Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is Ex-Aid good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yes. It kinda suffers from an unfunny support cast and the secondary riders not getting much development yet/developing slower, but it's really solid so far. Every powerup looks great, solid wirework, more likeable characters than unlikeable ones and cool references to video games and Jetman that one time.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Mighty Brothers XX is the light and the way

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Xelkelvos posted:

Is Ex-Aid good?

If you like everyone being assholes to each other, then yeah, it's a real hoot. (For the record, yes, I like that.)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
check it out, they're finally making season 2 of firefly, this is the new crew

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

check it out, they're finally making season 2 of firefly, this is the new crew

already looks better

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Dat wolf

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Man the new Dekarangers got really weird.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
All right you fuckers, who knew that Super-1 was fully translated at this point? Were you gonna tell us?

Unless no one knew, in which case, yeah. XiG finished subbing Kamen rider super-1 and it's up on Nyaa.se.

They're taking a whack at the original Kamen rider series too.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I knew XIG had done the first half but I didn't know they'd already finished it!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

All right you fuckers, who knew that Super-1 was fully translated at this point? Were you gonna tell us?

Unless no one knew, in which case, yeah. XiG finished subbing Kamen rider super-1 and it's up on Nyaa.se.

They're taking a whack at the original Kamen rider series too.

So at this point the only Kamen Rider shows left that aren't completly subbed (granted, a lot of them are only through TV-Nihon though) are the original, Kamen Rider X (I think somebody's working on that currently as well), and Kamen Rider Skyrider. Someone/a group (not sure which) called Stone released decent subs for Black RX a while back as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 24, 2017

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Larryb posted:

So at this point the only Kamen Rider shows left that aren't completly subbed (granted, a lot of them are only through TV-Nihon though) are the origina, Kamen Rider X (I think somebody's working on that currently as well), and Kamen Rider Skyrider. Someone/a group (not sure which) called Stone released decent subs for Black RX a while back as well.

ozc-live is slowly doing rx as well

also if we don't count tvn as being complete, because we shouldn't, there's also still: 555, Hibiki, Ryuki, Den-O, Kiva (though this one will probably actually finish), Decade (who cares)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had only just discovered the Super-1 subs the other day, actually, but didn't know who did them or how good they were.

Fantastic to hear that they're good quality. Super-1 might have my favorite design of any Kamen Rider. And he fights a loving bar of soap cyborg.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

gently caress Whitey posted:

ozc-live is slowly doing rx as well

also if we don't count tvn as being complete, because we shouldn't, there's also still: 555, Hibiki, Ryuki, Den-O, Kiva (though this one will probably actually finish), Decade (who cares)

Yeah, but I'm using Stone's subs for RX, I'm just cleaning them up because they're a bit clunky. Once I finish Gaim, I'm gonna work on RX more regularly since I'll be out of newer Heisei shows in my backlog and Ex-Aid's BDs are quarterly like Drive and Ghost, so RX will be next in my backlog to do, and then maybe Amazon after that if the resub project I was informed of hasn't moved by then. Also, I'm doing Decade in March when the BDs release, but that's gonna be a mish-mash of sources that I'll try and create some manner of unified subs from.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

OZC posted:

Yeah, but I'm using Stone's subs for RX, I'm just cleaning them up because they're a bit clunky. Once I finish Gaim, I'm gonna work on RX more regularly since I'll be out of newer Heisei shows in my backlog and Ex-Aid's BDs are quarterly like Drive and Ghost, so RX will be next in my backlog to do, and then maybe Amazon after that if the resub project I was informed of hasn't moved by then. Also, I'm doing Decade in March when the BDs release, but that's gonna be a mish-mash of sources that I'll try and create some manner of unified subs from.

please dont do decade. please.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

you should probably go back in time and tell toei that

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
in happier news i finally have a dvd drive for my pc, which means that now i can rip my shout DVDs of zyuranger, dairanger, and kakuranger to stream to my roku via plex and never have to switch discs again

hail satan and his glorious technology, allowing me to add three more shows to my big playlist of spandex

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

If it makes you feel better, I'm doing Amazons Season 1 BDs next month. Otherwise, you'll have to hope for the yen to take a steep dive for me to change my mind about Decade.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

in happier news i finally have a dvd drive for my pc, which means that now i can rip my shout DVDs of zyuranger, dairanger, and kakuranger to stream to my roku via plex and never have to switch discs again

hail Dai Satan and his glorious technology, allowing me to add three more shows to my big playlist of spandex

Also, anyone know what full opening videos are subbed? I have Gaim's, ToQger's, Drive's and now Ex-Aid's in my computer, and with that I kind of wanted to watch all but I'm not sure which other ones are subbed competently.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

in happier news i finally have a dvd drive for my pc, which means that now i can rip my shout DVDs of zyuranger, dairanger, and kakuranger to stream to my roku via plex

Pssssssst
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/53696/shout-factory-tv

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Ah but I have Plex with many other seasons of Sentai on my hard drive and now I have them all in one place

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

OZC posted:

If it makes you feel better, I'm doing Amazons Season 1 BDs next month. Otherwise, you'll have to hope for the yen to take a steep dive for me to change my mind about Decade.

Please do Skyrider. We need skyrider subs very badly.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I've been loving Zero so far, especially episode 3. Since Makai Senki, Zero has always had fun one-off stories. Don't know if I like the main plot starting up this soon though. Looking back, I've never liked any of the main arcs more than the side stories book-ending them.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The plot's starting up this soon because this show is going to be just half a regular season.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Please do Skyrider. We need skyrider subs very badly.

That'll have to be left to someone who can actually translate. Encoding BDs and tidying up existing subs as needed, I can do. Translation, not so much.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Did sub vent finally call it quits then or is ryuki in the "eventually going to be finished" pile

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

EDIT: Just morphing sequence actually, has Power Rangers ever done a Roll Call really well? At least they tried with "MEGAFORCE (COLOR), READY!" but that's still pretty weak compared to Sentai calls.

Yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OKf91HcG_c

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is appropiate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJcaYq3Hj6g

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Hey Burikon, and other people who watch older Toku, especially rider stuff, I have a question more involving the concepts around the series.

I've noticed recently there's a whole lot of fascism-apologia in Japanese Manga and Anime coming out lately. Stuff like Attack on Titan or GATE are kind of these openly fascist shows about how the military is the ultimate power and you should always obey your commander no matter what and the military will save you if only people would get out of it's way. I don't particularly want to start an argument or discussion, but what confuses me about this is that Kamen Rider seems to always present the exact opposite message. Shocker was openly Nazis and Nazi-styled while Ichigo and Niigou were punching them in the face, enemies have been things like Starfish-Hitler or whatever. Kamen Rider has never seemed to even pretend the kind of Fascistic Great Man policy stuff is what's right or fair; as much as we rag on Ghost, for instance, the Authoritarian police state that was the Ganma world was never presented as a paradise or something that could have been good if only some fools hadn't messed it up, the individuality of humans is, at the least, brought up repeatedly as being something that should be celebrated even if it's poorly executed, and even the best of the Ganma eventually either forego this Authoritarian Ideal or shown to simply be tragically misguided in a way that redemption can only come from death, while those who harshly stick to the belief are shown to callously not care about the death of their underlings.

What makes Kamen Rider always present something that it seems that other styles of Japanese Entertainment are uncaring about?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Hey Burikon, and other people who watch older Toku, especially rider stuff, I have a question more involving the concepts around the series.

I've noticed recently there's a whole lot of fascism-apologia in Japanese Manga and Anime coming out lately. Stuff like Attack on Titan or GATE are kind of these openly fascist shows about how the military is the ultimate power and you should always obey your commander no matter what and the military will save you if only people would get out of it's way. I don't particularly want to start an argument or discussion, but what confuses me about this is that Kamen Rider seems to always present the exact opposite message. Shocker was openly Nazis and Nazi-styled while Ichigo and Niigou were punching them in the face, enemies have been things like Starfish-Hitler or whatever. Kamen Rider has never seemed to even pretend the kind of Fascistic Great Man policy stuff is what's right or fair; as much as we rag on Ghost, for instance, the Authoritarian police state that was the Ganma world was never presented as a paradise or something that could have been good if only some fools hadn't messed it up, the individuality of humans is, at the least, brought up repeatedly as being something that should be celebrated even if it's poorly executed, and even the best of the Ganma eventually either forego this Authoritarian Ideal or shown to simply be tragically misguided in a way that redemption can only come from death, while those who harshly stick to the belief are shown to callously not care about the death of their underlings.

What makes Kamen Rider always present something that it seems that other styles of Japanese Entertainment are uncaring about?

Ishinomori's living through the war, would be my first guess.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think the spike in nationalism we're seeing in Japan is mostly just reflective of the spikes in nationalism we're seeing in like every other developed nation right now. World's going to poo poo, dawg.

Kamen Rider remains staunchly anti-fascist probably out of respect for Ichinomori's original vision or something?

Anyway, it's not like all anime has a giant boner for militaristic nationalism. I agree that there's a trend of like "nationalistic subgenre" anime right now (Attack on Titan, GATE, Terraformars, Qualidea Code, probably some others), but it's by no means the majority of the contemporary material.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The AoT thread hates it when you talk about fascism or the author's possible views in the thread despite the fact that the Marley-Eldia reveal makes it obvious that, in broad strokes, the Walled City appears by all rights to be the author's take on post-war Japan on the verge of remilitarization. And to even bring that much up will inspire pages and pages of handwringing, nitpicking, and complaining, even though, or precisely because, it's the elephant in the room.

But honestly? Anime and manga have had a long history of Imperial Japan apologia. It's not a recent thing, it's just something that's become more obvious to Western fans now that they know what to look for and since China's increased aggression has naturally caused a good deal of pushback against Japan's post-war pacifism among the population. Hell, even as far back as the 90's, you had shows like Martian Successor Nadesico being explicitly written as a rejection of the right wing lionization common in older anime (which was represented by the Jovians in that show who were revealed to be, essentially, a bunch of stereotypical Japanese Right-Wingers who happened to be from Jupiter and who were obsessed with super robot shows.)

And I'm glad Kamen Rider is one of those more venerable franchises that has managed to steadfastly defy that. Even Gundam, a franchise founded by a lovably angry, staunch anti-war nutcase (and I mean that in only the most affectionate way), is riddled with Zeon apologia because Zeon is so blatantly an Imperial Japan allegory that denying, nitpicking, or handwringing about it isn't even on the table.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 28, 2017

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's kind of built into the foundation. Kamen Rider's core elements can be described as

1) An alienated weirdo who stands (kind of) alone
2) Using the enemy's power against it
3) Few VS Many

Even Riders that have a degree of social authority like G3 and Drive (as literal police) are treated as outsiders. I think a lot of what reads as a Japanese lean towards fascism is sort of rooted in the culture's social dynamics (Do what's best for the group, don't question the hierarchy) that you can see represented less ominously in stuff like Patlabor or sports series. But Rider is different (which is probably part of why it's uniquely popular) in that you often have someone who is an outisder, who is fighting an "evil organization" that is, in terms of scale, much greater than he is.

Basically, Kamen Rider is an underdog who cherishes individuality. Kinda hard to twist that into a "might makes right, do what the boss says or else" type character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ex aid and drive are part of big organizations, but their immediate superiors are harmless goofballs who don't exert any authority. i never really thought much of it, but it is likely deliberate.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

As has been mentioned, it's a very complicated thing, but Kamen Rider being staunchly anti-Facist makes total sense.

Ishinomori went through WWII and had a first hand experience of a military that was very pointedly not working for the people's well being and general safety. A military power that subverted even the will of the man they were supposed to be following.

That context is what informed a lot of 60s and 70s media, see Doctor Who and its Daleks or going back to one of the earliest responses to WWII and WWI and the toxic atmosphere it inspired, just look at the Lord of the Rings.

Frankly, the reason I suspect there is a swing towards more fascistic or militaristic, which aren't entirely the same thing, is just how much time has passed. The people working on these narratives do not have first hand, or even second hand, experience with those kinds of powers and how they actually work in the real world. So that mindset gets romanticized as the real dangers of it are forgotten.

Kamen Rider is rooted in Ishinomori's beliefs and ideals because they were his creations, and they do try to respect that legacy. They don't always succeed, but you know.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ex aid and drive are part of big organizations, but their immediate superiors are harmless goofballs who don't exert any authority. i never really thought much of it, but it is likely deliberate.

Also they are themselves outsiders in the larger organization. Emu by being an intern and the low man on the totem pole as well as being attached to the CRC, and Shinnosuke is the slacker in a department for fighting crimes real cops don't necessarily believe in, staffed by the outcasts who it's implied couldn't hack it elsewhere

The department's eventual triumph and validation leading to everyone being successful is just that underdog story writ large

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Kamen Rider has a motorcycle. Everyone knows motorcycles = freedom.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know any deep history about Kamen Rider, but would have assumed that a little of it also has to be attributed to Godzilla being a strong message for the other side. For a while, the big themes of Godzilla movies were things like "the Japanese military is always quick to respond" and "even if the military falls, a brilliant Japanese scientist devises a solution".

At some point, you want to see a guy fight monsters without the politics.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

But Kamen Rider does contain politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know any deep history about Kamen Rider, but would have assumed that a little of it also has to be attributed to Godzilla being a strong message for the other side. For a while, the big themes of Godzilla movies were things like "the Japanese military is always quick to respond" and "even if the military falls, a brilliant Japanese scientist devises a solution".

Godzilla is a very different kind of thing. The movies that actually touch on the subject are few and far between, but the ones that do tend to tackle it in a very interesting, and incredibly complex way.

I don't think a single one of them is fascist, nor could they be. The general message is never that military might saves the day- quite the opposite.

You could likely write a book on the original Gojira and its messages and themes and how it related to the Japanese psyche of the time. A good chunk of it could even be dedicated to the Americanization, King of the Monsters, and how it smartly turned a few points to a more general view.

Return of Godzilla is, in particular, against the idea of winning through force. Every single super weapon used against Godzilla goes south or makes everything worse, and only by using Godzilla's nature are they able to put him away- not kill him, but imprison him, using nature itself to take care of its own.

GMK is hilariously against what the likes of GATE seem to be building up- there Godzilla is driven by the spirits of the undead, those soldiers killed in WWII by Japanese soldiers. Why are they acting up? Because Japan has been kind of a prick about accepting responsibility for what they did during the war and the soldiers are pissed off. It's an honestly pretty brave move to include in a giant dinosaur fight movie, and while Godzilla is presented as pure evil, the reasons why the spirits are vengeful are given weight.

I will say, having only seen the first anime for Attack on Titan, I don't know if I'd call it an inherently fascist show like GATE really, really appears to be. The military seems to be shady as Hell and the powers that be appear to be the root of the problem, not the ones who are right. It glorifies the soldiers that fight the Titans, but that's not the same thing- and Erin has a lot of chances to break away from the established order due to how he works.

Though maybe poo poo goes down later on that I'm not privy to, I haven't been reading the manga.

• Locked thread