Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the long war 2 has been hit or miss with me so far. i've enjoyed the expanded classes quite a bit, i like that the gunner can knife fight for whatever reason. the return of the arc thrower is mehhhhh. being able to do a mission with 1-10 people is sort of fun, but the first month balance in your haven is sort of hosed up so you basically have to set every one of those people to intel in order to have a decent shot at infiltrating a mission with a reasonable amount of people in a reasonable amount of time.

for some reason they set it so that faceless can infiltrate your haven and do sabotage, except again, its wildly unbalanced in the first month and they can take 80% of your first month supplies, which combined with having to buy every single weapon or armor upgrade individually again makes funds super hosed up.

commanders are neat, they can do a lot of cool stuff like extending mission timers or giving everyone a huge hit bonus on one target for a turn. actually, i think most of my complaints about lw2 would be solved if the missions were all untimed again, as the larger pods are really designed to be dealt with using buffs and debuffs, but a lot of times these larger pods just spread out and hunker down in lovely cover and waste a lot of your time, which would be more fun to deal with if the mission clock wasnt a huge impediment in that case. i know its supposed to provide extra challenge or whatever but its mostly just gaming the system to annoy you which isnt the sort of challenge i am in to.

also yakuza 0 is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

there's a non-zero chance I eventually abandon the JoJo name theming at some point and make my team an extended Yakuza reference, because Yakuza, as a series, is loving dope as hell.

e: also I really felt this way about Long War EU and am not surprised that the difficulty feels artificial, because a lot of the "XCOM difficulty" that they try to recapture is essentially: total bullshit system-gaming that is meant to test how well you know the game instead of how well you can actually play in some respects. I like some of the individual bits and pieces but I'm not sure I like the whole of what they've done on either Long War 2 or Long War EU

also reverting the change to having a uniform upgrade fee over having to buy inidividual bits of armor is dumb and smacks of them not realizing why that call was made in the first place i m h o

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 27, 2017

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Xcom is dumb and 95% shots miss way too often

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Week 12 Injury Report

Detroit Wolverines
Mike Henneman (RP) (Barely seems worth mentioning) - 10 days

Khartoum Doom
Billy Hamilton (OF) (Doom of the Doom) - 47 days

Oklahoma City Bombers
Lefty Grove (SP) (Sacrifices must be made) - 32 days

Slaughterhouse Nine
Joe Morgan (2B) (Unstuck in time!) - 130 days

South Dakota Marmosets
Joe Nathan (RP) (Baker) - 28 days

Pick 'em: XXI-Com, Apparently

Triple Crown Championships
Portland Panderers (c) @ Oklahoma City Bombers

Grand Slam Championships
Khartoum Doom (c) @ Akabira Killer Mikes

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Grand Slam Championships

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

champs retain

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sub-Par League IX, Week 11: My Last Act Before Resigning

Games of the Weak

Keith Wuncler CXXXIV posted:

TKBomber was in a dark room, by himself. A man needs a sit and ponder and mull the decisions that have lead to a certain point in life. He was – maybe still is – the man who sowed terror in the Super-League. A man whose very name was synonymous was dominance unyielding, his team excising victory from some rather untidy surroundings with the precision of a neurosurgeon. It was so, until the Skyhawks were destroyed in that hubristic pursuit of glory, and their memory receded into a past that was no longer historical but now mythological. Even as the documents of the Super-League were unearthed, excavated from a pit of collective amnesia to be “preserved” in another moldering archive, TKBomber felt nothing.

Old glories are meaningless in this present reality, a reality in which he took a once glorious team and led it to demotion. In many ways the Losers were the successors to the Skyhawks. As the terror of the Skyhawks faded into the warm glow of the dying of its funeral pyre, the Losers rose and carved their bloody swathe through the League. But that too is also in the past. Humungous is dead. The Vae Victis has been the playground of a perfidious German, not a mountain of flesh whose anger rent the earth and sky upon a loss. The League, too, has slipped from the iron grasp of the Losers.

TKBomber pondered all these things. He thought of the unique talents he had in the Losers and how they were squandered. He thought of his erstwhile Tag Team partner who has also been sent to oblivion. In his darkened room, he stewed and brooded and frowned. He considered the ways the Losers have floundered in Vae Victis and now standing on a precipice in a way that this team has never before understood, he was filled with doubt and angst. He never managed to recapture the magic of original Skyhawks, his successive teams seeing the playoffs twice in nearly fifteen seasons of post-Skyhawks obliteration.

"The League has changed so much," he said aloud to no one present. He felt the need to justify himself to his ghosts. He may well join them soon, at the rate he was plummeting in the standings. Life in the Sub-Par was harsh and allowed few mistakes. He reviewed, for the hundredth time, his moves. Like most owners he paid what might be the appropriate amount of attention to the team; changing for injuries, setting the roster for an upcoming season, drafting talent when called upon. "The quiescent team is the team that isn't pulverized by Smasher's unending ire for being forced to attend to the minutiae of small and meaningless changes," goes the ancient Super-League proverb and TKBomber hewed to that saying well. He turned over every decision in his head, every change. What was his error? How did he --

"Mr. TKBomber, sir." Satchel Paige never failed to be polite. Many seasons in Rockford taught him the value of deference in the masked face of tyranny made manifest. "When you're done wallowing in existential despair, we're ready to begin the game."

"Isn't it midnight? I thought we were in the deepest night so I could be free to question my worth as a human."

Paige shook his head. "Remember? We're in Canada for the series with the Broomstackers. This up north the sun rarely ventures out to give light to this benighted land." He walked to the windows and threw open the curtains. An eerie tableau of fog and Halifaxians greeted the pair.

"Oh. drat. And I thought my life sucked. Guess the right and proper thing to do is to sweep them and make an ironic mockery of their name, right?"

Paige gave a small smile. "Nothing can be worse than being a Mets fan in the Atlantic provinces. It's a perfect mix of despair and hopelessness."

And the Losers destroyed the Broomstackers. TKBomber thought he heard the basso profundo laughter of a specter reveling in mindless carnage but dismissed it without further reflection.

REFLECTIONS UPON A LIFE ILL-SPENT

- And so the Losers go on a 22-5 run across the series. The Broomstackers will be feeling that for a while.

- The Losers have a good mix of power and OBP which is painful to a rotation of deadballers.

- It wasn't all bad for the Broomstackers, they took an early lead but it's impossible to hold the Losers down if you're going to pitch to contact.

- Not an auspicious start for Yogi Berra. He should be better.

Box Score

Frank Gaiman posted:

ORIGAMI TSUNAMIS: NOT ACTUALLY GOOD

Glastonbury - Faced by an increasingly-horrifying world, RevenantThreshold boarded the skiff.

"I know not where Avalon is," he said, "but if ever it needed to be found, the time is now."

"I'll bet you don't find it," said Pete Rose to his team's owner.

"You'll bet on anything and everything, Pete. I don't even know why I asked you to come with me on this journey."

"Perhaps because I'm an easy character to write for in that I'll do all kinds of awful stuff and the readers are already predisposed to hate me so it won't bother them when a childhood hero or baseball legend engages in nefarious activity?"

"Yes, that's probably it. Capital idea, that," said RevenantThreshold.

Rose leaned over the side of the skiff to spit a disgusting wad of phlegm, and that's when he saw it.

"Land! Land ho!" he shouted.

"Impossible!" said RevenantThreshold. "We just left the harbor not five minutes ago and there's nothing out here but open ocean."

"Look!" Rose pointed out. And indeed, on the horizon, through the mists, both owner and player could make out an island still partially obscured by fog, with only a sole lighthouse burning to guide them.

"Row! Row!" shouted the Knights owner, as they sped toward the island that shouldn't be there.

By the time they landed the boat, Revenant Threshold knew something was different. This was no mere island. The sigil of the Knights of the Round Table was enscribed in small pebbles on the beach. "My god," he said, breathlessly. "This is it...we've reached Avalon!"

"So this Arthur guy. Can he hit?" asked Rose.

"No!" shouted RT. "Well, probably. I suspect he can do mostly anything. But that's not why we're here."

Making their way through the island, they eventually came to a mausoleum. Glowing runes were on its surface. "Wonder what it says," asked RT to himself.

"Here lies Arthur Pendragon, King of the Britains. He will return in our darkest hour," said Rose.

"Wait, you can read that?"

"Boss I can't read at all," said Rose. "It just kinda popped into my head."

They descended into the tomb and eventually discovered where Arthur lay. The man looked as if he'd just laid down for a nap. The wound he'd taken in battle looked healed, and certainly not as mortal as the legends claimed.

Trembling, RevenantThreshold took a breath. "Arthur, you are needed. Darkness has fallen across the land. Britain is leaving its allies in a political stunt that'll leave its most vulnerable natives worse off. Men and women are fleeing from oppressive regimes all over the world, but finding themselves turned away by cowards and charlatans. Far to the west, a madman rules. A team of Curt Schillings is dominating the Super League. Please, we need your help."

But Arthur did not stir.

"Well, you were able to speak the language before," said RevenantThreshold. "Maybe you can get him to arise?"

Rose walked up, having heard the speech a moment ago, and knew what he must do.

"Arthur, the loving Origami Tsunamis are threatning to win. A Pungry team. gently caress the rest of that stuff."

Arthur's eyes flashed, and soon thereafter RevenantThreshold and Rose found themselves back at the dock where they'd originally launched the skiff from.

"Rose you monster!" shouted the Knights owner. "All these injustices and crises and that's what you focus on?"

"Just did what needed done, boss," replied Rose, hoisting the newly-acquired <NAME GOES HERE> championship belt acquired from sweeping the Tsunamis.

GAME NOTES

- Jimmy "loving" Key is mortal!

- Today's game had a nice temperature.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Seems like you need better lefties in the bullpen.

Analysis

Speaker's overall rating seems to have randomly dropped hundreds of points, but it all seems to be due to a loss of speed. Theoretically, he can still hit.

Analysis

What a strange season.

Analysis

Babe Ruth is over the Mendoza line!

Analysis

This month has been less good.

Analysis

Pedro good!

Analysis

The Landers are not a good matchup to throw 3 left-handed pitchers against.

Analysis

D'oh!

Analysis

Make up your mind.

Analysis

You lack discipline.

Analysis

Beat the Slimes head-to-head twice, and you'll effectively kill them.

Analysis

I dunno.

Analysis

What is going on in this division?

Analysis

As promised, you got at least one win.

Analysis

Try out Edd Roush in center.

Analysis

Well, it's something.

Analysis

D'oh!

Analysis

In terms of z-score, you're 1.55 standard deviations above the average in runs allowed. Amazing!

Analysis

Rockford will not be denied.

Analysis

Gruh.

Standings

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It's true, I could actually be winning instead of dropping games randomly. Shouldn't have dropped 2 to the Berners.

Raines is alive, but Carew's sore, so time for more finagling.

Raines back in LF, Manny back to DH, Carew to the Bench, Franco to 2B

Lineup for the week:

1. LF Raines
2. 1B Gehrig
3. C I-Rod
4. 3B Mathews/Kell
5. DH Manny
6. RF Sheff
7. CF Thomas
8. SS Boudreau
9. 2B Franco

Thanks, McFreeze!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Huh. Gotta say "contending for worst record in the entire Subpar League" wasn't how I expected the first half of the season to go.

No changes. gently caress the sore people.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Pickem
Mikes take panderers retain

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

One day I'll hold titles for more than a week.

Pick Em:

Bombers and Mikes take.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
Pick 'em
Champs retain.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Panderers and Mikes will have belts at the end of this week.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Pick them: Bombers win, Doom retain.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Champs retain.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

SUPER LEAGUE XCOM2: EPISODE ONE CLICK HERE

Some notes:
1.) Pash, TMMadman, and kw0134 aren't built yet. But they will be before episode 2!
2.) Not sure what happened with the microphone a couple of times. Seems to be working now, though.
3.) I started building the Guerilla Warfare Center at the end of the episode, but without voiceover to explain what it is and why. Basically it's the equivalent of the Officer Training School from XCOM1, and gives some really important bonuses. Perhaps most importantly, it'll get me the ability to bring 5, and later 6 units into battle. Being 25% and later 20% stronger is a big deal. So is the ability to promote rookies to a useful class without having to take them into battle--you saw how worthless rookies are in this very episode, as Shepard nearly got himself killed by being a lovely shot.

Oh, and separately: CHAMPS RETAIN

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Portland Panderers (c)

Grand Slam Championships
Khartoum Doom (c)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mel Ott to RF, Mike Schmidt to 3B, and Carlton Fisk back to C.

1. Bill Terry
2. Lefty O'Doul
3. Mel Ott
4. Willie Mays
5. Travis Jackson
6. Rod Carew
7. Mike Schmidt
8. Carlton Fisk
9. Pitcher

Also, Panderers and Killer Mikes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

FairGame posted:

SUPER LEAGUE XCOM2: EPISODE ONE CLICK HERE

Some notes:
1.) Pash, TMMadman, and kw0134 aren't built yet. But they will be before episode 2!
2.) Not sure what happened with the microphone a couple of times. Seems to be working now, though.
3.) I started building the Guerilla Warfare Center at the end of the episode, but without voiceover to explain what it is and why. Basically it's the equivalent of the Officer Training School from XCOM1, and gives some really important bonuses. Perhaps most importantly, it'll get me the ability to bring 5, and later 6 units into battle. Being 25% and later 20% stronger is a big deal. So is the ability to promote rookies to a useful class without having to take them into battle--you saw how worthless rookies are in this very episode, as Shepard nearly got himself killed by being a lovely shot.

Oh, and separately: CHAMPS RETAIN
The least surprising thing of that was Mentholmoose purposefully missing his shots to ensure shepard's grisly death.

And then his plan falling apart at the last second by dumb luck.

Are engineers even real characters, or just a "team" in the background that provides upgrades? You said I'd be an engineer but I only saw wildstyles the drone pilot.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

All retain.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

marauder, you have the next two picks

Pander posted:

The least surprising thing of that was Mentholmoose purposefully missing his shots to ensure shepard's grisly death.

And then his plan falling apart at the last second by dumb luck.

Are engineers even real characters, or just a "team" in the background that provides upgrades? You said I'd be an engineer but I only saw wildstyles the drone pilot.

They're real characters. You didn't see any because I don't have any.

Also, we need to bump things town to commander difficulty--one level lower. Just had everyone but monathin get killed, including poor Yoshida. I'm too out of practice to play legendary right now, I think.

Episode 2 will be a different campaign, though one that skips the opening mission in the stream. It's always the same mission with the same 4 soldiers and the exact same enemy composition,

FairGame fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 27, 2017

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Grand Slam Championships

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Mikes win, Pander panders

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Our travells carry us abroad across both lande and sea, and beneficiall and valewabel as ocean trade has beene, therein we have been blest with a shipe wholy owned by the godly, whereas by land, the publick rodes and trafficks render each soujourne perillous and trying; thus, a machine that can undergoe hard and continuall labor in carying the clubb acros the land is a necessitie. A younge but Big Train is calld for.

Walter Johnson '07 in the rotation at #4, McGinnity to #5, Leever to the DL.

McGraw back in at 3B, Keister at 2B, Jack Rowe gets all catcher starts this week.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The Gumshoes select

elderly Jimmie Foxx and

putting him in at 1B for the week, sending down Billy Herman for roster space.

Harlock is up, spreadsheet here.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Everyone retains.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Champs retain.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Champs retain.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bench Johnny Ray.
Call up Eric Soderholm and make him starting 3B, give Wright a week off.
Swap Bob Rhoads and Cy Young.
Replace Clay Carroll with Bryan Harvey.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pick'Em: Panderers, Mikes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pick 'em

Champs retain

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

No injuries!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

finally!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Some injuries!

RABIDSQUID STARRING IN: SUPER LEAGUE XCOM2: CHAPTER TWO

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I need someone to run the next EC.

Any volunteers?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I've mentioned it but I can help run the EC next time.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Well, I guess I'm not tweaking my line up after all!

I took too long to decide.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Grand Slam Championships

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hey, if any team is interested in the 42 year old Mariano Rivera in the Super-Draft, you should trade for mine, which is two years younger, instead. He's had some good seasons even if he's not now. And getting away from OKC will probably help on its own. There's a couple guys I'm interested in, so let me know if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Maybe I should look to trade into the draft. Maybe I'm just lazy. Yeah, I think that's probably true. Guess I won't trade into the draft because trading is work.