Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've only ever read Heroes of the Equinox, but I really enjoyed it. Actually, it probably had a decent amount to do with my tastes in comics since I found it in the school library and of course had to read it because I'd finished all the Asterix and there were titties in it. I don't recall it being particularly wordy, but there were definitely ideas behind it that it wanted to explore more than just being an action space-opera. One of the things that stuck with me was the cool lettering the alien heroes had for their own languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zachack posted:

Sort of a crosspost from the digital comics thread but Comixology has all(?) of Valerian on sale right now for a pretty good price - I think the cart shows around $75 for the whole thing. Any opinions on the series?
If you're reading the american version you're probably reading the censored version. That being said, it's a pretty fun comic and enormously influential.

quote:

e (I've been reading an old Bilal short comic and it seems super-rooted in something that has not aged), and sometimes obnoxiously "whimsical".
I wouldn't classify even early Bilal as "whimsical" (stories like the Black Order Brigade and the Hunting Party are early BIlal and as far from obnoxiously "whimsical" as you can get). But his stories keep getting better and his art are so good that you don't even have to care much about the stories (but you absolutely should).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Alhazred posted:

If you're reading the american version you're probably reading the censored version. That being said, it's a pretty fun comic and enormously influential.

I wouldn't classify even early Bilal as "whimsical" (stories like the Black Order Brigade and the Hunting Party are early BIlal and as far from obnoxiously "whimsical" as you can get). But his stories keep getting better and his art are so good that you don't even have to care much about the stories (but you absolutely should).

I haven't read any of it, and don't know if the comixology versions are censored.

And I wasn't referring to Bilal as whimsical, that was a separate issue.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Teenage Fansub posted:

ell, if you took away all the villains who were originally sexual predators, there wouldn't be any Teen Titan bad guys left to use!
I mean technically in the comics Doctor Light was just an ineffectual Justice League villain starting in 1962, then sort of got adopted as the ineffectual Teen Titans villain with the idea that maybe he couldn't stop the adults, but teenagers wouldn't stand a chance. He kept on losing to progressively weaker teams/characters until he was literally defeated by non-superhero children in a backup story.

Then in the 1980s he joined the Suicide Squad because he wanted to actually succeed at something and be liked, but instead he just ends up dying.

Then he comes back in the 1990s as a being of pure light who is mad at having been a joke and then dying and no one really caring.

*THEN* from 2006-2010 Brad Meltzer/Dan DiDio/etc. decide to retcon that he was originally a vicious murderer and rapist who got brain damaged in an attempted brainwashing which is why he kept losing to the Teen Titans. Now that his memory is restored, he really likes raping people AND he wants to rape teenagers. Then he dies yet again.

Then he hasn't been a rapist in any of the weird N52/cartoon/etc. versions, so he's really only been a sexual predator for about five years late in his 50+ year existence as a fictional character. It's *probably* something they could politely pave over with enough time/effort.

Deathstroke though

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Edge & Christian posted:

Then he hasn't been a rapist in any of the weird N52/cartoon/etc. versions, so he's really only been a sexual predator for about five years late in his 50+ year existence as a fictional character. It's *probably* something they could politely pave over with enough time/effort.

Yeah, and eventually people will stop calling Hank Pym a wife beater.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's still the same Hank Pym so you're not wrong to still call him that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The difference is Hank Pym was defined very early on as the dude who hit his wife, if he'd just been a superhero for a few decades and then someone wrote a story where he hit his wife, it wouldn't be such a defining moment. Like how nobody primarily thinks of Wolverine as a caveman with no nose despite that being a thing for about as long as Dr. Light was a rapist.

But it's DC so it's just a matter of time until he's raping someone or having his arm ripped off by the hot new villain Dr. Rape

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

purple death ray posted:

The difference is Hank Pym was defined very early on as the dude who hit his wife, if he'd just been a superhero for a few decades and then someone wrote a story where he hit his wife, it wouldn't be such a defining moment. Like how nobody primarily thinks of Wolverine as a caveman with no nose despite that being a thing for about as long as Dr. Light was a rapist.

But it's DC so it's just a matter of time until he's raping someone or having his arm ripped off by the hot new villain Dr. Rape

Yeah, Peter Parker has hit Mary Jane (and she was pregnant at the time) as many times as Han Pym hit Janet, but no one talks about that because it happened during the 90's. Also during The Clone Saga, so I think most of the people who read it have also suppressed it from their minds.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

purple death ray posted:

I mean "very early on" = "nearly twenty years after his debut and after over 200 issues of Avengers where he was a pretty consisent member" so it really was after him being "just a superhero" for a long time, but even past that they wrote a long drawn out redemption/reconciliation arc over several years and it really WAS more or less a buried thing kind of like Noseless Bone Claw Devolved Wolverine.

Then the Ultimates basically reintroduced the original Avengers to a new generation and they amplified the poo poo out of "Hank Pym, Wifebeater" and then the mainline Marvel Universe re-prosecuted that moment at least three times in the course of a decade so yes, it became his defining thing.

It's kind of like how a lot of people still look at the sort of DO YOU THINK THIS A STANDS FOR FRANCE? Ultimates version of cranky old man Cap and think that is the traditional/main version of Captain America, except at least Steve Rogers has a bunch of movies and the very popular Ed Brubaker run to serve as counterbalance/direct repudiation of that version of the character, but Hank Pym doesn't have any of that because no one is reading 1980s Roger Stern/Steve Englehart Avengers (or the Clone Saga for Wife Beatin' Pete, or Ostrander Suicide Squad for rape-free Doctor Light)

On the other hand, more people have watched Teen Titans Go than have read Identity Crisis (or subsequent DC One Year Greater stories) or have read the Judas Contract for that matter, so it's possible that Dr Light and Deathstroke's sex crimes that have been essentially retconned away could fade.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 26, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aphrodite posted:

It's still the same Hank Pym so you're not wrong to still call him that.
The original Hank was shot into the sun and wiped out of existence during Secret Wars.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well "Hank Pym: Wifebeater" was a well worn joke back in Wizard in the early 90s so I don't think you can blame the ultimate universe on that one. I think it's more that Hank is a lovely character with little to no personality beyond "nerd, can't stick with a superhero identity, hits his wife". So that's all anybody remembers about him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At the time that Peter hit MJ he wasn't the "real" Peter and it was part of the plan to tarnish Pete and put Ben in his place.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have disgustingly seen quite a few blame Terra for Deathstroke having sex with her, so at this point I'd rather forget about that aspect of both characters entirely along with the rest of New Teen Titans' use of rape.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean technically in the comics Doctor Light was just an ineffectual Justice League villain starting in 1962, then sort of got adopted as the ineffectual Teen Titans villain with the idea that maybe he couldn't stop the adults, but teenagers wouldn't stand a chance. He kept on losing to progressively weaker teams/characters until he was literally defeated by non-superhero children in a backup story.

Then in the 1980s he joined the Suicide Squad because he wanted to actually succeed at something and be liked, but instead he just ends up dying.

Then he comes back in the 1990s as a being of pure light who is mad at having been a joke and then dying and no one really caring.

*THEN* from 2006-2010 Brad Meltzer/Dan DiDio/etc. decide to retcon that he was originally a vicious murderer and rapist who got brain damaged in an attempted brainwashing which is why he kept losing to the Teen Titans. Now that his memory is restored, he really likes raping people AND he wants to rape teenagers. Then he dies yet again.

Deathstroke though

I thought according the Suicide Squad Dr. Light was originally a hero but then someone killed the original hero and used the Dr. Light stuff to become a villain (who ends up getting haunted by the original hero Dr. Light).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Rhyno posted:

At the time that Peter hit MJ he wasn't the "real" Peter and it was part of the plan to tarnish Pete and put Ben in his place.
Weird how nobody brings up that Hank was in the middle of a full-blown mental breakdown to excuse him doing it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The reason is that Peter is one of the most popular superheroes ever and Hank is a B-lister at best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I can name like 5 incredibly iconic things Peter did in the Ditko/Lee run alone, Hank has done 2 iconic things in 50 years and one of them was beating the poo poo out of his wife.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If anyone reads the latest Saga and doesn't feel anything, they are officially dead. Like probably have no heartbeat or pulse, which leads me to question on they read the comic in the first place.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I can name like 5 incredibly iconic things Peter did in the Ditko/Lee run alone, Hank has done 2 iconic things in 50 years and one of them was beating the poo poo out of his wife.

What is the other thing? Ultron, right?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

purple death ray posted:

Well "Hank Pym: Wifebeater" was a well worn joke back in Wizard in the early 90s so I don't think you can blame the ultimate universe on that one. I think it's more that Hank is a lovely character with little to no personality beyond "nerd, can't stick with a superhero identity, hits his wife". So that's all anybody remembers about him.
Wizard was pretty chock full of overused frat boy jokes, and somehow perception has moved past how a lot of characters have costumes that make them look like homos and that Squirrel Girl/Detective Chimp/Kilowog/etc are lovely Morts of the Month and that the only real Luke Cage is a jive talking honky-hatin' disco demon. I'm sure people would remember the Hank Pym story without Ultimates, but Ultimates really cemented it.

Also Hank Pym isn't a lovely personality free character at all but again, there are literally tons of characters that had good stories told about them, fell into disuse/misuse, were treated like jokes, and then rehabbed in the 21st century. It's about half of Marvel's line-up right now. If you asked most fans prior to Marvel Knights (which was basically Marvel's first concerted attempt to elevate b/c-listers) the vast majority of them would either barely recognize the following characters or think they were kind of lovely characters with little to no personality besides [something really reductive]:

Black Panther
Luke Cage
Misty Knight
Sam Wilson
Carol Danvers
Sam Wilson
Doctor Strange
Patsy Walker
Moon Knight
Hercules
Iron Fist
Vision
Namor
Mockingbird
James Rhodes
Monica Rambeau
Sunspot
Squirrel Girl
literally anyone from Guardians of the Galaxy

There were also plenty of other characters who had lovely recent comic books that probably 'ruined' them forever in the lens of the late 1990s: Deadpool, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc. but those mostly fall under the "no one remembers noseless Wolverine" clause.

But lo and behold one or more writers decided that maybe they cared about these characters and now some of them are at least mildly popular?

Madkal posted:

I thought according the Suicide Squad Dr. Light was originally a hero but then someone killed the original hero and used the Dr. Light stuff to become a villain (who ends up getting haunted by the original hero Dr. Light).
That was a retcon in Suicide Squad, yes. But that "first" "good" Doctor Light never actually appeared in any stories prior to having been revealed as a ghost years later.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 26, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

That was a retcon in Suicide Squad, yes. But that "first" "good" Doctor Light never actually appeared in any stories prior to having been revealed as a ghost years later.

Thanks for the clarification. Just read that issue recently and thought it made for a humourous origin story.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

purple death ray posted:

What is the other thing? Ultron, right?
Yeah, Ultron.

Didn't Nu52 do a thing where Dr. Light was a good guy without powers or something, and then he got powers and died but came back but was still a good guy?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was a good guy recruited into Amanda Waller's secret anti-Justice League League and got his head melted off by Superman, who was set off by having a female Atom (secretly from the evil Earth 3) stomping around, tugging things in his brain.
Then we got Forever Evil :toot:

He stayed dead.

I think he had a wife he kept mentioning, so I expected her to take over, but it didn't happen.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

purple death ray posted:

The difference is Hank Pym was defined very early on as the dude who hit his wife, if he'd just been a superhero for a few decades and then someone wrote a story where he hit his wife, it wouldn't be such a defining moment.

Hank Pym has been around since before Avengers #1 in 1963.

Hank hit Janet in Avengers 213 in 1981.

Did Hank beat the poo poo out of Janet in the Ultimates? Because in 213 it was a backhand that left her with a blackeye. I don't think that counts as beating the poo poo out of someone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Let's discuss granularities in domestic violence itt

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Perpetrators of domestic violence (no need for granularities) in the Marvel Universe:

Hank Pym
Peter Parker
Wolverine
Reed Richards
Susan Storm/Richards
Johnny Storm
Ben Grimm
Clint Barton
Matt Murdock
Tony Stark
Thor Odinson
Luke Cage
probably everyone

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Heathen posted:

Did Hank beat the poo poo out of Janet in the Ultimates? Because in 213 it was a backhand that left her with a blackeye. I don't think that counts as beating the poo poo out of someone.

In Ultimates he repeatedly beat and tortured her, getting the ants involved when she shrunk to hide from him. This is because Mark Millar wrote it.

In regular continuity he gave her a black eye, and that's enough of a beating for me.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

List of murderous "superheroes":

Punisher
Wolverine
Hawkeye
Deadpool
Spider-Man
Superman
Wonder Woman
Thanos
etc

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Edge & Christian posted:

Perpetrators of domestic violence (no need for granularities) in the Marvel Universe:

Hank Pym
Peter Parker
Wolverine
Reed Richards
Susan Storm/Richards
Johnny Storm
Ben Grimm
Clint Barton
Matt Murdock
Tony Stark
Thor Odinson
Luke Cage
probably everyone

The sixties was a different, terrible time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

List of murderous "superheroes":

Punisher
Wolverine
Hawkeye
Deadpool
Spider-Man
Superman
Wonder Woman
Thanos
etc

Killing and murder are different things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

A local "man" has announced intends to sue various public places in town because they will not allow him to wear his full Batman costume on their property. He has been asked to remove his mask at theaters, malls, banks, stores etc. Why is he suing?

Because he identifies as Batman and thus feels he should be allowed to be Batman wherever he goes. He's also 100% serious and 100% out of his loving mind.

Is he trying to review what being Batman is like, and has to go to a divorce hearing?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Heathen posted:

Hank Pym has been around since before Avengers #1 in 1963.

Hank hit Janet in Avengers 213 in 1981.

Halfway through the incredibly popular (at the time) first volume of Ultimates, yeah. The issue was titled Giant Man vs the Wasp.

:nms: Unironic trigger warning for severe spousal abuse/domestic violence: :nms:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know why, but the pesticide part is what disturbs me the most to think about in that scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate Mark Millar.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I hate Mark Millar.

Better or worse than Dan Slott?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Better or worse than Dan Slott?

About even.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Between this and what happens with Blob and the whole Pietro/Wanda situation I'm still fine with not reading anything from the Ultimate line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

Between this and what happens with Blob and the whole Pietro/Wanda situation I'm still fine with not reading anything from the Ultimate line.

That was Jeph Loeb who seems to have recovered from being a shithead.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Christ that scene is so loving gross

And you know millar was actually enjoying writing that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's not just the physical abuse, either—Pym serves up a cornucopia of deplorable poo poo there. He starts by basically slut-shaming; then tells her that being a minority is shameful and she had god drat well hope she can keep passing; then hits her for not respecting him enough; then, after his "oh no, I never meant to, baby darling let me help" fails, he accuses her of starting the fight; and, moreover, that she always does starts the fights (but "ends up worse" from them).

On a technical level, it's actually an impressively authentic depiction of an abusive, controlling husband/partner. I have no loving idea why anyone thought it was a good thing to put in a goddamn Avengers comic, but there you go.

• Locked thread