Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Wait. What?

Supposedly there's a way to split the damage there instead of just sacrificing whoever gets the marker. I've never seen the shared damage thing succeed.

Dying in that phase doesn't matter, so I figured the mechanic was just a trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Supposedly there's a way to split the damage there instead of just sacrificing whoever gets the marker. I've never seen the shared damage thing succeed.

Dying in that phase doesn't matter, so I figured the mechanic was just a trick.

You line up between the first demiurge and the target, with the tankiest people closest to the demiurge. Off-tank, melee, ranged, healers, in that order. If done properly, everyone lives with plenty of time to heal up for the limit break.

We've done this successfully twice. It's not worth the effort.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Axle_Stukov posted:

"be near the boss so you can get inside the eye of the storm AOE and not at loving max range" is what trips most of the pugs up.
This, and every other boss so far in there is a complete cakewalk even for a PUG, so they just assume they can muddle through it and get carried and whoops, everyone's suddenly instagibbed because they stood at max range and didn't look away from the fear cast.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
poo poo we did that all the time. It's the exact same as T10. Maybe that's just my raider privilege showing, but that's a simple mechanic that we did all the time. Much simpler than having people get zombified.

Here's how you work in. One tank grabs the PLD and then helps DPS down the healer. The other tank takes the lancer away. We parked the ice circle in the bottom left. Lancer gets moved to just out and everyone stacks behind for his 270 attack. He's dead at the point then you focus the pld. Everyone is already at the bottom of the arena so whoever gets targeted just runs up and people stack in tanks up front and everyone else behind. It's really very easy and is a mechanic they've used before.

Zurvan Ex has the same mechanic but we just ignore it or living dead it because we're usually 5% or less at that point.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 27, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo we did that all the time. It's the exact same as Imdagud (t10). Maybe that's just my raider privilege showing, but that's a simple mechanic that we did all the time. Much simpler than having people get zombified.

Eight people having to hit spots in a specified order is not simpler than one person moving towards the boss and then typing "lol 11k crit" in chat.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As mentioned, not only was the mechanic used for Imdugud, but also for Thordex, right after meteors come down. :psyduck:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Eight people having to hit spots in a specified order is not simpler than one person moving towards the boss and then typing "lol 11k crit" in chat.

It's not in a specific order. One tank needs to get hit first. That's it. Everyone else can literally stack behind him. There's plenty of time for the MT and/or the OT to step in first and pop a cooldown while everyone else piles in behind. Melee can stay in range even.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'll agree there are some stupid mechanics in this game where its easier to just let someone die. Nisi in A4S and the various sacrifices in that fight. The water debuff in A8S during the final burn phase is another mechanic where its better to just sacrifice. Hell in some big fights where there's a single big hit and a bunch of people dead it's better for one person to just die. Final phase diablos hallow is a great example of where letting a solo person die is sometimes easier than dealing with trying to heal through the damage to four people.

That charge, though, isn't one of them.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As mentioned, not only was the mechanic used for Imdugud, but also for Thordex, right after meteors come down. :psyduck:

I have a solid 50 or so Sophia clears and have not ever cleared Thordan. I also did not raid in final coil when it was relevant content.

Granted, I also still completely understand how the mechanic works and thus Demon's Claw in Zurvan is a nonissue to the same degree, but I sincerely doubt my circumstances are/were unique in any way in regards to not having any real practical experience with the mechanic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The entire point though is that you don't die if you just eat that mechanic - you go to full health in fact! Most of the time the damage from the zombie's "attack" won't even crack a deployed normal adlo. (other than the occasional giant crit, but thats why I just deployed an adlo)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

The entire point though is that you don't die if you just eat that mechanic - you go to full health in fact! Most of the time the damage from the zombie's "attack" won't even crack a deployed normal adlo. (other than the occasional giant crit, but thats why I just deployed an adlo)

The issue that we noted when it was a healer targeted sometimes we might have trouble healing up for Sophia's limit break or someone gets knocked off as a result.

It's not a fight ending mechanic to ignore, you're right about that. But it is an extremely simple mechanic to execute, though.

Emalde posted:

I have a solid 50 or so Sophia clears and have not ever cleared Thordan. I also did not raid in final coil when it was relevant content.

Granted, I also still completely understand how the mechanic works and thus Demon's Claw in Zurvan is a nonissue to the same degree, but I sincerely doubt my circumstances are/were unique in any way in regards to not having any real practical experience with the mechanic.

That's why I started out my post saying that, but ultimately it's not really that hard of a mechanic if you actually know what to do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just healed a 65 minute Aurum Vale and I kind of never want to play this game again

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Still beats getting copperbell mines in the leveling roulette yet again.

Okay, not really.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Arist posted:

I just healed a 65 minute Aurum Vale and I kind of never want to play this game again

I almost never quit parties because of specific dungeons, but during any roulette you can bet that the first five minutes are a judgement call. In five minutes you can usually tell how the next 30 minutes are gonna go, and if "do anything else while a lockout timer counts down" is the more attractive option, then so be it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I almost never quit parties because of specific dungeons, but during any roulette you can bet that the first five minutes are a judgement call. In five minutes you can usually tell how the next 30 minutes are gonna go, and if "do anything else while a lockout timer counts down" is the preferable option, then so be it.

In retrospect, having to ask the tank to turn on Shield Oath should have been a warning sign, but I didn't want to judge! I've accidentally forgotten to do that before, and I don't think I'm a terrible tank! But then we get to the end where the tank is intentionally eating Bad Breaths so he doesn't have to move and then cleansing it by wasting a fruit and jesus christ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I almost never quit parties because of specific dungeons, but during any roulette you can bet that the first five minutes are a judgement call. In five minutes you can usually tell how the next 30 minutes are gonna go, and if "do anything else while a lockout timer counts down" is the more attractive option, then so be it.
AV especially has an incredibly telling first pull

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

aurumvale.jpg

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just "brb" and afk for 10 minutes so they kick you.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I feel like a huge selling point of this game and the thing that actually made me care enough about the game to stick with it is the awesome story moments and primal fights.. all of which you miss if the average player ends up skipping straight to the end of 3.56 via a potion. I feel like it might get more people on the ground playing but might actually result in less retention - without the cool content and story, this game doesn't stand out anywhere near as much. I'm just imagining someone whose entire FFXIV experience is immediately starting an anima grind and farming zurvan/alexander forever with an occasional side dose of 'who are these characters and why do i care what they are doing'. I can't imagine that person sticking around very long.

They don't need to do a cataclysm where they rewrite everything, they just need to cut out a lot of the most pointless chaff quests and clean up the main quest a bit. I know quite a few people who have played at some point and quit before actually getting to heavensward or even 50 because of all the time-wasting chore quests.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 27, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It makes good sense from a business standpoint though, Square gets the purchase price of the game and expansions up front, on top of the money from the person buying the levelup potion. If they price it similar to WOW it is comparable to buying the expac again in price to jump from level 1 to current content.

so:

$49.99 for the game, plus 49.99 for stormblood, add in the cost of the levelup potion ($40-50) is $150 before the person has even set foot in current stuff.

Comparatively, someone spends 49.99 on the game, 49.99 on stormblood, and then burns out halfway to heavensward 15-20 days in because grinding through Pre-HW MSQ sucks poo poo. SE loses a customer, and didn't make as much money anyways because the guy didn't sub past 1 month anyways.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

no bones about it posted:

It makes good sense from a business standpoint though, Square gets the purchase price of the game and expansions up front, on top of the money from the person buying the levelup potion. If they price it similar to WOW it is comparable to buying the expac again in price to jump from level 1 to current content.

so:

$49.99 for the game, plus 49.99 for stormblood, add in the cost of the levelup potion ($40-50) is $150 before the person has even set foot in current stuff.

Comparatively, someone spends 49.99 on the game, 49.99 on stormblood, and then burns out halfway to heavensward 15-20 days in because grinding through Pre-HW MSQ sucks poo poo. SE loses a customer, and didn't make as much money anyways because the guy didn't sub past 1 month anyways.

Yeah, I suppose the cost of the levelup potion outstrips any loss they'd have from the player not sticking around very long, but it doesn't sound like a very good strategy for long-term health of the game. Even with the potions released the game would benefit hugely from a streamlined leveling experience where you can experience the story and cool boss fights and dungeons with much less chaff in between.

Plus people would still buy levelup pots for their other jobs anyway.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The story in this game isn't horrible by mmo standards but it's so poorly paced and has so much filler that it can end up being an argument for the potion rather than against.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

The story in this game isn't horrible by mmo standards but it's so poorly paced and has so much filler that it can end up being an argument for the potion rather than against.

The story has enough great and entertaining moments to get you invested that you tolerate the filler and bad pacing. Unfortunately, most of them are after many hours of filler. I just think the potion is throwing the baby out with the bathwater - the endgame of ffxiv alone is not enough to keep me playing the game. I'd literally have never bought heavensward or resubbed if it wasn't for cool primals and cool story moments and cool cutscenes. Tomestone farming is just something to hold me over between content patches. I just hope they don't think the potion is the only thing they need to do and just leave it as is. Cleaning up 1-51 would dramatically improve newbie retention, I think.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So because reasons my push-to-talk key is =, but when I push this on a ground mount it dismounts me despite me being unable to find any such hotkey. Am I blind or is there another reason for this?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, I suppose the cost of the levelup potion outstrips any loss they'd have from the player not sticking around very long, but it doesn't sound like a very good strategy for long-term health of the game. Even with the potions released the game would benefit hugely from a streamlined leveling experience where you can experience the story and cool boss fights and dungeons with much less chaff in between.

Plus people would still buy levelup pots for their other jobs anyway.

I didn't say anything about the first person burning out. they've ostensibly caught up with his friends and will hopefully become a long subbing customer, as opposed to someone who gave up because they couldn't catch their friends before they gave up.

Sure they don't have as firm of a grasp on their class and job mechanics as someone who slogged through all that poo poo, but unless you're a complete MMO neophyte, the concept of skill rotations shouldn't be completely alien to you.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Verranicus posted:

So because reasons my push-to-talk key is =, but when I push this on a ground mount it dismounts me despite me being unable to find any such hotkey. Am I blind or is there another reason for this?

I know for quests with a mount, like the beast tribes, that button is used for the dismount. Maybe it relates to that? If so that's a pet bar key binding I believe. Otherwise I have that on the same binding as my draw and sheath weapon key but I don't know if that's by coincidence or me binding them both to the same key.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Yeah, check your keybind for draw/sheathe weapon (unless the bold part means = isn't bound at all).

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm just imagining someone whose entire FFXIV experience is immediately starting an anima grind and farming zurvan/alexander forever with an occasional side dose of 'who are these characters and why do i care what they are doing'. I can't imagine that person sticking around very long.

It's a good thing that this very situation won't happen. The proposed level-up or story-skip options outlined by Yoshi-P start out at the beginning of Heavensward, meaning new players still have to go through the level 50-60 content added with the expansion along with arguably some of the best writing in the game so far. If you're going to critique the concept, at least critique what the devs have proposed rather than some weak strawman.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Wolpertinger posted:

I feel like a huge selling point of this game and the thing that actually made me care enough about the game to stick with it is the awesome story moments and primal fights.. all of which you miss if the average player ends up skipping straight to the end of 3.56 via a potion. I feel like it might get more people on the ground playing but might actually result in less retention - without the cool content and story, this game doesn't stand out anywhere near as much. I'm just imagining someone whose entire FFXIV experience is immediately starting an anima grind and farming zurvan/alexander forever with an occasional side dose of 'who are these characters and why do i care what they are doing'. I can't imagine that person sticking around very long.

They don't need to do a cataclysm where they rewrite everything, they just need to cut out a lot of the most pointless chaff quests and clean up the main quest a bit. I know quite a few people who have played at some point and quit before actually getting to heavensward or even 50 because of all the time-wasting chore quests.

Oh wow you're right, forumsposter wolpertinger says retention is actually going to be worse with the potions, must be true.

I mean, really, what the gently caress do yoshi and them know about game development?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Man, goons sure love to be hyperbolic shitheads.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I have an idea that might be crazy enough to work.

If you don't like jump potions then don't buy one if/when they come out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I disagree with your idea, but that's OK, friend.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just think its cool that they found a way to trick people into paying them more money for a game they are probably not going to like, if they're that desperate to skip the MSQ. Good job yoship

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
As long as we're throwing around strawmen, what kind of lovely friends do the people who insist they must have a jump potion to immediately get to "current" content have?

"Hey man, you should come play this game which I've played through and therefore know exactly what to expect in terms of you taking time to level, but I'm not going to interact with you in any way until you get to endgame and also I'm quitting forever in two weeks, so you'd better step on it."

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Can I buy a jump potion for this thread to skip all the content where we have the exact same argument and make the exact same points for the millionth time

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well I guess we could go back to having the exact same argument about new jobs, or the exact same argument about bad players, or the exact same argument about anima relics, or

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
you could instead post pictures

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like my roegal glamour

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Fister Roboto posted:

Well I guess we could go back to having the exact same argument about new jobs, or the exact same argument about bad players, or the exact same argument about anima relics, or
only one of these is even worth remotely talking about though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourgeoisie
Nov 19, 2007

One ticket, please.
freelancing in frontline is nice because it lets me get the chance to loathe all the grand companies individually

• Locked thread