Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I can't even tell what the combo actually is here. Repeated triggers of Door?
The deck is the combo. And the sideboard. Its a 75 card combo.

Can we please see this on SCG with Sully/Cedric/Matthias doing commentary. Who am I kidding SCG never streams legacy anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
FNM Report: Bounced back to go 3-1 with RG Titan Breach :toot: Shout-out to Sigma-X for some last-minute SB suggestions. Details below-

Round 1: Jund. Game 1 I keep a really iffy mull to 6 but I get lucky because he either had a bad draw as well or just didn't know what he was doing. Breach -> Titan bails me out and I kill him while staring down lethal. SB: +2 Baloth, -2 Trap. Game 2 I have a couple of ramp spells in my opener and Bolts when I need them. Pact -> Titan -> win. 1-0 (2-0)

Round 2: Ad Nauseum. This guy is my nemesis, no matter the matchup :argh: Both games I have a pretty good opening hand but his is better. SB: +2 Baloth, +2 Chalice, -2 Bolt, -2 Courser. Game 2 I tried to get cute going Pact -> Breach -> Titan on his turn after he goes off and Storms with 0 life and 0 mana available (being kept alive by Phyrexian Unlife) but no dice. 1-1 (2-2)

Round 3: UWR Control/Delver. Game 1 he sticks and flips a Delver which knocks me around for a while but I get triple Valakut into play off of Titan (which he Paths out of sequence) and you can't counter land drops. I got to play a free Summoning Trap this game which had me excited...but then he had a counter for that one too. SB +2 Baloth, +1 Trap, -2 Explore, -1 Pact. Game 2 he Molten Rains one of my two green sources to stall me out for a while, then Clique's me to see Titan-Pact-2x Trap :haw: He bottoms the Titan which I get right back and burn him out with Valakut. Again he Paths the Titan after I already get the Valakuts in play off its ETB, I don't remember if he was tapped out initially or just didn't know the proper sequencing. 2-1 (4-2)

Round 4: Jund (different guy). He is not happy to see me, apparently this is a terrible matchup for Jund? Game 1 he's thinking I have turn 3 Breach but I'm short on mana so he gets excited. Breach goes off on turn 5...with Emrakul :getin: Drops him to 2 life and an empty board and I clean up a couple turns later. SB: +2 Baloth, -2 Explore. Game 2 he fares better but I Breach -> Titan and get all four Valakuts into play together and fry him. I felt kind of bad but I suppose matchups are part of the format. 3-1 (6-2)

Other decks seen: U Tron, Infect. Didn't really putz around between matches this time.

I might consider moving one or both Baloths mainboard if I keep bringing them in all the time, probably for 1-2 Courser and 0-1 Bolt. I'm kind of lukewarm on Courser, though in one game it let me know that the win was on top of my deck when I also had the option to shuffle.

Also, any advice for Ad Nauseum? Feels like the only way I can win is Breach -> Emrakul on turn 3 or 4 to reset their board. I brought in the Chalices thinking I would play them on 0 to stop Bloom and Pact but didn't draw them (and I actually owe one of the Chalices to someone in a pending trade :(). I also brought in the Baloths hoping to soften them up first and need less Valakut/Titan damage to win.

Overall I'm still enjoying the deck quite a bit. Still not 100% on the sideboard since we get a lot of different people from week to week, and a lot of them have multiple decks available. Definitely going to change the Naturalizes to Reclamation Sages, maybe the Ancient Grudge too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
RG decks are generally soft to combo since you can't interact with the stack. Your best bet is probably just going to be hoping you can goldfish faster than them (and that they don't have pact in hand).

Against Scapeshit specifically, enchantment removal to get rid of Phyrexian Unlife and maybe Sudden Shocks could be useful? You should probably already have Sudden Shocks in the sideboard to deal with Infect, and it means if you ever make them pop Angel's Grace you can kill them through a Pact in response. Sorry if these aren't great answers, but I'm not convinced there are any for RG.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Good luck killing someone in response to an Angel's Grace.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

https://clips.twitch.tv/tmdbrassman/DullMonkeySuperVinlin

MTGO is a quality program.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

and in the P9 challenge too

Rich Shay is in the finals of that event with some Walking Balista/Hangarback Walker shops nonsense. wizards please restrict these oppressive artifacts so i can gush in peace

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Rich Shay is in the finals of that event with some Walking Balista/Hangarback Walker shops nonsense. wizards please restrict these oppressive artifacts so i can gush in peace

That was in a fun game he was playing after the challenge; Brassman was playing ballista/animation module shops in the P9 and lost in the first round of top 8.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

ballista/animation module

:eyepop:

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah ravager + animation module is 1: put a +1/+1 counter on ravager which is pretty nuts. You then shunt that onto a ballista...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

No Walking Allowed

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

so the games I watched of Rich's today showcased how fuckin bonkers foundry inspector is in that strategy. He didn't have the module but he could accelerate and play a more traditional shops game, in addition to the ravager/hangarback/counters game

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Any thoughts on the Modern Meta now that Fatal push is in and bans are here?

I took Bogles to a GPT and managed to squeak in a top 8 (By asking my opponent on 8-rack if they wanted to draw into top 8, because that was a match I was not going to win) and I then lost in top 8 to a teammate on Ad Nauseum.

turns out main deck suppression field is still good.

The local meta was half affinity, a quarter jund, and then a pile of outlier decks including modern Jeskai Cats. I'm going to GP Vancouver so I'm expecting a lot of Jund, Junk, and Grixis, and then a lot of Tron to counter those. Probably a fair amount of affinity to try and get in under those two archetypes

Currently trying to decide on what deck to play for the new weeks leading up to GP Van, and what to play at GP Van.

I currently have:

- Bogles (I have quite a few reps with this deck, and I love running main deck suppression fields. Has trouble against Lily)

- U/W or Bant spirits (Probably the most fun deck to play. I'd probably convert to Bant for fun)

- Infect (Still a great deck even without probe)

- Mon G Beats and Bear/Delver/Ninja (I'm not going to play these)

Any advice?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Bogles seems pretty well positioned, do you run dryad arbors to counter Lili -2?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Molybdenum posted:

Bogles seems pretty well positioned, do you run dryad arbors to counter Lili -2?

Just one. And the aforementioned Suppression Fields.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Seems good, the only bummer about the deck is drawing all bogles and no enchantments or vice versa.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Molybdenum posted:

Seems good, the only bummer about the deck is drawing all bogles and no enchantments or vice versa.

A position I have been in too many times.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Any thoughts on the Modern Meta now that Fatal push is in and bans are here?

I took Bogles to a GPT and managed to squeak in a top 8 (By asking my opponent on 8-rack if they wanted to draw into top 8, because that was a match I was not going to win) and I then lost in top 8 to a teammate on Ad Nauseum.

turns out main deck suppression field is still good.

The local meta was half affinity, a quarter jund, and then a pile of outlier decks including modern Jeskai Cats. I'm going to GP Vancouver so I'm expecting a lot of Jund, Junk, and Grixis, and then a lot of Tron to counter those. Probably a fair amount of affinity to try and get in under those two archetypes

Currently trying to decide on what deck to play for the new weeks leading up to GP Van, and what to play at GP Van.

I currently have:

- Bogles (I have quite a few reps with this deck, and I love running main deck suppression fields. Has trouble against Lily)

- U/W or Bant spirits (Probably the most fun deck to play. I'd probably convert to Bant for fun)

- Infect (Still a great deck even without probe)

- Mon G Beats and Bear/Delver/Ninja (I'm not going to play these)

Any advice?

I saw a Grixis Delver/Control-y deck last FNM that lost a squeaker to Jund, it was using Push to great effect. But I was playing Titan so I didn't see any.

Suppression Field is sweet and I wish I had a deck where it was worth the drawback to yourself :( I have an Enchantress Deck where it would probably be good but it's not worth slowing down my own Arbor Elves and Luminarch Ascension.

Play the deck that you feel most comfortable with! Remember that a GP is a long event and you're going to be bored and/or tired by the end, so play something that's fun and feels natural to you. I'd also be interested in hearing if there have been any new developments on the Spirits front lately, I still kind of want to build the UW version.

Also, are there any goons out there still running Mardu Tokens builds? Was going through my decklist hoard and realized that I'm really close to being able to build some version of it. I got one that's less token-y and more goodstuff and one that's more token-y.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 2, 2017

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Archenteron posted:

Someone turned the Breakfast Burrito into some sort of dadaist art piece making it 10x more moving parts and inefficient while having the dubious upside of letting it work in multiplayer(????)

:allbuttons:

Jesus christ. This is all of my favourite things. It reminds me of the deck I played in Tribal Apocalypse that was engineered specifically to unlock achievements, which had bounties of a few tix each in that tournament. I wound up winning more from achievements than whoever came in first place each week.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I saw a Grixis Delver/Control-y deck last FNM that lost a squeaker to Jund, it was using Push to great effect. But I was playing Titan so I didn't see any.

Suppression Field is sweet and I wish I had a deck where it was worth the drawback to yourself :( I have an Enchantress Deck where it would probably be good but it's not worth slowing down my own Arbor Elves and Luminarch Ascension.

Play the deck that you feel most comfortable with! Remember that a GP is a long event and you're going to be bored and/or tired by the end, so play something that's fun and feels natural to you. I'd also be interested in hearing if there have been any new developments on the Spirits front lately, I still kind of want to build the UW version.

I brought Bogles to GP van two years ago and went 5-4. I think it's slightly better positioned right now? I'm expecting, jund and junk and grixis. With people meta-ing tron to counter that. And assumedly people going affinity to counter tron.

Bogles and spirits are both not great against tron.

New spirits tech is bant instead of U/W which means gavony township and green lands instead of utility lands. 1x steel of the godhead seems like the max (if that).

Bogles seems great against push decks, especially if people are running a split on Lily of the veil vs last hope. Bant spirits has Kira, wanderer, lords, queller, and rattlechains.

I'll probably just build both and see what I can do.

Is maelstrom pulse still popular in G/x lists?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

I brought Bogles to GP van two years ago and went 5-4. I think it's slightly better positioned right now? I'm expecting, jund and junk and grixis. With people meta-ing tron to counter that. And assumedly people going affinity to counter tron.

Bogles and spirits are both not great against tron.

New spirits tech is bant instead of U/W which means gavony township and green lands instead of utility lands. 1x steel of the godhead seems like the max (if that).

Bogles seems great against push decks, especially if people are running a split on Lily of the veil vs last hope. Bant spirits has Kira, wanderer, lords, queller, and rattlechains.

I'll probably just build both and see what I can do.

Is maelstrom pulse still popular in G/x lists?

Any Liliana split is 3/1, if they play last hope at all. I think Spirits has a lot more game against tron than bogles just because it can play at instant speed so you can hold up your Companies and flash guys if you predict an Ugin or queller an o-stone. Don't know what the affinity matchup feels like though. Tron and ad naus seem popular right now and GBx decks are very high in percentage, and most do run a single maelstrom pulse.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I just placed an order for the Japanese cards I needed and ordered my Italian Tabernacle from eBay. :getin:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

I just placed an order for the Japanese cards I needed and ordered my Italian Tabernacle from eBay. :getin:

i'd offer my condolences but I just sent a bunch of money to someone on the internet for an ancestral recall :negative:

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 2, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Any Liliana split is 3/1, if they play last hope at all. I think Spirits has a lot more game against tron than bogles just because it can play at instant speed so you can hold up your Companies and flash guys if you predict an Ugin or queller an o-stone. Don't know what the affinity matchup feels like though. Tron and ad naus seem popular right now and GBx decks are very high in percentage, and most do run a single maelstrom pulse.

Yeah but Suppression Field in the main against Tron is the best feeling. Buys you the extra 1-2 turns to win. They need a natural Tron to get you.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah but Suppression Field in the main against Tron is the best feeling. Buys you the extra 1-2 turns to win. They need a natural Tron to get you.

Suppression field might be my favorite card in modern. It's just so hateful.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

opponents not cracking their fetch in response to you playing yours on turn 2 is the best feeling in the world

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
How do you guys feel about Root Maze? I keep wanting to make a Root Maze based deck with Chancellor of the Tangle, Wall of Roots, Garruk Wildspeaker, and Plow Under. Ideally I would open with Chancellor mana into Wall of Roots into Maze. I know this isn't the brewing thread but I feel like Root Maze should be played more.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what does the rest of the deck look like? it depends on how you're gaining advantage of the root maze effect. having dorks i.e. mana sources not affected by root maze seems loose given we have a uniquely high amount of efficient removal running around the format now

maybe you play some kind of green aggro deck and then play root maze later, like how white weenie decks would geddon after getting a board

p.s. it's cool to post eternal brews in this thread because traditionally the brewhaus thread focuses on standard so you won't get much constructive feedback there

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I don't know why you'd want to Root Maze when you could just play an Eternal Witness (or Primal Command for an Eternal Witness bouncing another land), and then rinse repeat while watching your opponent die inside.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

They need a T3 tron, but even then they can't play Karn into an open board if you have suppression field. And to T4 Ugin you they need natural Tron plus double tower.

opponents not cracking their fetch in response to you playing yours on turn 2 is the best feeling in the world

That's what I'm all about.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I'm actually making money now and I think I'm gonna make the mistake of buying back into modern on modo. Anyone here run Martyr Proc? I loved that deck back when I was following modern a couple of years ago. Other than that, MTG Goldfish is pretty all over the place on what the good decks are. Is the meta currently actually varied or is it still just GBx, Tron, Burn, and occasionally some sort of UR deck or weird combo?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Things are pretty varied, the printing of fatal push and a wave of bannings just shook up the metagame. It's very, very roughly a rock-paper-scissors situation where fair decks (jund/junk and lots of different snapcaster mage decks) beat linear aggro (burn, affinity, infect and so on) which beats "big mana" (tron, which can be GW or GB instead of GR, various flavors of valakut, and bant eldrazi) which beats fair decks. Pure combo is on the uptick and threatening to disrupt things, with ad nauseum, goryo's vengeance and a supercharged cheeri0s (really) putting up results.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Yea the meta is pretty up in the air at the moment. Maybe check scg after the weekend to see what did well at regionals?

Martyr decks win out in leagues every now and then according to mrgo. I've never understood how that deck beats anything besides burn though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Converted spirits from U/W to bant and took it out for a spin today.. deck feels real good.

Bant Spirits

Creatures

4 Drogskol Captain
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Phantasmal Image
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
3 Geist of Saint Craft
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner

Lands

1 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
3 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
4 Flooded Strand
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Temple Garden
3 Windswept Heath

Spells

4 Collected Company
3 Path to Exile

Sideboard

2 Spellskite
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Path to Exile
2 Kataki
2 Meddling Mage
2 Hurkyll's Recall
2 Kor Firewalker

R1 vs Kiki-chord win 2-0

Both games my opponent mulligans into oblivion. G1 I don't think he gets above 2 land and a bird. G2 I keep path mana up but it never comes up because I'm just too fast.

R2 versus Jeskai and the pussycats (modern version) win 2-0

G1 mausoleum wanderer is a great card and spell quelled blocks the combo.

G2 my opponent cliques me and I spell quell it. Next turn he cliques again and I CoCo in response putting in double captain. Opponent bottoms a rattlechains, and I draw a mausoleum wanderer. This ruins my opponents plan of angering me and he scoops.

R3 vs bant eldrazi win 2-1

G1 I keep a 1 lander and play a T1 mausoleum wanderer over a T1 heirarch. My opponent paths the wanderer (gently caress yeah) so I hit a Geist of st traft. Opponent eventually drops a thought knot exiling a selfless spirit. I get to 3 land and a heirarch and play double phantasmal image both targeting heirarch. I attack with Geist for 9 and my opponent misplays by blocking with the he thought knot thinking they would trade, but whoops Geist is a 5/5.

G2 double temple into brush land and displacer is a bad time for me.

G3 T1 heirarch means I can hold up queller starting on T2. At end step I flash in a rattlechains and now I can play my whole deck during my opponents end step. This is real bad for my opponent.

R4 vs G/W tron. I was terrified going into this match because I assumed tron was one of my worst matchups. Win 2-0

G1 I win the die roll, which felt key. I counter every ramp spell and queller the O-stone that comes up and my opponent doesn't have natural tron, and can't find pieces, so I keep swinging in for damage.

G2. Thus is the sweetest feeling ever. My opponent plays tron pieces on T1 and 2. T2 I meddling made naming Karn. Opponent frowns and plays the T3 natural tron and passes. T3 I phantasmal image meddling mage naming Ugin. Opponent looks even more upset as I swung in. They brick on lands for a few turns as I swing in. Eventually they hit an extra tron piece and cast Ulamog, exiling both meddling mages. Unfortunately I get to untap and swing lethal.

Deck is cool and good and feels fun to play. I'm making sideboard adjustments still, but the deck feels strong and good and fun. A+

I also got 5 prize packs and got a walking ballista and a chalice from them.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 4, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

EvilBeard posted:

I don't know why you'd want to Root Maze when you could just play an Eternal Witness (or Primal Command for an Eternal Witness bouncing another land), and then rinse repeat while watching your opponent die inside.
This was my favorite thing about that nykthos genesis wave deck. Primal command is such a rage inducing card.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Oh drat I just looked on The Source and apparently Nic Fit's a legit deck now so I'm stoked. I was trying to do stuff with the pre-Khans block iterations & siege rhino way back when but money and time prevailed.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Moatman posted:

Nic Fit's a legit deck now

lol

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If I weren't on my phone I'd post my rediculous NIC fit storm deck. Turn 1 ruric thar is one of the funniest things you can do in legacy.

Edit:

Deck: Veteran Explorer Doomsday

//Main
4 Veteran Explorer
1 Wild Dogs
1 Elvish Spirit Guide
1 Tinder Wall
1 Broodmate Dragon
4 Summoner's Pact
4 Dark Ritual
2 Manamorphose
3 Culling the Weak
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Forest
1 Mountain
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Wooded Foothills
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Taiga
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Cruel Bargain
4 Cabal Therapy
2 Doomsday
3 Infernal Tutor
4 Burning Wish
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
4 Sensei's Divining Top

//Sideboard
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Natural Order
1 Hull Breach
1 Massacre
1 Thoughtseize
1 Dreadbore
1 Tremor
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Infernal Plunge
1 Infernal Tutor
1 Phyrexian Obliterator
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

Display deck statistics.

Think I need to add a crop rotation and cavern of souls.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 4, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

if you want a REAL good BUG deck, may I recommend casting Glint-nest Cranes for free off of Aluren?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

eSporks posted:

If I weren't on my phone I'd post my rediculous NIC fit storm deck. Turn 1 ruric thar is one of the funniest things you can do in legacy.

Edit:

Deck: Veteran Explorer Doomsday

This deck confuses me and fills me with a sense of dread. But I do love a good wishboard, I wish (:downsrim:) they were legal in Modern but they'd probably be too good, or at least make combo decks better than Wizards probably wants them to be.