Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

the popular kids posted:

Thanks for the suggestions for my dry skin earlier. Vitamin E oil seems to be the winner.

Next question:

Mosquitos love me. They loving LOVE me. I am the person you bring with you on a picnic to lure them away from you. Last summer I went for a one hour walk and then counted the mosquito bites on my clothed legs. There was over a hundred. I don't live in the jungle. I live in the God drat prairies. They turn into huge itchy bumps and I look awful.

I've tried almost everything. Covered myself in every chemical know to man. Changed soaps, deodorants, clothing.

Do those mosquito patches work at all?

I'm just glad I don't live in an area where mosquito borne diseases are common.

They love me too and I tend to visit a lot of countries with them. How I don't have a mosquito borne disease is a miracle considering I've been bitten in several Asian countries and Pacific Islands.
Seconding the advice that you need a mosquito repellent that has minimum 80% DEET, anything less just won't cut it. Also you can buy outdoor clothes that have repellents in the fabric. Wear long sleeves and trousers and make sure you apply plenty of repellent around your ankles, wrists, neckline and waist! I also needed to apply repellent to my face as I found I got bit on my cheek when the little bastards couldn't get me anywhere else.
Another tip is to take antihistamines as the reaction to bites is an allergic reaction, so taking those lessens your bodies response to them and really helps. It takes about 2 weeks for the antihistamines to build up in your body so plan accordingly. Also do NOT scratch under any circumstances, once you start scratching it just makes it worse. Try slapping or rubbing any bites you get. The itchiness in the bites lessens after about a day as long as you don't scratch it initially. Your own saliva also lessens the itch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm going to get a suit custom-tailored for the first time ever. What should I ask about / for in particular? Is there anything I should know as a matter of preference rather than something that has a uniform "correct" answer? Should I just trust my tailor to know what to do?

There's a suit-specific thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522719

Probably the best condensed bit of information on suit fit and tailoring I've ever seen.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIg3Lb7AiQs

Are the drums actually providing the beat used in the song or it it post-processing magic? It don't look like the shirtless aryan slave drummers are hitting them with a lot of force.

They are synthesized. Most of the song is pre-recorded.

You can actually see the big guy missing a beat around 3:10 :v:

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
I'm installing a light and the item pictured below doesn't cover up the hole in the ceiling of the previous light I had. I was told it's called a canopy but I can't find poo poo on amazon. Is that what it's called? The canopy I have is 8 inches and I need a white one that is either 9 or 10 inches. Anyone a better googler than me?

http://imgur.com/a/mUaY7

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Namarrgon posted:

There's a suit-specific thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522719

Probably the best condensed bit of information on suit fit and tailoring I've ever seen.

Thank you, this is perfect.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I know I'm able get a gift certificate for my friends to register an account however is there a way I could favorite specific threads in advance?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tab8715 posted:

I know I'm able get a gift certificate for my friends to register an account however is there a way I could favorite specific threads in advance?

Not unless you actually registered the account and logged in for him.

The best thing to do is probably to send a list of links through email and then he can favorite them.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I'm about to buy some blurays from FamilyVideo. If the online store says "New" under Product Condition, that really means it's a sealed, brand new copy right?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

kolby posted:

I'm installing a light and the item pictured below doesn't cover up the hole in the ceiling of the previous light I had. I was told it's called a canopy but I can't find poo poo on amazon. Is that what it's called? The canopy I have is 8 inches and I need a white one that is either 9 or 10 inches. Anyone a better googler than me?

http://imgur.com/a/mUaY7

Ceiling Medallion. They come in various diameters and you can paint them. Home Depot and Lowes have them if you have those stores around.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Disharmony posted:

I'm about to buy some blurays from FamilyVideo. If the online store says "New" under Product Condition, that really means it's a sealed, brand new copy right?

Since they seem to have a used section, then yes New means new and sealed. Used means open and used.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What's the origin of the "This kills the x" meme?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mak0rz posted:

What's the origin of the "This kills the x" meme?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-kills-the-crab

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That was quick. Thanks!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"In 1995, Alpha's earnings from product sales and from services were 10% and 90% respectively. In 2005, however, XX."

I'm trying to say the proportions had essentially been switched: product sales constituted 90% and services constituted 10%. What's an elegant way to phrase this?

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

There's a quote from a film or a tv show which is like:

'You won't be able to say you weren't told.'

or

'You won't be able to say nobody told you.'

Like a character is laying down some truth to another character and making it clear that this other character knows what is going on and has no excuses. Any idea what I'm thinking of here?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

an overdue owl posted:

There's a quote from a film or a tv show which is like:

'You won't be able to say you weren't told.'

or

'You won't be able to say nobody told you.'

Like a character is laying down some truth to another character and making it clear that this other character knows what is going on and has no excuses. Any idea what I'm thinking of here?

"Can't say I didn't warn you"? Not sure what it would be from though, afaik it's just a common expression.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

El Jeffe posted:

"Can't say I didn't warn you"? Not sure what it would be from though, afaik it's just a common expression.

It's a really common expression which makes it so hard to search for. It's probably been used a lot of times. There is this specific instance I'm thinking of when someone tells someones something and then says they're doing it so the other person can't say they weren't warned. This might be an impossible query because it's so common.

edit: i found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0lx2GUqFkg&t=228s

an overdue owl fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 26, 2017

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Vegetable posted:

"In 1995, Alpha's earnings from product sales and from services were 10% and 90% respectively. In 2005, however, XX."

I'm trying to say the proportions had essentially been switched: product sales constituted 90% and services constituted 10%. What's an elegant way to phrase this?

"In 2005 these percentages were reversed" works and seems clear.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

"In 2005 these percentages were reversed" works and seems clear.

"By 2005" perhaps, so as not to imply that something drastic happened in 2005.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What would be the best way to send money from Romania to Spain? Only $100 or so.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Busy Bee posted:

What would be the best way to send money from Romania to Spain? Only $100 or so.

PayPal it?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
In Windows, I need to make about 138 subfolders. I have the list of what these names are in an Excel spreadsheet. Is there any easy way of saying, Hey you, computer, look at this loving list and make me a subfolder for each name?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If nothing else, you can copy/paste everything up to the deepest folder in the command prompt, ie 'mkdir bob\jim' will create both the bob and the jim folder under it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

credburn posted:

In Windows, I need to make about 138 subfolders. I have the list of what these names are in an Excel spreadsheet. Is there any easy way of saying, Hey you, computer, look at this loving list and make me a subfolder for each name?
I'd basically make a new column prefixing the folder names with md (and put the folder name between quotes probably) and copy the contents of that to a batch file.

Something like:

="md """&A1&""""

If the folder names don't go down to drive letter, then they will be created as subfolders of the folder the batch file is run in, I think.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I want a camera for checking out my house when I'm not home - I don't need to save video, or review earlier footage, I just want a dumb camera that shows me what's up, like if I want to make sure the cats aren't eating each other. Nest Cam looks awesome, but it's expensive as hell. I want a cheap alternative and I want to do it in a way that won't have some rear end in a top hat hacking into it, seeing as how I know nothing about network security. Thoughts?

Example: Oco Home. Anybody use it?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 26, 2017

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You could get a cheap webcam, hook it to a computer that you leave running with a window open showing the cam feed, and then run a server of something like VNC on that computer. Get a VNC viewer client on your phone or work pc and connect to it to look. VNC can be set up to be quite secure, read up on it. That's how I'd probably do a hacky DIY home cam without getting too crazy technical.

That being said, if you have an internet connected camera in your house, you must not assume it's hack proof no matter how secure. Cover it up or disconnect it when you're home.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sounds like you want a webcam

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Recently I've heard people saying "you can't laugh at the same joke twice" and "you can't laugh at the same joke over and over, so why keep crying over the same thing?"

... I read the same jokes and listen to comedians again and still laugh at the jokes. If I have something constantly repeating I'll get tired of it after a while, but after a break I'll enjoy it again just as much. That being said, I really love new jokes too, and they are a little more fun the first time. I understand why some, perhaps most people don't like repeated humor, but I still genuinely enjoy ancient memes like All Your Base.

Until everyone started saying those phrases I mentioned I didn't think much about it, figuring I was just in a slight minority of people who enjoy repeated humor (and I don't subject others to repeat humor because I've always felt that it was best practice to use new jokes because I already knew that a majority of people weren't fond of it). Is enjoying repeated jokes and memes significantly beyond the majority indicative of some sort of character flaw or something? Should I be concerned about it?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

just lol if you don't rewatch the best episodes of the Simpsons (seasons 2-9 obv) and laugh every time despite knowing them by heart

(no you're not weird and that's a dumb truism/proverb/whatever)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

CrazySalamander posted:

Recently I've heard people saying "you can't laugh at the same joke twice" and "you can't laugh at the same joke over and over, so why keep crying over the same thing?"

... I read the same jokes and listen to comedians again and still laugh at the jokes. If I have something constantly repeating I'll get tired of it after a while, but after a break I'll enjoy it again just as much. That being said, I really love new jokes too, and they are a little more fun the first time. I understand why some, perhaps most people don't like repeated humor, but I still genuinely enjoy ancient memes like All Your Base.

Until everyone started saying those phrases I mentioned I didn't think much about it, figuring I was just in a slight minority of people who enjoy repeated humor (and I don't subject others to repeat humor because I've always felt that it was best practice to use new jokes because I already knew that a majority of people weren't fond of it). Is enjoying repeated jokes and memes significantly beyond the majority indicative of some sort of character flaw or something? Should I be concerned about it?

There are several kinds of joke. Many jokes rely on surprise/contravention of expectation in order to be humorous. Those are the kinds of jokes that aren't funny to hear twice. If you find that kind of joke funny over and over, yeah you have some kind of weird brain problem.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jeza posted:

There are several kinds of joke. Many jokes rely on surprise/contravention of expectation in order to be humorous. Those are the kinds of jokes that aren't funny to hear twice. If you find that kind of joke funny over and over, yeah you have some kind of weird brain problem.

It's still funny to me that Bart is familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ras Het posted:

As is Homer's surprisingly extensive knowledge of Iranian politics

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How would life on earth be different if the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere were higher, say 30-35%?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Ras Het posted:

alnilam posted:

As is Homer's surprisingly extensive knowledge of Iranian politics

Yeah but both of these are more related to absurdity/incongruity. It's more the case where if you know the punchline in advance, it isn't funny - so long as it was only funny in the first place because it was a surprise or unexpected. I only vaguely recall stuff on the theory of humour, but the idea is you can't make a funny joke where the punchline is revealed in advance during the joke itself.

If you've ever seen somebody spoil a joke by messing up and prefiguring or mentioning the punchline too early, then attempting to re-tell the joke, you'll know you can't laugh at it (but you might laugh at them).

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

How would life on earth be different if the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere were higher, say 30-35%?

I don't know the specific proportion but I do know that there did used to be a lot more oxygen back in the age of dinosaurs, which is what allowed them to get so big, among other megafauna.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mister Kingdom posted:

Bigger plants bigger bugs

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's difficult to say. Many people like to say that it results in bigger creatures, but that isn't necessarily true.

wikipedia posted:

the biological basis for this correlation is not firm, and many lines of evidence show that oxygen concentration is not size-limiting in modern insects.[9] There is no significant correlation between atmospheric oxygen and maximum body size elsewhere in the geological record.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jackpot posted:

I want a camera for checking out my house when I'm not home - I don't need to save video, or review earlier footage, I just want a dumb camera that shows me what's up, like if I want to make sure the cats aren't eating each other. Nest Cam looks awesome, but it's expensive as hell. I want a cheap alternative and I want to do it in a way that won't have some rear end in a top hat hacking into it, seeing as how I know nothing about network security. Thoughts?

Cheap can be done, but you'd have to do all the setup yourself. I have a couple of cheapass IP cameras (foscam clones) that are connected to my home wi-fi. They have built-in webservers, so when I'm at home, I can just point a browser at their local IPs. For accessing from outside, I do an SSH tunnel from my Android phone (via ConnectBot or SSH Autotunnel or something similar) to a computer at home, then point a camera app (I like one called IP Cam Viewer Basic) through a couple of forwarded ports that go to the cams.

So yeah, basically it comes down to a choice between "cheap as hell but you kind of have to be an IT nerd" vs. "can be set up by mere mortals, but you'll pay extra for it". If you happen to know any Linux sysadmins, or maybe a YOSPOSter, they could probably help.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'd basically make a new column prefixing the folder names with md (and put the folder name between quotes probably) and copy the contents of that to a batch file.

Something like:

="md """&A1&""""

If the folder names don't go down to drive letter, then they will be created as subfolders of the folder the batch file is run in, I think.

Worked perfectly! Thanks for saving me from an hour and a half of tedium!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to get gmail to filter messages that have a specific incoming address format?

For instance, filter mango.steen@gmail but leave mangosteen@gmail alone.