Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm kind of excited for Curse Words tomorrow. The previews looked pretty drat funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Cloks posted:

I apologise if people have been talking about AD After Death already and I missed it but I just picked up the first two and I'm really liking it. The story seems Nolan-esque but where I personally find Christopher Nolan pretentious, this story is engaging and sad. Very curious as to how it ends.

What's the most recommended Scott Snyder writing? I've never read anything else by him.
I'm digging A.D. as well. The writing style of the narration captures a very real sense of malaise and has cool stream-of-consciousness feel that might come off a bit ramble-y for some, but personally I like how it fits the tone of a person telling you a long story and occasionally going off on tangents before coming back to his original point. I like the concept that people are basically immortal but can only store about a standard lifetime's worth of memories, so the main character's journals and stolen mementos are really his only connection to his old life. Jeff Lemire's watercolor art is really good as well.

If you like A.D., I would recommend checking out both Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing and Jeff Lemire's Animal Man, both of which launched in DC's New 52 period and are best read in tandem because they intertwine a lot (and explicitly cross over in both of their third volumes with the "Rotworld" saga). You'll get to see an earlier example of how the two of them work as collaborators (albeit with Lemire writing rather than doing art), and both series are good mixes of superheroics and visceral horror that expand a lot on the mythology of a dark corner of the DC Universe.

If you're in the mood for straight superhero stories, I'm also a big fan of Snyder's Batman run. It's kind of a big undertaking, but there are a few different points you can jump on depending on how completionist you want to be. The first volume he did is called The Black Mirror and focuses on Dick Grayson during a recent period where he was filling in as Gotham City's Batman while Bruce was having globetrotting adventures in another book. The main storyline is intertwined with a more suspense/horror-oriented story set largely in the past, and they eventually come together. The next Batman thing Snyder did was a miniseries called The Gates of Gotham that expands on the history of Gotham City and shows Dick leading a small team of other Bat-sidekicks, but this was maybe kind of forgettable compared to the better parts of Snyder's run. His stuff really kicks into high gear with the first volume of his New 52 run, called The Court of Owls, which features the return of Bruce, does a lot more world-building and shadowy conspiracy stuff, and sets up some really good stories later on. Not to give anything away, but the Joker shows up a couple of times later, and for my money Snyder writes one of the scariest Jokers I've ever read. I'd say either The Black Mirror or The Court of Owls is a good starting point depending on your preference.

RhymesWithTendon fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 18, 2017

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I reserved three first three volumes of Animal Man and Swamp Thing, Severed and Wake from my library. They have all of American Vampire and Snyder's Batman as well but I think eight books is enough for now.

I also read Huck and it's okay at best. I like the art and it's always nice to read a positive story but it doesn't do anything revolutionary or even interesting.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I picked up Rumble vol 1 on a whim because the guy on the cover looks cool and holy poo poo this a neat comic book.

Absolutely gorgeous art and it has a sort of dirty fantasy to it that reminds me of The Maxx? I haven't even finished the volume yet and I'm hooked.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Sigma-X posted:

I picked up Rumble vol 1 on a whim because the guy on the cover looks cool and holy poo poo this a neat comic book.

Absolutely gorgeous art and it has a sort of dirty fantasy to it that reminds me of The Maxx? I haven't even finished the volume yet and I'm hooked.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-book-bundle

I feel like you ought to have waited a couple of hours.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Was Prophet ever finished?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

KaosMachina posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-book-bundle

I feel like you ought to have waited a couple of hours.

eeeeeh this is a REAL LIVE BOOK and not digital though, and it was $6 (pretty much any Vol1 from Image on Amazon is $6)

I saw that though and yeah there's a bunch of poo poo I already own on there. That is a drat fine humble bundle.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Shitshow posted:

Yeah Earth war finished a few months back.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Looking at that bundle, how is Mirror? I'd get it primarily for Emma Rios's art, but would be happy if there was good writing in there too!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shitshow posted:

Nothing is ever finished.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So Curse Words was a lot of fun. Looking forward to more, and I recommend checking it out if you like really dumb fun.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

GrandpaPants posted:

Looking at that bundle, how is Mirror? I'd get it primarily for Emma Rios's art, but would be happy if there was good writing in there too!

I read it not knowing it was part of Brandon Graham and Marian Church land's fantasy world collective. Pretty art, but a poo poo ton of proper nouns, royalty heirarchy, and magical concepts to wade through. I personally didn't make it past the first issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I tried checking out that new image book rockstars but it seems to be getting pretty high off its own farts

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't remember who suggested lumberjanes but it owns so ty

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

site posted:

I can't remember who suggested lumberjanes but it owns so ty

Agreed. I haven't read up to the latest issue, but what I have read has been phenomenal.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Checking in with this thread because I got The Spire for Christmas but only got around to reading it over the last couple of nights. It's really drat good. Whole thing feels like it could take place in China Mieville's Bas-Lag world (eg: Perdido Street Station).

Art is great, there are some cool LGBT themes (including a trans* character, for whoever was asking a couple pages back), and it's just a great story full stop.

The basics: Fantasy city in the shape of a giant spire, filled with humans and "skews" (mutants and non-human races, all grouped together and hated by most humans). The Baron of the city dies which kicks off a conspiracy, a string of gruesome murders, the resurfacing of dark secrets, and a looming war with a neighbouring city. Ends very neatly with some super satisfying reveals.

The whole thing is about a 200 page paperback and goes by in a blur. I can't recommend enough.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Rucka at Image

https://imagecomics.com/content/view/the-old-guard-marches-into-stores-this-february

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hell I'll give it a shot just for the Fernandez art

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think Image's publishing schedule has broken me. I realize they're great for creators, they can create at their own pace, create what they want etc. But I literally have no idea what is coming out when, and because of that I don't even bother trying to keep track. Mind the Gap? Copperhead? Black Magick? Some of these might have even released new issues by now for all I know. I'm not really a pull list guy, and I can't be bothered to be constantly reading the weekly release schedules, I just go into the store every now and then and grab what I want. In addition to that, I'm now a bit gunshy about getting invested in nearly any of their interesting titles, because for all I know it'll just peter out in 9 months time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm actually pissed about Mind the Gap. It's been effectively dead for two and a half years, and as far as I know, McCann has yet to say anything about it. Granted, it was getting really weird even before that point, but it's sort of a murder mystery, which is a terrible thing to leave incomplete.

I want to say somebody said on here that McCann had just run out of money to pay the artist or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I think Image's publishing schedule has broken me. I realize they're great for creators, they can create at their own pace, create what they want etc. But I literally have no idea what is coming out when, and because of that I don't even bother trying to keep track. Mind the Gap? Copperhead? Black Magick? Some of these might have even released new issues by now for all I know. I'm not really a pull list guy, and I can't be bothered to be constantly reading the weekly release schedules, I just go into the store every now and then and grab what I want. In addition to that, I'm now a bit gunshy about getting invested in nearly any of their interesting titles, because for all I know it'll just peter out in 9 months time.

That's... sort of the point of pull-lists? You're asking the store to keep track of that for you so you can just go in and pick up the things you already know you like, and can still grab new stuff off the shelves. You know it doesn't prevent you buying stuff NOT on your list, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

I basically buy all my Image titles once a year during a big comixology sale and catch up all at once.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gaz-L posted:

That's... sort of the point of pull-lists? You're asking the store to keep track of that for you so you can just go in and pick up the things you already know you like, and can still grab new stuff off the shelves. You know it doesn't prevent you buying stuff NOT on your list, right?

zoux posted:

I basically buy all my Image titles once a year during a big comixology sale and catch up all at once.

These are both good approaches. If you prefer digital (or just don't have a comics store around) but want to get things as they come out Comixology also does subscriptions where when a new issue arrives they email you a week in advance (so you can cancel if you change your mind) and then charge your card and put it in your library.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
How is Image's print subscription service? I've used Marvel's before but stopped when i was getting comics 3-4 weeks after their release

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
New Über is out. Basically making Boston into a Hiroshima commentary, and setting up the general plan for the Americans in the upcoming issues. Was more tactful than I'd thought.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BigglesSWE posted:

New Über is out. Basically making Boston into a Hiroshima commentary, and setting up the general plan for the Americans in the upcoming issues. Was more tactful than I'd thought.

Made me sick to my stomach to read... but that was the point. Ubers are nuclear weapon analogs, and the destruction they wreck should be horrifying and sickening, but not for its own sake.

An appropriately haunting issue.

The American plan from this point forward reminds me of the proposals to invade the Japanese home islands if the atomic bombs hadn't worked. A lot of men are probably going to die repelling this invasion.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Reminds me more of the Soviet "human wave" tactics employed during the first half of the "Great Patriotic War".

These coming issues is gonna be rough. Gillen said somewhere that this first arc is building up for issue 8, after which things become "something else". I REALLY hope this won't turn into a Wolfenstein: New Order sort of thing, with the nazis taking over the world and the rest of it just being a resistance story. We've had a whole bunch of those, I find it much more interesting to have a conventional war that simply last longer than WWII ever did.

As it is, I expect the Americans to take horrific casualties but I would also think that there's a ticking clock element for the Germans, seeing as they can probably not bring in a steady stream of reinforcements. Every dead german soldier on American soil is a tiny victory for the Americans, and I think they'll figure this out in due time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Don't worry, gillen has stated several times that the Nazis won't win, it's just that they're making the Allies eat it first

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the Nazis themselves have said they know they can't win, and they're just doing their most to make sure no one else does, either.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In materials, manufacturing capacity, and just straight number of people the Germans are out of their league. The only advantage they have at this point is that they got human enhancement technology first and actually waited to unleash it at a point where it could turn the tide. Without Battleships this would be similar to regular warfare, just more bloody, basically the fighting would be similar to what happened in Uber's Okinawa. It's the presence of the three German Battleships that has destroyed all balance. Their mounting injuries is making them increasingly less relevant, and certainly less capable of defeating a fresh Allied assault.

Once the Allies manage to complete more than one Battleship and field them against the Nazis, the war is all but over except for the screaming. I wouldn't be surprised though if Russia levels the rest of Europe in the process.

That is, unless something really weird happens that I suspect is coming later this series. aliens, it's got to be aliens

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Though, Nazis invading America is a lot less appealing now that Nazis control America IRL. :smith:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Speaking of World War 2: has anyone here read Garth Ennis' Dreaming Eagles? Is it worth picking up?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read the new Locke and Key holiday one-shot, and you're all dumb for not posting about it. That was a great little story, and I dunno if Rodriguez's art has ever been better.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Someone want to explain the ending of Chew for me? Was he just mad that they made him sad and do some bad stuff? I hate endings that don't wrap stuff up neatly (I am a lazy reader).

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Kwyndig posted:

That is, unless something really weird happens that I suspect is coming later this series. aliens, it's got to be aliens

Yeah they're definitely testing us. They gave us the technology to create a Utopia, and we used it to make war even more horrific and gruesome. All those monologues that sound like historical accounts, the last issue we'll find out that it's all testimony at the Trial of the Human Race.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

scuba school sucks posted:

Yeah they're definitely testing us. They gave us the technology to create a Utopia, and we used it to make war even more horrific and gruesome. All those monologues that sound like historical accounts, the last issue we'll find out that it's all testimony at the Trial of the Human Race.

Oh certainly, enhanced humans could easily save lives. Even with the basic enhancement they'd be invaluable in construction, disaster relief, and exploration. A Battleship class, with their greatly upgraded Halo effect in scope, is nearly unlimited in their potential for good. We've seen them turn dirt into food, shape flesh, and transform air into steel. While most of the more extreme effects are Maria, there's been nothing to show that these effects aren't possible at a smaller scale by other users of the Halo Effect.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

Uber's gore has been good, I think. It's always pretty gorey and yeah sure sometimes it's cool to see the spectacle, but there's also really horrifying things in there like Colossus' fate when he was deployed and now this, which actually made me uncomfortable. The part with the mother trying to get her daughter out from under part of the house.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

In materials, manufacturing capacity, and just straight number of people the Germans are out of their league. The only advantage they have at this point is that they got human enhancement technology first and actually waited to unleash it at a point where it could turn the tide. Without Battleships this would be similar to regular warfare, just more bloody, basically the fighting would be similar to what happened in Uber's Okinawa. It's the presence of the three German Battleships that has destroyed all balance. Their mounting injuries is making them increasingly less relevant, and certainly less capable of defeating a fresh Allied assault.

Once the Allies manage to complete more than one Battleship and field them against the Nazis, the war is all but over except for the screaming. I wouldn't be surprised though if Russia levels the rest of Europe in the process.

I want to know what Turing is working on!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is this week's Island any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sanford posted:

Someone want to explain the ending of Chew for me? Was he just mad that they made him sad and do some bad stuff? I hate endings that don't wrap stuff up neatly (I am a lazy reader).

They killed the woman he loved, his best friend, and millions of people. I don't blame him for holding a grudge.