Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gasol has never been a particularly good rebounder, so it makes sense that his job is to box out and prevent ORB more than it is to grab them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

DeimosRising posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait....Marc Gasol is shooting 40% from three on 4 attempts a game but only averaging 5 rebounds??

Memphis 5th in defensive rebounding. They are getting their smalls to rebound to try to get some pace. This is part of a larger trend throughout the league. Outlets are passé.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

It's as if Durant doesn't pass the ball

Durant is a super efficient scorer, he should try to score.

You replace a 15% usage guy with someone who is going to be 27-30% usage, those possessions have to come from someone. Klay is the same guy he was the last couple years, there's just less shots for him to share. Same goes to Draymond.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That all makes sense but if I told you 10 years ago the fat Gasol brother was going to put up that particular stat line you'd try to buy drugs from me

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Durant is a super efficient scorer, he should try to score.

You replace a 15% usage guy with someone who is going to be 27-30% usage, those possessions have to come from someone. Klay is the same guy he was the last couple years, there's just less shots for him to share. Same goes to Draymond.

This is not remotely true. Draymond is shooting much, much worse than he was last year. .040% overall and .060% from 3. His true shooting is down. .040 as well. He is a considerably worse offensive player than he was last year. A rare instance where both usage and efficiency drop at the same time.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I've pinpointed our issue...the guy who was the 30th pick in the draft who has worked himself into becoming a top-10 player. Ok that might sound like he's not that bad but he complained about his lovely teammates and coach and he's friends with Mark Wahlberg

Jimmy is a great player and works his rear end off. Jimmy also hasn't been able to get along with a lot of teammates and undermined both coaches he's had. That was a bush league move on his part the other night to throw a tantrum because Niko dared to shoot a wide open 3 late in the game instead of passing it back to Jimmy for an iso. Same with telling his coach to gently caress off.

I'm not saying it's all his fault or the Bulls should trade him. Just that this is now the 3rd straight year that he can't get along with coaches and teammates.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
This woman applied to be my intern and I almost want to reject her outright because she goes to Iowa State and that's where Hoiberg's from.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Jimmy is a great player and works his rear end off. Jimmy also hasn't been able to get along with a lot of teammates and undermined both coaches he's had. That was a bush league move on his part the other night to throw a tantrum because Niko dared to shoot a wide open 3 late in the game instead of passing it back to Jimmy for an iso. Same with telling his coach to gently caress off.

I'm not saying it's all his fault or the Bulls should trade him. Just that this is now the 3rd straight year that he can't get along with coaches and teammates.

His coaches and teammates suck, though.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Strawberry Panda posted:

This woman applied to be my intern and I almost want to reject her outright because she goes to Iowa State and that's where Hoiberg's from.

Gonna need to summon the guy who used to post IOWA STATE CYCLONES in every thread until he got banned to answer this trespass.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I love the fucken bulls

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is not remotely true. Draymond is shooting much, much worse than he was last year. .040% overall and .060% from 3. His true shooting is down. .040 as well. He is a considerably worse offensive player than he was last year. A rare instance where both usage and efficiency drop at the same time.

His 3pt shooting is right back to where he has been in his career, last year was the aberration. I guess you're right that he isn't the same guy last year, but that was an outlier. 4-6% drops in shooting after 40 games is within error margins anyway. While his usage dropped, it was always pretty low. Between shots and Free Throws the difference for him is only about 2 possessions per game. The drop in numbers for him and Klay were very predictable. For Klay, he is still getting his shots but his role in the offense is different and he is having trouble adjusting.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Bulls implosion was and is predictable in a way that's beautiful. It's like the platonic ideal of predictability.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lockback posted:

His 3pt shooting is right back to where he has been in his career, last year was the aberration. I guess you're right that he isn't the same guy last year, but that was an outlier. 4-6% drops in shooting after 40 games is within error margins anyway. While his usage dropped, it was always pretty low. Between shots and Free Throws the difference for him is only about 2 possessions per game. The drop in numbers for him and Klay were very predictable. For Klay, he is still getting his shots but his role in the offense is different and he is having trouble adjusting.
I think most people expected that he and Klay would score less, more efficiently with the added gravity of Durant.

E: like Draymond is clearly shooting worse, but he's also lacked the aggressiveness on drives that made him such a great third option last season.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 27, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

I think most people expected that he and Klay would score less, more efficiently with the added gravity of Durant.

E: like Draymond is clearly shooting worse, but he's also lacked the aggressiveness on drives that made him such a great third option last season.

It's the Bosh/Love effect. Becoming the 3rd option (or 4th I guess) has a bigger effect than people realize. While Durant adds gravity, there's only so much room on the floor and you want to make sure Durant is involved in as many plays as possible since he is such a weapon. That means you will end up losing good looks for your less involved guys. The Warriors have the best offense and defense, so they are clearly doing it right.

For Draymond, I think those above-the-break triple-threat plays are just going to Durant more often, so he doesn't have the opportunity quite as much to drive out of those option plays as much as he has.

edit: Here is my prediction in July and credit to Tae for going one step further.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780706&pagenumber=156&perpage=40#post461748149

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 27, 2017

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Lockback posted:

It's the Bosh/Love effect. Becoming the 3rd option (or 4th I guess) has a bigger effect than people realize. While Durant adds gravity, there's only so much room on the floor and you want to make sure Durant is involved in as many plays as possible since he is such a weapon. That means you will end up losing good looks for your less involved guys. The Warriors have the best offense and defense, so they are clearly doing it right.

For Draymond, I think those above-the-break triple-threat plays are just going to Durant more often, so he doesn't have the opportunity quite as much to drive out of those option plays as much as he has.

edit: Here is my prediction in July and credit to Tae for going one step further.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780706&pagenumber=156&perpage=40#post461748149

Yeah that makes sense. You're trying to get good looks for Durant and Curry as the first priority, Klay as the second, so Draymond gets shuffled around to places on the floor where he's not as good at scoring because the other guys are better at scoring from them.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Somehow GSW got better on defense this year while the rest of the top defensive teams in the league got worse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yeah that makes sense. You're trying to get good looks for Durant and Curry as the first priority, Klay as the second, so Draymond gets shuffled around to places on the floor where he's not as good at scoring because the other guys are better at scoring from them.

Basically. It's offset by getting open looks when Durant is double teamed, but then you also have Durant (probably?) taking more of the fast break/broken defense points than Barnes was so you lose some of your bunny points too.

I still think usage is really important, but as I watch more games and watch how teams evolve I am pretty sure Role has just as big of an impact. On offense, Klay clearly has a different role. Draymond too (though I think for him its also just regressing a bit back to what he actually is). So you make a guy change his role, you'll see his production change.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just heard on some national ESPN show that there was a rumor during Butler's original contract extension negotiations, the Bulls front office threatened to have him either accept his four-year-$44MM contract or they will have Tony Snell take his minutes to depress his numbers so that he won't get anything better in free agency the next year. Thibs then said gently caress that noise and that he would play Butler over Snell regardless.

I think it was on the Kinell show but it wasn't Kinell who said the rumor.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

Fair enough. I don't see why it follows that efficiency should dip, though. Typically it's more or less independent. Love & Bosh were fairly close to their career efficiency after changing teams.

E: also Thompson's production has barely changed

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Also neat tidbit I found when researching my article: since Jokic became a starter, the Nuggets have been first in team OREB% and opponents OREB%.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The fact that that Draymond is playing worse because the rest of his team got better, even if it makes sense and is completely reasonable, does not make it ok that he is an all-star. His dip is productivity and efficiency should not be rewarded with an all-star birth, especially given that he is a gigantic poo poo head.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It wasn't the addition of Durant, it was Kevin Hart that sent him on this downward spiral of kicking and getting suspended and shooting worse.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Eltoasto posted:

It wasn't the addition of Durant, it was Kevin Hart that sent him on this downward spiral of kicking and getting suspended and shooting worse.

Remembering this always makes me smile.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Draymond blowing his fake competition stunt and TNT having to cheat just to make things go according to plan is the underrated sports story of this century

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Paul Zuvella posted:

The fact that that Draymond is playing worse because the rest of his team got better, even if it makes sense and is completely reasonable, does not make it ok that he is an all-star. His dip is productivity and efficiency should not be rewarded with an all-star birth, especially given that he is a gigantic poo poo head.

counterpoint - 7.5 assists per game (8th in the league) and a 3.3 assist/turnover ratio for a defensive stopper.

Lebron is the only other front court player in the top 30 in assists.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

What if I told you that an NBA champion lost a basketball competition that was designed for him to win? That a Hollywood actor, doomed to fail, proved height means nothing between the white lines?

Find out the whole story behind a stunt that went awry and the NBA's cover up in the next 30 for 30, Tight Rim: The All-Star Shooting Shock That Wasn't

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
"It was Draymond Green's ideal! He physically intimidated me! You can spell that D-R-A-Y-MOND!"

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

predicto posted:

counterpoint - 7.5 assists per game (8th in the league) and a 3.3 assist/turnover ratio for a defensive stopper.

Yeah, passing and defense are Draymond's only case for making the game and he's really good at them. I think Gobert is a much more impactful player, though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Lmao I forgot about this thank you

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

predicto posted:

Rudy Gobert is both better at Defense and making balls go into the hoop.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

dokmo posted:

The ability to guard the biggest rotation player on the opponents team is a center.

That definition doesn't work because nobody can guard Embiid.

nice article.

I love that video of Embiid blocking LeBron, but it would be even better of it was an actual block and not a goaltend.

edit: Also glad you mentioned Whiteside as someone who should have made it before Millsap.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 27, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dray stuffs the stat sheet like a taller uglier Rondo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sam Amico said the thunder are thinking about Melody. Let's ignore for a second that Amico said it and discuss it seriously

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

That definition doesn't work because nobody can guard Embiid.

nice article.

I love that video of Embiid blocking LeBron, but it would be even better of it was an actual block and not a goaltend.
I love the way that he makes LeBron look like a pickup basketball player.

Embiid seriously looks like he's a monstar from a different planet sent to destroy the sport sometimes.

WhyteRyce posted:

Sam Amico said the thunder are thinking about Melody. Let's ignore for a second that Amico said it and discuss it seriously
lmao if after all this Carmelo agreed to leave New York to go to Oklahoma

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Would the Knicks really trade for an injured kanter?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This was a good article until you didn't put KAT on it

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

This was a good article until you didn't put KAT on it
He would be on the team if I didn't like Jokic and Gobert's season more 😁 I think all three are having better years than Gasol and Jordan.

E: actually Gasol and Towns are pretty close. If Towns had his January for the rest of the season, he's be a lock

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 27, 2017

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Metapod posted:

Hell yeah, we would.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

Replace Melo with nothing and they might not hit 25 wins. That would be good for 2nd worst if everyone continued at their current pace otherwise and no way it's worse than 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I feel like Westbrook would probably murder 'Melo within a week.

• Locked thread