Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DapperDon posted:

I bet the shadow of her rear end weighs 50 lbs.

You probably shouldn't do that.

She is just (from what I can tell) a nice person who followed her husband to his dream job

I have NO problems piling on Ben though, he has shown himself to be a vile human being

TheAgent posted:

alexis is actually a cool and good person, I really hope gets healthy cuz both her and ben have put on a hundo since they moved to LA

And that is just sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NASA also had a clear, well defined mission that everyone in the organization understood and was motivated to achieve. CIG has a mass of confused employees and contractors who can't even agree on how things are scaled.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

You probably shouldn't do that.

She is just (from what I can tell) a nice person who followed her husband to his dream job

I have NO problems piling on Ben though, he has shown himself to be a vile human being

And that is just sad

gently caress, now you made me feel bad bro.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

"Cresting the hill of the initial tier of functionality"
"It looks more primitive then it really is"

*recycles the bartender concept pitch*
*releases Grim Hex bar in 2.6*

Countdown until criminals and muggers get cut, and the only thing that gets released are NPCs that mill about an area, or patrol a set route. I can't wait for "Realistic daily routines, and dynamic spontaneous events coming soon".

:gary:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I just bought a Musical keyboard off of Ebay for £20.00, it should arrive in a week, didn't cost me my farm and hopefully I can learn something from it.
That's my little story, goodnight.

I hope you got one of these. There are two in every Completionist package.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hardly trailblazing if CIG is only going to take us back to the Moon, is it. So difficult but feel the fidelity commando o7.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I forgot to mention 'algorithmic generation of hand crafted content'. aka. how games like Elite already do it. Someone hand codes the archetypal mission like cargo transport, and the algorithm figures out what you are hauling, to which station, and for whom. But this time it's going to be different for Star Citizens because fidelity, and... reasons.

*Some poo poo about intelligent mo-capped birds*

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DapperDon posted:

gently caress, now you made me feel bad bro.

It's ok , I know you will make a funny !

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Foo Diddley posted:

Access females, acquire currency

gently caress wood elves, make platinum.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Real, hammer weighted action

*Gently depresses the piano key with my grabby hand*

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

Real, hammer weighted action

*Gently depresses the piano key with my grabby hand*

*poing*

Now you can sip your dispensed Hairy Roberts in peace as you sail through the cosmos soaking in your hot tub, while your sister, only in panties, pilots your ship.

For the next 7 hours.

And then your first trade run is complete and you are ready to manually unload your cargo one box at a time of your 80 ton cargo bay.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

:grin:

Have I been hacked? How on Earth did you get the summary to my book!! :argh:

I edited your config files?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Quavers posted:

It'll be the best belt ever though. I'm working on Materials 2.0 and Attachments 3.4 right now, promise!

Seriously, MoMA, I wouldn't back until they release Buckle 3.1.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Raskolnikov posted:

Did you read the July blog?

Chris' was hopped up on cocaine. Derek's post looks like he is buzzing on soda and too much late night TV. I doubt DS even drinks. It'd chill out his rage machine.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sillybones posted:

Chris' was hopped up on cocaine. Derek's post looks like he is buzzing on soda and too much late night TV. I doubt DS even drinks. It'd chill out his rage machine.

He drinks Irish cream. Like, straight; he doesn't even put it in anything

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Obsidian posted their 'Road to Eternity' video recently. They painted quite a different picture of taking a crowdfunded game from prototype to market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=937s
"You need to define what is the first prototype for the game we're going to make; and based on the resources you have now, can you make that [prototype] and when can you make it by?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1020s
"I think sometimes when you have these huge teams, you think to do anything you need a huge team and you don't."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1228s
"Prototype one is not meant to be pretty. It's supposed to just have the basic core things you can do in the game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1594s
"When you do have a tighter budget you have to narrow your scope"

Cutting Features is sometimes necessary to deliver a successful verticle slice. Goes on about something called a "schedule" and tops it with a "budget"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Just got to overlay some code on these ideas over here..

Let's see...

Oh! Here it is!

DLL.aws = true

AI->talkToAnimation(int 1)

<HTML title="Mission Editor V1"></HTML>

And finally, gently caress Chris you should know this one:
Edit config.sys
DEVICE=EMM386.COM NOEMS
DOS=HIGH
REM MOUSE.COM

got to kill that loving mouse driver to get that extra memory to play these drat Chris Roberts games. You're welcome CIG.

Edit: So I GIS "emm386 cat" and for some reason the Star Citizen logo is one of the hits. For real???

So here is another one of the hits off of that search:

Hex editing FTW! Every DOS dude's best friend.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Tokamak posted:

I forgot to mention 'algorithmic generation of hand crafted content'. aka. how games like Elite already do it. Someone hand codes the archetypal mission like cargo transport, and the algorithm figures out what you are hauling, to which station, and for whom. But this time it's going to be different for Star Citizens because fidelity, and... reasons.

*Some poo poo about intelligent mo-capped birds*

So basically like how RPG's like Daggerfall would create a quest?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Hex editing FTW! Every DOS dude's best friend.

The creative mind of Roberts at work , instead of fixing the game crashing on exit he just had the crash message changed

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

TheAgent posted:

alexis is actually a cool and good person, I really hope gets healthy cuz both her and ben have put on a hundo since they moved to LA
how the gently caress is that even possible

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ash1138 posted:

how the gently caress is that even possible

Makes sending a man to the moon seem quaint.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chunjee posted:

Obsidian posted their 'Road to Eternity' video recently. They painted quite a different picture of taking a crowdfunded game from prototype to market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=937s
"You need to define what is the first prototype for the game we're going to make; and based on the resources you have now, can you make that [prototype] and when can you make it by?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1020s
"I think sometimes when you have these huge teams, you think to do anything you need a huge team and you don't."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1228s
"Prototype one is not meant to be pretty. It's supposed to just have the basic core things you can do in the game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1594s
"When you do have a tighter budget you have to narrow your scope"

Cutting Features is sometimes necessary to deliver a successful verticle slice. Goes on about something called a "schedule" and tops it with a "budget"

Typical statements from people that don't understand game development.

Have they ever directed members of Hollywood A-list?

You can't just buy that, you have to earn that with talent and respect.

They probably don't even own cars, let alone performace ones. Bet they take a bus to work.

Chumps.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Tokamak posted:

"Cresting the hill of the initial tier of functionality"

Tony Zurovec, Director of Persistent Universe posted:

Well well you can uh, that's something I referred to before which is uh uhh we're very, we've, we're very much focused and we always have been with regards to the direction we're going with the concept of this, you know, object oriented content creation which is to basically distill y'know uhh all of y'know the different pieces uhh of functionality that we're gonna use to build up these larger missions to break them down into these component parts and then just like do, y'know, in an object-oriented language like C++ to basically allow us to y'know pass inputs in, to y'know extract y'know outputs out um so that we can customize them dynamically in these y'know in--in, th, in the scope of y'know a much larger problem and so what this is going to wind up allowing us to do is after we've got that initial library of y'know functionality, designers are going to be able to craft this stuff much, much more quickly than they've been able to do, y'know, cer-- uh, in, in, in the past, umm, and what this effectively means to the player is uhh a much larger amount of interesting things to see and experience and challenges to face, y'know, and solve within the game world.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would be more inclined to think that CIG was doing something revolutionary and incredible if I saw them doing something original.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The Carmack quote is way, way out of context.

Bringing up John Carmack to defend crobbler makes my blood boil. Through his career, start to now, Carmack has consistently pushed the bar making things that have truly never been done before. His visions that he implemented and he made manifest. Most of which he has done without fanfare or bigging himself up. His legacy is evident in all modern video games and continues to be moving forward.

Croberts was kicked out of the industry because he became outdated and disruptive to good games being made. He emerges a decade later and has only gotten worse.

I hope unique tech comes from this project before it dies. And if and when a solution appears that is novel, I hope people realise it was the coders that created it, completely despite of Roberts 'visions'.

On Most Open Development Ever, where are the papers/articles being published about their never been done before tech? All these totally closed, opaque companies do it in the spirit of altruism and the collective benefit it brings for all.

I might be peeved.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Continuing the series of CIG explanations fast-forwarded.

http://i.imgur.com/VtUAfCP.mp4

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Sillybones posted:

The Carmack quote is way, way out of context.

Bringing up John Carmack to defend crobbler makes my blood boil. Through his career, start to now, Carmack has consistently pushed the bar making things that have truly never been done before. His visions that he implemented and he made manifest. Most of which he has done without fanfare or bigging himself up. His legacy is evident in all modern video games and continues to be moving forward.

Croberts was kicked out of the industry because he became outdated and disruptive to good games being made. He emerges a decade later and has only gotten worse.

I hope unique tech comes from this project before it dies. And if and when a solution appears that is novel, I hope people realise it was the coders that created it, completely despite of Roberts 'visions'.

On Most Open Development Ever, where are the papers/articles being published about their never been done before tech? All these totally closed, opaque companies do it in the spirit of altruism and the collective benefit it brings for all.

I might be peeved.

Cognitive dissonance in full effect. Seriously, do you really think that's true? Come off it mate :/

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Kosumo posted:

Typical statements from people that don't understand game development.

Have they ever directed members of Hollywood A-list?

You can't just buy that, you have to earn that with talent and respect.

They probably don't even own cars, let alone performace ones. Bet they take a bus to work.

Chumps.

More realistically:
CIG are doing what has never been done before. The rules don't apply.

The fidelity of CIG is much higher. The rules don't apply.

CIG have more money than these chumps. The rules don't apply.

Dongicus posted:

Cognitive dissonance in full effect. Seriously, do you really think that's true? Come off it mate :/

:argh:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Do asses bend this way?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Since they are doing things never done before, perhaps they need to hop on the patent train so they can license localized physic server mesh technologies to NASA.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Do asses bend this way?

They're quite high-poly asses too

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SelenicMartian posted:

That's some package, right there

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

SelenicMartian posted:

Fidelicious.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, in the latest AtV we learn:

That Sandi's discovered a new facial expression;

That someone at cIg doesn't give a gently caress about models not aligning in prerendered promo shots;

That if you spam it, it WILL crash;

And that Chris is easy to impress with coloured rubbish.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would be more inclined to think that CIG was doing something revolutionary and incredible if I saw them doing something original decently functional that is not ecommerce.

FTFY.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

TheAgent posted:

this will also be the start of the new "this ship will only be available for pledge/donation/sale now, and will not be able to be earned in game"

:jackbud:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/824819162149171200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That Twitter nut made it perfectly clear: the site he linked was French and he's not French so it's not stalking. Makes sense.