Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I see no "North Korea Flag Standing Item" listed in that sale.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:blush:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Anita Dickinme posted:

:siren: IT'S TRYHARD THURSDAY :siren:

Hope on your best meta mech and yell at each other and sperg about builds. Or just make it like every other night, whichever works

Goddammit. And here I am at work with my cock in a sock

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually bushwacker is cool and good

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I'm terrible and wore nostalgia glasses and bought the bushwacker.
It's a glass cannon and then some, but when it works (by which I mean you use the rest of your team as meatshields and/or sneak up on the other team from an angle they're not bothering to check) it's not too bad.

The P2 and P1 can be turned into half a dakka mech, and a nasty splat mech, respectively (okay I think I have those the right way round). The splatwacker pretty much deletes half a mech with the 6SRM6 approach (followed up by an LPL to confirm), while the semidakkawacker does what most AC5 mechs do, with a small dash of ML/SRM6 brawl.

The other chassis range from coming close to this functionality, through to terrible (Hero mech and the core 1X/1XS - pretty much as expected, because PGI tends to make these mechs terrible, see: every phoenix hawk). There's an almost reasonable energy focus build on some of the others, and I'm considering the 3LL approach to make it less crap (or applying the energy centurion build) but I don't know if it will take. The splatwacker is pretty much the only redeemable chassis of the lot, and that's because it does the same job as the splatcat at 10 tons less.

It's still a giant shitbird of a glass cannon though, so I'm not sure if a STD engine can rescue or condemn this mech in any way. I'm thinking MLs + SRM6s if I attempt this route. Or in cases where the CT only has one energy slot, maybe an LPL and some SRMs. For the most part, ballistics do not do this mech many favours. I'm going to have to have a think as to how to create the L1, but by using a STD engine (it'll never work, this is a poo poo mech, don't buy it until it releases for Cbills and you have so many cbills you can just burn them - if so get the P1 and P2 and then flip a coin for the remaining one if we still need 3 mechs by that point).

fake edit: it really is a glass cannon, the sides and legs fall off if an enemy so much as sneezes on them.

Real edit: fixed for clarity.
Also, the S2 is the only other bushwacker that can almost be made good - it is the mirror of the high roller which ends up being crap.
The X2 is a poor attempt at being an alternative to the X1, and is also crap in comparison to the P2.
The X1 is pretty unredeemable right now, but maybe there's a way. I doubt it though.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 27, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mcjomar posted:

fake edit: it really is a glass cannon, the sides and legs fall off if an enemy so much as sneezes on them.

:agreed:
Which is great when you're the one making the sides and legs fall off. Mind you I will certainly admit that seeing bushwackers in action looks cool and I think as a 3D asset for the new Battletech they'll be excellent.

In MWO they are however condemned by how the geometry works out in a 3D first person manual targeting environment.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Had a string of games where I was the only light/gofast. Alpha squad was Bushwhacker squad. Maybe it's a tier 4 thing.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Bobcats posted:

Had a string of games where I was the only light/gofast. Alpha squad was Bushwhacker squad. Maybe it's a tier 4 thing.

More likely a declining player base thing than a tier thing. I don't think the tiers or the match making system is working right now. Also I'm 99.5% sure that the tier thing is just an exp bar.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The playerbase is amazingly bad right now. It's funny to see the same 10-15 people over and over when playing group queue.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Did they finally manage to do it? Did PGI finally nickel and dime their customer base to death?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Q_res posted:

Did they finally manage to do it? Did PGI finally nickel and dime their customer base to death?

I don't think it was nickel and diming people. I think it was all snipers all the time and really lovely balancing that will be the final nails in the coffin. If you look at steamcharts it shows that this time last year there was ~2,000 steam users on. Now a year later that's down to ~1,500 players. :pgi: hosed up big and couldn't retain their player base.

E: Wait I'm wrong for this month it's even worse its ~1,000 average players. They literally lost half their player base in a year. I'd think this would be a wake up call but, :pgi:.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 27, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jesus

Rip

Cadmus02
Jan 12, 2015

Azuth0667 posted:

More likely a declining player base thing than a tier thing. I don't think the tiers or the match making system is working right now. Also I'm 99.5% sure that the tier thing is just an exp bar.

I am 100% sure the tier bar is just an XP bar 99% of the time. Someone worked out that you go up way more than you go down.

I think new players start in Tier 4. You only go down to Tier 5 if you troll, TK or constantly DC.

As for the lack of lights right now that's due to the event, partly. You need a 200 point match score and you have to be not terrible in a light mech to get that. The servers dynamically balance teams based on what people are driving. Unless there was a light mech release it is rare to see 3 per team. They really ought to change the scoring system to help lights. Last night I tried to hope into the queue in a light and it took longer to find me a game than in my Assault, people don't want to drive them right now.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

^^: When I started it put me in tier 5 and one of my friends who made the mistake of becoming a legendary founder claims to be in tier 6. I didn't know a tier 6 existed :shrug:.

Just looking at what data we have its pretty hilarious to see a bunch of people get excited for a steam release only to :yikes: a month later after they find out the game has not improved from when they left it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What's the preferred model if you're going to buy a single timberwolf?

What about Dire Wolf?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

For direwolves either the Ultraviolence if you have the spare, free, mc or the one with the energy hardpoints in the torso.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also is there any reason to buy a Warhawk? I know it's largely been eclipsed by the Marauder IIc, but is there that one gimmick build it does better than anything else?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

^^: When I started it put me in tier 5 and one of my friends who made the mistake of becoming a legendary founder claims to be in tier 6. I didn't know a tier 6 existed :shrug:.

There is no tier six. They were lying/being sarcastic.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also is there any reason to buy a Warhawk? I know it's largely been eclipsed by the Marauder IIc, but is there that one gimmick build it does better than anything else?

Not really, no. They have okay-ish quirks for a clan mech, but the side torso heat gen nerf combined with the omnipod quirk destruction change make the mech totally worthless; before this patch the WHK vs the MAD IIC was like the AWS vs STK in that the Warhawk had a few niche things it did alright mostly because of quirks. Now it's just totally obsolete.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

aniviron posted:

Not really, no. They have okay-ish quirks for a clan mech, but the side torso heat gen nerf combined with the omnipod quirk destruction change make the mech totally worthless; before this patch the WHK vs the MAD IIC was like the AWS vs STK in that the Warhawk had a few niche things it did alright mostly because of quirks. Now it's just totally obsolete.

IIRC you still keep quirks when omnipods are destroyed, and they removed that line from the patch notes and said it was accidentally added in.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

mcjomar posted:

So uh, what mech have YOU been playing?
Yes the side torsos are the weakest part of the bsw, but they still carry a pretty respectable 60 armor, and it's child's play to tank fire onto your 80armor ct on purpose.
Also the legs are more heavily armored than any other IS medium I believe, at a solid 59.
I've found as long as you dont get flanked or eat a bunch of sniper rounds in side torsos the thing is surprisingly thick and I can facefight assaults and win about 80% of the time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know what else has 60 armor side torsos? A Cauldron Born.

It also goes 80kph with a safe XL engine, has heaps more pod space and great omnipods.

It's ok though I'm sure the bushwacker was totally a good buy :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DancingShade posted:

You know what else has 60 armor side torsos? A Cauldron Born.

It also goes 80kph with a safe XL engine, has heaps more pod space and great omnipods.

It's ok though I'm sure the bushwacker was totally a good buy :v:

Do you own any IS mechs that aren't, maybe, Assault mechs that can run well with a STD engine?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Do you own any IS mechs that aren't, maybe, Assault mechs that can run well with a STD engine?

Medium crabs and warhammers are excellent with STD engines.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
^^^^^Haha, you used STD and Crabs in the same sentence. Play with goons you bad.

Rysithusiku posted:

So uh, what mech have YOU been playing?
Yes the side torsos are the weakest part of the bsw, but they still carry a pretty respectable 60 armor, and it's child's play to tank fire onto your 80armor ct on purpose.
Also the legs are more heavily armored than any other IS medium I believe, at a solid 59.
I've found as long as you dont get flanked or eat a bunch of sniper rounds in side torsos the thing is surprisingly thick and I can facefight assaults and win about 80% of the time.

Not gonna lie, but the Bushwackers I've shot seem surprisingly tanky. But this could also very well be attributed to week 1 hit boxes. This is no reason to go out and buy one.

Also, yes the tier rating is an xp meter. I apparently played enough to start mid tier 3, and hit tier 2 drat near the same week. It has take dedicated efforts (or just gimmick nights) to stay out of tier 1. Unless you do no damage you almost always go up on a win, and if you do too much damage on a loss you still go up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

^^^^^Haha, you used STD and Crabs in the same sentence. Play with goons you bad.

Most of the goons I've played with are garbage at rolling damage in STDs and they die to XL side loss. They'll figure it out eventually.

If you aren't still shooting with 11% of a mech left you're doing it wrong.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't think it was nickel and diming people. I think it was all snipers all the time and really lovely balancing that will be the final nails in the coffin. If you look at steamcharts it shows that this time last year there was ~2,000 steam users on. Now a year later that's down to ~1,500 players. :pgi: hosed up big and couldn't retain their player base.

E: Wait I'm wrong for this month it's even worse its ~1,000 average players. They literally lost half their player base in a year. I'd think this would be a wake up call but, :pgi:.

So how long til they announce they're getting rid of skill tiers?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
End of February maybe. who knows

edit: i suck at reading. End of feburary maybe for the mech skills stuff, skill teirs is.... eh

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 28, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

:lol: Like they'd announce it. They'll just patch it out of the matchmaking and leave it in the UI.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Did anyone listen to the "community round table" these bozos did?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Azuth0667 posted:

No but I have the video pitch for transverse engraved in my memory. Any similarities?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I skipped it, watched the HBS Twitch stream instead.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

To quote Russ on poptarting: "I don't see poptarting as an issue"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

I had a bunch of sewing/mending to do so I put it on for something to listen to while I did. Complete waste of time. They picked three people who supposedly represent the community, and those three people spent nearly 50% of the time (not even kidding, it was two hours and they spent 51 minutes on this) on the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge gamebreaking issue of adjusting spawns in CW non-invasion maps. Then there was a bathroom break and the second hour was equally worthless. The only thing worth nothing that was said at all is that the next big CW update will be about bringing loyalist-only players into small faction vs faction events i.e. Davion vs Liao; but then they kinda realized that there are only four clan factions and that this plan would absolutely wreck the "buckets."

On the plus side, I got eighteen garments mended in a bit over two hours, so I guess it was a pretty productive town hall after all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how Battletech was designed from the ground up to be unbalanced due to the economy mechanics (which don't translate to an arena based game too well) it's always fun times when people discuss balance and all the forms it doesn't come in.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
How long are they going to keep dumping resources into a game mode nobody enjoys.

Make a fuckin drop deck mode for skirmish and ditch all the lovely faction warfare map garbage.

Allow multiple drop deck types and saveable loadouts selectable after seeing what map was picked.

Take existing cw maps and turn them into regular maps.

Kill CW stop splitting your shrinking playerbase.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 28, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Or kill skirmish, and make all matches play into CW. (obvs some shorter game modes would need to be added to CW)

Take existing regular maps and turn them into CW maps.

Allow multiple drop deck types and saveable loadouts selectable after seeing what map was picked.

Kill skirmish stop splitting your shrinking playerbase.

Rebalance all weapons and gear in the game to something reasonable, remove undocumented, unclear, overcomplicated garbage.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

OB_Juan posted:

.... remove undocumented, unclear, overcomplicated garbage.

tbf, that's like, 70% of the game right there.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

Or kill skirmish, and make all matches play into CW. (obvs some shorter game modes would need to be added to CW)

Take existing regular maps and turn them into CW maps.

Kill skirmish stop splitting your shrinking playerbase.

Rebalance all weapons and gear in the game to something reasonable, remove undocumented, unclear, overcomplicated garbage.

:allears:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"My suggestion is to just make your game fun and make it so people want to play it. That should be easy right?"

"Also while you're doing that here is a long laundry list of stuff I want you to do that basically amounts to content for a whole new game, will cost accordingly and won't directly generate revenue."

"Hello? I think the line has gone dead. Are you still there?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I bet you'd get more people playing if you make people buy skins instead of mechs!!!!!

• Locked thread