Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LastInLine posted:

I just realized that if you're holding the phone in your right hand the fingerprint sensor is on the far side of the camera instead of the near side where you'd want it. The more I look at it the less sense it makes.
It looks like they put it in the same spot as the heart rate monitor from the S6/S7, so maybe they're thinking people might be used to the location because of that? I don't know, it seems like a bad spot, although after playing with my S7 Edge a bit, it might not be as uncomfortable as it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

datajosh posted:

It looks like they put it in the same spot as the heart rate monitor from the S6/S7, so maybe they're thinking people might be used to the location because of that? I don't know, it seems like a bad spot, although after playing with my S7 Edge a bit, it might not be as uncomfortable as it looks.

You're going to be putting your finger there every time you unlock your phone. Even if you hit the right target like 95% of the time, you'll be smudging up your camera multiple times a day.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Rumors/leaks starting to pop up about the Pixel 2s the main thing is they they claim there will be a "budget model" but no real specifics.

Here's hoping it's "budget" as in the Moto G4 range and not something stupid like the $400-$500 range. I really don't see a point in the midrange anymore, it's either you want a phone to handle the basics or you want top end to do VR or gaming (or from what I've seen nothing at all that actually needs the power you're paying for).

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My Nexus 6P has begun shutting down at 20% battery. Cool cool cool.

I wish the Pixel wasn't so damned expensive :(

Google will send a refurb if you bought from the play store. Mine was 2 months out of warranty and I got a replacement.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Smeed posted:

Google will send a refurb if you bought from the play store. Mine was 2 months out of warranty and I got a replacement.

Bought it off Swappa and I'm pretty sure that guy got it through Project Fi :smithicide:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CFox posted:

Here's hoping it's "budget" as in the Moto G4 range and not something stupid like the $400-$500 range. I really don't see a point in the midrange anymore, it's either you want a phone to handle the basics or you want top end to do VR or gaming (or from what I've seen nothing at all that actually needs the power you're paying for).

It'll probably be $200-ish to replace the 5X as the entry level Fi device

Because otherwise lol at new Fi customers having to buy a Pixel at full price to try the service

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

More like lol if you think Google's hardware division strategizes with Fi at all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Rumors/leaks starting to pop up about the Pixel 2s the main thing is they they claim there will be a "budget model" but no real specifics.

Also rumored - a $50 price hike to the top end model. Yikes. I would really appreciate some extra features to go along with that premium tag. Hell throw me an SD slot or wireless charging.

I passed on the Pixel after playing around with one and not seeing a big difference in usage compared to my current phone but will consider the Pixel 2 if the features/value is there. I guess a lot of it also depends on how just lovely my battery is when the Pixel 2 comes out.

edit: with link

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 27, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I think they're confusing it with the Android P (which actually is Google's budget phone project) coming to America rumor.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

EugeneJ posted:

Because otherwise lol at new Fi customers having to buy a Pixel at full price to try the service

This isn't the worst thing, when I tried Fi I was OK buying the phone (6P though, which was a little cheaper) because I knew I could take it to any other carrier if Fi itself didn't work out.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They are seeing the sales numbers from Verizon and everyone buying Pixels on payment plans and not noticing the total price. It's only us pesky goons that like paying up front for an unlocked freedom phone right from the Google.

I'm probably out - unless the 5" pixel2 is $399 for 32 gig. I'm not paying $800 for one especially when they drop in Swappa value so fast compared to iPhones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's January people. A new Pixel is at least 9 months or more away. You're going to poison yourself with all the salt you have to take with current rumors.

My speculation is that Google with releases a waterproof flexible smartphone with dual SD835. Your can cut it in half if you want and share it with another person to split cost.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My One Plus 3t can't connect to my electronic locks via bluetooth, but my Nexus 6, which I still haven't sold, can. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before?

It's weird because my 3t is conntected to my Google Wear watch at this very moment via bluetooth with no problems, so it can't be the radio.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PixelXL arrived last night (only 7 weeks) and holy poo poo I'm in love. It's so smooth and fast and pretty and nice and fast and holy poo poo it's fast.

I also love finally having multiple user profiles so I can keep my work poo poo secure and still allow my kids to use my phone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

My One Plus 3t can't connect to my electronic locks via bluetooth, but my Nexus 6, which I still haven't sold, can. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before?

It's weird because my 3t is conntected to my Google Wear watch at this very moment via bluetooth with no problems, so it can't be the radio.

FAUXTON posted:

You loving idiot

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlexDeGruven posted:

PixelXL arrived last night (only 7 weeks) and holy poo poo I'm in love. It's so smooth and fast and pretty and nice and fast and holy poo poo it's fast.

I also love finally having multiple user profiles so I can keep my work poo poo secure and still allow my kids to use my phone.

Welcome to good Android. Enjoy your time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Reflash your phone with the latest nightly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Spend $30 to self-test your USB-C cables and chargers! http://www.satechi.net/index.php/satechi-type-c-power-meter

What a clusterfuck. :cripes:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That just seems like a power meter, not a tester to see if a cable or powers source is good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

one plus one equals don't buy one

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Does a phone currently exist with these features?

- Waterproof
- Physical buttons
- Can be rooted

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I called the support line for the locks and they said I should get a Samsung, a Nexus, or an iPhone.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My Nexus 6P has begun shutting down at 20% battery. Cool cool cool.

I wish the Pixel wasn't so damned expensive :(

When my old one was doing this (before I RMA'ed it to Google for a Refurb) I was able to sort of fix this through Flashing the Original first Image for the 6P, then flashing the latest full image (latest 7.1.1) from their Nexus Factory Image site.

Just running the FlashAll script (usually using Minimal ADB Portable) and letting it do it's thing. (You will want to back up everything in this case beforehand).

After doing that, I was able to get it to only shut down around the 1% mark after stress testing the hell out of it. Usually running a 3D app so there was load on it to make sure it wouldn't just shutdown from a load spike around 5-15% like it was before.

Worth a shot if your 6P is outside of warranty, also you may want to ask Google to see what they might do about it since it is a known issue even if you are out of warranty by a bit and the above doesn't fix it.

I kept the Refurb because the power button was a hell of a lot better (actually had a click and some resistance vs my OG one being soft enough to breath on it to hit it, practically) also a fresh battery, and the speakerphone worked. I am bummed however that the build quality from whatever tear down they did on this left a bit of a gap between the screen and the metal between it and the outer casing. its not huge, but its quite there and I hope it doesn't cause issues in the long run. :(

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 27, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

one plus one equals don't buy one

One plus one equals deuce

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I called the support line for the locks and they said I should get a Samsung, a Nexus, or an iPhone.

Smart support, imo

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did you mention that you had a Nexus that worked before they said that? I'd bet anything that they usually just say only Samsung and iPhone.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CFox posted:

Did you mention that you had a Nexus that worked before they said that? I'd bet anything that they usually just say only Samsung and iPhone.

Yeah i did.

It's also possible that their engineers only had Samsung, Nexus, or iPhones, so that's all they tested it on.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Reflash your phone with the latest nightly.

Never Settle™

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nitrousoxide posted:

A lot of Bluetooth devices have a limit on how many other devices they can pair to. Have you tried unpairing it with everything else and trying again?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It was only connected to one Bluetooth device at the time, my watch.

I just put the watch in airplane mode and tried again and still no luck.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

FAUXTON posted:

One plus one equals deuce

PROCEED TO BREAK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ailhu-fy_MU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It was only connected to one Bluetooth device at the time, my watch.

I just put the watch in airplane mode and tried again and still no luck.

He's talking about how many devices do you have saved in the lock. If you have 12 devices between phones, watches, keyfobs etc, you might have used up all the avail memory in the lock.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Weird issue somebody here might know the answer to:

My 5x on 7.1.1 has a really awesome feature where, if connected to a wifi network it detects doesn't have internet access, it routes all traffic through the cellular connection instead. 99% of the time this is extremely helpful.

BUT

I have one app that this fucks up; it's to control the camera on a drone by connecting to its wireless AP. This AP obviously has no internet, so when I connect to it the phone goes *frrt* and ignores it, so the app can't connect to the device. I have to go into airplane mode to get it to work at all, and then I have no internet for anything else.

Is it possible to force this one app to always use wifi regardless of internet connectivity?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PerrineClostermann posted:

Welcome to good Android. Enjoy your time.

It's really amazing and shows just how shitted up TouchWiz is. And no effort spent trying to get rid of all the TouchWiz poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's really amazing and shows just how shitted up TouchWiz is. And no effort spent trying to get rid of all the TouchWiz poo poo.

Yep, people keep trying to claim Touchwhiz isn't still poo poo because they allegedly toned it down but the truth is that it's still poo poo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah i did.

It's also possible that their engineers only had Samsung, Nexus, or iPhones, so that's all they tested it on.

Another reason to not bother with lovely brands, imo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

deong posted:

He's talking about how many devices do you have saved in the lock. If you have 12 devices between phones, watches, keyfobs etc, you might have used up all the avail memory in the lock.

You don't really permanently pair it with the device. It just uses the low energy BT standard to do an ad-hoc connection, initiated entirely from within the phone's app and forgets it afterward.

This is the lock:
http://us.allegion.com/IRSTDocs/DataSheet/110409.pdf

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlexDeGruven posted:

I got the folks set up with the Pixel after the Black Friday deal, their reactions going from old S4s were rather amusing. It seems that everyone agrees on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Javid posted:

Weird issue somebody here might know the answer to:

My 5x on 7.1.1 has a really awesome feature where, if connected to a wifi network it detects doesn't have internet access, it routes all traffic through the cellular connection instead. 99% of the time this is extremely helpful.

BUT

I have one app that this fucks up; it's to control the camera on a drone by connecting to its wireless AP. This AP obviously has no internet, so when I connect to it the phone goes *frrt* and ignores it, so the app can't connect to the device. I have to go into airplane mode to get it to work at all, and then I have no internet for anything else.

Is it possible to force this one app to always use wifi regardless of internet connectivity?

Yea those apps all seem to be crap for all sorts of WiFi AP controlled things. Have you tried connecting in Airplane mode, then enabling normal mode after you're already in the app and connected?