Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

How many packs of mans did you order? There's about 50 dudes per pack, distributed across repeated strips. I'll take pictures of my leftover ones tomorrow if I get a chance and you can see what to expect.

I got my infantry from GHQ, a pack of regular and a pack of heavy weapons so I should have plenty to make what I need. I'd still be interested in seeing yours though because there were so few actual product shots on H&R that most of my stuff was bought on blind faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JcDent posted:

gently caress the Irish. The two times I faced them in the campaign, my vikings got slaughtered to a man, especially their dice manipulating bs piling on their free end move shooting and Old Ways loving over attack dice.

gently caress the Irish.

Next time, I'm taking crusader orders for some combined arms fun.

The biggest threat I faced was continual use of kids throwing rocks from a terrain feature. Admittedly he's a new player so didn't know the army very well so didn't use the stuff you mentioned.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
HnR is... not spectacular in comparison to GHQ. I have made a tiny TY army of them and the dudes are somewhat brittle and not well detailed.

Meanwhile, GHQ looks absurdly good.

In any case, I shall never be able to individually base 6mm to have a shot at single playing Ambush Alley at home: thr legs and gun barrels would probably not be able to handle the treatment.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good line to play Saga with. Looking for quality viking man's and maidens

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Phi230 posted:

What's a good line to play Saga with. Looking for quality viking man's and maidens

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/dark-ages

http://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Dark-Ages/c/20887902/offset=0&sort=normal

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Gripping beast has most of the poo poo you need. I'd wait for february when the Arthurian expansion comes out

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JcDent posted:

Gripping beast has most of the poo poo you need. I'd wait for february when the Arthurian expansion comes out

THE WHAT

edit: their website got hacked so I can't look this up

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Footsore Miniatures makes my favorite dark age models. Absolutely beautiful

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I thought I would try something new this year, and get more organized. So I made a chart for what I plan my French army to look like at the end of the year:

Each square is a SP2 unit, so 8 infantry or cavalry. Circles are NCOs and stars are higher ranked officers. There'll be musicians and standards and stuff, but those are less important in SP2. Blue stuff is already painted.

I.... kind of like it. It makes it clear for me what to buy, so that I don't weer off and buy camelry or something daft that doesn't get me towards the final goal. And I also get motivated to paint the stuff, as I have the goal in front of me.

I might do the same for my other larger projects, actually.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

I thought I would try something new this year, and get more organized. So I made a chart for what I plan my French army to look like at the end of the year:

Each square is a SP2 unit, so 8 infantry or cavalry. Circles are NCOs and stars are higher ranked officers. There'll be musicians and standards and stuff, but those are less important in SP2. Blue stuff is already painted.

I.... kind of like it. It makes it clear for me what to buy, so that I don't weer off and buy camelry or something daft that doesn't get me towards the final goal. And I also get motivated to paint the stuff, as I have the goal in front of me.

I might do the same for my other larger projects, actually.

This is a great idea. I should do this for all of my projects.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This is a great idea. I should do this for all of my projects.

Especially since I can't keep all my armies packed up for display, so they are either a) in boxes in a wardrobe or b) sitting at the club.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Cool layout; great way to track progress and stay focused

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Agreed. drat, so simple and yet so effective.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I use a spreadsheet and colour code by genre, but i haven't developed a single unified way to represent painted versus unpainted, and it's not nearly as simple or nice to look at as that chart. Combining the two ideas with a website is something I would do if I had continued to learn databases beyond 10th grade in 1998. Or had any graphics design skills at all.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 26, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
That's really cool lilljonas.

I've been marathoning the Sharpe movies again. gently caress, the later ones get really dark with Sharpe hating his wife and money problems, killing industrial protesters

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How many 28mm dudes would you guys use per base for some ACW Picketts charge goodness?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
In 28mm, I'd probably base them individually and use some kind of movement tray.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

muggins posted:

That's really cool lilljonas.

I've been marathoning the Sharpe movies again. gently caress, the later ones get really dark with Sharpe hating his wife and money problems, killing industrial protesters

Holy poo poo that looks neat and Sean Bean presumably doesn't even die! How are you watching that?

E: did it fall off the back of a truck?

DiHK fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 27, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

so that I don't weer off and buy camelry or something daft
You're gonna do that anyway.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

How many 28mm dudes would you guys use per base for some ACW Picketts charge goodness?

Honestly I'm basing individually with sabot bases so I can use them for SP and whatever big games

DiHK posted:

Holy poo poo that looks neat and Sean Bean presumably doesn't even die! How are you watching that?

E: did it fall off the back of a truck?

Blu ray =) Sharpe movies are the best thing, I could watch one every weekend like tbs movies for guys who like movies

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OK, 15mm grognards - what size washers do you use for your individual troops and how many do you mount per sabot base? I'm thinking of rebasing all my 15mm ACW stuff.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

You're gonna do that anyway.

Hell yes. I'm already breaking the plan after I realized that the Perry box doesn't come with grenadiers, so I'll get seven units of line infantry. "Hmm, so the reasonable choice is.... to paint a ton of line infantry and buy more grenadiers?"

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Honestly I'm basing individually with sabot bases so I can use them for SP and whatever big games

I'm a newly converted fan of sabot bases. So here are some pics of my voltigeurs in sabot bases.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm so happy you started 28mm Napoleonics.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

I'm so happy you started 28mm Napoleonics.

Me too man, me too. :P

Collecting French Napoleonics is like collecting Space Marines for 40K. There are just endless toys and the biggest danger is to just get lost in all the variety. And then there are tons and tons of books and other materials. Insane!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Lilj your stuff is so good. I'm almost done with my union troops, then I'm on to FIW provincials.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone have a paint recommendation for the green basecoat on a Chieftain tank?

Battlefront do a British paint set, but I'm not really interested paying for a bunch of other paints I don't need.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Lilj your stuff is so good. I'm almost done with my union troops, then I'm on to FIW provincials.

Thanks! I found that Napoleonics is a pretty thankful subject, the uniforms are flashy and it's pretty easy to get a decent speed while painting, once you've researched a specific uniform. Like my light infantry now, it's mostly dark blue and red.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Any particular brand of paint you recommend for napoleonics?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No, I'm an avid mixer of brands: vallejo, army painter, p3, lifecolor, gw, and probably some more. I paint mine a tad brighter than what might be realistic after a few months in the field, but that is largely to contrast with all the drab browns and greys of our WW2 armies.

The hardest part was finding a good blue for the coats. After some experiments I went with army painter's Deep Blue. It takes a good shake before and two layers over a grey primer to get coverage, but after that I get a solid blue that is not too cartoonish. For everything else, blues, tans, greys, I just take whatever is close at hand or mix something. Especially pants and coats would be far from uniform colours on campaign.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 27, 2017

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Makes sense, I got some landsknect in the sprue sale so was going to do the same brighter scheme to contrast the drab veteran Romans legionnaires that I also got

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I like a lot of Vallejo colors, but for red and some of the other more saturated colors I prefer citadel base

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I myself use mostly Vallejo, but I actually went full-on hipster mode and purchased a huge set of coat D arms paints. Lots of horse colors and uniform colors

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Went to Great Escape Games's homepage.

Ordered enough to break their postage calculator.

After checking with them on Facebook I'm going to order directly by e-mail and Make Wargaming Great Again (lots of Napoleonics and WW2).

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

lilljonas posted:

Went to Great Escape Games's homepage.

Ordered enough to break their postage calculator.

After checking with them on Facebook I'm going to order directly by e-mail and Make Wargaming Great Again (lots of Napoleonics and WW2).

After ordering that much postage should be free! :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

working mom posted:

After ordering that much postage should be free! :v:

Actually, that's what broke (the weight calculation added S&H despite it being far above the threshold for free worldwide shipping).

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Maybe they had a system that was supposed to flag over a certain weight/country combo to have some manual input and it died :shrug:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I'm planning on getting into FoW because it seems to be the most popular historical game around me. I want to field a French national army though. How boned am I? Also, what rulebooks are good to start with aside from the core one?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

So I'm planning on getting into FoW because it seems to be the most popular historical game around me. I want to field a French national army though. How boned am I? Also, what rulebooks are good to start with aside from the core one?

Well, the game is divided into three periods - Early, Mid, and Late War (with point costs for assorted units varying by era - ie a T-34/76 is far more expensive in Early War than it is in late) French are primarily in Early War (in Blitzkrieg and Burning Empires). You can also get rules for the Free French in Late War here and in Road to Rome.

Keep in mind that the new edition is coming down the pipe, so they may be coming out with updates for these sorts of thing. Blitzkrieg and Burning Empires are both I believe some of the oldest books going, at present, so they most likely will be updated first.

It may be a good idea to check with your group what era they favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, coming march, apparently.