Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Truga posted:

How do you define delicious though? Even some humans are weird and like poo poo that's way too sour or salty for me to even go near. There better be traits for what tastes aliens like and what aliens taste like. :v:
Something weird with their chemistry that the brain registers as delicious and overwrites the taste buds maybe. Besides, you can cook them differently enough to cater to different tastes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One thought occurd to me: Can you eat your main pops? Going omnivorous space bug might be fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Poil posted:

I wonder if Solitary and Communal wouldn't be better if they worked like Charismatic and Repugnant. But Communal would probably need to be at +0.5%. Or maybe they were given flat 5% because it's simpler and redundant to go further with it. :v:

Yeah, it would be fun to alter a race into being shortlived or something just to hurt them some more. Or remove their fast breeder trait at least. drat repugnant pests!

Communal and Solitary should work based on adjacent pops. +2%/-3% per pop.

For xenophobes, alien pops don't count for communal and count double for solitary unless enslaved. For any pops, robots and droids don't count for either and synths depend on policy.

Also introduce a variant called Highly Territorial that gives a bigger penalty, but only for pops of the same species.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my alien race only consumes boiled space-rice and hive-owl tendies.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Maybe the space bug angry messages where they state that after they destroy your empire they're going to feast on your delicious larvae will make more sense once banks is out.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Kitchner posted:

+ Added Sweden as playable nation

Hmmm... Need to work on a mod that changes the prethoryn to Aztecs.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kitchner posted:

+ Added Sweden Jan Mayen as playable nation

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

For xenophobes, alien pops don't count for communal and count double for solitary unless enslaved. For any pops, robots and droids don't count for either and synths depend on policy.
This would be cool because it gives you a playstyle with a reduced incentive to remove tile blockers, since your guys are actually super happy about being surrounded by giant carnivorous life forms instead of their friends or family. More importantly, a bunch of decadent solitary humans only happy when they're living on planets with a minimum 2:1 enslaved robot:utopian human ratio is basically Asimov's Spacers.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jazerus posted:

+ Added Sweden Jan Mayen the Culture as playable nation

:allears:

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

TheCIASentMe posted:

Hmmm... Need to work on a mod that changes the prethoryn to Aztecs.

Luckily, removing our ability to feel human is now a feature in 1.5

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Poil posted:

No fanatic neutral? :(

That would be ok.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I'd like to see a trait that's randomly handed out in a game that makes one race (not necessarily the PC) completely repulsive in all ways to another race (also not necessarily the PC). It should be a one way street though. That race just happens to embody everything that the other race finds disgusting and the other race refuses to deal with them in any way outside of genocide, or, in the case of pacifists, just ignoring them. The race with the trait wouldn't see the affected race any differently then it sees an unaffected race. Affected race get's a ground combat negative against them because of all the vomiting.

Conversely, a trait that makes a random race extremely attractive in all ways to another race. The affected race will refuse to go to war and will yield to all but the most extreme diplomatic requests.

Maybe it only shows up in one of ten games or something, but it'd be an interesting wrinkle. Also, this could affect minor races or fallen empires.

I couldn't see it as a bought trait, just one that's randomly applied when one race meets another. It'd be super weird if the ugly race also happened to be delicious, "We hate everything about them, but they're so flavorful!". Like having arachnophobia but thinking that deep fried spiders are the best snack ever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'd honestly really like it if there were more traits. Fiddling around with getting my new peeps exactly the way I want them is my fav in these games. Just more customizing in general would be way better; why are there only 3 galaxy shapes? Why can't I set a number of primitives? Why can't I play with zero other players? Why isn't it possible to have fixed maps/scenarios? Why can't I select starting tech/advanced starts for me, the player, so I can skip to certain parts? Why can't I start with a certain techs right away?

Mods can solve a lot of those complaints and I've used them, but some I don't think can be fixed with them.

Also, Combat is such a goddamn chore. Oh, hey, some new guys, better look at their ship if I can find one, then look up how to counter it and then hope I can make enough before they declare war. Then get some random feedback that's never explained and maybe I win, maybe not, because ship roles and all that poo poo is apparently what the wiki is for and not the in-game tutorial and whatnot. Maybe it's just coming from CK2 where combat is simply "slam bigger numbers into other thing and never, ever rely on Light Infantry" with only a few wrinkles but I feel like the current combat system is not only overly complex but terrible at giving feedback. Why can't I run a "test simulation" to see if my unit would beat the enemies? Why don't I have a list of their units? Why do I have to explore with scientists?

At that point we get to the lack of an espionage system and honestly, I get that they're doing a ton of great work now, which I'm really looking forward to and this is their first entry into 4X but cripes, a 4X without spying ain't no drat 4X at all in my opinion. There's the joy of stealing tech, ruining and enemies reputation, sabotaging them and killing their leaders missing there, as well as the ability to find out about the enemy, their plans or set-up.

Also genemodding is way too much effort. 2400 points just for changing preference and then adding a 2 point trait? Dang yo. Also not being able to change preferences except if you have a point hanging around is silly because it takes zero points to do it, so I have to keep my mainline species not quite pimped out so I can spew my kind around wildly. :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

check this out:

sa forums > games > Stellaris: Bites of Man

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

like as a meal

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anticheese posted:

I'm a horrible person for this, but I would love to be able to engineer a 'delicious' trait into captured pops. Also, to be able to add negative traits, even if I don't get gene points back for them.

:unsmigghh:

I was suggesting this in the Dev Diary thread in response to people suggesting such a trait (would increase food production from them being Livestock and perhaps Processing) and debating whether or not it'd a good idea since making your own species with it would be silly, unless you're role-playing or something. As an option for genetically engineering a captured species, though, it's both appropriate for evil empires and rather horrifying, in a good way. And it'd easily make it a "positive" trait, something people were debating, since you're getting a benefit from it.

On a broader topic, I'd like to see more traits/genetic engineering options in general as well. The Ascension Perk path for it seems like it'll be neat, but some more early-game options for it would be nice too.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Lexorin posted:

I'd like to see a trait that's randomly handed out in a game that makes one race (not necessarily the PC) completely repulsive in all ways to another race (also not necessarily the PC). It should be a one way street though. That race just happens to embody everything that the other race finds disgusting and the other race refuses to deal with them in any way outside of genocide, or, in the case of pacifists, just ignoring them. The race with the trait wouldn't see the affected race any differently then it sees an unaffected race. Affected race get's a ground combat negative against them because of all the vomiting.

Conversely, a trait that makes a random race extremely attractive in all ways to another race. The affected race will refuse to go to war and will yield to all but the most extreme diplomatic requests.

Maybe it only shows up in one of ten games or something, but it'd be an interesting wrinkle. Also, this could affect minor races or fallen empires.

I couldn't see it as a bought trait, just one that's randomly applied when one race meets another. It'd be super weird if the ugly race also happened to be delicious, "We hate everything about them, but they're so flavorful!". Like having arachnophobia but thinking that deep fried spiders are the best snack ever.

This is a weirdly specific terrible idea

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lexorin posted:

That's...really....

If you really, absolutely must have a racist species, try the VUX from Star Control 2. They're specifically repulsive to humans, and repulsed by humans, and the only exception in their species is seen as a weirdo. Have fun with his quest!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

oddium posted:

check this out:

sa forums > games > Stellaris: Bites of Man

This made me happy, I wanted to let you know.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Splicer posted:

GlyphGryph posted:

Also introduce a variant called Highly Territorial that gives a bigger penalty, but only for pops of the same species.

This would be cool because it gives you a playstyle with a reduced incentive to remove tile blockers, since your guys are actually super happy about being surrounded by giant carnivorous life forms instead of their friends or family. More importantly, a bunch of decadent solitary humans only happy when they're living on planets with a minimum 2:1 enslaved robot:utopian human ratio is basically Asimov's Spacers.

See, Wiz? The idea is popular! Make it so, and bring me one step closer to my precious Ur-quan with a Territorial trait!

Roland Jones posted:

I was suggesting this in the Dev Diary thread in response to people suggesting such a trait (would increase food production from them being Livestock and perhaps Processing) and debating whether or not it'd a good idea since making your own species with it would be silly, unless you're role-playing or something. As an option for genetically engineering a captured species, though, it's both appropriate for evil empires and rather horrifying, in a good way. And it'd easily make it a "positive" trait, something people were debating, since you're getting a benefit from it.

Hey, adding it to your own species basically gives you a free trait point, with the possible unimportant side effect of making any sentient-eating species see conquering you as THE priority target.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey, adding it to your own species basically gives you a free trait point, with the possible unimportant side effect of making any sentient-eating species see conquering you as THE priority target.

Well, as a positive trait (i.e. one that costs points) it doesn't make sense to add to your own species, and as-is you can't add negative traits so it'd have to be positive for the genetic engineering scenario. Also adding it to a slave species in your empire is pretty much a pure positive here (boosts their food production, literally the only thing Livestock slaves do), so even if you could add negative traits it wouldn't make sense as one when looking at the mechanics, even if thinking about it a species being tastier is an odd "advantage" for them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's weird you can't add negative traits tbh; especially if you could add in traits that would make your enslaved aliens more subservient and docile.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's weird you can't add negative traits tbh; especially if you could add in traits that would make your enslaved aliens more subservient and docile.

I always gene mod conformist to all my liberated aliens to help them better adjust to the correct views.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That's Conformist (at least if you have an ethos that makes your slaves more okay with being slaves) and it's a positive trait, so, it is something you can add. Negative traits would be interesting, but a lot of things that are arguably negative to the species (Conformist or the hypothetical "Tasty" trait to make them more effective as livestock) are good for the player/their empire mechanically, so they're positive. Adding actual negative traits to a species would mostly just be for RP or sadism purposes, unless it got you extra trait points for them as well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 28, 2017

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Maybe "tasty" could fall under the extra traits unlocked in the second level of the biological path mentioned in the ascension perk dev diary, what with how apparently popular the idea of inter-sapient cannibalism is among the Stellaris fanbase.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hiveminded posted:

Maybe "tasty" could fall under the extra traits unlocked in the second level of the biological path mentioned in the ascension perk dev diary, what with how apparently popular the idea of inter-sapient cannibalism is among the Stellaris fanbase.

Well, for extra food production Agrarian actually works well enough; Livestock slaves can only produce food anyway so that and Conformist are probably all you need on them.

That said, a trait that is specifically for modifying sapients into being better food is a delightfully evil option, so if that makes it in in some form as well I certainly wouldn't complain.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Add a government policy called "unethical gene tailoring" that allows the empire to add negative traits during gene modding.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sibling of TB posted:

Add a government policy called "unethical gene tailoring" that allows the empire to add negative traits during gene modding.
This, I'd love to be able to genmod slave races into being idiot brute workers.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Kitchner posted:

+ Added Sweden as playable nation

+ Added Denmark as primitives

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Theswarms posted:

+ Added Denmark as primitives

idk about this, stellaris isn't supposed to be a realistic simulation..

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm surprised we didn't see the 'Paradoxians' or some such as an official mod. Though I suppose the Blorg count.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Suggestion/request for the ship designer: when you change its weapons, components, etc., is there any way to show the difference between what you just did and the design prior to your changes? Like a green +x/red -x next to the numbers or something.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Well, as a positive trait (i.e. one that costs points) it doesn't make sense to add to your own species, and as-is you can't add negative traits so it'd have to be positive for the genetic engineering scenario. Also adding it to a slave species in your empire is pretty much a pure positive here (boosts their food production, literally the only thing Livestock slaves do), so even if you could add negative traits it wouldn't make sense as one when looking at the mechanics, even if thinking about it a species being tastier is an odd "advantage" for them.

You can pick negative traits to start with... Delicious is obviously something that should be inherent to your species. Also, it would obviously be a negative trait.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I don't see why it should be negative. People will eat you and take your power into themselves, therefore ensuring that you will live on forever.

I'm largely interested in if you can turn orbitals into a source of food for your entire empire at some point. You could quarantine all of your livestock there around a black hole or a worthless system and export it whenever it is possible to have shared food across your demesne.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GlyphGryph posted:

You can pick negative traits to start with... Delicious is obviously something that should be inherent to your species. Also, it would obviously be a negative trait.

This depends on whether you can be cannibals or not.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Could just have the traits the other way around?

Xeno Gourmet - Aliens are delicious and Cannibal - Meat's back on the menu

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Are afterburners worth it, at all? I just upgraded my corvettes with them, but its 'score' is actually lower now than it was before (cos I had to junk a small shield to pay the power bill.) Am I better off just sticking with the shield? Game seems to think so. Or is there some less tangible benefit to them that isn't reflected in that?

e; also, what's 'planet border extrusion'? Is it just the size of 'your' space around your planets, or is it the rate at which that changes, or something else?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My species will be delicous livestock, seeking out alien species to serve them :V

Give us a trait that lets our pops be happy if others eat them, or at least alright with it!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Blorg's List ad: Molluscoid seeking fellow sentient to remove, cook, and devour my spermatophoric gland. my ultimate erotic experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GlyphGryph posted:

My species will be delicous livestock, seeking out alien species to serve them :V

Give us a trait that lets our pops be happy if others eat them, or at least alright with it!
Space tapeworms.

• Locked thread