Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/TDavenport_NFL/status/823643859255250945

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watson sucks if he falls to the 25th pick then that's a loving reach

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If I was him I'd be thankful to drop that low if it meant not getting drafted by the Browns.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah if I were him I would seriously consider posting something stupid on social media or do something harmless but stupid that puts my intangibles into question so I don't get drafted by the Browns.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Flikken posted:

This is like the 3rd mock draft I've seen the Browns taking a RB at #12. Crow and Duke were a decent 1-2 punch. Why use that high a pick on a RB?

Fear not, the Browns will trade down from both #1 and #12 and draft high motor low production defensive linemen who just love football.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Bigass Moth posted:

Fear not, the Browns will trade down from both #1 and #12 and draft high motor low production defensive linemen who just love football.

They are going to trade #12 for Garropolo. Then the patriots will trade that pick for 2 more picks. One of those picks they get will be another HOF QB and the patriots will go on another 15 year run of greatness when Josh McDaniels takes over.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

extendedsolo posted:

They are going to trade #12 for Garropolo. Then the patriots will trade that pick for 2 more picks. One of those picks they get will be another HOF QB and the patriots will go on another 15 year run of greatness when Josh McDaniels takes over.

This is never going to happen because Tom Brady will play until he is 65 and won 15 Super Bowls for the Pats

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/jasonlieser/status/824098797651378176

Armando says Miami is high on Anzalone. I hope we draft every Gator LB.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

:laffo: The Panthers drafted a LB/S in last years draft. Look up Jeremy Cash.

In tiny hands watch:

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/823905554787696640

You're speaking to my point, the panthers have more than enough athletic thumpers, they need coverage safeties and pass protectors and have done for years.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

extendedsolo posted:

Kind of like when we were supposed to trade a 1st for Mallet every year he was on the Pats roster?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

I will never not read his name as anything but Analzone.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

They need someone to compliment Kenneth Dixon (who is not an every down back) and West isn't a long term solution. Pumphrey is real good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Watson sucks if he falls to the 25th pick then that's a loving reach

Yeah, but how much of an improvement is he over Osweiler?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ehud posted:

That sounds like a line from TCC

"Oh, Miami? Yeah, he's high on Anzalone."

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

BlindSite posted:

You're speaking to my point, the panthers have more than enough athletic thumpers, they need coverage safeties and pass protectors and have done for years.

I was just laughing at the fact that they keep going after linebackers when there is more need at other positions. I'll need to look over their Free Agent history and draft history to get a feel on what their GM likes to do. From outside looking in (and a very generic point of view) it looks like he values 1 Techs, 3 techs, Linebackers, and Guards/Centers. He doesnt put a lot of resources into Wide Receiver or DB and will rely on mid to late draft picks or guys they can pick up on the cheap from free agency (Kurt Coleman, Charles Tillman, Ted Ginn etc.). I'll make a point to look into the team along with the Cowboys and Redskins.

Doltos, have you checked out this Antonio Pipkin guy? I wasnt able to catch much of the senior bowl practices but I was able to see that awesome throw he made to Evan Engram. Outside of that one throw the QB play I saw was pretty terrible.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, but how much of an improvement is he over Osweiler?

I still maintain that Osweiler needed more years experience before starting. When he was drafted out of ASU he needed to go back for another year before going to the pros to sit for a year. Instead he left early, sat for a year, started, then got into FA. So by my calendar last year should have been his first full starting year after purely absorbing experience from the bench and practice. I think he performed pretty lovely by 'rookie' standards but still has promise. I mean he can zing some passes. Watson just screams undersized Geno Smith to me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

I was just laughing at the fact that they keep going after linebackers when there is more need at other positions. I'll need to look over their Free Agent history and draft history to get a feel on what their GM likes to do. From outside looking in (and a very generic point of view) it looks like he values 1 Techs, 3 techs, Linebackers, and Guards/Centers. He doesnt put a lot of resources into Wide Receiver or DB and will rely on mid to late draft picks or guys they can pick up on the cheap from free agency (Kurt Coleman, Charles Tillman, Ted Ginn etc.). I'll make a point to look into the team along with the Cowboys and Redskins.

Doltos, have you checked out this Antonio Pipkin guy? I wasnt able to catch much of the senior bowl practices but I was able to see that awesome throw he made to Evan Engram. Outside of that one throw the QB play I saw was pretty terrible.

I think its a little less he values them and more colleges churn out guys pro ready more often at that position. Playing linebacker, guard and defensive tackle doesn't change as much as safety, wr or rb in a weird and wonderful only works in college scheme.

When you get down to it in the scheme of things the team massively outplayed their talent level last year and still had some major flaws. It was easier to add good players who were pro ready and roll with stop gap solutions but its no longer the case where taking the bpa pro ready prospect is the beat strategy.

I know drafting for need is fraught with danger but the team is at that point where they could build a really effective roster or flounder in that in contention for the divison but not much else.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

They need someone to compliment Kenneth Dixon (who is not an every down back) and West isn't a long term solution. Pumphrey is real good.

Is he, though? Better/more upside than Buck Allen?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Doltos posted:

I still maintain that Osweiler needed more years experience before starting. When he was drafted out of ASU he needed to go back for another year before going to the pros to sit for a year. Instead he left early, sat for a year, started, then got into FA. So by my calendar last year should have been his first full starting year after purely absorbing experience from the bench and practice. I think he performed pretty lovely by 'rookie' standards but still has promise. I mean he can zing some passes. Watson just screams undersized Geno Smith to me.

Osweiler has zero touch on the ball, rockets it at 100 mph on checkdowns, and can't read a defense either presnap or during the play. I watched him all season, I've seen him miss open receivers because he can't progress through his reads, panics and throws to someone in double coverage. He's accurate when he has a completely clean pocket with space to step into his throw and I mean a ton of space, but the second he's on the move or throwing without stepping into it there's no way of knowing where the ball is headed

Also he's 6'7 and has his passes batted down fairly regularly lol

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
In this mock draft, the Texans pass on Deshaun Watson. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000779541/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-10-senior-bowl-effect-on-first-round

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If the Titans draft Peppers I'll riot. What a reach.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Rotoworld posted:

Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer both possess franchise quarterback talent, but Watson's accuracy, mechanics, and durability are seen as concerns while Kizer got benched in 2016 and is expected to face questions about his passion for football. Trubisky made only 13 college starts, sitting his first two years behind non-prospect Marquise Williams at North Carolina. Needless to say, it's a weak quarterback class.

Can't wait to see which one the Browns waste that #1 on because idiots demand the Browns draft one this year or everyone's fired.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Browns are gonna take Garrett #1.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Donnell Pumphrey is awesome and I'd love for him to go to a good, well run organization.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How the gently caress can you be a franchise QB without accuracy, durability, and solid mechanics?

I think Rodgers is the only one who has revamped his mechanics

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How the gently caress can you be a franchise QB without accuracy, durability, and solid mechanics?

I think Rodgers is the only one who has revamped his mechanics

I can think of a bunch of players who improved mediocre deliveries (Stafford and Dalton, Bortles before he regressed again maybe?) It seems like average players improve to be good a lot more often than bad QBs becoming average.

And it can all Delhomme at any moment.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Demon Of The Fall posted:

If the Titans draft Peppers I'll riot. What a reach.

Agreed. Also I thought you were talking about the later pick but they have it at 5 which is even more of a reach! 100 percent sure they were gonna say 'uh yeah Troy palomalu?'

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Maybe they'll look better at the Combine, but man, this is the weakest QB crop I can remember in a long time. Godspeed to whatever team jumps on the Trubisky grenade in the top 5.

E: To be clear, there are a lot of QBs I find interesting this year, but only in the sense of "draft in the 2nd/3rd round and see what happens," not "take top-5 and stake your job on him."

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 27, 2017

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

swickles posted:

I will never not read his name as anything but Analzone.
Me too, buddy. Me too.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Flikken posted:

Kind of like when we were supposed to trade a 1st for Mallet every year he was on the Pats roster?

yeah it was a huge miss for the browns to add another QB to the long list of failures.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

i did not in fact think he was a genius.

Yeah I remember you disliked him but it did work for an entire year, until we ran into the best defense in a long time in the Super Bowl. I'm not sure it wouldn't have worked again this year too, but injuries on the OL, lack of attention to replacing our tackles since Jordan Gross retired, and Cam regressing and not fixing his mechanics...

I wouldn't mind Fournette at 8 but I'm not sure RB is the best value there. Except no one is very high on any of the LTs, so unless a pass rusher or corner falls to us I'm not sure we won't go with Fournette. He fits the offense perfectly, whereas Cook is a better fit for today's NFL offenses, so I think he may go ahead of Fournette. I'm also not sure that we would target a corner at #8. We drafted three corners last year and while we only saw limited game film from them, the coaches got to see them in practice every day. Our staff might be high on those guys, even if they looked a bit shaky on the field.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm so conflicted about fournette. It would be nice to have a generational running back if that's what he turns out to be, BUUUUUT there are so many other needs and he's injured all the time. If we could trade down Ramczyk would be a hell of a pick if available. Also the consensus among press people and apparently the staff is that the corner situation is fine and still improving in Carolina. They won't go with a corner at 8. Better to take an excellent safety if either Hooker or Adams are available if they decide to go the secondary route. I could also see them going with Mike Williams since it looks like Kelvin might be losing his luster.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm so conflicted about fournette. It would be nice to have a generational running back if that's what he turns out to be, BUUUUUT there are so many other needs and he's injured all the time.

Fournette had a high ankle sprain this year that he kept trying to play through and re-injuring, but he didn't have any injury issues his first two years.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah I remember you disliked him but it did work for an entire year, until we ran into the best defense in a long time in the Super Bowl. I'm not sure it wouldn't have worked again this year too, but injuries on the OL, lack of attention to replacing our tackles since Jordan Gross retired, and Cam regressing and not fixing his mechanics...

I wouldn't mind Fournette at 8 but I'm not sure RB is the best value there. Except no one is very high on any of the LTs, so unless a pass rusher or corner falls to us I'm not sure we won't go with Fournette. He fits the offense perfectly, whereas Cook is a better fit for today's NFL offenses, so I think he may go ahead of Fournette. I'm also not sure that we would target a corner at #8. We drafted three corners last year and while we only saw limited game film from them, the coaches got to see them in practice every day. Our staff might be high on those guys, even if they looked a bit shaky on the field.

You do realize that Shula has been there for more than just the past two years. There are plenty of mediocre coordinators that have had a flash in the pan good year. Last year, your offense regressed back to the mean.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sataere posted:

You do realize that Shula has been there for more than just the past two years. There are plenty of mediocre coordinators that have had a flash in the pan good year. Last year, your offense regressed back to the mean.

Shula is definitely a big part of the problem, most notably he seems to be incapable of changing game plans and adjusting during games, like at all.

The argument can also be made however that several players turning into pumpkins like Tolbert and Ginn and the entire offensive line dying and their replacements sucking hard, Cam playing through injuries etc were also contributing factors.

As bad as Shula is, the team could be competitive if they closed some of the gaping holes in the team at Tackle and improved some pieces in the run game.

There isn't just one issue in Carolina offensively.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

BlindSite posted:

Shula is definitely a big part of the problem, most notably he seems to be incapable of changing game plans and adjusting during games, like at all.

The argument can also be made however that several players turning into pumpkins like Tolbert and Ginn and the entire offensive line dying and their replacements sucking hard, Cam playing through injuries etc were also contributing factors.

As bad as Shula is, the team could be competitive if they closed some of the gaping holes in the team at Tackle and improved some pieces in the run game.

There isn't just one issue in Carolina offensively.

I'm not saying he is. The biggest issue is you are still churning over that roster. The fact that you were relying on Tolbert and Ginn is part of the problem.

But Shula has only really had one good year and is a significant part of the problems over there. What talent has he really developed?

Granted, my point of view is from a distance, so I could be way off.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ted Ginn is ideally their deep threat, but he was more like the number one receiver last year because teams went out of their way to stop olsen, or he had to stay in to block, and kelvin is just total trash. For what it's worth, some autist on the panthers reddit gif'd almost every funchess play and he was just running all over the field wide open. He was just always the third or fourth read and cam never got there.

Tolbert got old and useless overnight. By the time it happened, their only depth was fozzy and Cameron artis Payne who turns out to suck.

As far as talent he's developed, I would say none since he's not really a position coach or had any playing experience. He did engineer one of the best seasons for a qb ever, although with a strategy that probably took three seasons off his career. Shula just useless but he and Rivera are tied to the hip.

If they're going to overdraft an offensive player I'd rather it be OJ Howard. Just get some stacked tight end who can help with blocking and stretch the field.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's even harder to draft a tight end than it is a WR

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's even harder to draft a tight end than it is a WR

In my experience this is incorrect. The Chiefs are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the panthers have been playing 1970s steelers football since their inception, and as such have never given a poo poo about the tight end position.

Seriously, their highest draft pick on a te was a third on mike seidman in 2003.

He sucked.

Also I guess they drafted Gary barnidge but fox hated him cause he couldn't block.

• Locked thread