Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

straight up brolic posted:

Gordong Bombay is the most handsome NBA player ever -- white man division

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/hungarianjordan/status/825166351610343425

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So Alpha

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
buckets is not happy

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Kay Felder rules and I love him and I hope he chaos dunks on Kyle Singler this Sunday

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
More confirmation that college bball sucks and college coaches need a system where they exert all power and dominance over their players or they're helpless duds who play clips of Nineteen Candles or whatever the fuc :twisted:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/825179610564423680

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

-23 also. Not much effort from Wade either. Just tired of their whole act.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/825161000869523456

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

-23 also. Not much effort from Wade either. Just tired of their whole act.

I too am tired of Jimmy Butler's act of being extremely good at basketball and then playing poorly in one game

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
I wanted to say that the Melo saga is all Joe Dumars fault. If he was drafted by the Pistons like he should have been the resulting butterfly effect would have altered the NBA landscape.

Imagine a world where Melo learns how to play defense and unselfish basketball on the Pistons. It could have happened!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I too am tired of Jimmy Butler's act of being extremely good at basketball and then playing poorly in one game

3 straight years of chaos in the locker room with him at the center of it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

imagine a world where melo washes out of the league because larry brown sits him for some larry brown reason and he never breaks into the lineup ahead of tayshaun and turns into a fatter, more hair having corliss williamson

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Also Darko Milicic plays more in his rookie year, masters the hookshot, becomes a multiple time all star

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

I don't even know what chaos he was responsible for in 2014-15, but the Rose-Butler stuff always seemed overblown (they just weren't a good fit playing next to each other, and also Rose sucked).

The only other thing he's done is expressed frustration with his lovely coach and lovely teammates, so I'd prefer to see if he was not occasionally publicly grumpy with a competent supporting cast

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Led the by fearsome trio of goran dragic, dion waiters, and willie reed the heat are on a 6 game win streak.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I don't even know what chaos he was responsible for in 2014-15, but the Rose-Butler stuff always seemed overblown (they just weren't a good fit playing next to each other, and also Rose sucked).

The only other thing he's done is expressed frustration with his lovely coach and lovely teammates , so I'd prefer to see if he was not occasionally publicly grumpy with a competent supporting cast

Thibs wasn't a lovely coach. Noah and Rose aren't lovely teammates (play had fallen off but they were always good teammates). Jimmy got what he wanted so time for him to stop bitching about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Just FYI, you posted similar things about wanting Thibs gone and hiring Hoiberg too. Careful with that Monkey Paw.

Come rejoin Thibs in Minnesota Jimmy. We'll give up Kris Dunn, Minnesota's unprotected 1st this year and whoever you want off the bench.

edit: We might not be able to give up the 1st without some monkeying, but we'll figure it out.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Listen Jimmy, we gave you the keys to the show, we hired Basketball Genius Fred Hoiberg, we gave you a supporting cast of Nikola Mirotic, Doug McDermit, Connect Four Homophobe and Dwyane Wade's Decaying Corpse....I dunno what else you want but you gotta suck it up now

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Thibs may or may not be a lovely coach tbh

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Wow. Wade pulling down Dion at the end there made me feel what Wade haters have been feeling for the past decade and a half. gently caress Wade.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Minnesota is really young and they got off to a real bad start that shouldn't have been very surprising. They are playing closer to .500 ball lately which is an accomplishment given the roster.

Thibs made some magic happen with his rosters and injury management in Chicago. His postseason success is a legit gripe, but I think that comes down to circumstance more than skill in coaching.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Listen Jimmy, we gave you the keys to the show, we hired Basketball Genius Fred Hoiberg, we gave you a supporting cast of Nikola Mirotic, Doug McDermit, Connect Four Homophobe and Dwyane Wade's Decaying Corpse....I dunno what else you want but you gotta suck it up now

Undermining your coach constantly and throwing your teammates under the bus is a bitch move. I don't give a poo poo how good he is.

He also wanted Thibs fired and recruited both Wade and Rondo heavily. Those were the guys he wanted to play with.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
If you didn't watch Sixers-Rockets tonight on ESPN, you missed James Harden scoring loving 51 points, 13 rebounds, and 13 assists. Can't stop the MVP

Embiid looked like a beast putting up 32, 7, and 4 but Harden is so unbelievable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

He also wanted Thibs fired and recruited both Wade and Rondo heavily. Those were the guys he wanted to play with.

That seems reasonable since Butler has spent two years saying how much he loves Thibs, they were glued together during the Olympics, and Thibs tried to make a huge draft day trade to get Butler in Minnesota.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Me, all year long: This lovely team sucks rear end and I hate them
Jimmy Butler: Yeah the other guys on this team need to do better
Me: Hey gently caress you buddy

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He runs a complicated defense that is going to take awhile for some 21 year olds to master. Took half a season in Chicago for Bulls to really get it and that was with a bunch of veterans. He doesn't have the luxury of slotting in guys like Bogans and Kurt Thomas like he did in Chicago that could help get that ball rolling. Every time I watch the Wolves it's guys not knowing where they are supposed to be going in his defense (Lavine is the worst).

The biggest gripe for Thibs in my opinion is the minutes. I know other don't agree but I think it puts your team at a disadvantage when you go into the playoffs with guys who have more wear on their bodies than the other teams.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

fair enough. I think he did good things in Chicago, I just really hate whatever the "offense" that the Timberwolves are running. Their players are too good to be this bad.

e: lmao i had some bad takes, but in general my draft thread posts hold up really well

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

fair enough. I think he did good things in Chicago, I just really hate whatever the "offense" that the Timberwolves are running. Their players are too good to be this bad.

e: lmao i had some bad takes, but in general my draft thread posts hold up really well

TWolves offense is pretty good, 11th in the league in ORTG. For a team without a single good scorer off the bench (sometimes Shabazz?) that's a solid ranking. Everyone assumed their D would be good, and it's been getting better, but that is their problem. If they had a league average D they'd be in the playoffs right now.

Nirwad is right, they are taking a long time getting it down (and LaVine is loving awful at that end). Both KAT and Wiggins are taking a lot longer than I thought to figure poo poo out too. Dieng, Ricky and Dunn all seem to have it figured out though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

That seems reasonable since Butler has spent two years saying how much he loves Thibs, they were glued together during the Olympics, and Thibs tried to make a huge draft day trade to get Butler in Minnesota.

Publicly sure. But Jimmy like he did with Rose and Noah stabbed Thibs in the back. And it wasn't until like two December's ago that he realized what he aided in. Around the time he went off on Hoiberg for not coaching them hard enough.

I don't think Jimmy should be traded, Tear out the front office and really build a team to suit him and find a good coach. but considering the Reinsdorfs aren't going to do what needs to be done and shitcan the front office and coach, trading Jimmy is the only way to get a team that might suit whatever bullshit offense Fred wants to run. Then you roll the dice and may even get a player as good as Butler :suicide:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This is the first y ear I'm actually taking draft stances and I know it'll haunt me.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I agree that they're good, but when I watch them they don't like play good offense. Karl-Tony Towns, Ricky Rubio, Zach Lavine, and Andrew Wiggins should be an automatic top-ten offense. Denver, with worse offensive players, is number 8. I'm pretty sure Sam Mitchell coached them to like the 12th best ORTG. I don't see how Thibs has improved them on that end at all.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Congrats to the Raptors for finally winning another game again

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Jimmy says a lot of things. I'm just going by what people who report on the team have said. Jimmy was supposedly one of the players that ripped Thibodeau on the way out and was ready to move on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I agree that they're good, but when I watch them they don't like play good offense. Karl-Tony Towns, Ricky Rubio, Zach Lavine, and Andrew Wiggins should be an automatic top-ten offense. Denver, with worse offensive players, is number 8. I'm pretty sure Sam Mitchell coached them to like the 12th best ORTG. I don't see how Thibs has improved them on that end at all.

They don't have enough good 3-point shooters to be a top-10 offense. The fact they are 13th while being 29th in 3-point makes is kind of impressive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They are about 2.5 pts/100pos better though that bumps you from 12th to 11th. On D they are the same but they increased from 28th to 23rd. I think as the year goes on teams tend to score less per 100, so the halfway mark may just look inflated on both sides and the rankings are true.

In any case, I don't think you bring in Thibs to make their offense better. I think you want him to keep their offense about the same while getting them to play better D. And I think they are, especially the 2nd quarter of this season. I also think Sam Mitchell did a really good job with the team last year. I just don't know why our bench is so putrid year after year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Anyway I'm like 70% sure that Gar is fired this off season and then Matt Llyod is brought in from Orlando

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

another thing that I don't get is why, when they have quick young guys like Wiggins and Lavine and an excellent rebounder in Towns, they don't run more. Their pace is 24th, which is partially due to having a lovely defense I'm sure, but they could definitely play with a bit more tempo and get easy baskets. I really don't like putting a young team with high flying players in the half court all the time

It seems like he's trying to fit the personnel to a system, rather than his system to the personnel. That's bad coaching.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

When your defense is trash it's hard to run no?

Edit:skimmed and didn't see you mention that my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://twitter.com/BarstoolSSOTD/status/825098718621921288

• Locked thread