Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
New trailer was much better than any of the others. I think it captured the proper tone and definitely feels more akin to ME2 than ME3. I really like that the party isn't strictly military in this one, and that it's more Guardians of the Galaxy than anything else. I imagine the last two party members are gonna be a purple man and a Kett. I really hope there are more new races, but I doubt it.
But why do the Kett look like Zinyak?
Also, why is Peebee's skin all smooth? By the time ME3 rolled around, the asari had pretty prominent scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Milky Moor posted:

Lmao is that for real??

It was founded before ME1, but doesn't launch until ME2 on the year of Shep's revival. So, I think it definitely started as a legit exploration mission and then it will turn out after the Eden Prime War it got suddenly got backing from the Council and Alliance real quick.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Slim Killington posted:

I already hate every party member they've shown. Except maybe the Krogan. I hope we can leave them out in space somewhere.

I like PB

but that trailer was poo poo

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Beefstew posted:

Also, why is Peebee's skin all smooth? By the time ME3 rolled around, the asari had pretty prominent scales.

She just pancakes on the makeup.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

It was founded before ME1, but doesn't launch until ME2 on the year of Shep's revival. So, I think it definitely started as a legit exploration mission and then it will turn out after the Eden Prime War it got suddenly got backing from the Council and Alliance real quick.

I imagine since we made the journey with the Initiative's founder at some point we'll get to talk about her motivations for getting this started.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

haha wait Sara(h) and Scott are pampered rookie recruits with 'tours' at the diplomatic station and backwater archives? hahaha.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The weird part about that briefing video that introduced the human pathfinder team was that it seemed to sit somewhere between "tech demo of the character models" and "cinematic of the crew shooting a profile video of themselves". They're not looking at the camera, even when it pans in front of their face, and while some of their movements look deliberate the rest look like plain in-game idle poses. It wouldn't be as weird if it was a dev voiceover telling you about each character, but Cora doing it in-character with the little profiles gives the whole thing a sort of uncanny vibe.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

JawKnee posted:

haha wait Sara(h) and Scott are pampered rookie recruits with 'tours' at the diplomatic station and backwater archives? hahaha.

But they're the kids of the dude who did the thing. When your dad's the dude who did the thing you get to go with him to the place

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There will be much eye rolling angsting and many "I'm not my father!" moments I'm sure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think it's more "Mom Ryder and Dad Ryder basically made the human program happen at all, their family gets to come along, might as well make sure the kids are doing something rather than just taking up space."

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Kavak posted:

Why couldn't this mission have been launched during ME3? It'd be gone well before the endings caused anything. Or they could just say "Select people knew the Reapers were real and took it upon themselves to preserve their civilizations" and we'd accept the early launch.

Looking at all the messaging around this game it seems like they want to tell a story about explorers, if the mission was launched due to fear of the reapers it stops being a story about explorers and becomes a story about refugees.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JawKnee posted:

They're more untested, and Bioware has said the game will be more about the main character growing into a hero rather than already being one like Shepard was.

I'm sure that SAM and the connection to the crew is going to play into whatever happens to Alec and why one of the twins becomes Pathfinder instead of Cora.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

tayvaan posted:

Looking at all the messaging around this game it seems like they want to tell a story about explorers, if the mission was launched due to fear of the reapers it stops being a story about explorers and becomes a story about refugees.

I get that refugees are a politically loaded topic, but explorers don't bring along a city's worth of people with them. If you're exploring to try and find habitable planets to settle on, you're either in desperate need of a new home or just looking for more living space.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

But they're the kids of the dude who did the thing. When your dad's the dude who did the thing you get to go with him to the place

Yeah, the more we get, the more the Ryders feel like twerps.

Maybe Fire Emblem left me a mite sensitive to this kind of thing, going from playing the World's Greatest Military Mind to the World's Stupidest rear end in a top hat in the latest two games in the series, but I kinda miss Shepard already. It's nice to play someone with his or her poo poo secured, you know?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kavak posted:

I get that refugees are a politically loaded topic, but explorers don't bring along a city's worth of people with them. If you're exploring to try and find habitable planets to settle on, you're either in desperate need of a new home or just looking for more living space.

Yes, they do, if they're exploring 600 years' travel (one way) from their people.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, a lot of hypothetical space colonization/exploration has "bring enough people to seed human civilization in one go with you" as part of it.

Which I think might excuse papa Ryder bringing his kids, since it's clearly a one-way mission and one way to found a new branch of humanity might be to bring a bunch of families.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

They're more untested

definitely a good choice for the spearhead of our colonization efforts then :lol:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

definitely a good choice for the spearhead of our colonization efforts then :lol:

The Hero's Journey is a tried and true method of storytelling even when it's a bad idea.

To paraphrase another criticism, why aren't they using probes to look for habitable planets instead of people? Or are the Pathfinders supposed to just travel from system to system, launch those, and then go down and investigate?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Don't poke too hard or it will come crashing down.

I didn't care much for the backstory of ME but the whole "look at how much poo poo was done in like 20 years since first contact" and how it fits in comparison to the rest (Zaeed was a pretty good example) and ehhhh I think someone lost the pacing here Bioware :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

JawKnee posted:

They aren't the spearhead though. The Super Ultra competent dad is. poo poo happens and the Dad more than likely dies or something.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

The Hero's Journey is a tried and true method of storytelling even when it's a bad idea.

To paraphrase another criticism, why aren't they using probes to look for habitable planets instead of people? Or are the Pathfinders supposed to just travel from system to system, launch those, and then go down and investigate?

They used super long range scans from the Milky Way and got some possible planets to settle.

The Pathfinder's role is to go out and see if those planets or the area around it is really habitable, make diplomatic talks with any of the locals, and defend their Arc if they run across unfriendly locals.

This was stated in the briefings.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, Star Trek takes a gently caress load of people on a ship, too. These guys just have bigger ships, with more people in them. No big deal.

As much as I rag on Bioware, nepotism and whatnot is fine for the story they seem to be telling. The dad's a hero and spearheading this 600 year journey and it's totally normal to want to take your family with you, and maybe even have your kids follow you in career choice. Nepotism is, well, we know it's a thing. It's also pretty basic hero's journey stuff - the child takes up th role of the father.

From the little I know it seems like it's not worth complaining about. Save your energy for the daddy issues storyline and the absolute shite facial animation.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 27, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

They aren't the spearhead though. The Super Ultra competent dad is. poo poo happens and the Dad more than likely dies or something.

Hey man, just paraphrasing the trailer I just watched haha - the 'team' is the spearhead, and for some reason dad's kids are along

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not like his two kids are a basket weaver and a sandwich artist. They're both Alliance trained and one's a soldier(?) while the other studies alien civilisations and their dad is the dude who DID THE THING ffs it's entirely realistic for them to be along for the ride.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drifter posted:

Yeah, Star Trek takes a gently caress load of people on a ship, too. These guys just have bigger ships, with more people in them. No big deal.

As much as I rag on Bioware, nepotism and whatnot is fine for the story they seem to be telling. The dad's a hero and spearheading this 600 year journey and it's totally normal to want to take your family with you, and maybe even have your kids follow you in career choice. Nepotism is, well, we know it's a thing. It's also pretty basic hero's journey stuff - the child takes up th role of the father.

From the little I know it seems like it's not worth complaining about. Save your energy for the daddy issues storyline and the absolute shite facial animation.

I loving love Star Trek and I'll freely admit that the Enterprise being full of civilians was dumb as poo poo.

You're right, though. Most of the other Pathfinders will probably get killed in some disaster and you'll be expected to take up your father's role, etc. etc.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just because you disappoint your parents with everything you've done with your life doesn't mean the Ryder twins are useless

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kavak posted:

I loving love Star Trek and I'll freely admit that the Enterprise being full of civilians was dumb as poo poo.

You're right, though. Most of the other Pathfinders will probably get killed in some disaster and you'll be expected to take up your father's role, etc. etc.

i'm surprised all four arks have made it so far. like it'd be pretty sweet if the AI spent god knows how much money and experience building the arks and their fancy drive cores that last 600 years (!) only to find out 2/4 arks malfunctioned and were destroyed and a third captured by the native species of the new galaxy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The bio for them also said their dad gave them some training too. I'm sure they're fine for their roles, and then will have to struggle with being thrust into the main role when they lose their dad.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I hope I can make Ryder an incredibly sarcastic rear end in a top hat.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Admiral Ray posted:

i'm surprised all four arks have made it so far. like it'd be pretty sweet if the AI spent god knows how much money and experience building the arks and their fancy drive cores that last 600 years (!) only to find out 2/4 arks malfunctioned and were destroyed and a third captured by the native species of the new galaxy.

One of the novels coming out is called Lost Ark so ruh-roh!

I hope it's the Asari ark that goes missing and some Alastair Reynolds-style space horror/body horror poo poo goes down inside.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bet it's a Quarian ark. There's probably a reason why we haven't seen any of them despite the most popular character from the last trilogy being one.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dexo posted:

Bet it's a Quarian ark. There's probably a reason why we haven't seen any of them despite the most popular character from the last trilogy being one.

And easily being the best species suited to build a gigantic life-ship that houses tens of thousands of people along with literally everything you need to live.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

It's not like his two kids are a basket weaver and a sandwich artist. They're both Alliance trained and one's a soldier(?) while the other studies alien civilisations and their dad is the dude who DID THE THING ffs it's entirely realistic for them to be along for the ride.

Ah Yes Alec Ryder or whatever your name is, hero of the Alliance, YOU will head this first ever attempt to colonize a distant galaxy! Your team will be a crack squadron, able to handle anything! And I guess you can take your kids along too?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Ah Yes Alec Ryder or whatever your name is, hero of the Alliance, YOU will head this first ever attempt to colonize a distant galaxy! Your team will be a crack squadron, able to handle anything! And I guess you can take your kids along too?

Considering his son was stationed on a distant outpost which implies he's used to being out in the middle of nowhere and in a small team. And his Daughter was on a team studying ancient alien stuff. They might not be the worst people to bring along. Nepotism helps sure but they do have useful skills.

Also you are making me think waaaay to hard about this common as gently caress premise in fiction.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

It's not like his two kids are a basket weaver and a sandwich artist. They're both Alliance trained and one's a soldier(?) while the other studies alien civilizations and their dad is the dude who DID THE THING ffs it's entirely realistic for them to be along for the ride.

They're both soldiers; Scott served on a space station next to the arturus relay and Sara supported and protected Prothean researchers

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Next you're going to tell me that officers shouldn't be loving their subordinates!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

Considering his son was stationed on a distant outpost which implies he's used to being out in the middle of nowhere and in a small team. And his Daughter was on a team studying ancient alien stuff. They might not be the worst people to bring along. Nepotism helps sure but they do have useful skills.

Also you are making me think waaaay to hard about this common as gently caress premise in fiction.

Maybe I mis-heard the trailer, but isn't arcturus the center of the Alliance parliament? And the prothean archives seems to refer to Mars?

Those are not 'distant outposts' they're cushy, non-combat, 'your kids are too important for hard work' roles

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Kibayasu posted:

Next you're going to tell me that officers shouldn't be loving their subordinates!

The Council did say Spectres can do anything.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

The Council did say Spectres can do anything.

without oversight :heysexy:

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

JawKnee posted:

Maybe I mis-heard the trailer, but isn't arcturus the center of the Alliance parliament? And the prothean archives seems to refer to Mars?

Those are not 'distant outposts' they're cushy, non-combat, 'your kids are too important for hard work' roles

Andromeda Initiative posted:

Scott joined the Systems Alliance military and was assigned to an outpost near Arcturus Station overseeing Relay 202. A primary route to Arcturus, this mass relay leads into contested space and has an unsavory reputation.

So, no he wasn't at Arcturus Station. Describing it as "near" probably threw you off, but it's near in relay terms. He was probably on the edge of the Traverse which gets raided all the time from the Terminus Systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Kavak posted:

Whether its politically loaded or not is irrelevant, its about the tone they want for the story. To your second point its a one way trip so you bring everything you need to be self sufficient at your destination.