Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Will habitats generate border pressure? If you can make an outpost, build a habitat and then delete the outpost that will really shake up the lategame in low planet% games.

E: Thanks phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Staltran posted:

Will habitats generate border pressure? If you can make an outpost, build a habitat and then delete the outpost that will really shake up the lategame in low planet% games.

E: Thanks phone

According to Wiz they also cost influence so that may not be a solution.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Zore posted:

According to Wiz they also cost influence so that may not be a solution.

Well, colonies cost influence right now, just as a lump sum, not maintenance. Do we know habitats would have influence maintenance?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GlyphGryph posted:

Is this... bad?

I have found a bit of neutral unclaimed territory can often be a good thing.
Well, yeah if it leaves a massive patch of empty space that no one is able to exploit. The unever distribution of planets can also really screw over an empire if one of their neighbours is able to spread oit a bit more and cast their borders over more energy, minerals or strategic resources. It's not like empty space really does anything, either. It's just wasted.

Staltran posted:

Pops will expand your borders from inhabited systems, so probably?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Wiz posted:

I've basically completely recoded the sector AI in 1.5 to prevent unnecessary resource accumulation, and the new tooltip I added shows you exactly what they are planning to do with the resources they have.

I want to add a 'prioritize happiness' setting if there's time, too.

Did you find the AI Empires performing better too after the sector recode or do they use different planet management logic?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GlyphGryph posted:

It doesn't seem fair that they can declare war on another guy to seize MY planets and thus get around my defensive pacts.

That's perfectly fair. Do you not do it to the AI? Alliances, defensive or otherwise should be a liability as well as a source of strength.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

Is this... bad?

I have found a bit of neutral unclaimed territory can often be a good thing.
I had a game where there was a chasm of worthless systems between myself and another somewhat unfriendly empire for ages. After a while of us basically ignoring each other they apparently warmed up to me and we federationed up. It was a neat change to the usual.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

That's perfectly fair. Do you not do it to the AI? Alliances, defensive or otherwise should be a liability as well as a source of strength.

Seems kinda weird that this situation doesn't result in a Space WWI chain reaction, where by declaring on your smaller friend draws you in which in turn forces you into a defensive war and pulls in all your allies as well.

If you run around making defensive pacts with anyone and everyone you would still have the benefit of plenty of friends in a fight, but it would also leave you with the liability that if you start including weak and vulnerable members you could be pulled into neadless wars. So choose your friends carefully.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LogisticEarth posted:

Well, colonies cost influence right now, just as a lump sum, not maintenance. Do we know habitats would have influence maintenance?

He said yeah as a cap so you can't just literally spam them everywhere.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
I would think that defensive pacts should be based partially on the stated war goals. Take the example of the player defensive allied with 3 other civs who are not allied with one another.

If an AI attacks the player, obviously all 3 civs join the war. But if an AI attacks one of the other civs currently only the player would be drawn in, even if as part of the war goals is all of the player's planets and none of the targets planets.

I would think that defense pacts would need to change so that in the above situation the other two civs the player is allied to would be drawn in to the war depending on the war goals targeting the player. No war goals targetting the player = no defensive pact trigger. War goals targetting the player = defensive pact trigger.

Because yeah, the civs your allied with aren't going to give a poo poo if you are defending someone else because they didn't sign up to protect that other civ.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I'm leading the Non-Aligned Movement but the fallen empires are each at least three times as powerful as my whole fleet put together! poo poo! Is there a way I can lure them to fight each other? They're on opposite sides of the map (but at least I'm not in the middle).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I'm leading the Non-Aligned Movement but the fallen empires are each at least three times as powerful as my whole fleet put together! poo poo! Is there a way I can lure them to fight each other? They're on opposite sides of the map (but at least I'm not in the middle).

Ignore the Fallen Empires other than to pay attention to where their death fleet is (and stay the hell away from there).

Then just occupy all of their little vassal races' planets. Each occupation is worth 5 WS or so, so there's a maximum of 20 you need before you can force victory. It's more of a slog than anything.

This is because the FEs are willing to generally mess around, thank god, rather than hunting down and murdering any fleets on the other side.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Wiz posted:

Fun fact: The EU4 army AI essentially consists of one gigantic evaluation where each AI army asks itself 'which province do I want to be standing in' every single in-game day. It has no concept of strategy, no long-term plan, just a list of provinces ordered from 'most want to stand in' to 'least want to stand in' with dozens upon dozens of weights and special cases that have grown out of endless iterations.

This has some drawbacks, but it also makes it incredibly robust, because it's not trying to follow some long-term strategy that might have ceased to be valid weeks ago. When the EU4 military AI breaks, it usually just does something like pick a poor fight or walk back and forth between provinces for a few days. Conversely, when the Stellaris military AI (which does have a layer of strategic thinking) breaks, it tends to freeze up completely.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the one exception in the EU4 military AI is the naval invasion AI, which does try to follow a rigid plan, and is also the part of the AI most prone to catastrophic breakdowns.

To add personality to AI you just can just add a strategy layer on top right, so you can have AI sort any planets by how easy it is to invade them, drug the pops and turn them into livestock, and all of a sudden you have a race with a lot of personality that's really good at eating the plant people.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Zore posted:

He said yeah as a cap so you can't just literally spam them everywhere.
Not quite- he was responding to the snowball problem, where more orbitals = more resources = you can build orbitals faster, and it becomes a runaway thing that no-one else can catch up with. As influence gain doesn't scale with pops, you can't get this runaway effect- an empire with no orbitals can build more at the same rate as one with 20.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824651685679300608

gently caress habitats, this is the main feature of 1.5.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Aethernet posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824651685679300608

gently caress habitats, this is the main feature of 1.5.

I wonder how this will work. Like if my science ship can't survey a queued system with enemies in it, will it then move on to the next system? What if there's no valid paths to the next system? Great feature, just curious as to how it will be implemented.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd like a resettlement option that moves a pop but costs a lot of energy as well as the influence to represent that you're compensating the affect people, with a lower happiness penalty than straight up deportation or whatever it normally is.

Also I got a bit bored of my current game and opened the console and typed in event crisis.1000 and event crisis.10. Hopefully things will get more interesting now. :v:

edit
Well the breaching point is on the other side of the galaxy but the portal is right next door.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 27, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Serf posted:

I wonder how this will work. Like if my science ship can't survey a queued system with enemies in it, will it then move on to the next system? What if there's no valid paths to the next system? Great feature, just curious as to how it will be implemented.

If it can't do the next queued order and gives up (like it does when it's on auto-explore and can't find a new system), that would be fine. We'd be no worse off in that case, and better off when it can find a way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Serf posted:

Presumably it would repath or abort if no safe path exists, which is the same behavior they show with auto-explore now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ugh, Signal Horizon gripe: an event in the chain made it so my homeworld pops changed to some new portrait type, now that shows up as the regular portrait type for the save even though I moved my capital. Kinda worried now that moving my capital will cause trouble down the line. Also that for the event that was supposed to give a leader a "Doomed" trait did not, and didn't even show the leader's name in the button tooltip...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/825031483874168833

This is neat. I wonder how much you can affect things through this; are you still limited to three "points" of ethics, or can you now slide along every axis? If the former, how does it decide what ethics are lost?

Unfortunate that embracing one faction apparently displeases all others, even if they aren't personally at odds, though. Hopefully it's not too bad for factions that aren't opposed to what you embrace, at least.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, I have no idea who selected the stellaris wiki favicon, but good job. I keep seeing internet explorer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz you gotta stop it with all these 1.5 tweets, my hype is already too real.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

Wiz you gotta stop it with all these 1.5 tweets, my hype is already too real.

Pfft. We haven't even gotten to the *really* cool poo poo yet.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Wiz posted:

:love: 1.5 when?!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Wiz posted:

Interspecies diplomatic marriages?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Personally I hope for command ships, titans that can be build by players. :pray:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

+ Added Sweden as playable nation

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/825031483874168833

This is neat. I wonder how much you can affect things through this; are you still limited to three "points" of ethics, or can you now slide along every axis? If the former, how does it decide what ethics are lost?

Unfortunate that embracing one faction apparently displeases all others, even if they aren't personally at odds, though. Hopefully it's not too bad for factions that aren't opposed to what you embrace, at least.
The way it reads is that you move one stage more xenophobe. So I guess if you were xenophile you'd go neutral. But if you were neutral, the way this reads, you'd just gain an ethic.

So yeah, at the cost of pissing off other factions, looks like you can have more than three ethics points.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Interspecies diplomatic marriages?

That was one of the few cool features in the original Elemental. Crossing the leader of your generic noble forest-loving bowmen or the designated research nation with the child of the hosed-up lizard mutants was one of the few ways to bridge the gap between the 'good' and 'evil' branches of humanity.

It was also one of the few ways to get more mages. And species traits blended, so the heir to your ~good guys~ kingdom would have plate-scales or Jem'Hadar horns. :unsmigghh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cannibalistic trait, lose growth speed if not consuming sentient beings?
Delicious trait, provides extra happiness when eaten?

Eiba posted:

The way it reads is that you move one stage more xenophobe. So I guess if you were xenophile you'd go neutral. But if you were neutral, the way this reads, you'd just gain an ethic.

So yeah, at the cost of pissing off other factions, looks like you can have more than three ethics points.
No fanatic neutral? :(

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm a horrible person for this, but I would love to be able to engineer a 'delicious' trait into captured pops. Also, to be able to add negative traits, even if I don't get gene points back for them.

:unsmigghh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Poil posted:

Our science has proved that Truth is in the middle. We regard with patience the childlike efforts of those who delude themselves as they play with their concept of "objective facts."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I like that bit about egalitarians and spiritualists spreading ethics attraction. My religious space birds will convert all these filthy machine lovers! (Or kill them)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if Solitary and Communal wouldn't be better if they worked like Charismatic and Repugnant. But Communal would probably need to be at +0.5%. Or maybe they were given flat 5% because it's simpler and redundant to go further with it. :v:

Anticheese posted:

I'm a horrible person for this, but I would love to be able to engineer a 'delicious' trait into captured pops. Also, to be able to add negative traits, even if I don't get gene points back for them.

:unsmigghh:
Yeah, it would be fun to alter a race into being shortlived or something just to hurt them some more. Or remove their fast breeder trait at least. drat repugnant pests!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How do you define delicious though? Even some humans are weird and like poo poo that's way too sour or salty for me to even go near. There better be traits for what tastes aliens like and what aliens taste like. :v:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Arglebargle III posted:

Our science has proved that Truth is in the middle. We regard with patience the childlike efforts of those who delude themselves as they play with their concept of "objective facts."

sneak preview of the fanatic neutral diplomacy screen

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

How do you define delicious though? Even some humans are weird and like poo poo that's way too sour or salty for me to even go near. There better be traits for what tastes aliens like and what aliens taste like. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

Cannibalistic trait, lose growth speed if not consuming sentient beings?
Delicious trait, provides extra happiness when eaten?

Aren't the nomads labelled 'Despicable Neutrals' for not having ethics?

• Locked thread