Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The most hilarious backfill is when you join a game where the team is about to win. Dunno why that happens sometimes, but it great when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rirse posted:

The most hilarious backfill is when you join a game where the team is about to win. Dunno why that happens sometimes, but it great when it happens.

I assume that happens when someone's internet fucks up.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

YESS! Finally! 471+ loot boxes and I get a DOUBLE LEGENDARY for the first time ever! Hoo-raaaaay?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

mcbexx posted:

YESS! Finally! 471+ loot boxes and I get a DOUBLE LEGENDARY for the first time ever! Hoo-raaaaay?

And one of them is currency. Could be worse, could have been two copies of the same legendary

that you already had

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

The Mattybee posted:

So when are they making Hanzo into a not terribly designed character

The same time they realize that high-alpha long-range classes are unfun to play against and an anathema to the core gameplay concepts of Overwatch.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I got two legendaries as well today, pig hog and wastelander ana. Not too hot about the first but it's a holiday skin at least and the second is good

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

The Mattybee posted:

So when are they making Hanzo into a not terribly designed character

Everything about Scatter Arrow is bad and I don't understand who thought that ability was a good idea.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

Everything about Scatter Arrow is bad and I don't understand who thought that ability was a good idea.

There was a round where I was playing Hanzo and I kept killing this enemy Genji through nothing but pure luck. I've barely touched Hanzo. I'd fire scatter arrow into a room I saw some Tracer run into. Every shot misses her but the Genji who was also in there is hosed. I fire it at some random wall as I leave spawn...I kill Genji who's coming up behind me. I fire my ultimate blindly, just intending to force enemies off the point...Genji manages to dash straight into it.

That poor bastard.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Smiles posted:

lmao this is the best skin i'll never unequip it

Solid username/gamertag/skin combo this.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

dogstile posted:

I mean, that's fair enough. If i'm in QP i'm usually just waiting for a buddy to get out of a comp game/get online so I suppose it doesn't bother me as much.
For me it has been arcade mode to get the loot boxes. It's happened a couple of times in that dozen or so games. It was doubly insulting because I didn't even get chance to pick a character in either backfill before the game ended. It makes those wait times feel extra notable but yeah, not exactly a huge deal. I just fill the time fine tuning my new spray and voice line wheels :allears: Time well spent.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Scatter arrow is both too strong and unreliable garbage. It one shots people with less precision but is at the mercy of jumping and the dodgy geometry of the game. It really is a bad ability from all angles.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Scatter arrow is both too strong and unreliable garbage. It one shots people with less precision but is at the mercy of jumping and the dodgy geometry of the game. It really is a bad ability from all angles.

One of the huge reasons I'm starting to play more comp is that there's usually no hanzo and no widow. Those two are a good 70% of my deaths.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the worst feeling is suddenly taking a 100% shot before seeing that it was just the random splash of a scatter arrow fired somewhere vaguely in your direction. It already feels bad to die to a spammed corner arrow from Hanzo but that's even worse.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Smiles posted:

lmao this is the best skin i'll never unequip it

It's your username that really ties this together.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Buff the per arrow damage to parity with normal arrows with regards to how far it's drawn and increase the number of bounces but then make it so that only one arrow from any scatter shot can damage any one target. Still no headshot capability

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Just make it scatter on release, then it can be a tool for finishing off damaged people that are trying to get away.
Maybe make his regular arrow a bit better too?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I want to get good at this game, are there any serious goons on PS4?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'd get rid of the idea of Hanzo as some backline sniper and just nudge him toward a full fledged aggressive midrange fighter. Give him a sprint similar to Soldier, but maybe limited. Give him a better fire rate on M1 arrows. Ditch scattershot and give him a trick arrow with some kind of minor CC, OR give him an armor/barrier shredding special arrow on cooldown.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ToastyPotato posted:

I'd get rid of the idea of Hanzo as some backline sniper and just nudge him toward a full fledged aggressive midrange fighter. Give him a sprint similar to Soldier, but maybe limited. Give him a better fire rate on M1 arrows. Ditch scattershot and give him a trick arrow with some kind of minor CC, OR give him an armor/barrier shredding special arrow on cooldown.

This sounds awesome and would probably get me to break my "no Hanzo ever" rule.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
take away scatter shot but give him yondu's arrow from guardian of the galaxy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Just make it scatter on release, then it can be a tool for finishing off damaged people that are trying to get away.
Maybe make his regular arrow a bit better too?

Honestly, Hanzo's regular arrows are already pretty dang good. Even if they're no longer as big as they used to be in terms of hit boxes they're still more generous than a hitscan bullet, they've been buffed to have faster velocity, and they do 250 damage on a headshot which is enough to 1HK half the cast and force the other half to strongly consider backing off or popping defensive/sustain abilities. Really, Hanzo's big issues are simply that unlike "actual" DPS heroes his mobility is poor and he exists in a game where there are good and viable hitscan heroes that can do much the same things you'd want Hanzo doing. Scatter arrow's problem aside from being difficult to rely on is that it doesn't really add a lot of additional utility to his kit, it's just Arrow 2: More Bigger Damage (Maybe).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the consistent theme between all Hanzo's actives is that they give him the ability to overcome the usual line of sight weaknesses of the sniper archetype but scattershot is definitely the most unreliable element of that as it currently exists and tends to be materially more useful for popping enemies trying to close on you

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

take away scatter shot but give him yondu's arrow from guardian of the galaxy.

You have to whistle into your mic to control it and you must be in team voice chat for it to work too

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Make scatter arrow work like Mark & Execute from Splinter Cell, drag the crosshair over targets to mark them and you fire the splinters home in on them, they stay marked if they dodge around corners for the same amount of time Zen's discord lasts.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Do have to admit, the changes to Sombra from the update do feel a lot better for her. Hacking a lot more useful now it doesn't take forever and have a large cooldown.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kai Tave posted:

Make scatter arrow work like Mark & Execute from Splinter Cell, drag the crosshair over targets to mark them and you fire the splinters home in on them, they stay marked if they dodge around corners for the same amount of time Zen's discord lasts.

That's essentially giving Hanzo a "kill player" button.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Theta Zero posted:

That's essentially giving Hanzo a "kill player" button.

Not if each "mark" only assigns a single splinter to each target, which is what I mean. The individual splinters only do like 75 damage apiece, it's putting all six splinters into a single target that causes them to explode. And I don't mean like "homing missile" homing, just that you mark someone, launch the arrow, and one of those splinters will ricochet its way towards them unless they manage to juke it.

The ostensible purpose of splinter arrow is to make sick bank shots and hit people behind cover, the early still-in-beta demo reel that included Hanzo showed him doing this to an old version of Bastion with the forward shield for example. But it's basically a complete crapshoot whether you can actually do that or not because you can't predict how the arrows are going to scatter so it's more effective if still somewhat random to try and go for footshot-instakills. If you make how the splinters fly somewhat more "intelligent" and eliminate the ability for Hanzo to just stuff them all into a single target then splinter arrow becomes more an ability useful for finishing off wounded enemies taking cover which, on a reasonable cooldown, isn't too terrible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why is it a herculean task to get even friends on voice chat to shoot at Mercy? She's literally right there, stop trying to shoot the turret behind Reinhardt.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Replacing scatter arrow with a piercing arrow that goes through players and/or shields but has limited range would get his rear end on the point.

Kai Tave posted:

I think if this had a skill shot component to it, it would work. Like, the skill button marks someone you can see (or even someone who just ducked out of sight) and then paints a stationary target on a nearby surface that you have to hit with a regular arrow in like 1 second or something. If you hit it, the arrow ricochets into the target.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Merge the sonar arrow and scatter into one ability that does less damage but scatters and marks each enemy it hits.

Then give him a different 2nd ability. Maybe a barrier piercing arrow or something idk

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I really don't care about the teabagging, so I don't know why they added that stupid delay, but if they really want to change something, add a delay between jumps, because by god, those hippety hoppety bouncing Hanzos make my blood boil. Make the crosshair bloom, delay jumps, I don't care but that poo poo does not fly.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 28, 2017

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

mcbexx posted:

I really don't care about the teabagging, so I don't know why they added that stupid delay, but if they really want to change somehting, add a delay between jumps, because by god, those hippety hoppety bouncing Hanzos make my blood boil. Make the crosshair bloom, delay jumps, I don't care but that poo poo does not fly.

They added a delay because people were binding crouch to their scrollwheels to make it super hard to get headshots on them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mcbexx posted:

I really don't care about the teabagging, so I don't know why they added that stupid delay, but if they really want to change something, add a delay between jumps, because by god, those hippety hoppety bouncing Hanzos make my blood boil. Make the crosshair bloom, delay jumps, I don't care but that poo poo does not fly.

A delay between jumps would be completely loving awful, everything you just suggested sucks and has no place in an FPS. Once you get good jumping characters are easier to hit, anyways, since the arc is more predictable than someone zig-zagging on the ground.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Remove jump and strafe. Everyone must keyboard turn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just lost nine games in a row, and normally I would stop playing and center myself but the lure of event lootboxes is compelling me to grind this out'

Edit: Well at least that lootbox gave me a legendary. Roadhog's, which was lowest on my list, but I'll take what I can get

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 28, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish I could get the Roadhog skin. I've gotten 3 event legendaries in the 7 or 8 boxes I've gotten through the event so far, and they have been for D.Va, Mei and Winston. All heroes I barely ever touch.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I got the Dva skin. And then Lionhart, the most boring Rein legendary possible, in a world where he has 5 amazing legendary skins. :negative:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I got blackhardt and want lionhardt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I got blackhardt and want lionhardt

I have both 😂