Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rirse posted:

Wow, I am surprise Saturn has a good emulator now. I figured it would be stuck in the same limbo the original Xbox is at. Always seems to happens to any system that has a Panzer Dragoon game on it.
I mean, SSF's been at this point for like ten years, at least. I was playing on SSF sophomore year of college, 2007.

That said, it hasn't updated in a few years, and the last release has some issues I'm not fond of (some horizontal spans of sprites refuse to draw at weird moments - Powerslave exhibits this quite clearly), so there's still room for improvement. I know Yabause is still kinda assy (but much better than it was ten years ago, at least), and don't really know how Mednafen fares at the moment...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That line bug is a known issue and the developer website still has the previous version that doesn't have that bug and the note to use it if you notice errors.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Martytoof posted:

drat, that early 90s SFC plastic can be eggshell brittle. Bought a dead unit on eBay to try and retrobright. Was packaged allright, but when I opened it and picked it up it just kind of.. caved in.

That is really bizarre as the build quality & materials of SNES and SFC was really good compared to other systems of the time

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay bought the SD2SNES then. I am selling my old Super Everdrive here in SA Mart.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807633

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fishmech posted:

It's also the same generation that had the Amiga CD32 and the Apple Pippin, which were both horrible trashfires of design.

The CDTV was a way bigger disaster than the CD32 but it's a little early since it came out in '91.

Let's release an A500 with a 1x CD-ROM drive as a piece of high-end stereo equipment.

Let's also charge extra for a keyboard and mouse for it that turns it into an A500 in a stereo system case.

Also we'll only advertise it in Amiga magazines next to teasers for CD-ROM expansions for A500s. (The CD-ROM expansion for the A500 came out in 1992. The A500 was discontinued in 1991 in favor of the A600. The CD-ROM expansion was incompatible with the A600. :commodore:)

Also it costs a thousand dollars.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

d0s posted:

That is really bizarre as the build quality & materials of SNES and SFC was really good compared to other systems of the time

I think it's the beige plastic, since a lot of light colored plastic from the time is becoming brittle. It's probably worse if you live in a hot and humid environment too.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I think the Wii U is pretty much the same as the GameCube and Nintendo 64; a strong crop of first-party games and not many notable exclusives beyond the Nintendo sphere. The only difference is that the GC and Nintendo 64 have a lot more dross.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Played a little Journey to Silius tonight and I don't know why this game is generally well thought of. Sunsoft really knew how to get the best picture and sound out of an NES but the game is just a slog. You have to move very slowly and deliberately to not take a bunch of hits, and a lot of enemies are placed such that they'll be occupying a space you might otherwise be in when they move on screen, or will be firing into that space the moment they scroll into view. Having to pause to switch weapons bogs it down a bit more, although I guess I can't complain too much since I never have with Mega Man.

I've heard this was originally going to be a licensed Terminator game, and honestly can't think of it as anything else now. It just really feels like it what with how futuristic yet dreary everything is and the game's plot isn't exactly all that memorable.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Journey to Silius belongs to a class of mediocre-at-best games elevated closer to greatness by awesome soundtracks. See also: NES Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Genesis versions of Midnight Resistance and Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. And Chrono Cross for a lot of people, though I love it warts and all.

Way back when the quality of NES emulators was a lot less consistent, I used Journey to Silius to evaluate them. This is why I stuck with the Mac emulator GrayBox for a long time despite awful mapper support and a lack of features. It just didn't sound nearly as good in any of the other available options.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 27, 2017

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Charles Get-Out posted:

Uh...what do you mean? In what way is Burning Rangers not a 3D game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh2Ujhqzuec

It's 3D, but the Saturn goes about rendering it in an rear end-backwards way, by modern standards. All textured polygons are warped, perspective-corrected sprites. This video illustrates how it worked. Which means that it renders in quads, and not triangles like the PSX and N64 - a big reason why porting to the Saturn was often not worth the effort for developers (the other being its distant third place behind Sony and Nintendo).

Burning Rangers is interesting in how it uses one of the background layers... from VDP2, I think?... to render the fire effects. This video goes into that, and the weirdnesses of the Saturn's video chipset in detail, if the guy's accent doesn't turn you off too much.

TL;DR it was a powerful piece of hardware, but unfortunately not in ways that mattered to the direction the market was moving in.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 27, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the link to the patcher for the high quality music for the SD2SNES?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Saturn's polygons actually being sprites makes total sense, given how much their prior work depended on sprite-scaling. Hell, I only found out about Dark Edge a few months ago, and while flawed is a bizarre and awesome accomplishment.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

What the link to the patcher for the high quality music for the SD2SNES?

The various patches along with readmes can be found at romhacking.net. Also there is a thread with compiled links to ready to use patch packs on emuparadise forums, just gotta register. Anything by Darkshock is good. Personally I like Super Metroid and LTTP patches the most.

When you get your SD2SNES and if/when trouble, shoot me a PM, I remember well stumbling my way across these things.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 27, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I think the Wii U is pretty much the same as the GameCube and Nintendo 64; a strong crop of first-party games and not many notable exclusives beyond the Nintendo sphere. The only difference is that the GC and Nintendo 64 have a lot more dross.

The GC and N64 also have some strong third party exclusive titles which seem to be completely absent on the Wii U, apart from TANK TANK TANK which I was really pleased to see get a home release

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

d0s posted:

The GC and N64 also have some strong third party exclusive titles which seem to be completely absent on the Wii U, apart from TANK TANK TANK which I was really pleased to see get a home release

I'm surprised Sin and Punishment actually got a second VC run on the WiiU, though it was admittedly probably due to Successor to the Skies getting an eShop release as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

d0s posted:

I'm still surprised that Capcom decided to make the GC the primary platform for REmake, RE Zero and RE4. Eventually ports came out for other systems, but for a long time, they were GC-exclusive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And the first release of the MGS Twin Snakes. Best MGS release IMO.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

And the first release of the MGS Twin Snakes. Best MGS release IMO.
Twin Snakes only ever came out on the Gamecube.

Also, uh, debatable

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's what I thought, but was too lazy to look up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

It should have been difficult for Sega to whiff on the design of their 32-bit console as badly as they did, seeing how their Model 2 and 3 hardware ruled the high-end arcade market, but they managed somehow (although I suppose the arcade systems being co-designed by Lockheed Martin didn't help the team working on the consumer hardware).
The origin of Sega's arcade hardware isn't quite as cut-and-dry as that. Model 1 was developed entirely internally at Sega. For Model 2, Sega went to GE Aerospace (who would later become a part of Lockheed Martin through a series of acquisitions) and licensed a US$2 million texture-mapping chip from their expensive flight simulator hardware, which was then squeezed down by Sega to the point where it could be manufactured for $50 and combined with Fujitsu DSPs running custom Sega-authored microcode.

Sometime that was either near the end of '95 or the start of '96, the team that developed that Model 2 chip at GE was spun off into a seperate company, Real3D, which developed a full-fledged GPU for the Model 3. The story goes that Real3D were also working on a "Saturn 2" using a consumer version of their Model 3 tech, but for various reasons the project was dropped in favor of the 3DFX-powered "Black Belt", which in turn was dropped in favor of the PowerVR-based "Katana" that became the Dreamcast. Real3D was closed shortly after.

Shadow Hog posted:

I know Yabause is still kinda assy (but much better than it was ten years ago, at least), and don't really know how Mednafen fares at the moment...
The Mednafen core is also in RetroArch. I don't know if it's technically better than SSF, but I tried Quake and Duke 3D in it (since Yabuse typically hasn't handled them gracefully) and they were fine, so...

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm still surprised that Capcom decided to make the GC the primary platform for REmake, RE Zero and RE4. Eventually ports came out for other systems, but for a long time, they were GC-exclusive.
Capcom was big on the GameCube and wanted to consolidate the entire RE series onto one platform. A strange decision, to be sure, but can you really argue with the results...?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

Capcom was big on the GameCube and wanted to consolidate the entire RE series onto one platform. A strange decision, to be sure, but can you really argue with the results...?

I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy at that time, and picked the GC over the PS2 and Xbox.

I had a blast with the GC RE games, they are still really drat good. I'm about to start a new playthrough of RE4, but I'm considering getting the Wii version instead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Wii version is probably the second best version, after all the various ports to modern systems. It's got widescreen and 480p, the extra story scenarios, and you can play with the wii pointer, classic controller, or just keep using the gamecube controller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

The Wii version is probably the second best version, after all the various ports to modern systems. It's got widescreen and 480p, the extra story scenarios, and you can play with the wii pointer, classic controller, or just keep using the gamecube controller.

What's the best version, out of curiosity?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PC, I assume.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

PC, I assume.
The 2014 HD version, to be specific. The first PC port is... not as good.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Like I said, the modern ones on the PS4/Xbox One/Steam. They're at a higher frame rate and resolution, have the Separate Ways campaign, and have the real time cutscenes from the GC/Wii versions instead of the pre-rendered cutscenes from the Ubi PC port or the PS2 version.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I may just go for the PC version, then.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Got myself a Hori commander to go with my PC Engine Duo. Fits the color scheme perfectly, too.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I also have a duo on the way. Passed on the commander though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I do not have a Duo on the way. I do however have Dead or Alive 2, Headhunter and Powerstone coming in the mail for my Dreamcast.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I really want a duo r but the only place I find them is on eBay for $300 from Japan and I'm sure that there's a source to get them for lower than that. Where should I look?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

and I'm sure that there's a source to get them for lower than that.

Unfortunately, not really, short of physically going to Japan and MAYBE getting lucky at a thrift store there. $300 is about the right price for a DUO-R or RX.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

The various patches along with readmes can be found at romhacking.net. Also there is a thread with compiled links to ready to use patch packs on emuparadise forums, just gotta register. Anything by Darkshock is good. Personally I like Super Metroid and LTTP patches the most.

When you get your SD2SNES and if/when trouble, shoot me a PM, I remember well stumbling my way across these things.

Probably be a week since it backordered right now on Stoneage Gamer, but then again the N64 Everdrive was backordered and shipped a few days later. Anyway, right now my Super Everdrive has a 8 GB SD card which is serving it well, but should I just a 32 or 16 since I heard the music patch are big.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It depends on how many games you want, but the music patches are straight uncompressed CD-quality audio. I think the ff6 music patches are close to 2 gigs. Anyway it's not as if SD cards are priced like Vita memory cards.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

How do you use the gamecube controller? I could have sworn I tried that and it didn't work.

I love RE:4 and if I ever get a PS4 that'll be one of the first games I get for it, even though I already have it for GC, Wii, and 360.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

univbee posted:

It depends on how many games you want, but the music patches are straight uncompressed CD-quality audio. I think the ff6 music patches are close to 2 gigs. Anyway it's not as if SD cards are priced like Vita memory cards.

Exactly. Best Buy has 32 GB cards for only 15 today so I can go pick one up and easily put in a ton of cd patches.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just a warning on MSU-1 games and SD2SNES: you need to hold reset and get back to the menu before shutting off the system or you will not retain save data.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

The Kins posted:

The origin of Sega's arcade hardware isn't quite as cut-and-dry as that. Model 1 was developed entirely internally at Sega. For Model 2, Sega went to GE Aerospace (who would later become a part of Lockheed Martin through a series of acquisitions) and licensed a US$2 million texture-mapping chip from their expensive flight simulator hardware, which was then squeezed down by Sega to the point where it could be manufactured for $50 and combined with Fujitsu DSPs running custom Sega-authored microcode.

Sometime that was either near the end of '95 or the start of '96, the team that developed that Model 2 chip at GE was spun off into a seperate company, Real3D, which developed a full-fledged GPU for the Model 3. The story goes that Real3D were also working on a "Saturn 2" using a consumer version of their Model 3 tech, but for various reasons the project was dropped in favor of the 3DFX-powered "Black Belt", which in turn was dropped in favor of the PowerVR-based "Katana" that became the Dreamcast. Real3D was closed shortly after.

Huh. Well, that's substantially more in-depth than the info I had. Still, it's a shame that Sega's foresight failed when designing the Saturn. Their arcade division (specifically AM) was always on the bleeding edge technology-wise - I mean, compare Space Harrier to pretty much any other game released in 1985, for instance. But for whatever reason, their engineers apparently thought sprites would dominate for another console generation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Huh. Well, that's substantially more in-depth than the info I had. Still, it's a shame that Sega's foresight failed when designing the Saturn. Their arcade division (specifically AM) was always on the bleeding edge technology-wise - I mean, compare Space Harrier to pretty much any other game released in 1985, for instance. But for whatever reason, their engineers apparently thought sprites would dominate for another console generation.

I mean the sprite hardware in the Saturn isn't really the same as previous systems, and there ended up being tons of sprite based games on the PSX and N64 as well. The Saturn, PSX, and N64 were basically three different guesses at how to do a 3D console, none of which got it all right.

The Saturn's main wrong guess was quads instead of triangles, which seemed reasonable at the time. The PlayStation's main wrong guess was that proper texture mapping and vertex stability wasn't important. The N64's main wrong guess was that low texture memory would be ok.

But don't underestimate how much of the Saturn's problem was a simple neglect to provide good developer training, manuals, and SDKs. The PS3 had a far more complicated programming environment to deal with, but Sony provided a lot of training and tools to help with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

fishmech posted:

I mean the sprite hardware in the Saturn isn't really the same as previous systems, and there ended up being tons of sprite based games on the PSX and N64 as well. The Saturn, PSX, and N64 were basically three different guesses at how to do a 3D console, none of which got it all right.

The Saturn's main wrong guess was quads instead of triangles, which seemed reasonable at the time. The PlayStation's main wrong guess was that proper texture mapping and vertex stability wasn't important. The N64's main wrong guess was that low texture memory would be ok.

But don't underestimate how much of the Saturn's problem was a simple neglect to provide good developer training, manuals, and SDKs. The PS3 had a far more complicated programming environment to deal with, but Sony provided a lot of training and tools to help with that.

Nintendo's assumption was more that texture filtering could make up for having low res textures.

• Locked thread