Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Double post.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

there is not enough gently caress YOU in this world to adequately express my opinion of those garbagedick trashpile lugnuts. Why did they use them for like 20 years straight?

That was one of the first things I replaced when I bought my Jeep and started working on it. I didn't really know all that much about anything, but I recall trying to take the tires off for some reason and thinking holy poo poo what are these goddamned things??! after several of them started shucking on me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

kastein posted:

this is more of a horrible engineering failure, gently caress YOU CHRYSLER gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

gently caress
YOU

there is not enough gently caress YOU in this world to adequately express my opinion of those garbagedick trashpile lugnuts. Why did they use them for like 20 years straight?

For probably less than $200 I can stop that from ever happening again:

Although just a set of regular lug nuts would work too.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 27, 2017

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ford have started to do that poo poo too- Our PX and PX II Rangers at work have loving ALLOY covers over the steel nuts. So as soon as someone uses a rattlegun with a worn out socket on them, they're hosed and round off.

Retarded thing is theres a loving smaller, AF sized lug under the cover, so you can eventually chowder the alloy cover off and if you have an AF socket set get the wheel off. Best we can guess is that they just used a "Global" lug nut and put a cover on it for the AU market to make it the same size as you mostly see on 4wd's here in Australia.

Tho for shits and giggles my 100 series uses 22mm lug nuts on 5x M14x1.5 studs. That always fucks up the tyre guys when they wander over with their 21mm socket on the rattle gun to take em off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jamal posted:

For probably less than $200 I can stop that from ever happening again:

Although just a set of regular lug nuts would work too.

It's a 500 dollar truck with another set of axles in its future so I dropped 15 bucks on some one piece lugs on amazon and that was that. The chrome will probably peel off but I don't really care about chrome much.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

gently caress lug nuts/studs.

gently caress galvanic corrosion.

gently caress rust.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

It's a 500 dollar truck with another set of axles in its future so I dropped 15 bucks on some one piece lugs on amazon and that was that. The chrome will probably peel off but I don't really care about chrome much.

I'll laugh real hard if the "chrome" is another steel cover :v:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Not sure if this has already made it over here and I missed it, but it's probably worth repeating regardless.

Seems the engines in early (pre-'10) *63 AMG cars like to blow the heads off their head bolts.

From here. The link is very cool, guy buys an R63, drives it 12k then the bolt shears. Instead of a $57k (!) bill to R&R the engine at a dealer, he installs a lift and goes for it himself. He doesn't start digging into the engine until page 20 or so.

glyph fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 27, 2017

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It fell off. The Engine Fell Off.
IT FELL THE gently caress OFF

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

It fell off. The Engine Fell Off.
IT FELL THE gently caress OFF

:aaaaa: Jesus loving Christ.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

:aaaaa: Jesus loving Christ.

(he was quoting/paraphrasing a comedian)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Can you replace the *63 amg headbolts before the fail and not have to buy a new engine? Because that'd seem like the way to go. I'm sure arp or someone has something better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Today I found out about Magnesium engine bolts for Audis. Not only are they light, but idiots replace them with non-magnesium bolts and corrode the block.

Nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I may not know nothin bout no metallurgy, but I do know these here bolts is cheaper than them fancy manganesium bolts.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I buy my headbolts from home depot. They only cost 90 cents. Suck it big bolt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

glyph posted:

Not sure if this has already made it over here and I missed it, but it's probably worth repeating regardless.

Seems the engines in early (pre-'10) *63 AMG cars like to blow the heads off their head bolts.

From here. The link is very cool, guy buys an R63, drives it 12k then the bolt shears. Instead of a $57k (!) bill to R&R the engine at a dealer, he installs a lift and goes for it himself. He doesn't start digging into the engine until page 20 or so.

Don't we have a goon that just bought one of these?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

nm posted:

Can you replace the *63 amg headbolts before the fail and not have to buy a new engine? Because that'd seem like the way to go. I'm sure arp or someone has something better.

If you read far enough along, you can replace them with the revised part, which was introduced in 2010.5, and instead of a female torx on the bolt, it's male, which increased the mass and strength enough. All 20 are just $200, it seems.

I'm pretty sure you can replace them beforehand, but you still have to pull the engine and all of the bits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alarbus posted:

If you read far enough along, you can replace them with the revised part, which was introduced in 2010.5, and instead of a female torx on the bolt, it's male, which increased the mass and strength enough. All 20 are just $200, it seems.

I'm pretty sure you can replace them beforehand, but you still have to pull the engine and all of the bits.

It's also mentioned in there somewhere that Mercedes refused to do any preventative work on it. You had to wait for coolant to start showing up in the oil before they'd take action because it was such an expensive job.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

I buy my headbolts from home depot. They only cost 90 cents. Suck it big bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhQPgr0xhs

worth a watch, without spoilers.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

glyph posted:

Paging Adiabatic to the failure thread :siren:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I was expecting Alaska Airlines Flight 261.

Lube your bolts, friends.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Paging Adiabatic to the failure thread :siren:

I actually went and looked. His E63 is a 2011 model, so hopefully he's in the clear. :ohdear:

nm posted:

Yes you can, seems you can swap them one at at time, though they're TTY and torque procedure is 20nm, 50nm, then 90 degrees three times. Maybe it's a MB specific forum, but there was a lot of debate about whether, if doing them one at a time, you just go for 50nm and 270 degrees past in one motion.

Brand specific car forums are such a loving backwater of the internet, so who knows.

Fake edit: I still want an r63. What a batshit insane car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Landing gear screw? Or flap?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

glyph posted:

thats one hell of a loving amazing failure mode. superior German alloys indeed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CommieGIR posted:

Horizontal stabilizer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

Horizontal stabiliser.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

glyph posted:

Earlier M20s in E30s can do this (the hex-head bolts, the 6-lobe heads are the updated ones).

Yeah, this kind of thing is treated really, really seriously. Everyone (knowingly) involved thoroughly deserves whatever severe arsefucking they got.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That accident is also at least a partial inspiration for the opening scene of Flight. That flight crew tried loving everything, and it just wasn't their day.

:(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Horizontal stabiliser.

Oh...Ohhhhh, I know what that is from :smith:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

glyph posted:

I want you to know that this completely destroyed my morning. I'm not sure how long it took, but I had no choice but to read that thread and the guy's loving garage (Grosh) overhaul. :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I want you to know that this completely destroyed my morning. I'm not sure how long it took, but I had no choice but to read that thread and the guy's loving garage (Grosh) overhaul. :stare:

mazdeuce is one of the best posters on GRM, I think.

Don't forget his One Lap threads while you're in there.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I spend so much time reading GRM now after finding it due to that thread and the DustBuster van on the g6 chassis.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I tried to read that thread but it seems to be a lot of MB bashing because they wouldn't warranty a 10 year old engine with 94k on it to the second owner who didn't buy it from a dealer.

Yeah the bolt failure sucks and shouldn't happen but expecting a free $57k engine under those circumstances shouldn't even be a thought that crosses your mind. Expensive cars require expensive repairs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Grassroots Motorsports is the only magazine I subscribe to, and it's just because they are an awesome group.

Oh, wait, Roadracing World too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

xzzy posted:

(he was quoting/paraphrasing a comedian)

This bit of Ron Whites specifically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8rC6CPCvM

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

BlackMK4 posted:

Don't we have a goon that just bought one of these?

Well, he already has a lift, so.....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

rdb posted:

I tried to read that thread but it seems to be a lot of MB bashing because they wouldn't warranty a 10 year old engine with 94k on it to the second owner who didn't buy it from a dealer.

Yeah the bolt failure sucks and shouldn't happen but expecting a free $57k engine under those circumstances shouldn't even be a thought that crosses your mind. Expensive cars require expensive repairs.

It also had to do with it being a known issue, then the dealer trying to charge double the list price for the parts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Godholio posted:

It also had to do with it being a known issue, then the dealer trying to charge double the list price for the parts.

Sounds like every german manuf dealership ever. Most of the people at my local dealer don't even look at me when I walk in to head for the parts counter on the rare occasion that they aren't 40-80% higher than buying from another dealer online.
gently caress your suits.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I spend so much time reading GRM now after finding it due to that thread and the DustBuster van on the g6 chassis.

Only gripe I have is the Berkeley autocorrect on the forums (fora?) over there, what a bunch of bullE36M3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

glyph posted:

Instead of a $57k (!) bill to R&R the engine at a dealer,

$57,000 to 'fix' a known problem.

That's dumb.