Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Looks like the new Russian T10 will be able to stealth torp with a 2km buffer unboosted by conceal module or commander skills, and the torps have only slightly worse Time To React than Gearing torps. At least they're rather low damage torps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Yesterday was one of those nights, where I bombed my first three matches and knew I had to call it quits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

Looks like the new Russian T10 will be able to stealth torp with a 2km buffer unboosted by conceal module or commander skills, and the torps have only slightly worse Time To React than Gearing torps. At least they're rather low damage torps.

It's about time there was a good Russian tier X DD to challenge the supremacy of the Shimakaze, one can only hope the rest of the line will be equally good enough to get someone to play something other than IJN DDs

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

loving PUBBIES

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Thundercakes posted:

So I finally made someone lose their poo poo at me tonight and brag about their engineer girlfriend, $100k/yr job, 3 cars, and $40k in the bank. Dude got mad and tried to stat-shame me/brag about his (6200 battles and he's barely ahead of me in WTR while having 4500 games on me), when I trolled him about it then he brought out the big guns. Good times. He couldn't let me get the last word in about his girlfriend being Rosie Palm, so he sent me a message after the battle was over. It started because I asked the team to please push the next cap and he immediately went from 0-60. :shrug:

Wow. A whole $100k a year.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

It's about time there was a good Russian tier X DD to challenge the supremacy of the Shimakaze, one can only hope the rest of the line will be equally good enough to get someone to play something other than IJN DDs

Huh? You do know the Gearing is the most popular T10 DD right now, right? And the Fletcher is almost twice as popular as the Yugumo.

In fact, from T3 to T10 the US DDs are more popular than the IJN. Come on NTRabbit, at least make posts about opinions that aren't so easily debunked by a trip to Warships Today.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 27, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Pacra posted:

From Flagellum in Discord, datamined new russian DD stats:

The gun range on both the Pod and Okh loving suck. They aren't quite IJN DD bad, but yikes.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hazdoc posted:

Huh? You do know the Gearing is the most popular T10 DD right now, right? And the Fletcher is almost twice as popular as the Yugumo.

In fact, from T3 to T10 the US DDs are more popular than the IJN. Come on NTRabbit, at least make posts about opinions that aren't so easily debunked by a trip to Warships Today.

I thought he was being sarcastic lol.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, even if it was NTRabbit I assumed it was sarcasm. As you mentioned Gearing is currently the most popular, and Khabarovsk has by far the best stats in every category, with Shimakaze dead last everywhere.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Blindeye posted:

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, even if it was NTRabbit I assumed it was sarcasm.

:hfive:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Blindeye posted:

Sorry, its NTRabbit, I can't take any chances.

Speaking of bads, I just got this guy in a match.
https://na.warships.today/player/1000196771/Gus

Perhaps he should stick to the Hashidate....

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Sorry, its NTRabbit, I can't take any chances.

Speaking of bads, I just got this guy in a match.
https://na.warships.today/player/1000196771/Gus

Perhaps he should stick to the Hashidate....

That's impressive, he's not even just maintaining, he's getting noticeably worse.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Archenteron posted:

Havent touched this in like 6 months. Did WG ever unfuck the xp-for-killing-planes system or is grinding carriers still miserable (other than the usual misery of being a carrier)

CV's still suck to play as. This is not going to change anytime soon, if ever.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
As someone pretty new to this game, does anyone have a good 5 point summary on how to play US battleships and cruisers

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Thundercakes posted:

That's impressive, he's not even just maintaining, he's getting noticeably worse.

I'm not sure it's so much them getting worse, as it is their stats are incredibly padded by their utterly ludicrous 462 battles in the Hashidate - thus as their total number of matches has increased that's become a lesser portion overall and their real stats are revealed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tibbeh posted:

As someone pretty new to this game, does anyone have a good 5 point summary on how to play US battleships and cruisers

US battleships are better at range than Germans, and better up close than Japanese, while being slower than both, so you can't run from a German or chase a Japanese; ideally you want to reduce German battleships in hp as much as possible while they close the distance to you, so that you have a hp advantage by the time they get to their best range. Japanese battleships are exceptionally fragile, all you need to do against them is play the objectives and make them come to you, where you can pummel them, or if they ignore you and stay at sniping range you win by default. In all instances, armour angling on approach is still mandatory. Also, up to the Colorado US battleships are quite nimble and short in length, so they dodge torpedoes much better than the others.

There's exceptions to this, as the low tier Germans are just as slow, and the Fuso at tier 6 is a better brawler than the New Mexico, but otherwise it holds.

US cruisers depends what tier you're at, the playstyle moves about a bit. From tier 7 up it's all about WASD hax and leveraging strong AP ammo, tier 6 is long to medium range fire starting, tier 5 and lower is WASD and fire starting.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 27, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Exc

NTRabbit posted:

US battleships are better at range than Germans, and better up close than Japanese, while being slower than both, so you can't run from a German or chase a Japanese; ideally you want to reduce German battleships in hp as much as possible while they close the distance to you, so that you have a hp advantage by the time they get to their best range. Japanese battleships are exceptionally fragile, all you need to do against them is play the objectives and make them come to you, where you can pummel them, or if they ignore you and stay at sniping range you win by default. In all instances, armour angling on approach is still mandatory.

Except when you hit tier 8. Trying to brawl in a situation where someone can shoot your ur broadside in an American 8+ BB is a terrible idea.

In fact, you can be varying degrees of aggressive with high tier American BBs, depending on your skill level, but the average player is rewarded most by staying at range bow on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah, from tier 8 onwards American battleships are completely different, but up to tier 7 it's fine.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Sims is best used as a DoT ship, it seems. I need to spec into Adrenaline Rush... there are a lot of choices that can be made, to be honest. The flooding flags + det flags are an important combo if you're running the long range option.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Blindeye posted:

:agreed:

Hazdoc posted:

The Sims is best used as a DoT ship, it seems. I need to spec into Adrenaline Rush... there are a lot of choices that can be made, to be honest. The flooding flags + det flags are an important combo if you're running the long range option.

With a 10 point captain do you recommend CE or take DE and SE, two three point skills? Does IFHE make any sense for the Sims?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Burt posted:

Delete your mods folder then try it again. 99/100 it's a bad mod doing this. [It's always a bad mod]

I have no mods installed, i thought the repair tool would fix it, but it didn't.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Fizzil posted:

I have no mods installed, i thought the repair tool would fix it, but it didn't.

In this case WG actually hosed something with a patch.

I had the same issue, it broke my install so bad the uninstall tool couldn't remove the game. I ended up having to manually delete the game myself and reinstalling it, though that did fix my issues.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Not even RPF and maximum uptiering can stop a determined Kamikaze driver from being MVP. :iia:

GiantHurtBall
Dec 9, 2013

The Iron Hands weren't loyalists. The Ultramarines, noted for their tricks and deceptions, planted an agent within their ranks claiming to be their long lost Primarch, Ferrus Manus. Thus, the Iron Hands readily turned to Chaos and joined Horus' ranks, all to cover for the Ultramarines' own heresies.

What is that..why is it on so many ships of so many nations ?

GiantHurtBall fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 28, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

GiantHurtBall posted:

What is that..why is it on so many ships of so many nations ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paravane_(weapon)

GiantHurtBall
Dec 9, 2013

The Iron Hands weren't loyalists. The Ultramarines, noted for their tricks and deceptions, planted an agent within their ranks claiming to be their long lost Primarch, Ferrus Manus. Thus, the Iron Hands readily turned to Chaos and joined Horus' ranks, all to cover for the Ultramarines' own heresies.

Just found it myself...thanks for looking it up tho...!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So I just saw a thing. :stare:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Is that an underwater dong?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

OSad posted:

Is that an underwater dong?

You'll probably need to blow the image up to full size to read them but look at the kill feed and chat window.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Graf Spee with ramming flag, ramming a stock and stationary Colorado? Haven't run the numbers, but even with the ramming flag that seems extremely close if the CO was actually moving.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Graf Spee with ramming flag, ramming a stock and stationary Colorado? Haven't run the numbers, but even with the ramming flag that seems extremely close if the CO was actually moving.

I have no idea what the Colorado was doing but you'll notice he was the 3rd ship to get killed by that spee, he blew up 2 other ships and then closed with the colorado all without taking enough damage to die ramming the colorado. He survived long enough to kill the other atlanta before I finally managed to gun him down as a final "gently caress you" to the red team before their colorado finally hit me.

My team pretty much consisted of Myself, another Atlanta and a Nagato.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ran the numbers now, and even with the flag the Graf Spee should have taken 39,200 damage from even a stock 49,000 hp Colorado hull, let alone the upgraded hull, assuming it was moving. Graf Spee only has 39,400 hp to begin with, so while it's theoretically survivable if completely pristine, even the crap secondaries on a Colorado would probably deal enough damage to make it unsurvivable. I'm not familiar enough with how ramming damage scales with speed though, so I'm not sure just what percentage below its max speed the CO would need to be moving for him to survive, but I suspect the answer is "effectively stopped".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lord Koth posted:

Ran the numbers now, and even with the flag the Graf Spee should have taken 39,200 damage from even a stock 49,000 hp Colorado hull, let alone the upgraded hull, assuming it was moving. Graf Spee only has 39,400 hp to begin with, so while it's theoretically survivable if completely pristine, even the crap secondaries on a Colorado would probably deal enough damage to make it unsurvivable. I'm not familiar enough with how ramming damage scales with speed though, so I'm not sure just what percentage below its max speed the CO would need to be moving for him to survive, but I suspect the answer is "effectively stopped".

What if the Colorado was backing away from the Spee?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MoraleHazard posted:

:agreed:

With a 10 point captain do you recommend CE or take DE and SE, two three point skills? Does IFHE make any sense for the Sims?

Sims, like all US DDs, should be taking CE immediately. Your guns work better the closer you are, so you want to have as much concealment as possible to close that gap. Especially since the Sims is typically outspotted by IJN/US DDs you'll see. SE is now much more optional, considering how it is weaker, and competes with skills like Superintendent, DE, and BFT.
I actually recommend running RPF on the Sims, too, since its a valuable skill for chasing down hostile DDs, a task you typically undertake as a US DD. If you don't want OP Wallhacks, IFHE is an OK choice, but not 100% necessary so long as you're a decent shot and can hit people's superstructure. The fire chance reduction is a big PITA. IFHE, while nice, doesn't seem totally mandatory for non-Akizuki IJN/US DDs, especially since you can then spend those points on other skills, like Superintendent, SE, BFT, TAE, etc. Hell, US DDs could even take the smoke skill. The Russians will want IFHE due to how frequently they rely on their guns to do damage (even taking it first over CE is possible), while the Germans should learn to use their AP instead.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

wdarkk posted:

What if the Colorado was backing away from the Spee?
IIRC it would have to actually be the other way around, since from what I've seen of pubs ramming people who are running away by booping their butt slowly with their nose the person heading "away" would take less damage.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
It seems like everytime I see an idiot BB with survivability expert, it's someone puttering around in an Iowa or a naked NC. It's incredible.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Thundercakes posted:

It seems like everytime I see an idiot BB with survivability expert, it's someone puttering around in an Iowa or a naked NC. It's incredible.

wait

Lord Koth posted:

Is that how the graf survived? Rammed at full health with SE on the commander?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

wait

Is that how the graf survived? Rammed at full health with SE on the commander?

I mean it's possible, but that doesn't add all that much more health (2100, I believe), and even attrition by lovely shots should have taken off some health before then. Far more likely the Colorado simply didn't do full ramming damage, but I don't know how the specific amount of ramming damage is calculated - only what ships moving at decent speed do (the full health of their ship).

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

What percentage of ramming damage is repairable? Because the spee does get repair party. And he had almost half his health a few minutes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I haven't seen anyone post a link yet, so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i0gSGgaWJk

ATSF/Yuro's 'review' of the Missouri.