Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That being said, if you've never seen it, might as well hold out for the blu ray

This was my approach with Short Cuts. I waited so long that I finally said gently caress it and held out for the blu...which I now own, and ironically have no way of watching because my PS3 is broken. :v: But I'm working insane amounts of overtime this week so I'm ordering a PS4 next payday. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I'm new to Criterion collecting (just started last December to be precise) and I know Criterion usually holds one of their two flash sales during February - but I was wondering when exactly? The first week, second week? Is there a drawback with this sale like high S&H that stack up per title?

Appreciate the responses!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disharmony posted:

I'm new to Criterion collecting (just started last December to be precise) and I know Criterion usually holds one of their two flash sales during February - but I was wondering when exactly? The first week, second week? Is there a drawback with this sale like high S&H that stack up per title?

There's no set time. The only catch to the flash sale is that you have to spend $50 to get free shipping. Not a big deal since that means you just have to buy at least three normal releases.

Basically, their flash sales make the prices identical to B&N sale prices.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Egbert Souse posted:

There's no set time. The only catch to the flash sale is that you have to spend $50 to get free shipping. Not a big deal since that means you just have to buy at least three normal releases.

That's actually not bad at all. Thinking of probably just waiting for the flash sale rather than buy some of the second hand ones I'm seeing in Reddit.

One other thing: from your experience, do the stocks disappear real quick? And does the site get hammered pretty bad?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Disharmony posted:

That's actually not bad at all. Thinking of probably just waiting for the flash sale rather than buy some of the second hand ones I'm seeing in Reddit.

One other thing: from your experience, do the stocks disappear real quick? And does the site get hammered pretty bad?

In my experience the site always runs fine during the sales, but really popular titles* (it took me 3 sales before catching Brazil in stock for some reason) and new releases tend to go really quickly and the sale price is not honored on out of stock movies and pre-orders (unless that's changed).

e: *might not be the case for popular titles anymore as well since they've been sales for several years regularly now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its not necessarily just about popularity, but anything that's a relatively new release tends to go fast during the sales. So if its popular AND new, its going to be tough to get it.

I remember Dr. Strangelove sold out within like 2 hours or something.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Disharmony posted:

I've been buying from their flash sales for the past 5 years and it seems the pattern is between February 23 and February 26 in the winter, though 2015 was a fluke where the flash sale was on March 10, and flash sales always fall on a Tuesday.

EDIT:

My prediction is that next month's Flash Sale is either going to be the 21st or the 28th.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 25, 2017

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Disharmony posted:

What movies did you get so far?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Flash sales happen when I have no money.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What movies did you get so far?

Funnily, I got in by accident. Someone was selling an OOP boxset of Guinea Pig and threw in the Salo as a sweetener. When I met up with the guy I was surprised to see it had really cool packaging and had all sorts of extras you normally don't see with regular releases.

Went through the catalog and found some stuff I never knew existed and blind bought them (400 Blows - haven't opened it yet, State of Siege - fantastic!) and some I've already seen but wanted a better format (i.e. Eraserhead, Le Samourai).

The next phase is more of the same. Really loved Naked and I'd like to hear the commentary track on it. Then try to score a good deal on maybe Fanny & Alexander or Persona (premise on this one seems clicheic now when I read the synopsis which suggests it's the trope maker).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Disharmony posted:

Funnily, I got in by accident. Someone was selling an OOP boxset of Guinea Pig and threw in the Salo as a sweetener. When I met up with the guy I was surprised to see it had really cool packaging and had all sorts of extras you normally don't see with regular releases.

Went through the catalog and found some stuff I never knew existed and blind bought them (400 Blows - haven't opened it yet, State of Siege - fantastic!) and some I've already seen but wanted a better format (i.e. Eraserhead, Le Samourai).

The next phase is more of the same. Really loved Naked and I'd like to hear the commentary track on it. Then try to score a good deal on maybe Fanny & Alexander or Persona (premise on this one seems clicheic now when I read the synopsis which suggests it's the trope maker).

please watch 400 blows ASAP

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

blue squares posted:

please watch 400 blows ASAP

I second that recommendation. In fact it's been over 25 years since I've seen - I need to re-watch it (It's on my Criterion wish list at the moment).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Now that Criterion licensed Rumble Fish, what are the chances they also announce The Cotton Club some time in the future?

I remember back on Robert Rodriguez's interview show that Francis Ford Coppola said he not only did a 4k remaster of it but added 20 minutes of footage back into it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It loaded fine for me, it's just a list of potentially upcoming titles like:

2017 New Years Clues:

Certains:
Ghost World
Fanny, Cesar, Marius
16 Candles
Stalker
Dheepan
They Live by Night
Mysterious Object at Noon
Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles upgrade
Arsenic and Old Lace
Polyester
A Wedding
----
Best other guesses:
Night of the Living Dead
Roman Holiday
Princess Bride
West Side Story

What's the clue for Polyester?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Now that Criterion licensed Rumble Fish, what are the chances they also announce The Cotton Club some time in the future?

I remember back on Robert Rodriguez's interview show that Francis Ford Coppola said he not only did a 4k remaster of it but added 20 minutes of footage back into it.

Yes please. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my grandfather's movie collection and that one's on the list.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Likely. MGM owns The Cotton Club from the Embassy library (same library with The Graduate, This is Spinal Tap, and The Lion in Winter).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just watched Do the Right Thing for the first time and found it to be an amazing experience. But while reading about it online, I found that it has a criterion DVD release with the same special features as a non-criterion bluray available on Amazon. Is this a common incidence?

https://www.criterion.com/films/286-do-the-right-thing
https://www.amazon.com/Do-the-Right...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: ignore me

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

blue squares posted:

I just watched Do the Right Thing for the first time and found it to be an amazing experience. But while reading about it online, I found that it has a criterion DVD release with the same special features as a non-criterion bluray available on Amazon. Is this a common incidence?

https://www.criterion.com/films/286-do-the-right-thing
https://www.amazon.com/Do-the-Right...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It happens sometimes. It depends on who owns what features, whether they're willing to license stuff from criterion (commentary tracks are sometimes licensed like Taxi Diver). Usually though, there's something missing or something else included.

But that BD might be the one where the color timing is messed up, unless they reissued it without me knowing.

Basically, the film should be pushed towards the red end of the spectrum, but the BD has more natural colors, which is stylistically inaccurate.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So that would mean eventual criterion blu ray release, Yeah?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ideas?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The Tie that Cost Money

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Looks like it's Taipei Story (tie-pay). Wish I was clever enough to figure that out.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

taipei story is a major masterpiece and im glad more people will finally be able to see it

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

Dr. Strangelove spoiler, sorta?
Am I the only one who idiotically cackled when the 'Plan R' envelope for the booklet fell into my lap immediately after opening the package?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Death of Salesman in the new criterion book format.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Heck yes, A Brighter Summer Day restoration exceeded my already high expectations so hard and now this!
With hopefully Hou Hsiao-Hsien movies coming next they'll have their work set for years.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Just look at this https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4176-restoration-spotlight-a-brighter-summer-day

I was one of those who just saw the HK laserdisc edition and this time I was just mouth agape for four hours

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Vesi posted:

Heck yes, A Brighter Summer Day restoration exceeded my already high expectations so hard and now this!
With hopefully Hou Hsiao-Hsien movies coming next they'll have their work set for years.

I watched it a couple of days ago and good lord what a beautiful film. The clarity, depth of focus, lighting and composition in every shot is just perfect. There was something to drink in in every single scene. I really need to see the rest of Yang's work. Already seen and loved Yi Yi.

I sadly haven't seen any Hou at all.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

For the :canada: goons out there, reminder that HMV is going out of business so you might be able to snag a Criterion for a relatively reasonable price. 10% off Blu rays which ain't much but I got Kwaidan for $25 which is what the equivalent B&N sale price would be without shipping).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thora Birch confirmed on Twitter that Ghost World is coming this year.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was watching Ghost World the other day and realized I live a few blocks from the very first few shots in this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmZHxn6UJ8A

That Popeyes is a Thai restaurant now.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 5, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Cacator posted:

For the :canada: goons out there, reminder that HMV is going out of business so you might be able to snag a Criterion for a relatively reasonable price. 10% off Blu rays which ain't much but I got Kwaidan for $25 which is what the equivalent B&N sale price would be without shipping).

I'm sad to hear that HMV is going out of business. I ended up getting that Trilogia di Guillermo Del Toro Criterion set there after Amazon kept sending me sets without Cronos. I don't want to have to rely on online shops for everything. That kinda sucks.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Criminal Minded posted:

The Assassin should be readily available and a good start

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vesi posted:

The Assassin should be readily available and a good start

Yeah, The Assassin's on Netflix streaming if you've got it, and it's beautiful if you've got the patience for it (Hou's work can be an acquired taste, but if you've got the stomach for slow cinema, it's breathtaking).

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

I watched it a couple of days ago and good lord what a beautiful film. The clarity, depth of focus, lighting and composition in every shot is just perfect. There was something to drink in in every single scene. I really need to see the rest of Yang's work. Already seen and loved Yi Yi.

there is an unfortunate dearth of hou on region 1 disc, pretty much only his post-2000 material, which is some of his most accessible (but also imo some of his weakest.)

i'll diverge from the above and say start with millennium mambo or three times. the assassin is certainly beautiful and a good movie but unless you have a passing knowledge of wuxia it may be fairly opaque.

i think there's a r1 dvd of the puppetmaster out but i'm guessing it looks like dogshit. there's a bunch available in other region codes if you have a player though

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Hewlett posted:

Hou's work can be an acquired taste, but if you've got the stomach for slow cinema, it's breathtaking.

Yeah I know it divided the audiences pretty sharply, but if a person is posting in this thread I expect they'll like it. A new wave martial arts film is certainly breaking new ground. Great Ozu homages too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never seen a Hou film largely because all the Yang fans I know hate him/think he does everything wrong about slow cinema that Yang does right. Been meaning to check out The Assassin for a minute, though,

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Their scope is just different, Yang usually has a huge cast and more social commentary tied to a specific time and place while Hou is more intimate and personal. That's why a Hou movie works just as well in ancient fantasy-China as in 60's Taiwan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Selling some Criterions (Blu-Ray, DVD, Eclipse, some OOP) in SA Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809142