Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Did he ever gently caress Ethel?

No, his true love is the time displaced great granddaughter of Archie.

Duh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna be in LA next week and probably spend most of my time looking at cool movie-related poo poo. What should I go see? I'm staying at a hotel in Hollywood not far from the Chinese Theater, but I'm willing to hike/uber a bit.

Not movie related but check out the Getty Centre some awesome stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna be in LA next week and probably spend most of my time looking at cool movie-related poo poo. What should I go see? I'm staying at a hotel in Hollywood not far from the Chinese Theater, but I'm willing to hike/uber a bit.

Griffith Park!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

Fire Station No. 23, which was used as the firehouse interior in the Ghostbusters movies (it's been out of service as an actual station for decades), is on Fifth Street in downtown Los Angeles.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

this is a legit thing actually!

Lurdiak posted:

Jughead's not been asexual since at least the late 80s.

loving casuals.

i mean unless you don't live in a hole in a ground and saw that zdarsky explicitly wrote him as such

Lemon
May 22, 2003

ynohtna posted:

e: War On Everyone is hella disappointing.

Can confirm.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ynohtna posted:

e: War On Everyone is hella disappointing.

Lemon posted:

Can confirm.

i dont want to hear this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well, we've still got Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri to look forward to.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Archie digests you find in supermarket checkouts are actually kind of great, they usually have comics from different eras and it's a fun, weird way to get a look at pop culture history. Narratively they're usually terrible but there's something fascinating about the plug-and-play style, and if you read a bunch at once it starts to feel like minimalist music, all these little diversions and subtly shifting repetitions creating an overall oblique whole. Now and then it becomes pop art.

edit: I'd love to see a history class that teaches culture exclusively through parody. You get this really violent sense of bleeding life reading 1970s and 80s Mad Magazine in such a compact way.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 27, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Archie digests you find in supermarket checkouts are actually kind of great, they usually have comics from different eras and it's a fun, weird way to get a look at pop culture history. Narratively they're usually terrible but there's something fascinating about the plug-and-play style, and if you read a bunch at once it starts to feel like minimalist music, all these little diversions and subtly shifting repetitions creating an overall oblique whole. Now and then it becomes pop art.

edit: I'd love to see a history class that teaches culture exclusively through parody. You get this really violent sense of bleeding life reading 1970s and 80s Mad Magazine in such a compact way.

The digests were a history of Archie in the sense that each era you get different interpretations of the characters and their relationships. Archie was sometimes a total goober with a real jalopy of a car or he was an average dude everyman with a decent car. It was an introduction at a young age to the idea of long-standing characters being changed and re-imagined over the years whereas with TV shows or movies you might settle on a certain interpretation as "my Batman" if that's the one that happens to be dominant when you're at a particular age.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

people who put up movies on youtube & then apply motion stabilization r morally incorrect

Whenever I see that I'm like what are you doing, proving a point?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Holy poo poo. Maybe got an airport, loving hardest part in pre is done.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ruddiger posted:

The Egyptian Theater's right down the block from Mann's Chinese Theater, here's a link to their schedule

http://aerotheatre.com

The New Beverly Cinema and the Silent Movie Theater are two other art house theaters close to the Hollywood area.

http://thenewbev.com

http://cinefamily.org

The diner from Pulp Fiction and the restaurant where DeNiro and Pacino have their sit down in Heat are both out of business (and they just shut down the Formosa, the dive bar from Swingers), but the diner from the opening of Reservoir Dogs is still open and located in Eagle Rock. It's called Pat & Lorraine's and I recommend their breakfast if you decide to check it out. Cash only tho. Here's the Yelp page.

Pat & Lorraine's - https://www.yelp.com/biz/pat-and-lorraines-coffee-shop-los-angeles

The Dresden was the other bar they go to in Swingers, I'm pretty sure that one's still open, it's located on Vermont, east of Hollywood. The area the Dresden's in is pretty trendy too, with a couple little theaters nearby (the Los Feliz 3 and the Vista) and some other bars and restaurants that make up the Vermont/Los Feliz area.

If you're looking for a little more seedier experience, Cheetah's and Jumbo's are two go-go dancing bars that attract big crowds. Jumbo's is a clown-themed bar, but it's crazy popular for whatever reason, and there's usually a line to get in.

If you're looking to catch any live music, The Echo/Echoplex, The Satellite, The Roxy, Troubadour, and the Fonda are all really good venues, and the Echo does themed dance nights which are usually pretty cool.

Death By The Blues posted:

Not movie related but check out the Getty Centre some awesome stuff.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Griffith Park!

Timby posted:

Fire Station No. 23, which was used as the firehouse interior in the Ghostbusters movies (it's been out of service as an actual station for decades), is on Fifth Street in downtown Los Angeles.

Thanks for the suggestions! I took a look at the Egyptian Theatre's schedule and unfortunately, they're not showing anything while I'm in town (the downside of a Tuesday-Thursday trip), But I might go see something at Cinefamilly or the New Beverly. Has anyone here seen The Love Witch?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
There are really good seats for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds in May or June but I don't think any of my friends will want to go with me...

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well, we've still got Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri to look forward to.

How did I not know about an upcoming In Bruges In Missouri, holy poo poo that's perfect.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Re: LA poo poo, the Nu Art Theater on the Westside is also neat and is walking distance from Sawtelle (ramen, ramen and ramen).

If you hit up the New Bev, eat around the corner at Wirsthaus and get tanked before gorging on cheap popcorn.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

There are really good seats for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds in May or June but I don't think any of my friends will want to go with me...

If I were even remotely close to New York I'd be all over that poo poo. Although the last time I saw them on the east coast (Boston, March 2013) the show was awful...

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Jesus, that's a cast.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Has anyone here seen The Love Witch?

Cinefamily showings have been selling out fast so buy tickets asap

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Re: LA poo poo, the Nu Art Theater on the Westside is also neat and is walking distance from Sawtelle (ramen, ramen and ramen).

If you hit up the New Bev, eat around the corner at Wirsthaus and get tanked before gorging on cheap popcorn.

I got my stein last year at Wirtshaus, I stop in every chance I get.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
O poo poo if you want food options, check out:

Guisados and Tlayuda, both are so gooooooooood.

Also, get some Korean BBQ and if you like fancy tropical cocktails in a cool setting check out Tiki Ti.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Has anyone here seen The Love Witch?

Second best narrative film of last year after Green Room.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

How did I not know about an upcoming In Bruges In Missouri, holy poo poo that's perfect.

Yup, with Frances Mcdormand in the lead. Gonna be good.

GonSmithe posted:

Spent more money on tickets to his Boston date in June than I've ever spent on concert tickets before. Got very good seats, I'm stoked.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Spent more money on tickets to his Boston date in June than I've ever spent on concert tickets before. Got very good seats, I'm stoked.

I spent a little over $175 to get third-row seats at their Milwaukee show in 2015 and it was incredibly well worth it. I was going to get tickets for the Chicago show but they were just so, so expensive. At least the Boston show isn't at the Orpheum -- that's where the 2013 one was, and the acoustics were just terrible all night long.

I'm interested to see how the songs from Skeleton Tree translate to a live setting, because they're just so pared back (driven heavily by Warren Ellis' loops), and yet they're touring with a full band: Ellis, Marty Casey, Thomas Wydler, Jim Sclavunos, Conway Savage, George Vjestica and Larry Mullins (better known as Toby Dammit). Savage hasn't toured with the band in a few years, nor has Wydler, and I just wonder what they'll actually be doing on the stage.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Magic Hate Ball posted:

now go read about when archie got Mad Christian

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Death By The Blues posted:

O poo poo if you want food options, check out:

Guisados and Tlayuda, both are so gooooooooood.

Also, get some Korean BBQ and if you like fancy tropical cocktails in a cool setting check out Tiki Ti.

Hae Jang Chong in K-Town has some great Korean BBQ but the wait time is pretty ridiculous (an hour+ wait times are the norm there). There's a great K-BBQ hot wing place right next door called Kyo Chon that is FANTASTIC however, and there's hardly ever a wait to get a seat.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yup, with Frances Mcdormand in the lead. Gonna be good.

And Woody Harrelson, too. What do you think is the most Missouri way to celebrate, because whatever it is that's what I'm doing right now. Except smoking meth, i know some wiseguy's gonna answer with that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Every time someone uploads a video to Youtube in portrait mode, Jesus weeps.

This will continue to be a thing as long as 90% of what the average user does on their phone is portrait. Hell, you'd probably have to go back down the chain and try and figure out how to make devices as ergonomically sound in landscape as naturally as devices already are in portrait.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

This will continue to be a thing as long as 90% of what the average user does on their phone is portrait. Hell, you'd probably have to go back down the chain and try and figure out how to make devices as ergonomically sound in landscape as naturally as devices already are in portrait.

I read somewhere on this here website that it's actually totally possible to present a landscape picture while holding a vertical phone, they just don't do it because its unintuitive to record something with bars covering so much of the screen & end up with a different final file then you started with. Seems like theres apps that do it for you now though
https://horizon.camera/

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

I read somewhere on this here website that it's actually totally possible to present a landscape picture while holding a vertical phone, they just don't do it because its unintuitive to record something with bars covering so much of the screen & end up with a different final file then you started with. Seems like theres apps that do it for you now though
https://horizon.camera/

Huh, that's legitimately interesting. I wonder if part of the issue is sheer screen real-estate: if people are recording something, they want the result as big on their screen (if for no other reason than they want to be able to see if their recording is what they want to be recording), and the bars at the top and bottom are crunching the image (if only during filming).

Unrelated, I really wish movie ticket kiosks had a "are you sure you want to print this ticket? Your showing isn't today!" sanity check on them. I bought a ticket to a little indie movie I'm interested in, and somewhere along the line I glossed over the fact that it comes out next Friday, not today.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, I really wish movie ticket kiosks had a "are you sure you want to print this ticket? Your showing isn't today!" sanity check on them. I bought a ticket to a little indie movie I'm interested in, and somewhere along the line I glossed over the fact that it comes out next Friday, not today.

It's okay, you can admit you're really pumped for The Space Between Us.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though guys, I'm pretty psyched right now to see what will likely be a borderline unwatchable movie

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

It's okay, you can admit you're really pumped for The Space Between Us.

I actually am I interested in that, but it wasn't what I was thinking of.

It's a movie called Growing Up Smith, a coming-of-age story about an Indian boy dealing with wanting to be an average American, with a father that is both supportive and wants him to be an average Indian.

I'm not sure why I'm so interested in it - Jason Lee is in it, and I haven't seen him in poo poo in a long time, plus the film ain't exactly my wheelhouse in general - but I caught an ad for it, and had the time off from work, so bought tickets.

It wasn't until I made a random comment to the ticket-tearer about seeing a movie so obscure that they didn't change the signage in that theater that we realized something was up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wyoming posted:

Ya'll city folk are weird.

I prefer civilization.

Jenny Angel posted:

Also, since I didn't say it outright earlier:

You guys are the best

Thanks, babe. Have you read Afterlife with Archie?

LesterGroans posted:

I like that there's a group of anti-fascist swampbillies riding around in a pick-up beating up nazis and stealing their coats.

"The officers left his side..."

GonSmithe posted:

Get better friends.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can't take the space between us seriously because I just in general can't take movies that play it straight but have pun titles seriously. See also Miles Ahead and Land of Mine.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CPL593H posted:

You couldn't pay me money to go camping. The closest thing I've even done to camping is staying in a hotel room that didn't have a hair dryer in the bathroom.

I thought gay guys loved camp.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

I spent a little over $175 to get third-row seats at their Milwaukee show in 2015 and it was incredibly well worth it. I was going to get tickets for the Chicago show but they were just so, so expensive. At least the Boston show isn't at the Orpheum -- that's where the 2013 one was, and the acoustics were just terrible all night long.

Yeah I don't like the Orpheum either. Saw Neutral Milk Hotel there and it sounded fine but if you're like anywhere back past the orchestra section in that place it's really hard to get a good view. Really excited that the show's at the Wang* this time.

I haven't given Skeleton Tree a close listen yet but I like what I've heard. I thought Push the Sky Away was amazing though, it's honestly in my top 3 of his probably.

*heh

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 28, 2017

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Seriously though guys, I'm pretty psyched right now to see what will likely be a borderline unwatchable movie

I felt the same way walking into Van Helsing so many years ago and then it was even shittier and crazy than I could have ever hoped. I felt alive

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Mirror and Daily Mail are reporting that John Hurt is dead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

The Mirror and Daily Mail are reporting that John Hurt is dead.

Ooooof. I thought I was done caring about celebrity deaths but this one knocked the wind out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A number of British journalists weren't allowed into the White House because the Secret Service didn't understand the dd/mm/yyyy dating system and thought their IDs had to be fake or something.

• Locked thread