The addition of terraforming barren planets should help with this, at least in the late game, but I often wish there were other ways to extend your borders, or at least exploit unclaimed resources, without having to spend a fortune on political influence points.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I think this game plays a lot better if you set the planet incidence to 25% at game start. It makes the planets you do get more important, and can make terraforming actually worth doing in some situations.

Though I still think there are too many. I wouldn't mind being able to turn that slider down to 10% or even 5%.

I agree that it seems to be more fun with a slightly less populated galaxy, although it'd be nice if the influence cost of frontier outposts scaled down with the number of habitable planets. I need my borders to look pretty goddamnit.

Either than, or an increased influence sphere for colonies. Otherwise the space is TOO empty, in that, it's wasted.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I find that even at 100% there are often times where parts of the galaxy seem devoid of habitable planets or are just full of grabage planets that aren't really worth settling on. This often leads to huge areas where you're not able to exploit anything because there's no way to extend ypur influence through it, so it just sits unused.

The addition of terraforming barren planets should help with this, at least in the late game, but I often wish there were other ways to extend your borders, or at least exploit unclaimed resources, without having to spend a fortune on political influence points.

Yeah this is my issue, that due to borders and a lack of planets and the cost of using outposts, at 100% you end up with empty space sometimes.

I usually play on 125%, but I think the number of planets on release was twice as much, so it's still way less now then Stellaris 1.0

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Is this... bad?

I have found a bit of neutral unclaimed territory can often be a good thing.

PittTheElder posted:

The most human of moves.

Still, I feel like Defensive Pacts are almost pointless in this game past the very beginning, it's not hard to outbuild even an advanced start AI.

Yeah but unfortunately the two biggest non-FE AI in the game joined in on that war together. I could have beaten either one of them, but both was... not terribly doable. (I also had it on hard, admittedly)

It doesn't seem fair that they can declare war on another guy to seize MY planets and thus get around my defensive pacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Will habitats generate border pressure? If you can make an outpost, build a habitat and then delete the outpost that will really shake up the lategame in low planet% games.

• Locked thread