Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lack of digital sales is huge these days. Atlus reported close to 550k sold with digital included like a month in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guess berseria did better in the longterm, i was just looking at week-one sales

tales audiences do trend towards older women which seems like an audience less likely to buy day one?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I would not figure that older women like tales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Tales has a lot of cute boys having cute boy adventures.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tired Moritz posted:

Fujoshi are of all ages, bro

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought it was still mostly men who bought the Tales game but women bought like the vast, vast majority of merchandise. That's what I heard at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought it was still mostly men who bought the Tales game but women bought like the vast, vast majority of merchandise. That's what I heard at least.
there's a lot of random dudes who buy the games but wouldn't classify themselves as fans and skip ones they don't find that interesting, but the core fanbase that buys every game is pretty much all women

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish English Persona a 5 would release so other Atlus projects can get worked on.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
you can just say EO5

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know what they're working on right now that Atlus USA could translate after P5, it's pretty much the most recent thing Atlus put out and it's been out for 4 months

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hasn't Atlus USA done non-Atlus localizations, though?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i distinctly remember a story that sales or preorders for p5 had a sharp uptick when the ffxv delay was announced

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlus apparently helped with Yakuza 0's localization.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Where's my loving EOV, Atlus???

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Hasn't Atlus USA done non-Atlus localizations, though?

Yeah, but it's not like there's anything immediate they'd concern themselves with. I'm not saying they don't have anything, just that I can't think they'd have anything big or even remotely worthy of note to be localizing afterwards.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i distinctly remember a story that sales or preorders for p5 had a sharp uptick when the ffxv delay was announced

Yes, that did happen on Amazon.jp

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Did they ever show off more of the Vanillaware Giant Robot game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah, still just that footage from like 2015 TGS.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Especially because you appaer to be treating dating every woman as a great thing and not something which the game treats as a bad thing with a unique scene dedicated to him getting comeuppance for doing it.

Wait, is this a thing outside of S. Links reversing in P3?

Luna Was Here posted:

My theory about the switch project is that it's going to be a remaster of one of the original three smt's, probably Nocturne. My evidence is based entirely on the fact that the announcement page had 3ds listed for the 3ds one and HD for the switch one, and I will wait to be disproven, but not disappointed.

I doubt it, I think calling it HD is leaving open the possibility that it might be ported to another "HD" system like PS4. The trailer had a school classroom and a heavy rose petal / vine motif throughout, which aren't things that appeared in the older SMT games. (discounting if...) And a heavy focus on Odin who didn't have a prominent role in the old mainline SMTs. It also specifically says "New project" at the end.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm hype for P5 and the new SMT project on 3DS. I want the Switch project to be bad so I don't have to buy a Switch.

I still want a Persona 1 remake with Social Links.

I'd love to Dance Crazy with Mark but mostly P1 has the worst and least interesting cast of the series.
None of the old Persona games could have social links without the plot and pacing of the games being significantly reworked. P1 starts with the city being overrun by zombies after all.
P3, P4 and P5 explicitly cordon off all dungeons, combat and supernatural aspects into a separate "other world" in order to make the life sim aspects work.

I know I am responding to much to a joke post but my weird fondness for P1's story and atmosphere makes me think that the game might be pretty cool and different if they had to reimagine the P1 story with the slower pacing and fairly "normal" setting that the later games had. If after SEBEC (which would have to be quite different), the game continued as a P3-4 style normal school life sim but you more slowly realized that the school and world are different, your classmates are slightly "off", etc. and pieced together the mystery of P1's other world through the course of living in it several months.

I'm still waiting for the basketball and toilet enemies from P1 to make their comeback in HD though.

Speaking of P1 I would love to know if there were ever any developer interviews or anything talking about how the Snow Queen quest came to be. I can't really think of other games which can branch off into a completely different full length story and campaign based on doing some rather obtuse things in the early game. I would love to know if there is any story behind why it exists.
SMT If... did the same thing, maybe it was just something they were experimenting with at the time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They announced they're doing the Utawaremono games last week or so.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Arist posted:

Shockingly, it's still Rise

Technically in P5, I suppose.

Luna Was Here posted:

My theory about the switch project is that it's going to be a remaster of one of the original three smt's, probably Nocturne. My evidence is based entirely on the fact that the announcement page had 3ds listed for the 3ds one and HD for the switch one, and I will wait to be disproven, but not disappointed.

Counter argument:
http://shin-megamitensei.jp/

The star says "Next" rather than having 3 circled with a bunch of red arrows pointing to it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Item Getter posted:

Wait, is this a thing outside of S. Links reversing in P3?

They added a Valentine's Day event in P4 Golden that becomes a giant smoldering train wreck of calling you out as a piece of poo poo if you're dating multiple girls. Highly recommend looking it up, it's quite something.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Tales has a lot of cute boys having cute boy adventures.

Clearly my ideal game v:v:v

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Item Getter posted:

I'd love to Dance Crazy with Mark but mostly P1 has the worst and least interesting cast of the series.
None of the old Persona games could have social links without the plot and pacing of the games being significantly reworked. P1 starts with the city being overrun by zombies after all.
P3, P4 and P5 explicitly cordon off all dungeons, combat and supernatural aspects into a separate "other world" in order to make the life sim aspects work.

I know I am responding to much to a joke post but my weird fondness for P1's story and atmosphere makes me think that the game might be pretty cool and different if they had to reimagine the P1 story with the slower pacing and fairly "normal" setting that the later games had. If after SEBEC (which would have to be quite different), the game continued as a P3-4 style normal school life sim but you more slowly realized that the school and world are different, your classmates are slightly "off", etc. and pieced together the mystery of P1's other world through the course of living in it several months.

I'm still waiting for the basketball and toilet enemies from P1 to make their comeback in HD though.

No, that's pretty much what I want. Take the basic setting and character and rework into a story that fits the P3/4/5 framework. There's enough cool characters to fit all arcanas. Add in the Snow Queen quest as one of the major dungeons, etc.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Motto posted:

They announced they're doing the Utawaremono games last week or so.

I got an email about that, what the hell are those? The announcement wasn't particularly clear.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

VNs with SRPG bits, I believe. The 2002 one is adult but the two Atlus are bringing over are console-only, so none of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The console games are also naturally more srpg heavy since they were released on console first, though they still have a ton of dialogue.

They're pretty simple SRPGs where the gimmick is that they have timed hits like mario RPG or something.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Endorph posted:

i guess berseria did better in the longterm, i was just looking at week-one sales

tales audiences do trend towards older women which seems like an audience less likely to buy day one?

Women playing JRPG's other than FF/KH, what is this madness?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

mallamp posted:

My friend have you heard the good word about Atelier?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mallamp posted:

persona is popular with women, fire emblem is popular with women, atelier is aimed exclusively at women...

women don't seem into dragon quest that much, that's about it, otherwise jrpgs are one of the most popular genres with women

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dragon Quest is for salarymen and that's why they release it on Saturday so everybody doesn't skip work to get it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
No way is atelier entirely aimed at women.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

No way is atelier entirely aimed at women.
it's entirely aimed at women.

the arland games tried to appeal more to dudes but the backlash was such that the dusk games went back to how they always were. the iris games and mana khemia brought in more emphasis on the combat and male protagonists, but they dropped those elements too. they kept some of the combat ideas but dropped the emphasis on it.

the first atelier game, atelier marie, came out only a few years after Koei's Angelique, the first otome game (game where a female protagonist can romance several male characters). It was clearly inspired by it, since it has some similar gameplay conceits combined with a crafting system and very basic combat.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 28, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also this is entirely anecdotal but most jp game stores have a specific shelf of 'games for women' and in one of the stores i went to atelier shallie was on that shelf

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How the hell are the arland games aines at dudes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

How the hell are the arland games aines at dudes
swimsuit contests, them deciding that rorona in her late 20s would have been 'too old,' high impact sexual violence, that one cg in totori where you can see up rorona's skirt

they were still trying to keep the female audience but there are clear shifts to include things that'd appeal to otaku

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Endorph posted:

and also this is entirely anecdotal but most jp game stores have a specific shelf of 'games for women' and in one of the stores i went to atelier shallie was on that shelf

What sorts of games are usually on this shelf?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

What sorts of games are usually on this shelf?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also we have an Atelier spinoff franchise that is very very very clearly aimed at dudes. It is called Ar Tonelico.

Atelier absolutely isn't like unfriendly-to-guys and it doesn't completely do away with the swimsuit stuff (if just for DLC) but it's very much a case of 'we're not going all in on it" like,, well, again, Ar Tonelico.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
ironically, girls love ar tonelico.

also there was an atelier otome game but it wasn't very good from what I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah Ar Tonelico still had stuff in there for the fujo crowd. Like Targana in AT2.