Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Why not-

Nike Vapor Fly Pro
Cally XR 4W
Taylormade UDI 3i
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50/54/58
Odyssey Sabretooth White Ice putter

Still not sure if the 3i has a permanent home in the bag or not, I'm accurate with it but still not too confident when I need to carry it over water since I thin it occasionally. Still haven't gotten around to trying a 7W and haven't had good luck with hybrids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I don't know about you but hooooly poo poo do I love that fairway wood.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

As long as I don't swing too hard it is amazing. I've tried 4 or 5 fairway woods in the last couple years and this is definitely my favorite.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Farking Bastage posted:

I had a PING fitting recently....

How is that? It is something I am thinking of doing down the line. This upcoming season, my goal is to just take lessons and learn to fully rotate on my golf swing and just generate some club speed.

I'm just getting back into shape doing yoga, because a friend convinced me to go with her and I realized after one session that 6 months of it would do wonders for my core strength and flexibility.

Is a PING fitting worthwhile once I get my swing down?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Sataere posted:

How is that? It is something I am thinking of doing down the line. This upcoming season, my goal is to just take lessons and learn to fully rotate on my golf swing and just generate some club speed.

I'm just getting back into shape doing yoga, because a friend convinced me to go with her and I realized after one session that 6 months of it would do wonders for my core strength and flexibility.

I'll let you know as soon as these thunderstorms pass :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sataere posted:

Absolutely. The whole package obviously isn't cheap, but man it is incredible what a fully fit set of clubs does for you.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So played the first game of inter club match play yesterday. My partner and I lost 2 and 1 but the other 2 groups won so we won the day.

One of those days where any of our mistakes were punished and a guy on the other team knocked in 3 straight 20 foot putts from off the green when we should have been able to finish the match.

Oh well such is life but oh boy one of the guys we played against really rubbed me the wrong way, Sitting on the 14th green and I have a 4 foot putt to square the hole and this guy steps on my line once when he was clearing his line. I let it go the first time as everyone makes mistakes, when he finished his putt he tried to get fancy and "jump" over my line, he landed square in my line leaving a foot depression I couldn't putt around. I called him out on it but there was nothing I could do and missed the putt about 1" to the left of the hole. Instead of just dealing with being 1 down I got angry and maybe hit the worst shot I ha e ever hit ended up 2 down and a hole to dig out way out of.

Had heaps of fun and can't wait for next week, it's such a different game than a normal round.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

green etiquette has really slipped in the last few years, and yeah stepping on lines drives me nuts

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
That's why the first time he did it I let it go and honestly I probably would have let it go the second time as well had he not been wearing spikes. Soft spikes sure but that still cuts the green up when he landed. It's why I like moulded souls especially when it's dry, does far less damage to the green and Yu don't leave spike marks.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Which grade are you in Dimebag? We start major pennants next month on the 12th. Love matchplay, anything can happen and it's a great experience representing your club. Just wish we played in autumn, too drat hot this time of year :(

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Currently in C Grade so 18.5 and above handicaps I only qualified by less than a stroke. If I play well I shouldn't lose but I need to change my mindset and hit driver less.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Cool. As long as you keep the ball in play you're always going to put pressure on your opponent. Just comes down to sinking putts then.

I stick to my 2 or 4 iron off the tee in match play, most courses I play around Sydney are tight & tree lined. Nothing worse than gifting the opposition a hole because of a bad drive.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Yeah next 2 weeks should be interesting. Playing Everglades in Woy Woy which is flat as a tack but super tight. Then Kooinda Waters which is apparently tight but also as the name would suggest full of water hazards.

Where abouts do you play in Sydney Halo? I up on the central coast. Any other close to Sydney goon golfers in this thread? Maybe we could organise a game.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I think I mentioned I won 4 tickets to Wednesday's practice round at the Masters this year a while back. The plan was for me, my dad, a friend and his dad to make a week outta it. Well some things have come up with my dad and he can't make it so now I find myself with probably one of the most popular tickets to the Masters besides Sundays final round. You got the par 3 tourney, most likely Tiger's first time back, the ability to bring in a camera to the sacred grounds of Augusta, etc etc. Checking a few tickets sites online this day seems to be selling for upwards of $1200! Does that seem right? Do they really sell for that much? That would basically pay for my whole trip/souvenirs/lodging/food/golf etc if so.

Anyone with a lot of disposable income in here interested in it?? :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't be shocked at all at that going for $1,200. Stubhub's got prices all over the place.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
So my sister just got a job as the Director of Operations for Men's/Women's golf team for the University of Houston (where my whole family attended and my parents have been donors for 40+ years) so I'm pretty excited for her. She'll get to work with Jim Nantz and Freddie Couples on a big fundraiser and Elkington is apparently around quite a bit. Also their golf facility is the Shell Houston Open course so she said she'll get me on to play that when she can.

Besides the perks she can get me though, it's what she wants to do with her career and Coach Dismuke is an awesome guy so I know it'll be fun for her. She said she'll get to spend 75% of her days on the golf course, she doesn't really have to go to the office very often so I'm insanely jealous.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

She'll get to work with Jim Nantz

Shame :v:

Seriously though that sounds awesome

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I've played 5 rounds in New Jersey in 2017. Global warming ftw.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

I've played 5 rounds in New Jersey in 2017. Global warming ftw.

I got out on Sunday here in NY and didn't need a hat or anything, it was awesome. The retired dudes I played with said they had played five times in the last week. Of course yesterday we got half an inch of ice and 3-6 inches of snow and February is supposed to be lovely so it seems unlikely I'll get out again in the near future.

I'm planning on taking a couple lessons for the first time ever though so that's something. A buddy of mine went to a local guy a few times this month and said he's already done a lot for him so he sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't played since August, maybe July.

What's even the point of having blades if you can't show them off? :smith:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't played since August, maybe July.

What's even the point of having blades if you can't show them off? :smith:

Sounds like you need to golf more, friend.. I hadn't played since late November until about 2 weeks ago and man did I miss it. Going from 2 rounds a week to almost 3 months off is just really lame. The worst part is only about 3 weeks out of those 3 months was it actually lovely enough weather where I couldn't play, otherwise it's been in the upper 50's or 60's with some peaks into 70's. Fully plan to go out Sunday in the sunny 52 degrees to get a round in as I want to be on my game for Playa Mujeres Golf Club next week.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Tiger is in 127th place. He's not making the cut

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Has there been a more amazing fall from the top lately than Tiger's? Good grief.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I should def sell this Masters ticket before Tiger decides not to play then right?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Remember, 2 tournaments ago, he was tied for the lead like, 36 or 54 holes in or something.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

So I should def sell this Masters ticket before Tiger decides not to play then right?

Unless he's injured, he's not skipping the Masters.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Looks like Woods, Day and Johnson are headed for the trunk slam :haw:

In other news the lofts on those ping irons are loving strong as hell.

code:

CLUB	LENGTH	LOFT	POWER SPEC LOFT	LIE	OFFSET	BOUNCE	SWING WEIGHT	DEXTERITY
4-Iron	38.88"	21.00°	19.50°	60.56°	0.29"	5.0°	D0	RH/LH
5-Iron	38.25"	24.00°	22.50°	61.50°	0.26"	6.0°	D0	RH/LH
6-Iron	37.63"	27.00°	25.50°	62.44°	0.23"	7.0°	D0	RH/LH
7-Iron	37.00"	30.50°	29.00°	63.38°	0.20"	8.0°	D0	RH/LH
8-Iron	36.50"	35.00°	33.50°	64.13°	0.18"	9.0°	D0	RH/LH
9-Iron	36.00"	40.00°	38.50°	64.88°	0.16"	11.0°	D0	RH/LH
PW	35.50"	45.00°	44.00°	65.50°	0.14"	12.0°	D2	RH/LH
UW	35.50"	50.00°	49.00°	65.50°	0.12"	12.0°	D2	RH/LH
SW	35.25"	54.00°	53.50°	65.75°	0.10"	13.0°	D3	RH/LH
LW	35.00"	58.00°	58.00°	66.00°	0.08"	13.0°	D4	RH/LH

I was pretty shocked by the distance when my short-knocking rear end hit the 6 iron 168 yards to 8 feet from the pin Thursday.

e: the last set

code:
Model	Loft	Lie	Length	SW (G)	SW (S)	Hand	Flex	Bounce
5	26º	60.5º	38.5”	D1	D3	R, L	R, S, A	NA
6	29º	61.5º	37.875”	D1	D3	R, L	R, S, A	NA
7	33º	62º	37.25”	D1	D3	R, L	R, S, A	NA
8	37º	62.5º	36.625”	D1	D3	R, L	R, S, A	NA
9	41º	63º	36”	D1	D3	R, L	R, S, A	NA
PW	45º	63.5º	35.75”	D1	D3	R, L	R, S, A	NA
GW	50º	64º	35.5”	D3	D3	R, L	R, S, A	8°
SW	55º	64º	35.25”	D3	D3	R, L	R, S, A	12°
LW	60º	64º	35”	D3	D3	R, L	R, S, A	8°

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 28, 2017

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Yeah those are strong. That 6 iron loft is what my 5 iron is. poo poo like this is hilarious, but whatever --*Marketing*-- it's like when I am messing around at the golf galaxy next to my house and hit an mp5 6 iron like 185 and then grab an M2 7 iron and hit it 200 and the guy goes "that's the power of the M2 man, gives so much distance" and I'm just like yea, but this 7 iron is basically a 5 iron loft in my current set and he just looks at me like it's weird.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anyone who doesn't play off a 48* PW is a goddamned liar. :colbert:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Yeah those are strong. That 6 iron loft is what my 5 iron is. poo poo like this is hilarious, but whatever --*Marketing*-- it's like when I am messing around at the golf galaxy next to my house and hit an mp5 6 iron like 185 and then grab an M2 7 iron and hit it 200 and the guy goes "that's the power of the M2 man, gives so much distance" and I'm just like yea, but this 7 iron is basically a 5 iron loft in my current set and he just looks at me like it's weird.

Lofts aside, I went from a 124 gram Dynamic Gold S300 to a 104 gram AWT 2.0 S. They clocked me in the low 90's with a 7 iron. I'm still getting used to them on the course, but so far so good.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Tiger Withdraws due to back spasms. After a year of rehab, he still can't play 2 rounds on back to back days without back problems.

I'm never letting anyone operate on my back if I ever get like that.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Last night I saw some of his swings on espn and he looked okay, and then this morning he WDs and everyone starts talking about his obvious lack of range-of-motion during yesterday's round and how stiff he was...

Oh well, a full comeback is looking less and less likely which is pretty disappointing.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Here's my take:

1. He didn't look any worse, physically, than he did at Torrey Pines. He hit the ball well enough to score a good number, but he couldn't make a freaking putt. +5 at that course is a death sentence.

His "back spasms" were just an excuse to not waste another day, ESPECIALLY since...

2. The round 2 weather is really bad. Last I check, play was suspended due to high winds. Perhaps scores would have increased, but the cutline would have been somewhere around +2. He wasn't shooting the necessary sub-70 round in a sandstorm.

Now, I'm trying to be optimistic. I want him healthy, because a competitive Tiger is the most fun to watch. If he misses the cut or withdraws from the Genesis Open in 2 weeks, then I'll sound the alarm.

Edited to be a little more realistic.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kameh posted:

Here's my take:

1. He didn't look any worse, physically, than he did at Torrey Pines. He hit the ball well enough to score a good number, but he couldn't make a freaking putt. +5 at that course is a death sentence.

His "back spasms" were just an excuse to not waste another day, ESPECIALLY since...

2. The round 2 weather is really bad. Last I check, play was suspended due to high winds. Perhaps scores would have increased, but the cutline would have been somewhere around +2. He wasn't shooting the necessary sub-70 round in a sandstorm.

Now, I'm trying to be optimistic. I want him healthy, because a competitive Tiger is the most fun to watch. If he misses the cut or withdraws from the Genesis Open in 2 weeks, then I'll sound the alarm.

Edited to be a little more realistic.

They showed a video of him trying to climb out of bunker on the golf channel about 44 times. He looked pretty stiff.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Who cares, I'd rather watch Sergio's swing :gizz:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

Who cares, I'd rather watch Sergio's swing :gizz:

Now we're talking! ❤️

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Oh how can I describe this...

I've never hit the ball more solidly, but with shittier results than I have lately. I just can't hit my loving target on the course.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Goddamned it's sloppy and muddy out in NorCal. Yesterday's round was painful, meh. Good thing is the courses should still be nice and green in August when it's 147 degrees out.

Sergio! :spain: over Ragnar Henrik Stenson :sweden:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So interesting conundrum. Played a new course yesterday as part of pennants and was blown away. I've looked into it and membership while more expensive especially compared to my current club, isn't that bad given the facilities, condition and design of the course.

I'm seriously considering moving clubs but the main issue is the people you play with. My current club while amazing people to play with is not the best and has zero facilities outside of the bar and a counter pro shop. The new club, the guys I played against from there did seem nice but it seems a lot more formal and I hate that stuff.

Anyone done something similar and how did it work out for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Now that I have a car I'll be keeping for 5+ years, I finally got to do something with my Titleist bumper sticker:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 6, 2017