Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
those dumb fucks could've actually, you know, used some common sense. But basically they knew.

Most people stay away from those situations, predatory people don't.

Harsher punishment feels better and sends a clear message. Don't gently caress a drugged up girl or you will get 1x years in prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Beeswax posted:

Despite often being painted as some sort of omnipotent manipulative cabal which controlled Sweden for most of the 20th century, Socialdemokraterna are complete bumbling idiots in most regards when it comes to playing the media and seizing any sort of narrative initiative.

It also doesn't help that the party executive has been controlled by former SSU inter-city kids since the last economic crash. The same people who nodded without question at Persson, ran Sahlin's awful 2010 campaign and that ousted Juholt are still in control.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

those dumb fucks could've actually, you know, used some common sense. But basically they knew.

Most people stay away from those situations, predatory people don't.

Harsher punishment feels better and sends a clear message. Don't gently caress a drugged up girl or you will get 1x years in prison
Thankfully, governance is not a Marvel movie.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

well you sound like an rear end in a top hat if your knee jerk reaction is to claim the rapists did not know what they were doing. :geno:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

well you sound like an rear end in a top hat if your knee jerk reaction is to claim the rapists did not know what they were doing. :geno:
My kneejerk reaction was to point out that correctional system is called such since it emphasises rehabilitation, rather than punishment. Why not just execute all criminals on spot, if you want to send a message on toughness? Or will that not feel good?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

You sound like an rear end in a top hat if your knee jerk reaction is to mindlessly dismiss informed analysis in favour of your other knee jerk reaction.

Like, the entire point is that some super lovely guys have a super lovely view of women and therefore don't see anything wrong with livestreaming rape, so you're basically raging against somebody who is basically saying that same thing as you here. The question is, how is harsher punishments reasonably going to deter someone who doesn't think what they're doing is wrong?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Beeswax posted:

Despite often being painted as some sort of omnipotent manipulative cabal which controlled Sweden for most of the 20th century, Socialdemokraterna are complete bumbling idiots in most regards when it comes to playing the media and seizing any sort of narrative initiative.
I think S are partly victims of their own success. They've been in charge for so long that they take their voter base for granted. It's only recently they've seen themselves at risk of becoming a minority party and they don't know how to handle it.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Cerebral Bore posted:

You sound like an rear end in a top hat if your knee jerk reaction is to mindlessly dismiss informed analysis in favour of your other knee jerk reaction.

Like, the entire point is that some super lovely guys have a super lovely view of women and therefore don't see anything wrong with livestreaming rape, so you're basically raging against somebody who is basically saying that same thing as you here. The question is, how is harsher punishments reasonably going to deter someone who doesn't think what they're doing is wrong?

Yeah sure, might be applicable in this specific case but if you believe that all rapists are convinced they're not doing anything wrong, you're a god drat moron.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

You stick them in a prison cell for a long rear end time, then try to rehabilitate them by teaching them to act like human beings. That sends the message that rape is unacceptable, and that we actually consider it a serious offense, while trying to make the shitstains realise why they're being shitstains and how not to be shitstains. This isn't rocket science.

But I find it fascinating that you apparently think ignorance of the law means they should get less jail time. "Oh sorry officer, I didn't know drugging someone then raping them was a crime" is, in your view, a legitimate excuse apparently. Defending rapists is now "informed analysis"! Next up on Cerebral Bore's informed analysis: Why women who dress slutty have it coming!

Seriously, gently caress off.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

Yeah sure, might be applicable in this specific case but if you believe that all rapists are convinced they're not doing anything wrong, you're a god drat moron.

Sure is a good thing he hasn't said anything of the sort, nor has anyone else ITT.

edit:

McCloud posted:

But I find it fascinating that you apparently think ignorance of the law means they should get less jail time. "Oh sorry officer, I didn't know drugging someone then raping them was a crime" is, in your view, a legitimate excuse apparently. Defending rapists is now "informed analysis"! Next up on Cerebral Bore's informed analysis: Why women who dress slutty have it coming!

How bad at reading do you have to be to reach this conclusion? What the gently caress?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

You stick them in a prison cell for a long rear end time, then try to rehabilitate them by teaching them to act like human beings. That sends the message that rape is unacceptable, and that we actually consider it a serious offense, while trying to make the shitstains realise why they're being shitstains and how not to be shitstains. This isn't rocket science.

Did you drop out of middle school, or are you having a stroke?

Retarded Goatee posted:

So you're super angry about an article written about a specific case making an argument pertaining to this specific case and your reason for this is that it's not applicable to the general case? OK then.

EDIT: Mainly I'm just baffled by ostensible adults who still haven't managed to grasp the distinction between normative and descriptive statements.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 27, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Beeswax posted:

Sure is a good thing he hasn't said anything of the sort, nor has anyone else ITT.

edit:

How bad at reading do you have to be to reach this conclusion? What the gently caress?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Like, the entire point is that some super lovely guys have a super lovely view of women and therefore don't see anything wrong with livestreaming rape...
The question is, how is harsher punishments reasonably going to deter someone who doesn't think what they're doing is wrong?

Pretty easy to reach the conclusion, actually!

I'm pretty tired of all this hand wringing and "informed analysis" in the defense of these poor poor rapists. This isn't some gordian knot of unimaginable complexity. You break the law, you suffer the consequences. That the consequences of rape in this country are laughable is the real issue here, not the ignorance of the rapist.
Ignorance of lovely behavior is no excuse to break the law and should be punished. This is to A) Deter future shitheads who want to do the thing, or claim ignorance as an excuse to get a lighter punishment, and to B) signal that we as a society view this sort of behavior as unacceptable. Yes, future shitheads might commit the exact same crime due to their ignorance, but by punishing current shitheads now we increase the odds of future potential shitheads knowing that this is a crime, we punish this sort of stuff harshly and to not loving do it by much more than just putting them in rehab and calling it a day. Doubly so in cases with lots of media attention.

Stop defending this poo poo and stop pretending that article has any form of "informed analysis". It's bullshit through and through.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You do realize that with current sentencing laws rape can land you anywhere between 2-10 years in prison depending on severity, right...?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

MiddleOne posted:

You do realize that with current sentencing laws rape can land you anywhere between 2-10 years in prison depending on severity, right...?

Current sentencing laws are based upon proving the appearance of non consent, rather then proving that there was consent. Thus a huge margin of rape trials never go to court.

Due to to the lack of proper actions taken and the dismissal of many rape trials due to technicalities, i completely understand any anger and won't hold it against anybody screaming "cut the dicks of the rapists."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You can increase punishment until we lob rapist into the sun but it won't matter a bit when the problem is difficulty of prosecution. Some of that can be resolved by untangling outdated judicial wordings (jesus what was that even last year) but there's a reason that most experts consider this to be a battle that is best fought by changing norms.

Increasing punishment makes it seem like you're doing something but in actuality you're not really doing anything, like murder statistically most rapes are not planned. For example, when three fuckers with a livestream put their hands on a girl you can bet your rear end that risk-analysis was the last thing on their mind.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 27, 2017

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Some people make it their life's work to combat sexual predatory behaviour in all kinds of different ways. I can understand that they're annoyed when suddenly one case happens to blow up in the newspapers because of some sensational detail, and now everyone is a holy warrior with a strong opinion.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Stop defending this poo poo

drat, the Rape Defenders ITT got owned

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

You can increase punishment until we lob rapist into the sun but it won't matter a bit when the problem is difficulty of prosecution. Some of that can be resolved by untangling outdated judicial wordings (jesus what was that even last year) but there's a reason that most experts consider this to be a battle that is best fought by changing norms.

This is a good point. The case with the woman in a wheelchair was horrifying, and I can't for the life of me understand why the courts are so god drat insistent on giving every single benefit of the doubt to rapists. I don't know what the issue is, if it's weird legaleese or lovely people with lovely opinions, but something has to change.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Pretty easy to reach the conclusion, actually!

I'm pretty tired of all this hand wringing and "informed analysis" in the defense of these poor poor rapists. This isn't some gordian knot of unimaginable complexity. You break the law, you suffer the consequences. That the consequences of rape in this country are laughable is the real issue here, not the ignorance of the rapist.
Ignorance of lovely behavior is no excuse to break the law and should be punished. This is to A) Deter future shitheads who want to do the thing, or claim ignorance as an excuse to get a lighter punishment, and to B) signal that we as a society view this sort of behavior as unacceptable. Yes, future shitheads might commit the exact same crime due to their ignorance, but by punishing current shitheads now we increase the odds of future potential shitheads knowing that this is a crime, we punish this sort of stuff harshly and to not loving do it by much more than just putting them in rehab and calling it a day. Doubly so in cases with lots of media attention.

Stop defending this poo poo and stop pretending that article has any form of "informed analysis". It's bullshit through and through.

Literally nobody has defended any of this, so I suppose this all is just a case of your reading comprehention being piss-poor.

EDIT: I mean, for gently caress's sake, we're talking about some shitheads who were literally livestreaming their crime It's pretty safe to say that somebody who is just feigning ignorance about what they're doing would be dumb enough to literally provide decisive video evidence of their criminal act. Your attempted counterpoints are pure nonsense and miss the point by a country mile.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 27, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aight, I clearly missunderstood and built up strawmen. Mea culpa.

So humor me and explain what you did mean then, for my own clarity and benefit if nothing else.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Aight, I clearly missunderstood and built up strawmen. Mea culpa.

So humor me and explain what you did mean then, for my own clarity and benefit if nothing else.

Tha article is addressing a specific situation of some shithead fuckers raping a girl and livestreaming it. The point it's making is that super-lovely attitudes towards women in society lead to super-lovely dudes like this raping but also not think of it as a "real" rape and hence a not crime. Here we could bring up the the standard list of excuses that rapists tell themselves, but I'll omit that for the sake of brevity.

The problem it brings up is that the reaction to poo poo like this happening is generally to demand harsher sentencing to deter more poo poo like this from happening in the future. After this the article then asks a very good question about how exactly stiffer sentences are supposed to deter people who don't see the crime they're committing as a crime. This doesn't have anything to do with letting the aforementioned shithead fuckers off the hook, but is rather a descriptive statement about criminal psychology. Simply put, while ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, it's hard to see how harsh sentences will deter somebody from committing a crime they're ignorant of. Therefore it concludes that a better solution to preventing poo poo like this particular case from happening in the future than demanding harsher sentences would be to make a real effort in educate people about what rape actually is.

This shouldn't be a hard argument to grasp, and it's not saying that raping women is A-OK as long as the rapist doesn't think what they're doing is rape. It's simply arguing for taking a more effective approach towards preventing cases like this from happening in the future.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Executing people who didn't understand what they were doing is rape is a 100% sure way to prevent them from having a similar misunderstanding in the future,

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

White Rock posted:

Don't lump the communists with the "left" the fields identity politics, they hate it as much as you:

interesting, good listen for my frustrated mind

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Cerebral Bore posted:

The correct answer is to place them in a center for behavioral correction, kind of like a mental hospital, indefinitely. They will only be released once a panel of experts agree that they have truly learned and sincerely believe rape is wrong.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Executing people who didn't understand what they were doing is rape is a 100% sure way to prevent them from having a similar misunderstanding in the future,
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

doverhog posted:

The correct answer is to place them in a center for behavioral correction, kind of like a mental hospital, indefinitely. They will only be released once a panel of experts agree that they have truly learned and sincerely believe rape is wrong.
Something something Swedish education in the 80s.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It would be only fair, their imprisonment could be very short indeed if they are willing to learn and abandon bad views. If they are not, they are a danger to the public, much like the criminally insane.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

At this point I'm actually starting to believe that our educational system doesn't really teach our children to read.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

How would you educate people convicted of rape, not believing rape is wrong, that it in fact is wrong?

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
See, there's a bit of an elephant in the room here. It has four wives, some weird notions about rape and trying to correct those would push some uncomfortable buttons among people who pretend to be concerned about the elephant.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Karpaw posted:

See, there's a bit of an elephant in the room here. It has four wives, some weird notions about rape and trying to correct those would push some uncomfortable buttons among people who pretend to be concerned about the elephant.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I think Jimmie is kinda cute and vulnerable

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well you say that but

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Karpaw posted:

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I have very similar glasses, which really bugs me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beeswax posted:

Well you say that but

"Tonight: You."

Great, now I'm imagining him colored yellow with giant flabby hands.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

evilmiera posted:

"Tonight: You."

Great, now I'm imagining him colored yellow with giant flabby hands.

Hey, what's that sound? Oh... it's just me screaming internally, because that is a terrifying mental image.

Although shouldn't he be colored vaguely orange and have tiny hands for maximum effect? :)

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Hejsan, jag kommer här att bringa kultur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdhMHRQdh0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Vilket original. Han har inte fel precis