Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, pentabreak stacks with full break effects.

The problem is it's on Mustadio, who is sort of like Laguna in that he excels in Machinist stuff... and sucks everywhere else, making him hard to slot into a team. You'd basically be bringing him solely for his SB.

I don't know where people get this idea that Mustadio is terrible, but it's irritating as poo poo. He isn't. He's actually very good. He has better stats than most Support characters (especially ranged Supports), can bring the full suite of Machinist options which will include some seriously good DPS abilities in the future especially when coupled with his plus TWELVE percent Machinist damage record dive, and oh yeah he can bring the most important breaks (Power/Magic Breakdown) too. He can even use swords, so he's not poo poo out of luck in no-gun realms like Barret or Irvine -- and remember that Machinist abilities are inherently ranged so he can sword from the back row. And he's got a great SB in his AOE Pentabreak. He's dramatically better than Laguna; trading Support 4 access for Combat 4 access is a godawful terrible trade, and unless you're bringing an ice team Laguna has no SBs worth mentioning.

Also in the next Tactics event, ~3 months out, he gets one of the best support/dps BSBs in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Zurai posted:

...and remember that Machinist abilities are inherently ranged so he can sword from the back row.

How in the hell did I not know this? I really gotta read descriptions more closely.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Well that's just loving disappointing. :sigh:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Attestant posted:

Hang in there buddy, I know that feeling from the Summoner draw.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I mean, this banner looked great for me because I wanted one or more of:

1) The OSB
2) Any of the BSB
3) Cleansing Strike
4) Any Ovelia relic for CM use
5) Any weapon to shore up my realm synergy.

And then the pull skilfully homed in on the one item I didn't want or need. :shepicide:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zurai posted:

He's dramatically better than Laguna; trading Support 4 access for Combat 4 access is a godawful terrible trade, and unless you're bringing an ice team Laguna has no SBs worth mentioning.

Also in the next Tactics event, ~3 months out, he gets one of the best support/dps BSBs in the game.

Wouldn't say no SBs - Laguna's Burst is actually very solid, it's Imperil-Lightning plus a good DPS combo (more if you honed Tempest Snipe). Its real problem is that it's on a separate banner than Squall/Irvine's Bursts.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I hosed up my FFT events :downsgun:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 27, 2017

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

Yes, that will change when we get Rapid Fire. But that's three and a half months off

Am I missing something? We just got it with this event, I have it right this second.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is Deployment Tactics even worth using if I also have Alphinaud's BSB? I've been playing around with it and it seems like I'd almost always be better off just chain-spamming his BSB 1 command instead, at least against single targets. But honestly, it seems like his BSB would be the way to go for multi-target fights too, since then I could use it to spam summons or something instead. I guess maybe a multi-target fight where there's absurd amounts of AoE getting flung around might be the exception?

I was kinda excited to pull it at first, but it's starting to feel like one of those Iga Blade moments where it would be awesome if I didn't have Alph's BSB, but since I do, it just doesn't quite justify itself.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Combo posted:

Am I missing something? We just got it with this event, I have it right this second.

...no, but maybe I am missing something. :saddowns: I may have gotten my wires crossed if we got it with this event.

EDIT: loving hell we did get it with this event. Salt rescinded, Machinist actually has some sort of utility now that isn't just "ranged attacks" or "status".

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 27, 2017

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

...no, but maybe I am missing something. :saddowns: I may have gotten my wires crossed if we got it with this event.

You get it from the last fight available right now in the event.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Are you thinking of Tempest Snipe, the 6-hit Lightning ability?

Rapid Fire is pretty nice DPS I guess, but the Machinist pool is a little small for me to consider honing it.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is Deployment Tactics even worth using if I also have Alphinaud's BSB? I've been playing around with it and it seems like I'd almost always be better off just chain-spamming his BSB 1 command instead, at least against single targets. But honestly, it seems like his BSB would be the way to go for multi-target fights too, since then I could use it to spam summons or something instead. I guess maybe a multi-target fight where there's absurd amounts of AoE getting flung around might be the exception?

I was kinda excited to pull it at first, but it's starting to feel like one of those Iga Blade moments where it would be awesome if I didn't have Alph's BSB, but since I do, it just doesn't quite justify itself.

Radiant Shield does some good work in MP.

The atk/mag buff can be handy if you have no other options or need it for the realm. BSB will still be better most of the time but it just gives you that much more flexibility and should cement him a spot on your A Team. I use Ramza for shout almost all the time but every now and then Tailwind is needed in a pinch or I need to interrupt a boss for a medal with his Throw Stone SB. Just more tools in the toolbox.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nickoten posted:

I really think BSBs are generally just more useful than OSBs anyway outside of certain scenarios (e.g. Orlandu OSB or an enelement + OSB combo). Being able to have cool effects like Gafgarrion's healing on an attacker BSB expands your options more than just having yet another way to deal big burst damage.

Or maybe I'm just sour that I have Hope's OSB but no enholy, and no OSB for my numerous enelement characters.
If you have native wall and hastega you might want to try using Celes BSB as an RW?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wouldn't say no SBs - Laguna's Burst is actually very solid, it's Imperil-Lightning plus a good DPS combo (more if you honed Tempest Snipe). Its real problem is that it's on a separate banner than Squall/Irvine's Bursts.

Whoops you're right, I forgot Laguna got his BSB and it's similar to but worse than Mustadio's BSB unless you're all-in on lightning or really want to abuse Tempest Snipe. Personally I think Mustadio's Reverse Wall entry and Support 4 access is way better, but I did completely forget about Laguna's BSB so mea culpa there.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Did an ill adviced ragewhale pull:

It'd be lovely to get like, 2 relics, maybe game? Ah well, at least I got a GOOD item now.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Dammit. I want to combine these two Saintly Excaliburs and then shovel Rosetta Stones in to make one godlike weapon, but... at 171 attack each, they're more powerful than any other physical weapon I have, and keeping an extra one around as a general physical weapon in realms with really bad synergy might help. On the other hand, having one super-buff stat stick would be even better. For FFT synergy I think I'm okay, I have an Iga Blade+ katana and a generic Spellbinder dagger, although obviously neither of those are as good as a single Saintly Excalibur. Maybe I should wait until after the event is over, although I'm not too worried about being able to clear all the bonus battles as an Orlandeau OSB-haver.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Shock Trooper posted:

Dammit. I want to combine these two Saintly Excaliburs and then shovel Rosetta Stones in to make one godlike weapon, but... at 171 attack each, they're more powerful than any other physical weapon I have, and keeping an extra one around as a general physical weapon in realms with really bad synergy might help. On the other hand, having one super-buff stat stick would be even better. For FFT synergy I think I'm okay, I have an Iga Blade+ katana and a generic Spellbinder dagger, although obviously neither of those are as good as a single Saintly Excalibur. Maybe I should wait until after the event is over, although I'm not too worried about being able to clear all the bonus battles as an Orlandeau OSB-haver.

blahblahblah Gacha loves me blahblahblah I'm so lucky blahblahblah

Sorry, couldn't resist. If synergy wise you're ok, it really depends on how many physical attackers you generally rock, I guess. If you run full/heavy physical, two slightly weaker weapons might be more solid, depending on your overall synergy. If you run fewer physical/sword users or generally have at least two solid synergy weapons, the beatstick is the better option.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Really useful for tough bosses that do unfair amounts of AoE attacks, especially gravity ones.

Really REALLY useful for those AoE-spamming bosses in multiplayer - when you can deal like 15-25k retaliation damage, it's very worth it and you'll still be able to pop off his BSB if the boss is a real piece of poo poo

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Shock Trooper posted:

You might also think about the future- maybe you don't need two +holy swords NOW, but you might pull some great SBs later for a holy team. Having two +holy swords that are basically as strong as synergy 5* swords that you can use in any realm guarantees you could do awesome damage with a holy team. Honestly, the little bit of additional ATK you get from taking a 6* to a 6*+ doesn't really seem worth it IMO.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Oh and I just pulled 9/44

Orlandeau's Cloak
Lambent Hat x2
Healing Staff x2 (dupe)
Venetian Shield x2
Kaiser Shield (dupe)
Mythril Gun

Didn't get the OSB, but at this point I have so much holy damage its ridiculous. Agrias' imperil holy + Hope OSB, Cid + Ramza + Minfilia BSB's = holy poo poo.

Also proshellga for Ovelia is nice and I should be able to do the CM for once.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Schwartzcough posted:

You might also think about the future- maybe you don't need two +holy swords NOW, but you might pull some great SBs later for a holy team. Having two +holy swords that are basically as strong as synergy 5* swords that you can use in any realm guarantees you could do awesome damage with a holy team. Honestly, the little bit of additional ATK you get from taking a 6* to a 6*+ doesn't really seem worth it IMO.

I did forget about the +holy on the sword. Probably best to keep them split. I can personally attest to holy teams being basically the bestest.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

1st AD posted:

Really useful for tough bosses that do unfair amounts of AoE attacks, especially gravity ones.

Really REALLY useful for those AoE-spamming bosses in multiplayer - when you can deal like 15-25k retaliation damage, it's very worth it and you'll still be able to pop off his BSB if the boss is a real piece of poo poo

Ah yeah, I didn't even think about multiplayer, that could definitely get gross. I might take it for a spin in this torment dungeon, see if I can finally get past it somehow. I just keep running out of gas right at the end when he goes batshit and starts spamming really painful AoE nonstop, but I think then my issue is more staying alive than not dealing enough damage.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Man TGCid's record sphere really sucks. +6% Knight, +3% Sword and.. Equip Axes :confuoot:

Probably just to balance out his absurd stats and ability access from the get-go.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Hrm, I have no synergy weapons here outside of the healing staff and a poison rod, but I have a kaiser shield and the Ramza boulder toss relics. I feel like I might want to pull here, but on the other hand I'll get something like another staff or a shield and go 1/11 to boot :(

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Servaetes posted:

Hrm, I have no synergy weapons here outside of the healing staff and a poison rod, but I have a kaiser shield and the Ramza boulder toss relics. I feel like I might want to pull here, but on the other hand I'll get something like another staff or a shield and go 1/11 to boot :(

I mean, that risk is on every banner.

In reality, this banner is kind of overblown for folks who are longtime players who chased the plat sword hard the first time around - the more Tactics synergy you have, the less appealing picking up depth here is. If all you've got is a pair of white/black Mage sticks, this banner is stacked with huge wins for you.

(And the shields both own for different reasons. The only real dud is the Ovelia Robe.)

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Attestant posted:

I got this same pull except twice and one of them cost me $30. :(

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Just be me and 100 gem pull Agrias BSB on OSBFest + TGCid OSB :shrug:

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
What do people usually do when they decide to level up a new character? If you're low on eggs, it's just a matter of dragging them through sunday dungeons?

Feeling a lot less irritated about my pulls today. Lesson learned, think I'm going to sleep on it before I take a second pull at a banner in the future. Might as well play with mustadio a bit, if I can get him up to speed.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

way to go steve posted:

What do people usually do when they decide to level up a new character? If you're low on eggs, it's just a matter of dragging them through sunday dungeons?

Feeling a lot less irritated about my pulls today. Lesson learned, think I'm going to sleep on it before I take a second pull at a banner in the future. Might as well play with mustadio a bit, if I can get him up to speed.

Pretty much this. Sunday dungeon with the smallest group you can manage. Usually 2 characters. One black mage to aoe everything and then the character you want to level with an experience boosting RM.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

The elite 3 part dungeon with Cuculainn at the end is the best way to level characters/SBs outside of Sundaily

Just do the first stage over and over with as few characters as possible

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

way to go steve posted:

I just put anyone who ever gets a soul break on the EXP train, prioritizing better soul break tiers. Which means I'll have them run sundaily and other exp events until they're capped at 80. One character finishes, next one takes that slot.

Eggs are for when I want something levelled now, like a lowbie I need for a Cid's mission, or someone low level getting a very good soul break.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Powerchain into TG Cid OSB is incredibly satisfying. Wow.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Eggs are for getting someone to 50 so they can equip record materia.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Mithross posted:

blahblahblah Gacha loves me blahblahblah I'm so lucky blahblahblah

Yeah I'm a dickhead with first-world problems. Sorry :(

Schwartzcough posted:

Good point, I know Pencil would like to get his hands on one of these for his BSB. He'd been one of my go-to damage dealers but now I'm finding it more difficult to slot him into the party...

I still want to slap a bunch of Rosettas onto one of these swords though, because it's probably unlikely that I'll pull anything better for a while.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Pretty much this. Sunday dungeon with the smallest group you can manage. Usually 2 characters. One black mage to aoe everything and then the character you want to level with an experience boosting RM.

Is there not much worry about the lowbie getting sniped doing this? Just a matter of reloading I guess. Don't really have any aoes, I'll try to figure something out.

And I'm assuming the highest stamina runs are most efficient? I'd really only get a couple shots at it then.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

way to go steve posted:

Is there not much worry about the lowbie getting sniped doing this? Just a matter of reloading I guess. Don't really have any aoes, I'll try to figure something out.

And I'm assuming the highest stamina runs are most efficient? I'd really only get a couple shots at it then.

If your lowbie dies just close the app immediately and restart it. You won't lose stamina that way.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Oh boy I sure can't get enough of this loving Belias fight, please add more of them jfc

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Outside of his OSB, which is better for Orlandeau to Powerchain into: R1 Aegis Strike or R2 Full Charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

way to go steve posted:

Not sure how strong your strongest characters are, but Snowball Flurry and Lightning are both only two star AOE spells that can pack a real punch if you have a powerful mage.

• Locked thread