Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For anyone with morbid curiosity Riverdale premiers tonight on the CW.

I just find the whole thing baffling.

Most of the advance reviews have been pretty good. Everything I've heard leads me to believe it will be a fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

X-O posted:

Most of the advance reviews have been pretty good. Everything I've heard leads me to believe it will be a fun show.

I'm getting Twin Peaks vibes from it. Which is good.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Since I am a glutton for punishment and am curious about the "Afterlife with Archie" writers pulling this off or not, I'm going to watch this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wish I got local channels, so I didn't have to wait until tomorrow to watch this on the CW app, but I am incredibly curious to see how they even attempt to make this work.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I liked it. Definitely felt they were taking a lot of cues from Afterlife with Archie. Was Jughead only at the end? Seemed weird the only time I remember him was alone with Archie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yep. I really liked Riverdale. My gateway to Archie was the Afterlife series written by the showrunner of this show and it feels a lot like that. You know except for the whole zombie thing. I recently caught up on the new Archie series, having never read anything other than Afterlife, and I enjoyed it. Felt to me like they nailed the characters, even if I'm somewhat new to them anyway. I was worried they were going to make Veronica out to be the antagonist of the series for some reason but I'm happy that's not what's happening at all.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Archie is so weird to me because I only ever encountered it in those big jumbo books other people inexplicably had in their bathrooms. So when I hear "that comic literally everyone has in their bathroom but never reads is getting a dark gritty tv show" I was pretty shocked.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

Archie is so weird to me because I only ever encountered it in those big jumbo books other people inexplicably had in their bathrooms. So when I hear "that comic literally everyone has in their bathroom but never reads is getting a dark gritty tv show" I was pretty shocked.

At one point they were trying to make it into a movie and the demands movie studio people had was even weirder than a gritty small-town murder.

quote:

Riverdale originally was pitched as a movie, he said, and they thought they had a deal, until one exec, who he declined to name, called a meeting and strongly urged them to add time travel, or portals because “portals are huge,” or cast Louis CK as Archie – which even Aguirre-Sacasa said left him “gobsmacked.”

Eventually teaming with Greg Berlanti to develop as a TV series, he was told, “you’re going to need a dead body.”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Should have made the dead body Archie just to gently caress with everyone.

A show like this is either going to be good solid TV or a total dumpster fire. I'm okay either way, to be honest.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't know anything about Archie comics except the main guy is a ginger and there's a guy named Jughead.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

Should have made the dead body Archie just to gently caress with everyone.

A show like this is either going to be good solid TV or a total dumpster fire. I'm okay either way, to be honest.

I'm hoping it will be like Gotham, and be both.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Was really hoping Veronica was going to make out with Cheryl after making out with Bettie. :jackbud:

Also, Moose doesn't want to kiss because he's a power bottom.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sector_corrector posted:

I'm hoping it will be like Gotham, and be both.

:agreed:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only thing that shocks me about the Archie TV show is that every episode doesn't have a Josie and the Pussycats song that they're selling on iTunes.

Or does it? I haven't actually watched. Although I probably will when Sabrina the Teenage Witch shows up.

But seriously, we've had a Sabrina TV show and a Josie movie so why are we so shocked that they finally got around to an Archie show? They had to get around to it eventually.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

The only thing that shocks me about the Archie TV show is that every episode doesn't have a Josie and the Pussycats song that they're selling on iTunes.

Or does it? I haven't actually watched. Although I probably will when Sabrina the Teenage Witch shows up.

But seriously, we've had a Sabrina TV show and a Josie movie so why are we so shocked that they finally got around to an Archie show? They had to get around to it eventually.

The comic doesn't seem like it would support a series, which I guess is why they went... well, I've only seen the preview, so I can't really comment, but why they did whatever you'd call what they did.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A few of the Archie comics go that way. Hell, Life with Archie has him being killed taking a bullet to save someone's life.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

I would be all over that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvQY6tLMdL0

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lelandjs posted:

The comic doesn't seem like it would support a series, which I guess is why they went... well, I've only seen the preview, so I can't really comment, but why they did whatever you'd call what they did.

I mean, its just a comic book about teenagers in love triangles. Its the rough basis for half of CW's shows historically. Really, its the perfect marriage between CW's two favorite things - Comics and Teen Melodrama. Jughead should be CW's spirit animal.

I assume. I also have never watched the show nor read the comic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The only Archie knowledge I had was from my grandmother giving me a few books to read when I stayed over at her house when I was a kid, so I don't have many memories about it anymore except the broad strokes. Still, I wouldn't watch this show if it wasn't Archie, because I really appreciate how the people at Archie Comics allow their IP to be transformed in strange directions. The first episode didn't really grab me, but I'll give it a few more because I want to see how weird they're willing to get, especially if the rumors about a Halloween episode with Sabrina are true, though I don't know if "actual magic" will be involved.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lelandjs posted:

TV shows have been based on a whole lot less than "goofy high school boy has to choose between the girl next door and the rich heiress while navigating the trials and tribulations of high school."

I loved Archie as a kid, and have a few of the 40s-60s collections, which are terrific. It's a bit sad to me that they had to go so dark when the original property was so light and fun for so many years, but :shrug: this is the way of things these days. It's not like Spider-Man and Batman weren't goofy for many years too.

Just seems like a bit of a shame that it couldn't be a fun, feel-good, comedic show. And a period piece, since Riverdale felt like it was still in the 50s up until the recent reboot.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 27, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

TV shows have been based on a whole lot less than "goofy high school boy has to choose between the girl next door and the rich heiress while navigating the trials and tribulations of high school."

I loved Archie as a kid, and have a few of the 40s-60s collections, which are terrific. It's a bit sad to me that they had to go so dark when the original property was so light and fun for so many years, but :shrug: this is the way of things these days. It's not like Spider-Man and Batman weren't goofy for many years too.

Just seems like a bit of a shame that it couldn't be a fun, feel-good, comedic show. And a period piece, since Riverdale felt like it was still in the 50s up until the recent reboot.

Ah but this is the age of peak TV, where everything must be a dark grimfest.

Also I feel like, given the current political climate, a show that harkens back to the good ol' days of the 50s where women and foreigners knew their place might be slightly too on the nose.

[Edit: Make Riverdale Great Again]

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Ah but this is the age of peak TV, where everything must be a dark grimfest.

Also I feel like, given the current political climate, a show that harkens back to the good ol' days of the 50s where women and foreigners knew their place might be slightly too on the nose.

Isn't Archie reasonably progressive?

I wouldn't know, though. I just got that impression somewhere.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I think I heard they added some gay stuff in the later years in a desperate attempt to remain relevant, but all I personally know of Archie is that tv has made fun of it for being boring 50s ned flanders-style fare.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Short answer is "yes, but only recently".

A show like the poster above described (a throwback to the 50's) would suffer issues like a lack of people of color/women with agency (for literally decades Betty and Veronica's sole character trait was being in love with Archie, and while I'm sure there are black/latinx/asian characters in the comics now there certainly weren't any to begin with, Valerie for instance got added in the... 60's, I think).

And if a show that took place in the 50s added those elements it would (unfortunately) ring false. There's simply no way to win with a light-hearted show based on the original run Archie comics.

[Edit: well I guess there's the subversive angle pointing out how horrible things were for women/POC but it would be hard to balance with a light-hearted tone]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 27, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know anything about Archie comics except the main guy is a ginger and there's a guy named Jughead.

Really, that and the fact that there are two hot girls constantly battling for his jock are all you need to know.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mallrats told me everything I need to know about Archie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreenNight posted:

Mallrats told me everything I need to know about Archie.

I think you mean Chasing Amy. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jbDprab-4

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Braindead is one of the best shows from 2016 that I probably never would have heard of were it not streaming here. Shame it got cancelled but I feel like it could have worked just as well without the alien bug plot.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched Riverdale. Sigh.

Probably gonna watch a few more episodes before I decide it's not for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yep, you're correct.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
American Horror Story Hotel is better than American Horror Story Coven

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And Terminator: Genisys is better than Terminator 3.

Where can I watch Dark Archie? Is it on Hulu?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Where can I watch Dark Archie? Is it on Hulu?

CW App

Also tonight's Sleepy Hollow is the John Noble episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/riverdale

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

CW App

Also tonight's Sleepy Hollow is the John Noble episode.

Ah, so not on ps4 then. Shame.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Canada (and most non-US countries I think) gets Riverdale on Netflix the day after the episode airs. US is going to get it a week after the season finale.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
If anyone else is watching Emerald City, they just went meta.

Dorothy, in disguise because PLOT REASONS, delays her escape from the titular town and follows some stairs up... and then into the living chambers of the Wizard himself. All this time, we're listening to the closing music montage, which in this case was Pink Floyd's "Time." She finds a room full of Earth stuff, and there's a personal cassette player hooked up to some speakers. She picks it up and presses a button, and the song stops, getting the Wiz's attention. She says it's Pink Floyd, and the rest of the scene happens.

Yes. In a version of the Wizard of Oz, they put in a bit of Dark Side of the Moon.

I see what you did there, writers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I liked American Horror Story Hotel. Not all of the storylines were always interesting, and it needed two endings because it couldn't tie eveything together at the end, but it was overall enjoyable.

I think I missed the explanation for the chicken skin drill dick demon, so that was weird

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Riverdale seems fun and is visually really good. Someone should make a proper thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MorgaineDax posted:

Canada (and most non-US countries I think) gets Riverdale on Netflix the day after the episode airs. US is going to get it a week after the season finale.

Orrrr you can go to cwtv.com or use the cw app and watch it for free.

• Locked thread