Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Genocyber posted:

Honestly I think the latter portion of the DS1 base game gets unfairly shat on by a lot of people. Like, aside from the Crystal Caves and the lava part of Lost Izalith which are just gimmick areas, the level design tends to be pretty strong. Dukes Archives in particular is a lot of fun messing around with the staircases to get to different areas. I wonder if people criticize them more strongly because they're no longer part of that cohesive world; they technically fit in but in terms of progression they're all linear forks off of previously discovered paths, and don't interconnect with one another.

I think a big part of it is Bed of Chaos being the worst boss fight they've ever made, and the other bosses being pretty forgettable fights, so they feel anti-climactic at best, especially after beating O&S. Duke's Archives, New Londo Ruins, and Catacombs/Tomb of the Giant are all good zones though, and the Crystal Cave has a decent gimmick, it just needed another bonfire because the run to Seathe is tedious as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Genocyber posted:

but the chaos eaters are rad

100%. I wish there was more of that kind of monster in the games.

Maybe we'll get to see some really weird stuff in the final DS3 DLC.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, this Mr. Shifty is a Cool Guy.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Tae posted:

"pajamas aren't for sleeping" Pat, the gently caress

if you sleep in pajamas it's because your blankets suck

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna echo, Mr. Shifty is not a Mr. lovely

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

With all four games (5 if you count bloodborne) side to side I honestly think Dark Souls 1 is the worst and is only fondly thought of compared to the others because it was a lot of peoples entry into the series.

Some really awful/bad bosses, the second half being complete garbage and the questionable design choices really really weigh it down to me these days. I think it's Okay at best.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, this Mr. Shifty is a Cool Guy.

I guess I need to watch this video now.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

there's like one bad boss in dark souls and it's in the one bad zone

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

With all four games (5 if you count bloodborne) side to side I honestly think Dark Souls 1 is the worst and is only fondly thought of compared to the others because it was a lot of peoples entry into the series.

At risk of being crucified, yeah pretty much. I dunno, DS1 for whatever reason doesn't ultimately rank as high for me as it seems to for most people with the series. I obviously still like it a lot, liked it a whole lot when I first played it, but if I had to stack the series up it'd probably be kind of on the lower/middle floor of the tower. For me Bloodborne is definitely up there just because the weapons were all fun, they all felt robust and had their own "Woah" moment to them, the bosses got really cool and the world was easily the most interesting one to me. DS2 is probably the other one in the upper half, again, builds could get so different in 2 and they could almost all work really well, it probably made the most weapons viable of any of the Souls games, the DLCs were pretty cool and added neat new stuff to play with, the PvP was probably at the most fun I've had in 2. Then it gets more fuzzy for me when it comes to picking the center entry and then the two at the bottom, I enjoyed Demon's, DS1 and DS3 plenty, but unless this last DLC throws a big wrench into the game, DS3 is pretty likely the very bottom for me, then it's probably Demon's above that because while it was cool and the real start of the series, it had a lot of jank and features they were right to strip going forward, then DS1 at the middle.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 27, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Berserk Season 2 from THE WORST STUDIO EVER has been confirmed for April. Matt help us all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Berserk Season 2 from THE WORST STUDIO EVER has been confirmed for April. Matt help us all.

This isn't as bad as it seems.

That means the manga should restart in April as well.

I'll take lovely Berserk anime if it means the hiatus ends. I will sacrifice all you fuckers and your quality anime for the manga.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

This isn't as bad as it seems.

That means the manga should restart in April as well.

I'll take lovely Berserk anime if it means the hiatus ends. I will sacrifice all you fuckers and your quality anime for the manga.

We'll get like three chapters and then it's going to hiatus again.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's 1>3>Sotfs>2>BB>DES I started with DES hth

3 finally managed to knock Artorias off the best boss pedastal with THE CHAMP

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ruggington posted:

there's like one bad boss in dark souls and it's in the one bad zone

Capra, Centipede Demon, Gaping Dragon, Bed of Chaos, Moonlight etcetc

All of them are just kind of boring to bad. Only bosses I fondly recall is the meme team O+S, Artorias and uh... Final boss is cool if you don't just parry spam him. This isn't to say the bosses in DaS1 aren't cool looking- just that the fights themselves are eh when I can load up bloodborne or DaS3 where a good chunk of the bosses are at Artorias's level of insane anime bullshit.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

all of those are cool except for chaos bed

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DS1 complete; I guess I'll see how I feel about the game in hindsight once I've tried DS2, but it was still cool into the endgame; the whole of Duke's Archives was great, and I actually really liked Lost Izalith. Flooding the area with enemies was clearly cheap, but it had a kind of terrifying calm that could be broken with one misstep. gently caress Tomb of the Giants though. I hate, hate hate hate with a burning passion games that do areas of total darkness like that. It was done well, but I still loving hate it. Final boss wasn't too hard, but was a nice battle to end the game on.

Anyway, onto Dark Souls 2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

all of those are cool except for chaos bed

None of them are anything to write home about gameplay-wise (and bed is horrid).

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Andrast posted:

We'll get like three chapters and then it's going to hiatus again.

Maybe the three chapters will end with them getting back on the boat.

also never forget

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Maybe this is just me being a filthy casual, but I care a lot more about DS1's cohesive interconnected game world, its variety of non-standard fantasy weapons, the eerie dreamlike atmosphere, the feeling of personal exploration and discovery, and the voice-acting than I do about a handful of lacklustre bosses. Gameplay is more important for sure, but the core gameplay has always remained solid throughout, while the former elements have varied wildly from game to game. My enjoyment is affected way less by a few bad-apple bosses or environments than it is by the loss of any of the former elements.

In that regard, DS1 struck the best balance out of any game in the series, while its successors overtook it in key areas (such as better weapon variety in DS2 and better voice acting in bloodborne) but at the cost of others.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

even if you dont think the ds1 bosses are cool mechanically (they are!!) they are still cool in terms of concept/scenario.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Knocked out 4 Kings and Nito last night, working on painted world right now. From what everyone is saying and what I've heard of Bed of Chaos, it seems I've left the worst for last.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

gently caress Tomb of the Giants though. I hate, hate hate hate with a burning passion games that do areas of total darkness like that. It was done well, but I still loving hate it.

Agreed.

The darkness is effective for making the area hard to navigate and enemies even more dangerous, but it sort of ends up feeling a bit unfair? Like heres a whole bunch of enemies that are hard to block, but you also have little room to roll and maneuver safely. I also had a lot of issues with the skeledog things breaking my lock-on. After finding where Nito was, I jacked my bonfire up to 20, thinking I was going to have a long tough fight against all the poo poo between the bonfire and him, and then I just said gently caress it and ran past everything :v:

I'm really glad I got the heads up to use a divine weapon though. I feel a bit bad I had that crutch, but on the other hand, gently caress that place otherwise.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/824875651920384000

Congratulations on finally having an excuse to poo poo your pants, Pat!!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Knocked out 4 Kings and Nito last night, working on painted world right now. From what everyone is saying and what I've heard of Bed of Chaos, it seems I've left the worst for last.

YMMV. My friend had already finished the game when we co-oped it and I got to Bed of Chaos for the first time. He basically moaned about it from the entrance of Lost Izalith until we were done but I had no issues whatsoever and have only died to janky unavoidable bullshit once or twice in that fight. It's not a great encounter or anything but I think it's been overblown how terrible and game-ruining it is. I think Centipede is a lot more dull to deal with.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

The Bed of Chaos is so bad that From actually issued an apology about it. I mean you can kind of see where they were going with it, but man did they ever not have the time/money to make it work right.

Justice Sloth posted:

Maybe this is just me being a filthy casual, but I care a lot more about DS1's cohesive interconnected game world, its variety of non-standard fantasy weapons, the eerie dreamlike atmosphere, the feeling of personal exploration and discovery, and the voice-acting than I do about a handful of lacklustre bosses. Gameplay is more important for sure, but the core gameplay has always remained solid throughout, while the former elements have varied wildly from game to game. My enjoyment is affected way less by a few bad-apple bosses or environments than it is by the loss of any of the former elements.

In that regard, DS1 struck the best balance out of any game in the series, while its successors overtook it in key areas (such as better weapon variety in DS2 and better voice acting in bloodborne) but at the cost of others.

Yeah, I like this post.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

For me, DS1 solidly in the middle tier of souls games. Bloodborne is by far my favorite since it focused n on all of my favorite parts of souls games. In DS2 I really liked the pvp.

I was really disappointed in DS3 for reasons I can't quite pin down. I guess It just felt like retreading old ground, unlike all other souls games that at least tried something new. It's the one souls game I haven't had any desire to replay.

So for me it's basically
Bloodborne > DS2 > DS1 > DS3 > Demon's

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 27, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Justice Sloth posted:

Those qualities are all good, but I'd say that, aside from the interconnected world, they're all present just as strongly, if not more strongly, in the other games. As far as weapon selection goes, I'd actually say DS1 is probably the most boring, both in terms of what's there (it's mostly pretty standard actual weapons with a few crazy one-offs, as opposed to the crazy poo poo we started getting with DS2) and the fact that the movesets of weapons are probably some of the worst in the series due to how glacially slow they are. I'd never call the atmosphere of DS1 as particularly dreamlike; oppressive and lonely, sure, but not really dreamlike. Voice acting quality is about the same throughout the games, probably cause they have a pretty stable cast of voice actors that they use, for the most part. Which one you're going to prefer in that regard is then likely to depend on whatever roles stand out to you most (for me it'd be either Evetta Muradasilova's Maiden in Black in Demon's Souls or William Houston's Vendrick; actually it would be Aldia but that character has multiple overlayed voices so that's cheating a little).

Which is why, to me, DS1 remains probably my least favorite, because it doesn't really excel in anything compared to the other games. To me, the only thing it really has over the others is a very well-structured experience that the others lack, but that's at the cost of that experience being quite linearly structured (yeah, you can do some sequence breaking stuff, but there is a very clearly defined and linear critical path for most players thanks to how weapon upgrades are meted out). And even then it's only the early game where that's the case, everything post-AL just being spewed out in different previous locations you've visited.

Oh, DS2>BB>DeS>DS3>DS1, for me.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Jealous of all of you that got to play Bloodborne. I can't justify the purchase of a PS4 just for a single game (because that's what it would be).

At least the LP of it was good.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I have a favourite Souls game for sure, but not by a wide margin, it's a dead heat between all of them with one game edging it out. I think they're all solid games that stand well on their own and a strong argument can be made for liking any one of them the most, based on preference. It's pretty refreshing that an ongoing game franchise has so many strong remixes on their own formula, with no one drastically worse than any other.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Souls is dead, all hail Nioh.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, probably. Bloodborne's great though.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Justice Sloth posted:

I have a favourite Souls game for sure, but not by a wide margin, it's a dead heat between all of them with one game edging it out. I think they're all solid games that stand well on their own and a strong argument can be made for liking any one of them the most, based on preference. It's pretty refreshing that an ongoing game franchise has so many strong remixes on their own formula, with no one drastically worse than any other.

Yeah I think that even if you pick them apart in tiny detail and agonize over the flaws, in the end they're all still really good games (you know, if you like that sort of thing).

Kind of curious about what their next project wiBRING BACK ARMORED CORE YOU JERKS.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Evergrace HD

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

King's Field reboot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

The beta last weekend was the first time I got to play it and my interest went from 0 to maximum hype. It seemed really loving good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People who play Ni Oh like a souls game are going to get destroyed, it's gonna be great

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Lost Kingdoms 3: Third Strike

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tae posted:

People who play Ni Oh like a souls game are going to get destroyed, it's gonna be great

That was my experience. Play it more like Bloodborne, learn your stagger and parry timing and just. Keep. Rhythm. Once you learn ki pulse you become a whirlwind of death.

I missed the last demo, but Slowbeef freaking out over the Kusarigama was gold. That weapon looks so fun.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

HoboTech posted:

Yeah I think that even if you pick them apart in tiny detail and agonize over the flaws, in the end they're all still really good games (you know, if you like that sort of thing).

Kind of curious about what their next project wiBRING BACK ARMORED CORE YOU JERKS.

They are working on an armored core. And an unnamed project that's Almost assuredly Souls X Cookies and Cream

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Maybe the Blu-Rays will make it better again?

I dunno how the action scenes ended up though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HGH posted:

Maybe the Blu-Rays will make it better again?

I dunno how the action scenes ended up though.

The animation is not what is wrong with the Berserk anime.

Even if every frame was beautiful and perfect and without flaw, it is still a lovely anime. Even if you did not compare it to the manga, it's still not great just because of the severe pacing issues and compression of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Burkion posted:

The animation is not what is wrong with the Berserk anime.

Even if every frame was beautiful and perfect and without flaw, it is still a lovely anime. Even if you did not compare it to the manga, it's still not great just because of the severe pacing issues and compression of the story.

The direction is also god-awful. Which means the new season could actually be potentially okay even with the TV airing, if they jettisoned the first director and actually got someone who's experience with CG anime.